Dawn's Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
msnomer68
msnomer68
300 Followers

Chance took the news pretty well. He expected to hear it, not quite so soon. But, he expected it. He smiled at his mother, hugging her tightly. "I'm glad you're happy." He looked up, hearing Will's approaching footsteps. He shook Will's hand and narrowed his eyes in threat. "You'd better spend the rest of your life making sure she stays that way." He didn't necessarily have to worry about making good on his threat. He had no doubt that if anyone could make his mother happy, it was Will.

Candace squeezed her son, marveling at his size and strength. Now that he'd gone through the change, he looked even more like his father. She smiled up him, her eyes darting between him and Will. She loved them both, her two men. Had she ever been this happy? Had she ever felt such a sense of completeness and fulfillment in her life?

"You ready princess?" John Mark shouted at Chance. Now that the boy had fed, it was time to put him through his paces. One of the most difficult things to overcome was going to be unlearning the physical limitations of a mortal body. The old rules no longer applied. Chance had strength and abilities that he was barely beginning to comprehend. Sometimes, experience itself was the best teacher.

Chance nodded his head, shrugging his shoulders at his mom and dad. He was new to this world, overwhelmed by every new experience, sight and sound. Trying desperately to gain control of his new body and his new appetite. His fangs sprung out as the excitement of a new challenge called to him. "Sorry," he said sheepishly, lifting his hand to his lips hiding them.

"You're in charge of planning the bachelor party, Chance," Will said smiling, a knowing gleam in his eye.

"Strippers and booze?" Chance had never been to a bachelor's party. He only had what he'd seen in movies and TV as a reference.

"No, I was thinking about a road trip up north. Hunting, big game, grizzly and elk, you interested?" Will held out his hand as Chance slapped his palm in a high five.

"You know it."

"That's my boy." Will watched as his son trotted after John Mark. He itched to join them but he remained faithfully at Candace's side.

"Go on," Candace ordered swatting Will on the butt. He jumped up running to catch up with his son. She understood how badly Chance needed his father's guidance as he adjusted to his new life. She also understood how badly Will wanted to be with Chance through every change he experienced. Besides, she could use a little time alone to prepare for the big day.

Chance scrambled up the steep ravine, following after John Mark and Will. He was clumsy and slow in his new body, struggling to keep up. The snow fell heavily, blinding his vision as big wet flakes splattered against his sunglasses. Even though the sky above was gun metal gray and loaded with fat clouds, the slightest amount of daylight stung his eyes. He blew out a breath, catching up with them at the summit.

"Jump," John Mark ordered.

"What?" Chance peered over the ledge down into the deep chasm below. He shivered against the cold. Even though, it wasn't really bothering him, he still shivered knowing he should be numb from exposure by now. He glared at John Mark, "Are you crazy? I'll break my neck."

"No you won't. And stop shivering. You're not cold," John Mark barked sternly. He pushed Chance to the ledge. "Now quit being a baby and jump." In his mind, Chance was still a human and there was only one sure-fire way to show the kid what he was capable of.

"I can't," Chance protested, crossing his arms suppressing the shaking of his body. Not cold his ass. He was freezing. Wet snow clumped in his hair and rolled in melting rivulets of ice down his chest. John Mark had to be kidding. There was no way he was jumping off a cliff.

"You big candy ass. Do you want me to take you back to your mama?" John Mark needled, provoking Chance. "You're going over that ledge one way or another," he threatened, taking a step closer. He had to get Chance to take the first leap, even if it meant throwing him over the edge. Once the kid realized he wouldn't get hurt, the rest of his training would go much smoother and faster.

Will stood back, offering his support to John Mark. The first lesson was the most difficult. Learning that Chance wasn't truly human and old human limitations didn't apply, not any more. He nodded at Chance, encouraging him to jump.

"You two have lost your frigging minds," Chance grumbled, shaking his head. "I'm not jumping off that. There's no way."

John Mark shot a glance to Will and said, "I want to go home and hop into a warm bed with my wife. I really don't have time for this. What about you, Will? I'm sure you have things you'd rather be doing than standing on a cliff in a snow storm."

Will grinned, reading John Mark's thoughts. He sprung grabbing Chance around the middle as John Mark grappled with Chance's flailing arms and legs. Since the boy was unwilling to comply with their request, they were going to make him. Together, they hefted Chance up and dragged him to the steep rocky edge. With no small amount of effort, they threw him over the side. His curses echoed, bouncing off the steep, rocky walls of the ravine as he fell. Smiling, Will leapt over the ledge gracefully John Mark swiftly followed suit.

Deep snow puffed out in clouds as Chance landed with a thud on the hard packed, icy ground. He lay perfectly still for a minute taking a mental inventory of his condition. Nothing hurt, nothing seemed to be broken, he was breathing and conscious, tentatively, he moved his limbs. There was no need to call the paramedics. He was perfectly fine without a scratch. He looked up sputtering against the snow as John Mark and his dad landed with cat like agility beside him. Laughing he said, "That was too cool! Let's do it again!"

Chapter 60

Candace stared at the computer screen skeptically. "Just one click and Chance will have never existed?"

"Yeah, that's the gist of it." Toby stretched out in his chair. "Its quite simple really," he bragged. "Everything we need is on computer. A few simple keystrokes and it will be as if Chance was never born at all. As for you, well, it will take a little more work. You'll have to die," he said, grinning evilly.

"Die?"

"Yeah. Too many hand written records, birth certificates, old report cards, photos and the like. Plus, there's the house to think about. Too much data to simply delete," Toby replied. He'd been working on his plan for weeks. Now that he had all the details ironed out, he was ready, waiting on her approval to give the word.

"How do I die?" she asked. A chill ran up her spine.

"The missing persons report would rouse too much suspicion so I had to delete it, of course."

"Of course." Candace shook her head in disbelief. She mussed that if Chance were never born there couldn't be a missing persons report on her since he was the one who filed it. Impatiently, she motioned for Toby to continue.

"Flaming car accident," Toby said. He made a wide gesture slapping his hands together for effect. "I hack into the appropriate databases and fill out a few forms and voila, you're dead. No real physical evidence required."

"And the house?" Talking about her own death was giving her the creeps. But, she needed to disappear. What other choice did she have? Losing the house was going to break her heart. She'd worked so hard. Sacrificed so much for a roof and four walls.

"It looks like there's just enough in your 401K to pay it off. The house will go to your next of kin, one Cassandra Jones."

"Who?" Toby may be a whiz at the computer. But she didn't recall anyone especially not a relative, named Cassandra Jones. Where had he dug her up?

"You," he answered patiently. "I'm working her up now. Creating all the necessary documents and ID. Pretty cool, eh? You die. Your house gets paid off. And you still get to hang your stockings on the mantle for Santa Claus this Christmas. Candace Anderson dies and Cassandra Jones is born."

"Oh." Candace wrapped her arms tightly around her chest. "Do I get a grave? A funeral?"

Toby grinned widely at her. "Do you want one? Wanna pick out the stone?"

Candace shook her head. "No. So, that's it? A few points and clicks and I'm dead."

"Pretty much." Toby nodded in agreement.

She slid off the edge of his computer desk. "I can't speak for what Chance will want, but as for me, do it."

"Ok," Toby said saluting Candace. "Consider it done." He turned back to his keyboard typing at a furious rate to end Candace Anderson's life.

Candace shut the door to the tech lab tightly behind her. Her old life was gone, legally and officially, gone. She tried not to think about it. She made her way through the corridors, just a little depressed. How easy it had been to erase Chance, as if he'd never been born. But she knew he had been. Just the same as she knew she was still alive and well. She'd always know who she was and where she came from. No matter what the name on her driver's license said, she'd always be Candace Anderson, always.

*****

The following week was filled with more logic and physically defying stunts. Now, instead of being afraid and worried about getting injured, Chance was eager. Ready to lean and willing to rise to any challenge thrown his way. His changing body held him in a constant state of awe as he tested its limits. Instead of fading, his sense of wonder grew stronger.

Chance had no qualms at being deleted from the mortal world. To him it didn't matter. A name was a name. He knew who he was. He didn't need an endless digital record to prove it. Even though Chance Anderson no longer existed and as far as humanity was concerned, never had, it was unimportant to him. Each and every day he worked toward training for the opportunity to leave his mark on the world. It didn't matter if humankind knew about him or not.

The days passed quickly filled with planning, measuring, grooming and plenty of friendly chatter and companionship. Before Candace knew it, the night before her wedding had arrived. She hugged Will and her son tightly. "You guys be careful up there." She cast a glance at John Mark "You bring them back to me in one piece. And don't be late." She watched as her men, the two most important people in the world to her, disappeared into the hallways.

John Mark chuckled once Candace was out of earshot. "Trust me, we're getting the better end of the deal. You have no idea what Janine has concocted for Candace's party tonight." He shook his head. "No idea." Robbie had filled him in on all the details his ears still rang when he thought of it. Luckily, he, acting as Chance's mentor got to go on the hunting trip. Toby and Patrick had drawn the short straws and were charged with keeping the women out of trouble.

*****

Janine carefully applied her makeup for the big event. All the preparations were in order. Tonight she would give Candace a proper send off into the world of happily ever after. She pursed her lips in the mirror, making sure her ruby lipstick was spread evenly. Giving her hair one last fluff, she spun with her arms spread wide, her skirt circling around her thighs as she moved. "What do you think?"

Patrick frowned. Janine looked good. Too good to be going out around a bunch of males, barely suitable to be going in public with all that exposed flesh hanging out of the low cut V neck. He crossed the room and tugged on her skirt pulling the hemline down to a respectable length. He slid a hand up to the neckline of her low cut clingy knit top, tugging it up to cover her cleavage. "That's better."

Janine giggled at Patrick's old-fashioned possessive tendencies, swatting his hand away and readjusting her top and skirt. "Stop it. You're going to be with me and we're not leaving town. How much trouble could I possibly get into?"

"You keep us locked in here any longer, strutting around in front of me with those spiked heels on and you're going to find out," Patrick replied. Lowering his lips to the plunging neckline of her blouse, he growled deeply fighting against the urge to take her to the bed and erase thoughts of any other male from her mind, far away.

"If you're a good boy. I'll leave them on after we get back." Janine's voice was husky with rising desire. "Oh, don't kiss me," she said, ducking away from his mouth. "You'll smear my lipstick." She grinned eagerly. Tomorrow was Valentine's Day and she was holding out, playing hard to get.

Patrick huffed in reply. Smear her lipstick? When he got her back to their room, he'd see those ruby tinted lips parted and swollen with passion. He'd have to hold out for a few hours and let the girls have their fun. This was their night. "Let's go round up the ladies. Get the party started."

Janine jumped excitedly and let out a whoop as she snatched up her purse. Tonight was going to be fun. She'd opted to rent out the private party room in the back of the local bar. She'd seen how Alex had struggled to keep her hunger at bay and how on edge she'd been hip deep in humans. She hoped Alex and the others vampires in the party would be able to relax and enjoy themselves.

*****

Anna trotted around Toby's room in a flurry of activity as she finished getting ready. She'd opted to go with a pair of snug, hip hugging black denim jeans and a royal blue silk blouse with a little plunge to the neckline. Her blonde hair swung loosely around her shoulders. A hint of makeup accentuated her eye color. She smiled feeling Toby's stare on her back. "Well, do I look ok?" she asked.

"Edible, utterly edible," Toby answered. He wound his fingers through the belt loops of her jeans, pulling her close against his body. "I'd rather keep you here and spend the night worshiping your body. Paying homage to all my favorite parts." He traced his fingers lightly down the front of her blouse tugging at the buttons.

"Later horndog," Anna scolded, lifting his fingers to her lips. Teasingly, she slid his index finger between them sucking gently. "I've got a few parts I wouldn't mind paying tribute to myself," she said, nipping the end of his finger.

Toby smiled knowingly. Her mouth said yes, but her eyes told him that he'd have to wait. "Let's meet up with the others." Toby reluctantly dragged her from the bedroom. "You're not going to look at any of those other guys are you?"

Anna snickered. "Its you I'll be happily coming home with."

Toby sighed, "I'm such a stud. Of course, you're right. And its you I'll be happily taking to my bed tonight." He kissed the tip of her nose lightly.

"Hopefully, many nights to come." Anna blushed at her confession. She couldn't help it. She wondered if she were beginning to fall in love. As soon as the thought blossomed into fruition, she stuffed it down deep, away from the forefront of her mind.

Toby smiled inwardly. She was falling for him. Finally becoming aware of her feelings. All of his efforts were falling into place. Soon he'd be able to spring his trap, snaring her deeply within it.

*****

The group met at the compound's garage entrance. All were present and accounted for Janine smiled gleefully. Candace, Alex, Anna and Toby, Patrick, and Robbie. She bobbed excitedly as Neil slid out of the shadows. "Are you coming too?"

"No, I'm going to skip out. I'm not very confident around people yet," Neil said sheepishly staring down at the floor.

"Oh, that's ok. Well, we'd better be off." Janine threw an arm around Anna and directed the group into the night.

****

Neil had been sulking around for days after hearing that he would not be allowed to participate in the trials. He'd hoped by now he would have gained the trust of the others, Candace had. Even Marcus, who had bolted, was hooked up with the trackers in the city. He was the only odd man out. It didn't matter he had better things to do with his time. Tonight, the compound would be virtually empty, except for the trackers on leave from a round of patrols in the city, and the Shaman, he was it. Tonight, he could have a look around, a very good look around.

Chapter 61

Candace gasped in wonder. Her eyes roamed the room, taking in all the decorations flooding the small space. Streamers, balloons, and glitter sparkled in the swirling multicolored lights framing a makeshift stage. "It's so pretty!" Even as a child, she'd never had a party of this magnitude thrown in her honor. She hugged Janine tightly in a friendly embrace. "Thank you. Thank all of you!"

Janine smiled smugly. She knew Candace would love it. Well, just wait until she saw the entertainment. Breaking out of Candace's embrace, she guided her a lone seat in the center of the room and positioned a glittering rhinestone crown on her head. Popping a cork free, Janine filled the crystal glasses with champagne, topping off Anna's, Leigh's, and her own with a little extra, since they were actually going to drink the stuff. After passing out the glasses, she lifted her glass in a toast. "To Candace."

Leigh took a sip from her glass and sneezed at the bubbles. She wasn't sure what to expect, with Janine's tastes for the flamboyant, but she'd agreed to come anyway. She slid out of her coat and trotted over to her daughter, hugging her in a light embrace.

"Mom?" Alex shot Janine a menacing glare. Her mom? How could Janine have gotten straight-laced Leigh Gray out of the house on a blustery February night to see a bunch of male dancers?

"Oh, hugs Leigh, I'm so glad you came!" Janine refilled Leigh's glass and clapped, signaling the lights to dim and the party to officially start. The lights dimmed and loud thumping bass filled the tiny room. Eagerly, she took her seat, yelling at the top of her lungs, clinking her glass against Anna's, draining it, and pouring another round.

Candace shrank into her chair in embarrassment as the quartet of oiled, mostly naked male bodies danced onto the stage, undulating and gyrating their way to the center of the room. The men were nice looking, well built and muscular, but they weren't Will. He was the only man she wanted to see sweating under the stage lights and shaking his package in her face. She blushed as dancers lifted her up in the chair, bouncing in time with the music.

Janine whooped wildly as the first set ended. She thrust a fist of dollar bills at Leigh, "You're next woman! Get up there." She pushed Leigh to the front of the room and plopped her down in the chair.

Leigh laughed hysterically. Her face glowed with embarrassment as the men circled and danced around her. Gingerly, she tucked a dollar bill into the G-string of the blond who stood in front of her grinding and strutting his stuff in her face. She'd never had so much fun or such a good laugh. She thought of Alexander, who was most likely snoring in front of the TV by this time. Clinching a bill in between her teeth she stood, blushing wildly as one of the men lowered his face and brushed his lips against hers as he clamped down on the crisp bill with his front teeth.

"This much man flesh shouldn't be wasted," Janine shouted in Anna's ear over the din of rap music. "I'm going to go into the bar and spread the word."

"Hang on, I'll go with you. I have to use the bathroom." Anna followed Janine from the table only to find her waist locked in firm arms. She gasped as one of the dancers lifted her as if she were light as a feather and carried her to the center of the room. She danced in the middle, tangled in oiled, muscle bound, men, forgetting about the bathroom. The men passed her from partner to partner, groping and bucking wildly against her body. "Girls! Come help me out!" She gestured to the table of giggling women.

Janine returned with a waitress loaded down with a tray full of drinks and a gaggle of howling women. "Now this is a party!" She took three shot glasses of brownish liquid off the tray passing one to Anna and one to Leigh. "It's a Slammer. You slam it on the table and when it fizzes you gulp it down," she explained, demonstrating proper Alabama Slammer technique. Wincing against the burn as it trailed down her throat, she reached for another. Ignoring Patrick's disapproving scowl, she jumped into the fray of male bodies on the stage.

msnomer68
msnomer68
300 Followers