All Comments on 'Delta Dawn'

by chas4455

Sort by:
  • 26 Comments
njlaurennjlaurenover 4 years ago
Interesting tale

Quite southern gothic and well written. As far as Dawn goes I would bet on the lover she was waiting for,what would she need a suitcase for if she was waiting for hubby? Plus she knows Bobby is dead,she doesn't know Jimmy is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Would have been more satisfying if Bobby had shot Jimbo before turning the gun on himself. Witnessing both deaths would have made Dawn's condition more believable.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 4 years ago
Oral history

I like your distinctive storytelling style. It reminds me of the oral histories I grew up listening to from my old world grandparents and their contemporaries. These long run-on remembrances were essentially my family genealogy. No other records existed.

Even though their stories focused on births, deaths, and marriages, they were also embellished with, and punctuated by anecdotes and ‘war stories’. Who wronged who, who murdered who, historical events, etc.

As I read “Delta Dawn” and then “Going for a Walk”, I had a nostalgic sense that I was listening to the same type of oral storytelling. Thank you for sharing. Very enjoyable.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Wow

Now that was a great short story there. I can see and feel the small towns in the Mississippi Delta where I spent some time during my military service. You got the people right too, without using hokey southern, redneck dialect. I enjoyed the references to that great Tanya Tucker song "Delta Dawn", right down to the faded rose that she had on. Great stuff!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Awesome

Like the flow and style. I was a bit surprised dawn fell for the guy and surprised the judge lets her wait for her lover that will never come. Her sitting there is a daily reminder his child is a cheating wife.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 4 years ago
Southern law and Southern justice . . .

. . . are not always the same thing.

I liked the line about the kudzu being the only thing holding the barn up. There is more than one barn in the South in such condition.

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago
Excellent Story

Well done, sir.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
She ain't right in the head, ya see...

I guess being the witness to the murder you caused isn't a good recipe for ongoing mental health.

what does death look like? And can she still see it from the park bench?

So jes xactly how do dem ducks make her feel better? What with all the quackin' and fighting over bread and such?

S'pose that the judge jes kep her out dere like a billboard, now a finely published message, not to think too hard about why y'all needed ta keep to that Sunday school learnin, and why the most impo' nt rule in THIS house is ta kep ya hands ta yerself!

Honestly, this wasn't bad, and I gave you 4 stars. Thank you very much for the contribution!

TailakaTailakaover 4 years ago
A slice of life story

A slice of southern life with simple references to honor, family, & southern justice. I agree you managed it without being hokey and dialects. All it was missing was pecan pie to go with the coffee, but I doubt that's a breakfast treat.

PolyLvrPolyLvrover 4 years ago
Tanya Tucker

Never thought I'd actually learn something from L.W. I thought Helen Reddy was the original artist but I found I was incorrect.

Well told story.

patilliepatillieover 4 years ago
Really good

pls write more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Husband or Lover?

I would say Dawn was waiting for her husband. The dress she was wearing was the one she bought for her honeymoon. She was packed for with a shoulder bag and a small suitcase which could be assumed to be enough for a honeymoon. So my thoughts are she is in shock, totally blanking out about Bobby's suicide and is stuck in a loop waiting for her betrothed to start their married life together.

For something completely different, anyone else thought about SaddleTramp's cheating zone when Dawn's mother disappeared at the beginning of the story?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Don't

Don't keep us waiting long for your next story.

fisheronefisheroneover 4 years ago
All loose

When a shark enters a fish pool and the fish ignore the teeth all loose. One his eternity one his life and another her sanity. Once this small town found out about his past, he should have been handed over to the ones he had already swindled.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
All lose

It’s 2019.

When people don’t know the difference between “lose” and “loose,” all lose.

danoctoberdanoctoberover 4 years ago
Very nice indeed.

Looking forward to your next story. *****

robroy93robroy93over 4 years ago
Great story

Your story brought back memories. I spent three months in Mississippi once, while working a case. Your story made me feel the heat and humidity of the Delta. The characters ring true also.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 4 years ago
Just missing the Dolly Parton melody

Been a while since I herd that song

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago

Delta Dawn was Tanya Tucker's big hit. I've never heard Dolly do it. I love his story.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerabout 4 years ago

Interesting--but a little hard for me to follow. You could really make it a winner with a little more work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Wonderful flow and style. I immediately bought into the story and wanted to know what happened. Keep up the good work. TC ireland

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's just amazing how folks in that part of the country have a knack for solving problems of an unsavory nature. LP

slowhand21slowhand217 months ago

Wish they got ahold of Jimbo before he sullied Dawn.

Calico75Calico757 months ago

Well done! Great story. Love that Southern justice.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang19552 months ago

Sad. All of you that bitch all the time. Why do you read this?

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnonabout 1 month ago

Good story, a different twist on the genre.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userchas4455@chas4455
Thank you for constructive comments. I'm working on editing some of my existing stories and then adding some new ones I've been working on. "Spring of 45" is the first edit I've submitted. If that works I have some others in mind.

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories