All Comments on 'Days Forgotten but Not Lost Ch. 08'

by nageren

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Excellent

I loved this story, real sense of connection. It started off kind of seedy and became extremely intimate and relatable. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

*drowning in tears*

DevotedWifeDevotedWifealmost 9 years ago
What an unusual, wonderful story!

Wherever did you get such an idea? Please share that, if you would.

I am going to go back and re-read it, in order to appreciate what you have accomplished here. As with multiple readings of a favorite book, this time I will savor it. In fact, this is a book-worthy story.

I really like the characters of Mellie and Scott, and I was so glad this chapter was all about them, and that no further drama was associated with Vicky. Although I suppose some readers might have liked you to extend the suspense of whether or not they got back together and the details of working out a new relationship, I think we all knew how it was going to end.

I am wondering why Amelia got hooked on pain relievers. I would have expected her to have experienced depression at that point and been prescribed a different drug. And I might have missed this, but did Scott always call her Mellie, or was that his new name for her, just as he dubbed himself Scott?

I have enjoyed all your work. I have often read posters stating they wish they could give a story more than five stars, but I have never felt that way before. This is the first time I am frustrated by the simplicity of the rating system.

I eagerly await your next story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Wonderful story!

What a terrific conclusion to your excellent story! Your premise (the amnesia) has been used in lots of stories and books, but you gave it a fresh and invigorated approach. At its center, this was a story of love, then love lost, then love found again in a newer, better way. It has been a true joy to read. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future!

DonnaBeckDonnaBeckalmost 9 years ago
Bravo

Excellent ending! You did a wonderful job from start to finish.

MitchFraellMitchFraellalmost 9 years ago
Superb

A well written, well paced narrative. Thank you for your work. I was half expecting to find that Vicky was involved in Mellie's accident or that she had some other misfortune planned for her. Still, a romance has to have a happy end and Mellie was rescued from her own destruction.

bigdnc13bigdnc13almost 9 years ago
Amazing story; amazing writer

Another great tale. You've quickly become one of my favorite writers. Your stories are so well structured and written I feel I'm in the story invested in the characters. Thanks for all you've given us and I look forward to your next effort.

nagerennagerenalmost 9 years agoAuthor
@DevotedWife

Thanks for the encouraging words!

The only hints that Scott has always called her Millie were 1) that he first uses it in an unguarded moment when he can't keep up the ruse (see chapter three) and 2) that on their "rock", the initials "R&M" -- Reuben and Millie -- had been carved many times over the previous decade (see the beginning of this chapter).

As for the origin of the idea for this story, when thinking about writing a series, as opposed to a single-chapter story, I tend to write stories where the relational tension is not simply a question of "do these two people like/love each other enough to have sex?" So I'm caught between wanting to include at least one sexual encounter per chapter while also trying to keep sex from being the focal point of the narrative. I try to come up with ideas of scenarios where two people might plausibly have an ongoing sexual relationship and yet find their relationship is still unstable. The sexual component usually draws out, highlights, or agitates that instability.

I consider the relationship from the perspective of both characters, asking myself, "what is it that drives him towards her and her towards him?"

In the case of this story, it all began with a conversation I was having with someone about the need for husbands to continue to woo their wives, to not take their relationship for granted. My friend and I wondered if our respective wives would still be interested in us if we met for the first time today, forgetting the years of marriage behind us.

Then the mental image came to me of a woman who had forgotten about the years she had shared with her husband, requiring him to once again battle for her affections. So the couple begin a sexual relationship, but his goal is to win her heart. Her motivation is to feel connected to someone, and sex has been the only way she could feel something resembling the connection she desires.

elling50elling50almost 9 years ago
Beautiful

Interessant plot and a well written story. I love your emphasis on character development, and I craved and loved the happy ending. Thanks.

acupacupalmost 9 years ago
Wonderful well rounded series.

The only thing I could have wished for was maybe a bit more investigation into her 'accident', could it have been Vicky trying to eliminate her for good?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Great story

Loved this story. It was filled with labyrinths both past and present. The last chapter tied up all the loose ends in a way that didn't feel rushed or forced. Great job. Great story.

jurasickjurasickalmost 9 years ago
Another great story

Having read all your stories here, I would this say this one showcased your immense writing talent as well as the increasing sophistication in storytelling. It didn't hurt that the sex was also more graphic than in some of your other stories and that you somehow managed to weave it into each chapter. Great stuff. In Millie and Scott, you we probably have a new interesting pair to complement Gina and Andrew (although "A Strange Arrangement" is still my favorite Nageren story!).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Terrific

I thought this was a great story, second only to A Strange Arrangement. Like ASA, it had believable characters we could relate to, and a story that held our interest right up to the end.

One concern was Scott: he didn’t seem to go through any arc, he didn’t change at all throughout the story. Unlike Andrew in ASA, who realized his mistreatment of Gina and grew as a result of it, Scott seemed to me to stay the same person throughout this story. He acted against the advice of his counselor and developed a relationship with Amelia, thereby betraying her all over again. If something catastrophic were to happen to Amelia, would Scott react any differently? We have no reason to believe he would. Don’t get me wrong, I think this was a good story, but IMHO it would have been even better if we could see Scott’s growth as well as Amelia’s.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

Waiting for your next story :)

tennesseeredtennesseeredover 8 years ago
Enjoyed this story...

...and I read it in one sitting. But it struck me as a little too contrived. Using post-traumatic amnesia as a literary device quickly runs up against this reality: People aren't the same after a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Usually, more than old memories are lost (retrograde amnesia). Mental skills in general are degraded. Personality is changed and affect flattened. People with TBI don't get as happy nor as sad as they did before the injury. Higher intellectual functions especially suffer. I doubt that Millie could resume high level creative writing, for example. And I believe that TBI victims develop dementia earlier and more often than the general population. Aside from that, great story and well told. Sex scenes are hot, as usual, and again you have created interesting characters a reader can care about. I mention this TBI angle because a story this good will likely inspire other authors to use amnesia as a plot device. In reality, this kind of clean, distinct, retrograde amnesia is rare.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Wonderful story 5*

Please keep on writing, you are one of the best on this site.

kiwiplumkiwiplumover 6 years ago
Thank you

Just a wonderful story, enjoyed the whole thing, you're clearly a professional. Cheers

Rake456Rake456about 6 years ago

Amazing as always. Can't wait to see what you cook up next!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Love it

Amazing story, love the emotion and the way the events unfold and the characters develop. How you bring two lonely people together

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago
New beginning, many of us need that

Wow, what a story, the build up, the mystery, the love. Amazing writing.

JusteenKJusteenKover 2 years ago

Wow Wow Wow!!!! I loved this story so much. Maybe one day you'll revisit it.💋

geek37geek37about 2 years ago

Awesome series. Kept me riveted all throughout.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Possibly Vicky had something to do with her accident!!

Her bitch mother at the second wedding was puke-inducing!!

Vicky really got off too easy!!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Great stuff!!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Amazing story arc. Top notch. Vicky was a psycho.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernageren@nageren
I try to write realistically- describing believable people in plausible situations. None of the characters is "me," but many of them represent aspects of my personality and history. My hope is that, as you get to know my characters, you will find yourself thinking-...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories