Desperado

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers

"Oh," I said getting red in the face.

I studied her for several seconds. Lorena Dunston was a fine looking woman. I couldn't tell by the way she dressed that she was the Madame of a bordello; that's a term I learned later. She looked like a well dressed schoolmarm or a banker's wife or something. I figured Miss Lorena was 35 to 40, about the same age as my Ma would have been. I found out later she was closer to 50 than to 40. She was tall for a woman, with long black hair and big brown eyes. Like I said she was dressed like a lady but she sure filled out her dress in all the right places.

Miss Lorena saw that I finally understood what type of house she owned, she told me, "Understand Mr. Lowell, all I'm offering is a clean room to sleep in and a couple of meals."

"Yes em. Thank you, I accept. Don't mind sleepin on the ground but I'm gettin right tired of trail food."

I tied the lead rope of my pack horse to my saddle horn and leading my saddle bronc I walked with Miss Lorena to her "fancy" house. She handed me the packages she'd carried out of the mercantile with as if I were a gentleman escorting her home. In a way I guess I was.

On the way to her house Miss Lorena talked about her business and her girls. She wasn't embarrassed or apologetic about how she made a living. "I provide a service for the railroad men, travelers, and some of the locals. They can come and have a little fun with a nice girl in my house and they know they won't be beaten or robbed. In return I'm well paid for providing that service."

Some of the ladies of the house were in the kitchen when Miss Lorena and I came in. The three young ladies sitting at the table sort of perked up when I walked into the room.

********************

Clint stopped his story to refill his Mason jar and offered Sam the bottle. Sam didn't really want another drink but poured some whiskey into his own jar. The old man nodded his approval.

"Those 'soiled doves' as they were called were very interested in me. I was younger than most of their clients, clean cut, and I wasn't bad looking either." Clint laughed until he had another coughing fit. "You have to understand Sam that I wasn't always the beat up, broken down, old cowboy that I am now."

Sam nodded and Clint said, "I was just over 6 foot, tall for a man at that time. I had a full head of wavy brown hair and I hadn't grown this yet." Clint stopped, stroking his full bushy mustache. "Anyway the ladies seemed real interested in me." ********************

"Howdy," one of the ladies said as she walked toward me. She had on a peignoir, another term I learned later, and not much else. The other two was dressed about the same way. Not to be outdone they came toward me too.

"I'm May Bell," the first girl said. She took my hand as if to shake it but pulled it to her chest. "And who are you?"

"Back off girls," Miss Lorena said. She could've kept quiet as far as I was concerned. I was enjoying my hand on the girl's bosom. "This is Mr. Lowell and he's just here for a couple of meals and a place to sleep for tonight. He's not a customer. Understand?"

The girls nodded and went back to the table. Miss Lorena explained how we had met and her offer to put me up for the night. I thought the girls seemed to be disappointed. Don't know if it was because I wasn't going to spend any money or if it was because they wanted a tumble with a younger man.

Miss Lorena's cook, a big bosomed black woman named Josie, fixed lunch for me. As I ate I looked around the kitchen, mostly to keep from staring at the pretty women sitting at the table. I had noticed that the house had at one time been really something but it needed some work. There were a couple of the kitchen cabinet doors hung open, the back screen door drooped, and the water pump at the sink shifted back and forth as you tried to pump water.

"After you've finished eating, you can put your horses in the barn," Miss Lorena told me. "There's your room," she said pointing to a door down a hall leading from the kitchen. "I've got some book work to do and I'll see you later. If you need anything ask Josie."

"Yes ma'am." It was the best lunch I'd had in a long time. In fact it was the first lunch I'd had since I left Pleasant Valley. Normally on the trail I only ate two meals a day.

"Miss Josie, that was a right fine meal. Thank you," I said. When she turned toward me I asked, "Are there any tools and such around here? Thought I might try fixin those cabinets and the screen door. No need to sit around doing nothing and it's too early for sleepin."

"There's a box with saws and such in the barn Mr. Lowell," she replied laughin at him for calling her Miss Josie.

"Thank Ye." I took my horses to the barn, watered and fed them, and turned them into a couple of stalls. Picking up the tool box I went back to the house and worked on the things I'd mentioned. I fixed a few other things before Josie rang the supper bell.

It was early evening, about 4. The girls need to eat early so they'd be available for clients later on. Miss Lorena invited me into the dining room and pointed to a chair next to her. There were six girls already seated at the table. This time they were dressed for the evening in dresses with short skirts and low necklines. The skimpy dresses were their working clothes. That was something else I learned later.

After supper, Miss Lorena invited me to join them in the parlor where the girls would sit around waiting for clients. She had hired a piano player to entertain guests while they waited for their chosen lady. A well stocked bar was also available. Handing Clint a glass half filled with whiskey, Miss Lorena sat next to him. "Understand you did a lot of repair work on the house today. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Wasn't much but I don't like just sitting around waiting for bedtime. Thought I'd make myself useful while I'm here."

"That's something I'd like to talk to you about Mr. Lowell." Miss Lorena took a sip of her wine and looked at Clint for several seconds. "I'd like to offer you a job Mr. Lowell."

Clint was surprised. "I don't know nothing about this type of business ma'am. Don't know of what use I could be."

"I know about my business Mr. Lowell. That's all that's needed. I want you to be a sort of maintenance man. You can fix things that need fixing, like you fixed the pump in the kitchen. Anything you can't do, you can hire someone to do. Basically you'd be the house manager."

Thinking about staying in one place instead of roving around appealed to Clint. "I reckon I could do that ma'am."

"In addition, I'd want you to sit here in the parlor during our busy times. We don't have much trouble here, I won't allow it. But once in a while a client will act up. He might not like having to wait for the girl of his choice, or he might have too much to drink or he might refuse to pay for the services. If that happens I expect you to handle the man and resolve the situation."

"Reckon I can handle that too," he replied.

"I will pay you $70 a month. You can sleep in the room you'll be using tonight and I'll provide your meals. Will that satisfactory Mr. Lowell?"

Clint was surprised at the wages mentioned. Except for the money Jolly had put aside, $70 was more cash money than he seen in five years. "Miss Dunston, you just hired yourself a hand."

"Miss Lorena will do fine Mr. Lowell. I'm glad you accepted my offer. You can start work this evening." She looked him over for a minute and said, "Go to the barber, have your hair cut and take a bath. Then go to the general mercantile and get some better clothes. If you're going to sit in the parlor you must look respectable. Here's $5 for the barber and tell Mr. Mitchell at the store to put the clothes on my account. I'll expect you back in the parlor in two hours Mr. Lowell, if you please."

"Yes ma'am," Clint said. He went to the barn, got his horse and rode into town. Sure don't want to keep Miss Lorena waiting, he thought.

********************

Sam couldn't help but smile at the happy look on Clint's face as he told his story. "That job must have been a wonderful thing for a young boy from the back country," he observed.

"It was one of the best parts of my life, let me tell you," Clint replied with a grin. Still grinning he continued, "About a month after I took the job the girls found out I'd never been with a woman. I sure didn't tell them but they found out. Every one of those six ladies decided she was just the one to teach me the ways of the world."

Clint seemed pleased at the memory. "There was hardly a night that I didn't have company in my bed. I slept alone sometimes when a cattle drive came through town or on a really busy night but that didn't happen very often."

********************

"I'd been at the "house" for about two months" Clint said continuing his story. Before Miss Lorena mentioned what the girls and me was doing. One morning she came out to the barn where I was muckin out horse stalls. She stood and watched me for a couple of minutes.

When I saw her I stopped working. "Somethin I can do for you Miss Lorena?"

"I understand my girls have been adding to your education Mr. Lowell," she answered.

"Huh?" I asked.

She smiled and said, "One or the other of the girls have been warming your bed most evenings."

I got all red faced and finally stammered, "Yes em. I didn't know it was a problem."

"No problem Mr. Lowell. What the girls do on their own time is up to them." Miss Lorena paused for a few seconds and then said, "I know a young man's first time can be, let's say emotional, but I warn you don't get too fond of any one of the ladies."

"I don't understand ma'am."

"Don't fall in love with one of my ladies," she explained. "They're working girls and it's their job, and most times they're pleased, to make a man feel special and loved. But don't get caught up with that. You'll just end up hurt and angry."

It was sort of strange that she would say something to me, or maybe she knew but I'd started to get feelings for one of the ladies. Molly Dawson was her name. At 19 she was the youngest of the girls and I spent more time with her than any of the others. She was about 5' 4 and slender with red hair and bright green eyes. She had freckles across her nose and in other interesting places.

Miss Lorena's warning came too late. I was already half way in love with Molly. Don't know where it would have gone because about three weeks after Miss Lorena talked to me Molly left. Seems one of her regulars, a cowboy from a local ranch, was movin to California and asked Molly to marry him and go with him. She packed her things, kissed me goodbye and left without a how do you do.

I guess I was heart broke. Miss Lorena spent extra time talkin with me and spent one night in my room. I quickly got over Molly. I lived in that house for goin on four years and that was the only time she came to my room. The rest of the ladies did their part to see that I didn't feel too bad about Molly leavin. It wasn't any time at all before I hardly remembered Molly.

Miss Lorena was never anything but Miss Lorena to me; even after she comforted me about Molly. I called all the ladies by their given names but she was always Miss Lorena. I was always Mr. Lowell to her.

We never had much trouble with the clients but when we did it came in spades. The pudgy man who hit Miss Lorena the day I met her was one. Sometimes we'd get a cowboy or travelin salesman or a railroad man who would get a little rowdy but not often.

One fall evening the ladies were very busy. We had a cattle drive passing through, the railroad had ten or so men at the hotel in town, and four of our town regulars was in our parlor. A grizzled cowboy started arguing with one of the railroaders about who was next with one of the girls.

The cowboy pulled his pistol. "By God we'll just see who goes next," he yelled in drunken anger.

"Put it away Mister," I said standing with my hand on my gun butt. He turned and raised his pistol toward me. I drew and fired real fast, just like Jolly had taught me. Lucky for the cowboy I was able to pick my target and hit him in the shoulder. Marshal Tucker never came by the house to investigate.

It wasn't the only time I had to use my gun but it didn't happen very often. Mostly I could persuade the angry men to go outside; sometimes I had to teach them some manners.

********************

"Sam I lived in that house with Miss Lorena and the ladies for four years," Clint told the young reporter. "It wasn't always the same ladies you know. They came and went as the wind blew them."

"Did all of the ladies want to help out a young man," Sam asked with a smile.

"Pretty much. I think in four years there was only four or five of the ladies who didn't cotton to educating me." Clint grinned and added, "Not a bad average son, not a bad average at all. I guess I'd stayed forever but..."

The old man stopped and poured himself another drink. "One morning Miss Lorena didn't come down to breakfast. Miss Josie sent one of the ladies up to get her. We heard a scream and rushed upstairs. Miss Lorena was sorta propped up on her pillows. She looked real peaceful like but she'd passed away in her sleep."

The older man looked out over the valley for a few minutes. Sam waited for him to continue. It was several minutes before Clint went on with his story.

********************

"We buried Miss Lorena two days later. You'd a been surprised at all the people who came to the burial service. Not many women, besides our ladies, but several important men from town. There was even a representative from the railroad." Clint smiled. "Reckon she cast a large shadow." Then he frowned.

"Two days after we put Miss Lorena to rest, Marshal Tucker led a man to the house. He was pompous looking, sorta fat, with a serious face and wore a collared shirt and tie."

"Howdy Clint, ladies," Marshal Tucker greeted me and tipped his hat to the girls sitting on the porch. "This here is Joe Dunston."

"That's Joseph Dunston if you please Marshal," the dude said.

"Miss Lorena's son," the Marshal added.

I heard the ladies gasp behind me and I was durn near polaxed myself. Miss Lorena had never talked about any kin, much less a son.

"Well howdy Joseph. It's nice to meet you," I said walking down the steps and stickin out my hand. "Your Ma didn't tell us about you."

Dunston ignored my hand. "Now that I've seen the property I've decided to sell it. I have a good offer from the railroad; I believe I'll accept it."

"But what about the ladies Joseph?" I asked. "Where will they go?" I hated to leave but I'd been on the move when I came to Deming; I could be on the move again.

"It's Mr. Dunston young man and I couldn't care less about these...these...whores," he said with contempt.

That's when I knocked him down. "You son of a bitch," I yelled at him.

Marshal Tucker grabbed me and pulled me away from Dunston. "Settle down Clint." Then he smiled and said real low, "That's what they are after all."

"Maybe so but that don't give the horse's ass the right to talk to them like that," I replied.

"Marshal arrest that man. He attacked me and you're a witness," Dunston ordered.

"Mr. Dunston, I decide who gets arrested around here. And all I saw was you tripping over your own feet." Turning back to me the Marshal said, "Reckon y'all better get ready to move on. C'mon Mr. Dunston, you've done about all the damage you can do here. Ladies," he said tipping his hat again.

The Marshal said Miss Lorena had left instructions with him two months ago for him to contact Joseph if anything happened to her. "I'm sorry as hell to have to do this but y'all have to get out by the end of the week." He looked each of us in the eye and added, "I don't have a choice; Dunston got the judge to issue an eviction notice."

That gave us five days to figure out where to go. Four of the ladies took the stage west to find a new town to work in. One of them went back east, to a home she'd left several years ago. Lilly said that with her savings and the donation by Joseph that she had saved enough to open a millinery shop and get out of the whore business.

Me? I saddled my horse, packed the panniers on my pack horse and rode southeast again. I thought I'd give Texas a try.

********************

This time it was Sam that poured more whiskey into the Mason jars. Clint smiled as the boy handed him the half full jar.

"What donation by Dunston and why'd you pick Texas?" Sam asked. "I mean you knew more about the New Mexico area."

Clint had a big grin on his face that showed in his eyes too. "Reckon I can tell you. The, what do ya call it, oh yeah; the statute of limitations has run out. Joseph swore out an arrest warrant on me so I thought I'd better leave Marshal Tucker's jurisdiction."

"A warrant? On what grounds?" Sam asked.

"Miss Lorena never trusted banks much. She kept most of her money in a strong box. One of my jobs was to guard that box; I kept it under my bed. Joseph knew about his Ma's distrust of banks but it seems that when he took over the house after we left that strong box was lighter. I mean the box was still there, sitting open on the kitchen table, but the money was gone."

"How much money and what happened to it?" Sam was grinning too as he asked the question.

"Well...Let's just say that the ladies, Miss Josie and the house manager had a stake when they left. As I remember it worked out to about six hundred dollars each."

Clint chuckled and added, "Mostly in gold Double Eagle's it was. I thought it best to leave Deming and Luna County, New Mexico."

******************

A little over a year later I rode into Pecos, Texas. Pecos was a railroad town on the Texas & Pacific line. A lot of cattle drives ended up at the railhead. I hadn't been anyplace special, just drifted around for a spell. Between the money I'd earned at Miss Lorena's and my share of what was in that strong box, I was pretty well set and didn't have to work.

I stopped in Pecos for one night, figured I owed myself a soft bed, a good meal, and a visit to a saloon. The visit to the saloon was a bit longer than I intended. There was a few dance hall girls in the place and they reminded me of the ladies at Miss Lorena's.

The next day I didn't get on my way until mid morning. It was late afternoon when I realized I'd forgot to fill all three of my canteens. Guess the poundin headache I had when I woke up kept me from thinking straight. I saw a cabin and a barn not far off the trail and rode to it.

Riding up to a well in front of the house I sat on my horse until a man came out. "Be obliged if I could fill my canteens Mister," I said.

The man stared at me for almost a minute before he answered. "It can be a fer piece between water holes. Step down and drink your fill, then fill your canteens. I'm Zebadiah Thomas."

"Clint Lowell, Mr. Thomas," I replied as I dismounted.

We talked as I filled my canteens and watered my horse. I found out that he was having problems with the cattlemen cutting his fences as they drove their herds toward Pecos.

"If I didn't have to fix fences all the time we might make a better go of it. It's good land for growin things but every time a herd comes though the cattle stomp my crops in the ground. I don't understand why they can't stick to the trail out there. Don't have time to do all that needs doin." Thomas stopped and gave me a small smile. "Sorry when I get started I sometimes don't know when to stop. Where you headed Mr. Lowell?"

"Clint is good. Don't rightly know where I'm goin. I was run off my ranch up to Pleasant Valley Arizona four years ago and been driftin ever since. Cattlemen run me off but ifin they hadn't the sheep men would have. They both wanted my water hole."

"If you've a mind I can put you to work for a while," Zeb told me. I'll pay you $30 a month and found." Looking at my low slung pistol belt he added, "I'm hiring a farm hand not a gunfighter, understand?"

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers