Deception

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Maybe. Max, I'm a busy person. Exactly why did you ask to meet with me?"

I decided to shake the tree. "I have reason to believe that you do know DaVanna Caruso."

"If I did, what of it?"

"I'm not sure. I'm trying to put the pieces together right now."

"Max. You're talking in riddles." She got up and picked up her shopping bags. "If you have anything concrete you want to discuss with me, make an appointment. Otherwise, I've already given you more time than you deserve."

She left without saying goodbye. Her latte was left untouched.

I was now more certain than ever that there was a connection between her and DaVanna. I also wondered if maybe she had a connection with another attorney in the Prosecutor's office. She was lying to hide something. Maybe there were a few more rocks I could kick over.

Chapter Seven

Alessandra

"So you don't know if you're gay or not?" I asked Lesley.

My partner, who was driving, seemed perturbed by my question. Apparently the department's mandatory sensitivity training didn't modify my behavior. Maybe it was because I took the course at home and was "multi-tasking" while I was clicking through the program.

"Did you want me to pull over Max and let you out?"

Apparently I hit a nerve.

I looked out the window at the hard rain falling outside.

"No thank you."

"Look Max, I'll say this one last time. I'm not gay, I'm not straight, I'm Lesley. I'll find love when I find it. Unless you're hitting on me, just leave it to me, will you?"

Touchy, touchy. If we didn't talk about relationships or sex, there wasn't much else to talk about. Lesley wasn't interested in baseball, or for that matter any type of sports. I was getting tired of talking about me.

"All right Lesley. You can tell me what you want when you want to."

"Thank you Max," she said sarcastically.

"A little attitude, boot?" I asked her.

"Technically, I've worked past my probationary period so I'm not a boot anymore," she replied indignantly.

"Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"Max, sometimes you can be irritating, like now. So what are we doing here?"

We arrived at the address I'd given her. Lesley shut off the engine. It was Alessandra's house. It was her day off from Nicky's.

"We're seeing Alessandra Caruso," I told her. "DaVanna's younger sister. She broke into a law firm at DaVanna's direction. DaVanna recruited Trong Lai to intimidate the witnesses who could have supported the charges so Alessandra was released from jail. In exchange, DaVanna held back a murder charge against Trong. We're seeing if Alessandra can shed some light on this story."

It was a pretty spectacular story. Lesley was hearing it for the first time and was skeptical. "Do you know if this is true?"

"As far as I know. My sniffer tells me this story is true. I just can't prove it," I responded.

"It's a serious charge, if you can prove it."

"Trust me, I didn't want to tell you until I started connecting some of the dots. We're in dangerous territory, fucking with DaVanna Caruso."

"Max, not only is this a potential career ender, if she gets wind of this she's going to find some reason to put you in jail."

"That's why I'm being careful. I need hard evidence before this story goes out to anyone at the station. She has spies everywhere."

Lesley looked out her side at the rain sheeting against the car windows in waves.

"This is a shitty neighborhood. I thought her family was loaded."

"They are, but Alessandra was disowned quite a while ago by her parents. She got into a lot of trouble as a teenager and spent the majority of her teenage years in a juvenile hall."

"I see. Do you think Alessandra will rat on you for snooping around?"

"It's a chance we're going to have to take."

"OK. You're asking a lot of me partner."

"I know. I wouldn't bring you in on this unless I thought I was right."

Lesley seemed satisfied. I could see her trust in me was growing.

"I've got your back, Max."

"I know."

"We're going to fucking die, aren't we?" she asked. She learned by now that I'd done some pretty crazy things.

"For sure we will, I'm just not sure it's going to be this year."

She opened her door. Rain pelted down on her. "Might as well get this show on the road."

Alessandra's house looked as run down as ever. Even though she now had steady employment, she chose to continue to live in this sketchy neighborhood. The omnipresent non-working refrigerator was still blocking the front door to the house and the driveway running past the screened in porch on the side had cracked and heaved enough that you'd trip and fall on your face unless you were watching your feet.

The outside door to the kitchen was protected by the screened in porch. I knocked on the screen door. Rain was dripping off my shoulders. I could see Alessandra inside the kitchen, cooking something. She stopped what she was doing and came out to let us in.

"Max. Get in out of the rain."

She held the door open for Lesley and me.

"How're you doing?" she asked. "And who have you brought with you?"

"As good as ever, and I've brought my partner Lesley Groesbeck."

Lesley came forward to shake her hand. Alessandra was just as attractive as her sister, but more in a natural style. She had no make-up on and wore clothes from a second hand store. She was taller and leaner than DaVanna, and didn't have her older sister's hourglass figure. She did, however, share DaVanna's iridescent and flawless mocha complexion. She was stunning in her own right.

It was quite a contrast to see Lesley and Alessandra side by side. Alessandra was a good six inches taller than my partner, a brunette as opposed to a blonde, with smaller breasts than Lesley's voluptuous build.

The kitchen counters were cluttered with spice jars and mixing bowls. Good smells were emanating from the Dutch oven on the stove.

"Every time I come here it seems like you're cooking," I noted, snooping around for something to eat.

"It's my occupation, in no small way due to you."

I appreciated her recognition of my efforts. Alessandra was finishing her certification at a local culinary school. I introduced her to Nicky, who then happened to be looking for a new chef for her diner. She hired Alessandra, and the diner did even better with a new chef and a refreshed interior and menu.

"What are you making?" I asked, bellying up to the stove.

"Braised pork for pulled pork sandwiches. We're thinking about adding it to the menu."

She pulled the colorful lid off the Dutch oven. A rush of rich and potent flavors hit my nose.

"It smells terrific," I told her.

"Proof's in how it tastes." She stuck a large fork into the tender meat and offered me a small taste. I chewed on the flavorful meat. She offered a piece to Lesley, who gratefully accepted it in her mouth.

I gave her my instant review. "It tastes better than it smells. Fantastic."

"I've got to agree with you Max," said Lesley, chiming in. "If this was on the menu, I'd order it."

"Over the fried chicken?" Alessandra asked.

The diner was built around its reputation for the best fried chicken in Cincinnati. Lesley paused for a moment. "I'm not sure I'd go that far."

"Fair enough, but a winner?"

"I'd say so."

"It's good of you to see us on your day off," I said, getting to the matter at hand, though tempted to ask for a full portion of the pulled pork.

"Max, anything for you. Nicky mentioned you'd be stopping by today."

She motioned for us to take seats at the kitchen table to continue our conversation.

"Coffee?" she asked.

"Yes please," I answered.

"Me too," said Lesley.

Alessandra pulled a half full pot from her coffee maker.

"So what can I do for you today?"

"I wanted to talk about the laptops."

She chuckled. "Won't let that you go, will you? I told you before that I don't know a lot about it."

She poured a cup for both Lesley and me.

"DaVanna asked you to steal them."

"I'll neither admit nor deny."

She'd been hanging around too many lawyers, including her sister.

"I'll take that as a yes."

I took a sip of my hot coffee. Its taste was as seductive as she was.

"Do you know what was on them?" I asked, hoping to strike gold.

"I was never told and if I did take them I gave them to someone else after they were taken."

"And the law firm. Why that firm?"

"I can't tell you. I don't know."

"But you were given a list of names of the attorneys. That wasn't random."

"That could be true."

I wasn't getting anywhere. I decided to shift gears.

"How's your relationship with your sister?"

"How much time have you got?"

"Give me the short version."

"She's a narcissistic and ambitious woman. She knows what she wants and takes it, by whatever means necessary."

"That's a harsh assessment of your own flesh and blood."

"It's true."

So true. She took my girlfriend.

"So if she asked you, which I know you're not admitting, did you do it out of familial obligation?"

"Let's put it this way. I got in a lot of trouble when I was younger. DUI's, joyriding, drugs. She spent a good deal of time bailing me out."

"That's love, isn't it?"

"No it's not. She did it because then she had something on me. That's the way she works. She uses her power to get others to do her bidding. I was just a pawn, just like the other people in her orbit."

Her answer told me that she wouldn't go running to her sister to tell her about this conversation. I took a shot in the dark.

"Do you think it has anything to do with Maureen McDowell, and her sudden early retirement that cleared the way for DaVanna to assume the top spot?"

"I wouldn't put it past her."

"Did she ever mention Maureen to you?"

"Not really. Just the usual political double speak."

"OK."

"But now that I think of it I did hear a while back from DaVanna that Maureen's husband got a DUI and she was asked to, in her words, 'deal with it'. You might want to look into that."

"All right." It was a small lead, but it was more than I had going in there, which was nothing.

"Other than that, I can't think of anything."

It was clear we were done. I finished my coffee. I got up and Lesley followed.

"Thanks for your time."

I offered her a hug, which she accepted.

"Max, can you stick around for a second?"

"Lesley, why don't you wait in the cruiser. I'll be out in a minute."

"Sure," she said, taking her leave.

I was waiting to hear a tidbit that was for my ears only. It wasn't what I expected.

"Max. Your partner's cute. Is she seeing anyone?"

"Not that I know of."

"Would you mind giving me her number?"

"I didn't know you were into women."

"I dabble. I'm interested in her."

"Sure. I'll text it to you."

"Thanks Max, and good luck with DaVanna. I think the chickens may finally be coming home to roost."

I went out into the driving rain, re-energized after the visit, and thinking about ordering the pulled pork the next time I was at Nicky's.

* * *

Lesley had the cruiser running and the heater on full blast when I got in. The top part of my uniform was drenched and my shoes were soaked through. I took off my hat and shook the water off.

"So what was that all about?" she asked me. She was as nosy as I was.

"Apparently you have another member of your fan club."

"What does that mean?"

"Alessandra asked for your phone number."

Her baby blue eyes brightened up.

"Really?"

"Uh huh. She thinks you're cute."

"I think she's beautiful," Lesley said wistfully.

"So that's a 'yes' for me to give her your cell?"

"Yes. I'd be nuts not to. Am I missing something boss?"

"No, I don't think so," I told her.

Max, the matchmaker, I said to myself with a satisfied smile.

Chapter Eight

Doubt

It was a few days later and the night after Alessandra had taken Lesley out to dinner.

"So how did it go?" I asked my partner. Lesley was driving and I fully expected her to shut me down like she usually did when I asked questions of a personal nature. I was surprised when she didn't.

"It went great."

That was three more words than I expected. She opened the door for the next question.

"And?"

"And she's a sweet woman under that unpolished exterior. There's a lot to like."

"She's hot," I added, in case she had forgotten.

"Yeah, there's that too."

And then the elephant in the room (or in the car) . . .

"So, did you . . .?"

Lesley took her eyes off the road for a split second to scowl at me.

"That's where I put my foot down. You've asked enough questions Detective Pemberton."

"Sorry, I can't help it." I really couldn't. Impulse control wasn't my strong suit. Everyone knew that, especially her.

"Like a lot of things you do," she muttered under her breath, thinking I couldn't hear her.

My infallible smutty mind radar went off. They did. Good for them and good for Lesley.

Lesley was rescued from my interrogation when the radio crackled and dispatch called us with a burglary in progress. Lesley followed protocol and went silent to the address. That necessitated weaving through traffic and dodging obstacles. My young partner really improved her driving skills the way she was handling the car. She was quickly developing confidence, which was both a blessing and a curse. Either too little or too much spelled disaster in the West End.

We ended up in a crappy neighborhood with abandoned cars parked on the street, and houses with plywood covering their windows. We saw two punks sprinting down the street with gang colors on. They split up when they spotted us and peeled through the front yards of houses two doors apart.

I saw a stocky guy with a bulging pillow case slung over his shoulder. The taller, skinnier guy wasn't carrying anything.

We got out of our vehicle. I pointed to the guy with the pillow case. "Let's get him!" I yelled to Lesley. I started running and saw Lesley out of the corner of my eye running after the other guy instead of following me. She must have figured we could get both. I was worried she had figured wrong, but I didn't want to break my pursuit since I'd almost caught up with the pillowcase guy. I was getting winded and at least for a moment regretted the drinking, smoking and late nights.

My guy had just scaled a chain link fence. I called for back-up while I watched a hilarious scene unfold in front of me. The juvie was coming back over the fence towards me. An angry Rottweiler had a hold of his pant leg and was successful in pulling off his pants before he fell on my side of the fence.

I pulled my billy club off my belt and held it over his head. He was cut and bleeding from both the fence and the dog.

"Try me," I told him, as I loomed over him.

He knew it was going to be the next day before he remembered being hit. He raised up on his knees and meekly raised his hands. I didn't have time to finish a routine arrest. I needed to help Lesley.

I looked at the snarling dog and came up with a quick solution. I handcuffed him to the bottom of the chain link fence. If he tried to pull away from the fence he would raise up the bottom of the fence, freeing the pissed off Rottweiler who was currently shaking his empty pair of pants.

"Sit here asshole and don't move." His boxers offered little protection as he sat his ass down on a patch of prickly weeds.

"Get a big piece of his ass if he tries to get away," I yelled to deputy dog. I ran off towards Lesley.

I could hear scuffling and yelling as I rounded the corner of an abandoned house. The tall, skinny teenager in a hoodie was standing over Lesley, who was on her back protecting her face with her hands. He was holding a large rock and preparing to bash her over the head. I launched myself headfirst into his side and knocked him over, with me on top of him. The blow stunned him and he said nighty-night when my fist connected with his jaw.

Lesley was in tears, getting up and brushing the dirt off her formerly spotless uniform.

The guy on the ground wasn't going to move anytime soon.

"I fucked up boss," Lesley said before I could utter a word.

"Jesus Lesley," I said back, not having to say the rest, like she could have gotten killed.

"Thank you Max," she said second. I saved her life and she knew it.

She starting crying again and I didn't think it was the time to pile on. She was vulnerable, and I didn't want her to make any rash decisions, like quitting. Instead I put my arm around her and let her cry on my shoulder.

"You're a good cop," I reassured her.

"Not really," she choked out between sobs.

"You know . . ."

Before I could finish saying "you could have been killed," she said, "I know."

With a crying woman on my shoulder I defaulted to my tried and true. "Let's get a drink together after we get off tonight."

She pulled herself together and helped me drag our second suspect to the squad car. Back-up arrived and finished up with Mr. Pillowcase, who was still sitting inches from a snarling dog. I got into the driver's seat with my shaken partner riding shotgun. I didn't start the car.

"I think you know what I'm going to tell you," I said to her. She had wiped the tears off her face and calmed down.

"I need to be perfect."

"That's right. You've just seen that your first mistake can be your last mistake."

"Max, I want this."

"I know Lesley. Is this for your dad or is this for you?" If it was the former, she needed to get out. She reacted like I'd completely misread her and got her back up.

"Did you have to ask me that Max? Really? After all the shit I've gone through with you, do you think I did all that for daddy? Fuck you."

"OK. OK," I said, holding up my hands. I noticed the back-up car was already gone and it was just us sitting on this shitty street. "Let's get going."

I started the car and drove out of the neighborhood and onto the main drag taking us back to the station. Little was said on the ten minute drive. We needed to get through all of the bullshit paperwork that would be waiting for us, and then immediately adjourn to Bailey's to hash all of this out.

* * *

We met up at Bailey's after our shift was over. Maddy wasn't working that night so I staked out my reserved booth instead of sitting at the bar chatting with her as well as Lesley. Alessandra was working that night at Nicky's, so Lesley was going to be by herself anyway.

Bella, one of the waitresses I know, came over and took our drink orders. This was a cop discussion so we each ordered straight shots of Jameson's. The first one arrived as we were making small talk and it went down and didn't slake my thirst. I pointed to Bella, who was standing next to the bar, and she nodded her head.

"Lesley, you fucked up today."

"I know Max, I know," she answered right away. "I broke procedure. I know that. I thought I could get the other guy."

"Of course you did. You're getting confident out there and confidence brings with it danger. You think you can do anything in the West End but you can't. In this case, procedure is there to protect your life. Do not. I fucking repeat, do not separate from your partner. Otherwise we can't protect each other's backs. Capiche?"

The drinks arrived and we pounded down the second shot before she answered.

"I've got it."

"Yeah, and a pretty shitty way to learn that lesson," I added. "Look Lesley, you're a good cop and you've got the strength and the know how to handle the West End. But you know and I know you're undersized. That means you have to be absolutely fucking perfect ever time. You think about that before you come in tomorrow. If you get into the squad car you're telling me that you're going to be perfect. Got that?"

"I got that too, boss."

I ordered our third round. She was my partner and I was going to protect her with my life.

1...34567...13