Deliver Us From Evil Ch. 03

Story Info
Conclusion; funerals; will the criminal cheat Justice?
12.3k words
4.86
4.6k
7

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 11/02/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

Special note: There are NO sex acts involving minors in this story nor any of my stories. Any explicit acts or discussions of them are about adults 18 or over.

***

Part 16 - Sins Of The Father

10:00am, Thursday, August 5th. It had been two hours of chaos outside the Courthouse.

Tony Long had brought his vehicle up, and E.J. Jefferson was in the car with him. I put the young priest in their custody and asked them to send me the bastard's booking mug shot photo. They drove off to City Police Headquarters as I went over to the crime scene. Johnny's body had been removed and taken to the Morgue. Several Wrangler Circus members that had tried to hold his body together needed to be cleaned up, as did Teresa, and that was done.

Teresa was nearly in shock (the medical condition). "Are you okay?" I asked.

"He... he asked me to sing to him... like I sang to Sarah." she said, her voice seeming far away.

"And you did." I said, putting my arm around her shoulders. "It was all you could do for him, and you did it." She nodded and leaned into my side for support for several long moments.

City Police were processing the crime scene. I'd told Teresa to talk about only the events of the murder, not of the hours leading up to it. We gave our statements, and I said I'd be following up with Detectives Long and Jefferson on the arrest of the priest that had thrown the grenade. They wanted me to go to CPD Headquarters right then, but I said I would finish here first.

The Wrangler Circus people were distraught, but they all asked me one question: did Kevin make it to the Grand Jury? I said I would go in and check as soon as they re-opened the Courthouse, which was on lockdown. And at 10:00am, I got a call on my Police iPhone that I could go inside. Teresa came with me.

As we walked down the hallway towards the Grand Jury rooms, I saw State Attorney Faye Dunlan and U.S. Attorney John Jones talking with FBI Special Agents In Charge Jack Muscone and Ashton Cardigan of the Cyber Division.

"Good news?" I asked.

"And then some." said John Jones, who was a tall, bald black man. "Both Grand Juries returned indictments, and we're getting the warrants now. Mr. Cardigan, would you like to tell the Iron Crowbar your good news?"

"Sure." said Cardigan. "Commander, as you know, U.S. Attorney Jones went to Judge Herbert with a request for a FISA warrant to monitor the communications of Cardinal O'Leery. The warrant was granted, and we recorded a phone call between him and that young grenade-throwing priest you arrested this morning. Cardinal O'Leery ordered him to kill Kevin Thomas. And when the priest asked how, because there were people surrounding Thomas, O'Leery told him to throw grenades at them."

"We've got him, then." Teresa said, her voice breaking and almost a whisper. "We've got him for murder."

"You okay, Teresa?" Jack Muscone asked.

Teresa was about to break down crying. I held out my trenchcoat and enveloped her as she buried her head into my side, in a similar way to what I'd done for Susie Haskins at University Hospital. (Author's note: 'Who Watches The Watchers', Ch. 04.)

I said "We knew the man who was killed outside. Teresa watched him die." They all nodded. I then asked "Where's Kevin? I want to see if he can identify this suspect." I showed them the photo on my Police iPhone. It was the mug shot of the young grenade-throwing priest.

"He's in the cafeteria with his Deputy escort." said Jack Muscone. "You'd think he hasn't eaten a decent meal in three years... oh, wait." I smiled at the joke, and it helped Teresa recover.

As we all went down the hall towards the cafeteria, Teresa said softly "Sumimasen, sir. I have embarrassed you in front of everyone. I have no excuse."

"Nonsense." I replied. "And work is the best antidote to sorrow. Let's go do some work now."

We found Kevin in the cafeteria. Teresa recorded on her Police iPhone as I asked Kevin if he knew the man in the photograph.

"That's him!" Kevin exclaimed. "That's O'Leery's assistant, the young priest that... held me down while O'Leery... molested me."

I said to Faye Dunlan "I believe some additional charges are warranted."

"An admirably exact word, 'warranted'." Faye replied.

Some moments later, Teresa and I went outside. The Wrangler Circus people were waiting for us. And right behind them was a gaggle of journalists and camerapersons. Good, I thought to myself. Let them disseminate this.

I held up two documents and said loudly "These are State and Federal warrants for the arrest of Claude Cardinal O'Leery for murder, rape, and a serial pattern of sexual molestations---"

I was interrupted by a huge wave of cheering and applause, mostly from the Wrangler Circus people. After watching the murder of their comrade Johnny, it was the best news they could possibly have heard at that moment...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:00am, Thursday, August 5th. Teresa and I went to City Police Headquarters, and were escorted to the Interrogation Rooms. Detectives Tony Long and E.J. Jefferson greeted us, as did FBI Supervisory Special Agent Julius Jefferson.

Tony Long said "We've been getting calls almost non-stop with people wanting to come forward with their stories. We're going to have to figure out what's real and who's making stuff up, or transferring the Cardinal's bad name to the deeds of some other priest."

We went into the anteroom and I saw the young priest sitting at the table, his hands cuffed to the ring on it. He was wearing a stylish orange CPD jump suit and slippers; no belt, no shoelaces.

"Has he invoked?" I asked as I observed him.

"No." said Julius Jefferson. "But someone from the Vatican Embassy in Washington called, and demanded we not interrogate him without him having a lawyer present. And Commander... I've also gotten word that the Vatican is demanding that O'Leery not be arrested, and that the State Department is going to intervene on the Church's behalf."

"Then I better get going." I said. "What's this bozo's name?"

"Brother Phillip..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"His eyes
Were just the end
Of Hell
All pain,
Inarticulate."
--- James Clavell, 'Shō-gun'

I went into the Interrogation Room and walked slowly up to the table. Brother Phillip was looking at me with overly bright eyes. I sat down at the table opposite him.

"The way you took me down," he said, his voice almost a hiss, "you don't need to keep me chained to this table, do you?"

"It's not my call." I replied. "So tell me, why does a priest with a bright future in the Diocese and the Catholic Church throw a grenade into a crowd of innocent people, huh?

"Innocent?" Brother Phillip said "They're not innocent. They were trying to bring down a great, great man. They were helping... helping you... bring him to harm."

I said "So you think Cardinal O'Leery is a great man? Even though he raped a young man... with your help?" I straightened up just a bit and said "Because the victim identified your photo, and said you are the one that held him down while the Cardinal sodomized him."

"It was consentual. That little shit wanted it." Brother Phillip said. "He was all over His Eminence. He was begging His Eminence to use him."

I said "And you? Do you beg the Cardinal to use you for his sexual pleasure?"

"You bet I do!" Brother Phillip said. "His Eminence is a great man! He is going to be the next Vicar of Christ. I'd do anything for such a great man."

"Including murder?" I asked. "So when he texted you and told you to kill Fred and Ginger Thomas, you did it?"

"That wasn't me." said Brother Phillip.

"But throwing that grenade was you." I said. "But why the grenade? Why not shoot Kevin with a gun?"

"Too many people in the way to intercept the bullets." Brother Phillip said. "But I only got to throw one before you took me down."

"Thank goodness." I replied witheringly. "That grenade was military-grade stuff. Where'd you get it?"

"From the military, idiot." Brother Phillip said.

"And the Cardinal told you to use the grenade if there were people surrounding Kevin Thomas?"

"His Eminence is a brilliant man." Brother Phillip replied.

"And the car bomb that killed Keith Madden?" I asked. "That was you, too?"

"That was a contract hit." said Brother Phillip. "And I'll say no more about that---"

Just then the door flew open, and in walked Nathan Masterson of Gresham & Mason, P.C. "Well!" he said. "Why am I not surprised to find the SBI's favorite little Jew boy interrogating my client without me present?"

"You're a Jew?!" Brother Phillip snarled.

"By ethnicity." I said. "I'm technically Protestant by faith."

"And you're interviewing my client without me present, Bar Code." Nate Masterson said almost jovially.

"He never asked for an attorney." I said as I got up. "But he may need a priest soon. I'll be arranging to have Cardinal O'Leery join him in a jail cell. Sooooonnn."

"You'll never take His Eminence down! He is a great! man!" yelled Brother Phillip. "He probably on his way to Rome now! The next time you see him, he'll have been elected the Bishop of Rome, the Vicar of Christ!"

"Vee shall seee..." I said as I turned and walked out of the room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's nuts." I said as I reconvened with the others. "He has gone insane."

"Don't say that." said Jack Muscone, who had joined us at City Police HQ. "He just gave some seriously corroborating testimony."

"And why did he do that?" Teresa asked skeptically.

"He's brainwashed." I said. "He's the sacrificial lamb, pun not intended. But yes... why the confession, especially since I am anything but a priest?"

"No doubt about that." Teresa said cattily. A red crowbar was waved in her general direction.

Jack Muscone had barked a laugh at that. Then he said "I came here to tell you that the shit is about to hit the fan. The Vatican has already demanded that Cardinal O'Leery be allowed to fly to Rome in spite of the indictment. The State Department is allowing a Vatican diplomatic plane to come to City Airport to pick him up. It'll be here this afternoon."

Muscone: "And that's not all. They are demanding that no one but Catholic priests enter the Catholic Cathedral. The State Department is backing that up, and demanding we do not enter the Cathedral. And if we can't enter it, we can't serve His Eminence with the warrants for his arrest. So if he somehow gets from the Cathedral grounds to the diplomatic plane... he will be allowed to fly out of the country with the U.S. State Department's blessing."

"Pun not intended." I said witheringly...

Part 17 - Under Siege

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 1:30pm, from a temporary desk set up 150 feet from the Catholic Cathedral in the City Center. "With me is Tim Sioban of KSB News in The City. We are broadcasting jointly as we cover the fast breaking story of the indictment of Claude Cardinal O'Leery!"

Tim Sioban: "A State Grand Jury joined a Federal Grand Jury in issuing indictments against His Eminence Cardinal O'Leery, Archbishop of the Diocese of The City. The allegations include a pattern of sexual crimes against parishioners, many of which are past the Statute of Limitations."

Bettina: "The Church issued a statement vigorously denying the allegations. The Vatican has demanded that Cardinal O'Leery be allowed to fly to Rome for the impending conclave of Cardinals, as His Holiness Pope John Paul IV is near death. The U.S. State Department has issued a statement saying they are cooperating with The Vatican."

Sioban: "Federal Judge Ruth B. Taney issued an order that no one but Catholic priests can enter City Cathedral, and that the immunity of the diplomatic plane being sent to City International Airport be respected. His Eminence's whereabouts at this time are unknown..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A command tent, really just an awning, was set up in front of the Courthouse across the street from City Cathedral. As the SBI Reserve Inspector on active duty, I was technically the ranking State-level Officer at the scene. With me at the location were Teresa; State Patrol Captain Carnegie, commander of the City District; City Police Detective Tony Long; and City Police Captain Kari Vance.

Kari Vance was attractive, medium height, slender and shapely. She was white with brown hair that she had cut and styled fairly short. No one should be surprised that I noticed her legs, as she was wearing a dark blue dress and medium heel pumps.

She had been a solid and honest Police Lieutenant, and I'd expected her to be put in I.A. as the CPD rebuilt it. Instead, she was promoted into their Major Crimes division.

"I've heard all about you, Commander." she said as Tony Long introduced us. "I really appreciate you cleaning out the rotgut at the top of CPD a few months ago. I finally got my promotion to Captain."

"And well deserved, it was." I replied. "You're in charge of the City Police here today?"

"I'm the tactical commander at the scene." she replied. "Commissioner Savage says to keep him in the loop, though." Ah, she's the sacrificial lamb, pun fully intended, if and when this goes sideways, I thought to myself.

I introduced Teresa, and Captain Carnegie introduced himself to all of us, as he was recently promoted to the City District State Patrol commander position.

"Captain Vance," I asked, "are there any underground tunnels to and from the Cathedral that would enable the Cardinal to sneak out of the building?"

"Maybe." said Captain Vance. "We are right in the North River's basin, and if we dig too deep we get flooding. But who knows what was put in when the Cathedral was built? Nothing shows up on the schematics in the City Permits Office, though."

City Police Detective Tony Long said "Commander... I mean Inspector... the diplomatic car is going to be coming from the Italian Consulate just north of here. We're going to monitor it closely, and if it deviates and tries to go anywhere else but here, we'll know it and might be able to move in on it."

Captain Vance said "The City's civilian government leaders are scared to death of upsetting the Feds, but it is the formal position of all of the City Police, from the Commissioner on down, that we will arrest the Cardinal if we can physically get to him."

"Good. That's my position, too." I said. Then I looked up and said "Uh oh, here comes trouble." Indeed, Michael J. Parker of the Department of State had gotten out of a vehicle and was coming up to us, escorted by two Federal Marshals I did not know. FBI Special Agent Peter Page was right behind him, with Federal Marshals Dugan and Powell as his escorts.

"Hello, Inspector." Michael J. Parker said, extending his hand, which I perfunctorily shook. I introduced everyone else there to him, and he shook their hands. I did not bother to speak to Peter Page nor shake his hand, and he only announced his name and office without shaking anyone's hand. I did notice Teresa quietly position herself between me and Page, to protect me.

"Who are these people around the front of the Cathedral?" Michael J. Parker asked, seeing the Wrangler Circus people trying to form something of a barrier around the building.

"People that O'Leery abused in the past." I said. "They're not causing any trouble."

Peter Page said "We can shove them aside when the diplomatic car for the Cardinal arrives."

"I don't want any violence, if we can help it." Michael J. Parker replied. "But Inspector Troy, you have to understand that you must let the vehicle come through, and let it take the Cardinal to the Airport. A very serious diplomatic incident will occur if you don't. If you try to stop it, our diplomats worldwide could be put in danger of retaliation, as well as general lack of respect for diplomatic protections between nations."

"I have one question." I asked Parker. "Why are you doing this, and by you I mean the American Government? We've got this bastard cold, ice cold. He will be convicted by the evidence we have amassed on him. He is a murderer, a rapist, and a serial molester. Why are you doing this?"

"Because it's what I was sent here to do, and what I was told to do." said Michael J. Parker.

Peter Page said loudly "Unlike you, Troy, we obey the orders of our superiors in the American Government. And if you don't like that, you can shove that red crowbar right up your faggot kike ass!"

Teresa and Tony Long quickly got between us so that I didn't do the right thing and cleave Page's head in two with my crowbar. That did not stop Page from continuing his insults.

"And if you do try to arrest His Eminence, or if any resistance to us by anyone occurs," Page continued, "I have ordered the Federal Agents here to shoot you dead."

Teresa said "And if you try, I will personally shoot you dead."

Michael J. Parker tried to be diplomatic; after all, it was his job. "Guys, guys! Come on, this isn't helping. Inspector Troy, I don't like it any more than you do, but that's what has been decided at the highest levels, including the Presidential and top State Department level. And a Federal Judge has ordered that all your LEOs stay out of this and don't try to do anything to him. I need your cooperation, Inspector."

"That... you do not have." I said. "If we can serve that warrant and arrest O'Leery, then that is what I am going to do..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:10pm, Thursday, August 5th. Things started happening.

Jack Muscone came to the command tent and said "The diplomatic plane is an hour out. And we've confirmed that Cardinal O'Leery is in the Cathedral, the main cathedral itself, with what we believe to be six other people. We got that from cellphone communications from within."

Tony Long reported: "The City has cut off water, gas, and electric power to the Cathedral property. We've sent texts ordering them to evacuate and come outside, but no response."

Captain Vance asked "Should we call the Cardinal, and begin a negotiation?"

Peter Page said "Don't bother. We've already told His Eminence that we will get him to the diplomatic plane, no matter what it takes, and no matter how many of you local shit eaters we have to kill to do it."

As Kari Vance recoiled at Page's uncouthness, he continued: "And I wasn't kidding, Troy. Anything at all, and all of us Feds here... well, the loyal ones... will do whatever it takes to kill you. And if your little cunt here manages to kill me, someone will make sure you die, and her with you."

"Ignore him." I said to Teresa and Kari. To Page I said: "I don't think you realize what you're up against." I hit the 'send' button on my personal iPhone, and a text went out.

Three minutes later, we heard the first rumbles. They came from north and south. The rumbles grew into a mighty storm of noise as the motorcycles began driving in. Row upon row of metal steeds drove by us and parked in a cleared-out parking lot. The logo on the backs of their denim jackets was a Statue of Liberty on a blue background, and white lettering on red script that announced them to be...