All Comments on 'Deal With It'

by VampGirl1991

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
ILienBagbyILienBagbyalmost 12 years ago
Well, I sort of

knew that fortitude, a belief in my own talent, and an ability to ignore being ignored were all essential to my sanity while I continue to submit stories to Literotica. What I must add is that I still end up, after writing a piece that I feel is underrated, misunderstood or woefully not commented upon, wanting to punish those of MY READERS WHO LIKED A STORY BUT FAILED TO SO INDICATE BY COMMENTING OR VOTING. They, not those who don't like a story, are the real miscreants, and I usually end up vowing to myself to punish those people the only way I know how, by not writing anymore! Well, that is a vow I have ended up breaking at least ten times. The people I am upset at are NOT those who don't like my stuff (I feel sorry for their lack of aesthetic acumen), but those who may have enjoyed reading a story I submitted but failed to indicate their enjoyment. Believe me, an interesting or thoughtful comment is worth much more than a low rating is worth. Anyway, thanks, Vamp Girl, for your essay.

PunjiPunjialmost 12 years ago
Very nicely written

Some great advice not only to authors and would be authors but also to readers. I, for one, try to be very specific in my criticism though I know I could do better. I work on the assumption that if people took the time to write something and post it on this forum and I feel strongly enough to comment, that I should comment on what I like and what issues I have, so that the author can improve.

Thanks for posting this and for your other contributions.

theaquarianpentheaquarianpenalmost 12 years ago
I write because I can

It is my hobby. I did it long before Literotica came into being. Getting a story published is a kick (thank you literotica) but I would write anyway. I'm not crazy about the people with the red pen who force me to follow the rules. But I recognize the need. But what I like is telling the story that part is the fun part. Which is why I usually get rejected two or three times before I make the people with the red pens happy. I should probably be better at following the rules. I tought writing to junior high kids for thirty years. But even then I was more interested in getting thoughts on paper rather than followingt rules. The kids I taught may not follow all of the rules but, you will know what they think. It IS all about communication after all.

Scotsman69Scotsman69almost 12 years ago
What a lovely heartfelt piece!

Thank you so much for this. I've been where you've been, and know exactly how it feels.

I have nearly 50 stories up. At one time, a majority of them had red Hs. Now none of them do. All of a sudden, about a month ago, all my best stories lost their red Hs. Either a powerful bombing campaign by someone who hates me and has many friends, or a huge glitch by the Lit scoring system. (I don't hide the fact that I'm on the left, and know that doesn't endear me to many US readers.) Some stories lost up to 80 points. In a few days.

I've written to Lit about it but heard nothing back.

I'm tempted not to bother posting anything more here. There are other outlets for my work.

I'm not ever going to be the most popular author on Lit, or anywhere else. I'm uncompromisingly Scots in my style of writing. Left and green. And I write as I want to, not as many Lit readers seem to expect.

And, um, I hope I'm LITERARY. I do NOT write jerk-off porn.

Thanks for your piece. It may help my fingers click the keyboard again.

estragonestragonalmost 12 years ago

You get the feeling of an author very well, have the right attitude, and impart it. Just a few minor mechanicals mar an otherwise well-written piece.

slow_n_gentleslow_n_gentlealmost 12 years ago
Truthful, but sad

I write for my own enjoyment and hopefully the people that decide to read it. I would prefer one estregon telling me what was wrong and how to improve it to a dozen readers that loved it without further comment. To me the whole purpose of the public comment is to give beginning writers like myself a public forum where readers tell you where you are lacking in your story. If you look at some of the original stories writers submitted before 2004, the comments were positive and helpful, not slams by anonymous or bleacher seat critics aimed at attacking a writer because of what they wrote. Maybe some of the writers have the right idea, turn off the voting and comments and just write to be writing.

Aussiemale50Aussiemale50almost 12 years ago
Thank you

I appreciated this. I've read some very vitriolic comments, many pointed at cuckold stories. When people lodge that kind of criticism, they forget that they have just read a story; it's not someone pushing a particular lifestyle choice down their throat.

Personally I chose not to read gay, lesbian, horror or non-human stories. That doesn't mean the stories are bad, it's just that they don't appeal to me. If I were to read one because it had an H rating, or was from an author I liked, I wouldn't criticise the lifestyle. I may mention poor formatting (hate long paragraphs) or grammar but not the genre.

I much prefer loving wives, erotic couplings, group, anal, romance etc. and will rate and comment if the story turns me on - and that's why I'm here. If the story is long and if it gets boring, I simply stop reading and find something else.

I implore other readers to get over the politics, to stop criticising lifestyle and focus on the art of storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
i gave u a 5

hell not everyone liked dickens!

StarofAirdrieStarofAirdriealmost 12 years ago
Thank you!

Another thoughtful How to piece for writers! This was helpful. I'm only a perspective here, but I do post on another site, but I read a lot here, primarily in the Romance category, and I find the writing impressive. Perhaps it's all you Brits... :-)

It's been interesting to read some people's stories and their concerns on how things are. Because I'm not posting, I can't commiserate. I vote on the stories I read and comment when I can. As far as my own writing, I came to fiction writing as rehab after cognitive damage; in some clinical class somewhere I learned that reading and writing fiction improves cognitive functions. I read fewer fiction books than nonfiction one before, I preferred them, but as a way to get my 'brain back', I read here, and I read and write on another site.

javawarriorjavawarrioralmost 12 years ago
I really enjoyed this...

I've been saying for a while that constructive criticism makes you stronger, while unconstructive criticism should have not affect whatsoever. You need to be able to identify those comments that simply do not matter. If you are strong and confident in the decisions you've made, you should be able to look at any comment and know immediately if the person is right or wrong, regardless of the tact or empathy they use to express it.

DarkAurther6969DarkAurther6969over 2 years ago

Unfortunately for me I would like to Stick with it but Lit won't Let me Upload any more Stories than my only on out of some Godzilla Sized Mistake, Despite me Getting One Constant Non Constructive Criticism for that one to which I felt I was forced to Turn Off the Comments. And those Comments Simply Read "Boring" with out any Explination Why they all Felt that Story was 'Boring'.

bobareenobobareeno9 months ago

You nailed me. Published two stories a while back, and it was quite humbling. The second did a bit better, which helped, but overall it made me recognize that the gift of talent is not necessarily one I have received.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous