Desperado

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers

"I can work cattle, mend fences, train horses or just about anything else needed on a ranch."

"Where are you from? Where do you call home?"

"Well...I don't rightly have a home anymore, Mrs. Conroy. Guess you could say where I throw down my bed roll is my home." She raised an eyebrow at me. I don't know why her unasked question bothered me but I continued, "My step father was killed and I had to leave our ranch before the same thing happened to me. Been driftin for several years now."

"Where was your ranch?

"Arizona, Pleasant Valley to be exact."

"I've heard and read about the Pleasant Valley War," she commented. "Which side were you on?"

"We was sorta caught in the middle," I replied. "Our ranch had a real good water hole and neither side wanted the other to use it. So both sides decided they'd take our ranch to keep it from the others." I stopped and stared off at the rolling hills for a bit. "Didn't matter about Jolly, my stepfather, or me: they wanted the water hole. I left before I had to kill a bunch of them and before they could kill me. Back in '86 it was. That answer your questions Ma'am?"

"I'm sorry Mr. Lowell. I didn't mean to bring up memories of a bad time." Mrs. Conroy looked me over for several seconds. I guess my story of losing my step father and my ranch put her at ease a little. "Tell you what, stay for supper. We'll talk about a job afterwards." I hesitated and she added, "If nothing else you'll get a good meal out of it"

During supper I found out that Mrs. Conroy given name was Eleanor but most everyone called her Ellie. She stated in a sort of matter a fact way that she was a widow.

"How'd you lose your husband Mrs. Conroy, if it don't hurt you to talk about?" I asked.

"Jed was on a scouting trip looking for strays on the far side of the ranch. He must of gotten hold of some bad water or food because by the time he got back to the house he had Cholera. I tried to get him to let me go for the doctor but we waited too long. He died about three days after he returned home." Ellie paused for a few seconds and added, "He's buried on top of that hill yonder. It was his favorite place on the ranch."

"Sorry ma'am. Now it's me didn't mean to bring up bad memories," I replied.

"You didn't Mr. Lowell. I married Jed in an arranged marriage; arranged by my parents before they left for California. That was 2 years ago. Jed was about 10 years older than me but he was a good man and I liked him. Suppose I would have learned to love him as time went on." Mrs. Conroy gave me a little smile. "Like I said he was a good man but really didn't have a lick of sense. I told him to take more water with him but he didn't want to listen to a woman. Guess he should have."

"Yes em, I reckon he should have," I said.

"Where have you been since you left Arizona Mr. Lowell?"

"Been mostly driftin. Lived in Deming New Mexico for a few years but my employer passed away and the new owner shut down the business. That put me back on the trail again. Worked outta Fort Stockton for a spell then headed this way." I stopped and grinned at her. "Reckon you've got my whole history now Mrs. Conroy."

"Sorry to pry but I like to know about the people who are working for me," she said. "If you want to work I'll give you a chance. Pays $30 a month and found. Know it's not full wages for a hand but it's all I can do right now. I'll provide meals and you can sleep in the room in the barn. It was Jed's refuge when he and I fussed a bit and it's set up very comfortably. If you're still here come winter, you can use one of the bedrooms up to the house. If we get more than 50 cattle to market I'll pay you a bonus."

"Thanks Mrs. Conroy. I'd be right proud to work for you. I'll start in the mornin."

"You'll start right now Mr. Lowell if you please," Mrs. Conroy said. "There's firewood to be split, the top rail on the corral needs to be fastened down, and the gate needs work too." She looked at Clint to see how he took her orders. "The plenty of light to work by yet."

Clint smiled, tipped his hat and replied, "Yes em." He led his horses to the corral, unsaddled them and put them inside. Going into the barn he got some tools and started working on the corral gate. About an hour later Mrs. Conroy called to him to come have some coffee before bedtime.

For the next two months Clint did the normal chores around a ranch. He also moved the cattle to different grazing areas. It took him two days to ride the complete circuit of the ranch boundaries. During this time he learned the lay of the land, where the good water holes were, and what areas to avoid. There was one spot that was like a bog and several times he had to pull cattle out of it. That was a hard, nasty job and he usually ended up very tired and very muddy.

After saving the third steer in four days from the bog Clint said, "Mrs. Conroy, if it's all the same to you, the next animal that gets itself stuck in the bog I'm gonna shoot. You can deduct its value from my pay." He was laughing and kidding.

Mrs. Conroy looked at the sorry sight in front of her and laughed too. Clint was covered from his hat to his boots in the red clay mud from the bog. His horse was also mud covered and looked as tired as his owner.

"Mr. Lowell, we'll never build the herd if you run around shooting the animals that offend you," she replied with a big grin.

"Yes em, but I can surely think about it."

Clint found himself admiring Mrs. Conroy. His respect for her grew every day. Little girl was dealt a bad hand, he thought. But she don't wring her hands and complain; she just works and tries to make a life for herself. She may be young but she's all woman. But it was more than respect; Clint found himself thinking of staying put and giving up drifting.

For her part, Mrs. Conroy had developed a respect for the young man who worked for her. He's never said or done anything objectionable, she thought. There were men who would have tried to take advantage of a woman alone. Clint isn't one of them. She'd been alone for a long time and began to think of what it would be like if Clint decided to stay.

She was in the barn, repairing a bridle late one afternoon when Clint came back to the house. He'd obviously been wrestling another steer out of the bog; both he and his horse were covered in mud. Clint rode his horse to the watering trough and washed the animal down.

"There, that'll make you feel better," Clint said to his horse. He looked at the house, then around the barn area and stripped down to his birthday suit and washed himself. Finishing his bath he started toward his room in the barn, carrying his dirty clothes.

Mrs. Conroy hadn't meant to watch but Clint's lean, hard body drew her attention. As he started toward the barn she quickly returned to the house. She didn't want Clint to know she'd seen him washing.

Clint was saddling his horse the next morning before breakfast. Mrs. Conroy came out to join him. "Where you headed so early Mr. Lowell?"

"Thought I'd go up to Huaco Springs. There should be more cattle up there, I must have missed some strays last week."

"You know I think my herd is getting smaller instead of growing and it seems like it's always up by the spring that they disappear," Mrs. Conroy said. "Think I'll ride with you. Saddle my horse please while I change clothes." She hurried back to the house not giving him time to object.

Clint looked up as Mrs. Conroy came back a few minutes later carrying her Winchester and wearing men's britches. Now that's somethin you don't see every day, he said to himself. I knew she was a nice lookin woman but I sure didn't know she was so well put together. With her face and build she would have been one of the favorites at Miss Lorena's.

"Where's my horse Mr. Lowell?"

"Ma'am it might not be a good idea for you to go with me," he replied. "If you're missing cattle like you say we might run into some rustlers or a cougar or a bear or just about anything."

"All the more reason for me to go. If it's rustlers, I'll be able to claim my property. Now get my horse Mr. Lowell."

She don't leave much room for disagreeing do she, he asked himself. He went into the barn, saddled her horse and led it out to her. He saw Mrs. Conroy put her Winchester in the saddle scabbard before she mounted. Noticing Clint watching her she touched the stock of the rifle.

"Cougar, bear, or rustlers my Winchester can handle any of them," she said with a small grin. "Let's go Mr. Lowell, we're wasting daylight."

"Yes em." Clint followed Mrs. Conroy on the trail leading to Huaco Springs. Riding at a slow lope, it took them almost an hour to get close to the spring. About two miles from the spring Clint took the lead. She started to object but he stopped her. "I reckon I got a bit more experience than you do Ma'am. Best let me go first."

As they got closer to the spring, Clint saw horse tracks left in the soft ground. Dismounting he knelt and examined them. "Looks to be three maybe four riders not more than an hour old," he explained. Pointing he added, "They went off that away, drivin ten head or so." Looking around he spotted more sign. "Cougar tracks too, a big one. Reckon we got two kinds of trouble."

Clint mounted and followed the horse trail with Mrs. Conroy tagging along behind him. She'd noticed a change come over him when he found the horse tracks. He's changed from the polite and sometimes teasing young cowhand into a man with a cold hard look, she thought.

They had just passed the spring when a loud scream from a hunting cougar spooked their horses. Clint brought his mount under control but Mrs. Conroy's horse went crazy. The horse neighed in fear and reared up throwing Mrs. Conroy over its rump to fall heavily to the ground. She lay there and didn't move.

Clint pulled his nervous horse to a halt and hit the ground before the animal came to a complete stop. He rushed over to her, knelt down and lifted her head onto his lap.

"Ellie, Ellie, c'mon back," he almost pleaded. Clint was scared to death that Ellie was hurt bad. He ran his hands over her legs, arms, and the back of her neck checking for breaks. He realized now how much she'd come to mean to him. "Ellie? Ellie?" He repeated several times as he held her.

Ellie came to and heard Clint calling her. She looked into his eyes and saw the concern and something more. Was that love she saw? She put her hand up and touched Clint's cheek. "I'm okay Clint."

He put his arm around her and helped her stand. "Sorry Mrs. Conroy. Didn't mean to overstep my bounds ma'am," he said as he stepped away from her.

Ellie smiled at Clint, stepped closer to him and took his hand. "You didn't Clint." She put her arms around his waist and put her head on his chest.

Well I'll be, he thought as he hugged her back. Sure didn't see that comin, but it sure is a fine thing. The cougar screamed again and Ellie's horse bolted for home, leaving her a foot. Clint's horse was standing where his reins had been dropped. The horse was trained to ground tie and short of being attacked by the cougar he wouldn't move more than two or three feet away. Clint pulled his Winchester, levered a shell into the breach and faced the direction of the hunting cougar.

"There he is," Ellie said pointing to an overhanging tree limb. "Shoot him Clint." Clint lowered his rifle and shook his head.

Ellie looked at him, surprised that he didn't shoot. "Aren't you going to kill him?"

"No need. It's a she cat and she wasn't after our horses." Clint watched as the cougar climbed out of the tree and ran off into the woods. "Probably got a cub or two back in the hills somewheres."

"But she'll kill some of our cattle," Ellie objected.

"Don't think so. Cattle are a mite big for a cougar to take on. They might get a calf or two but they only kill for food and y'all can a stand losing a calf once in a while." Clint chuckled. "Besides I sorta admire them and you can't blame a cougar for being a cougar."

Clint mounted and offered his arm to help Ellie climb up behind him. "Bet we don't catch your horse until we get back to the barn," he said. "That animal sure was spooked." He took it slow returning to the ranch house; riding double wasn't the most comfortable way to travel.

Clint immediately took notice of Ellie's arms reaching around him. Every time the horse hit a rough spot she would hug him tighter. I could get used to this, he thought. But she don't need a man with a price on his head. Best I remember that I'll be movin on one of these days.

Two hours later they rode into the ranch yard and saw Ellie's horse was standing by the corral. "Decided to come back home did you?" She asked. She was upset that her horse had thrown her and ran away. "Who do you think those tracks belonged to?" Ellie asked as she put her prodigal son of a horse in the corral.

"Don't rightly know just yet. But I reckon they're the reason we're missin cattle." Clint thought for a minute. "Think I'll head back up there and see if I can follow them. The tracks were fresh and drivin cattle they can't be too far ahead."

"Let me saddle another horse and I'll come with you," Ellie offered.

Clint slowly shook his head. "No Ma'am you won't." Before she could object he continued, "It could get right nasty ifin I catch up with them." Ellie got a stubborn look on her face. "Ellie this is what I do. I can't do my job and watch after you too. Please stay here."

Ellie stared at him for almost a minute while he waited for her to agree to stay at the ranch. "You're planning on coming back aren't you Clint? I mean you told me after your last job at Fort Stockton you recovered the cattle, drove them back to your employer's ranch and rode off. You didn't even get paid, you just rode off. I wouldn't like that much."

"No Ellie, you ain't shuck of me just yet," Clint replied with a grin. "I'll be back with or without the cattle." He watched her answering smile and said, "Reckon I better get some trail supplies and head back to the springs."

Ellie helped him put the supplies in his saddlebags and as he started to mount said, "You come back Clint Lowell" He hesitated then Ellie stepped closer and hugged him. "Remember you promised."

He smiled down at her and answered, "Yes em." Clint mounted his horse, tipped his hat to Ellie, and rode back toward Huaco Springs. I'll bring her cattle back or the men that took them, he said to himself. Even if I have to bring the men back tied over their saddles.

Instead of riding directly back to the spring Clint put his horse into a lope and rode at an angle in the direction the tracks had been leading. After two hours he cut the trail about two miles northeast of the spring and slowed to a walk. The tracks were easy to see so he kicked his horse back into a lope and followed. It was coming on to dusk when he heard the cattle and saw a campfire through the trees. Clint slowed his horse then got off and walked closer.

Sitting around the campfire were three men. They looked like saddle tramps; dirty with worn out clothes. Their horses weren't much better. The big man looked to be about 40 and the other two a little younger; it was hard to tell with their dirty faces. Clint got close enough to hear the men talking. "Reckon we'll join up with the others tomorrow evenin," the largest of the men said.

"Figure we can cull another twenty head or so from the Conroy woman," another offered.

"Not if she drives her cattle down closer to the house," the last man cautioned.

"Even if she does, she can't stop us," the large man replied. "She don't got no help."

"That's where you're wrong Mister," Clint said as he stepped into the camp site. "Mrs. Conroy ain't alone anymore. She's got me for help."

The three men were startled and stood to face Clint. After several seconds the large man spoke. "Don't figure one man can stop us. Why don't you ride on son? You don't want no part of this."

"Can't rightly do that," Clint replied. "Mrs. Conroy hired me to help with her cattle. What kind of help would I be if I let y'all run off a bunch of them?" He looked at the big man's two companions as they started to step farther away and spread out. "Don't take another step you two. Stay where I can see you."

The big man sighed, stared at Clint and asked, "What's your name son?" The reason I want to know is I don't like killing a man without knowin his name."

Clint stared right back at him with fire in his eyes but he didn't lose sight of the other two. "That's brave talk for a man that's about to die," he responded. "Drop your guns or use them. Makes no never mind to me but I'm getting bored just jawin with you."

The big man reached for his pistol followed by the other two. There were several gunshots and a cloud of gun smoke drifted over the camp site. When the shots stopped the three rustlers were on the ground. Clint walked over and kicked their guns away from them. Only then did he look at his side and his bloody shirt.

He lifted the shirt to examine the wound. There was a crease running along his left side about an inch or so deep. Blood was oozing slowly out of the area. Reckon one of them got a mite lucky, he thought. Clint went to his saddle and got his canteen. He washed the wound and used part of his shirt tail to make a bandage.

That'll have to do for now, he said to himself. Clint knew his side would stiffen up and make riding painful. Better get these cattle headed back to the ranch while I still can ride. He walked to his horse and mounted. Looking back at the three dead men he said out loud, "Y'all don't deserve to be buried. Reckon varmints got to eat too."

Clint turned his horse, gathered the ten head of cattle, and started to drive them back toward the ranch house. The sun beginning to set, he thought. Better push these cattle a little harder. Clint was about half way back when he saw Ellie riding toward him. Dang woman didn't listen to me, he thought.

She rode around the cattle and joined him riding drag. "I told you to stay at the ranch," Clint said.

"You work for me Mr. Lowell so I don't take your orders," Ellie replied with a grin. Then seeing his bloody shirt she said, "Oh my God, you're hurt. How bad is it? Get down and let me look."

"Ellie ifin I get off this horse I may not get back on until tomorrow or the next day. Let's get back to the ranch and then you can tend to me."

It was almost full dark when they drove the cattle to join the rest of the herd in the pasture close to the house. Clint's was still oozing blood and he was getting weak. He almost fell off his horse when he and Ellie got back to the house. She helped him inside into one of the bedrooms and tended to his wound. As she worked over him, Clint told her about the run in with the three rustlers. Ellie worried about her cowboy until his fever broke and sometime after ten she fell asleep in a chair next to Clint's bed.

In the morning after making sure Clint was okay Ellie said, "I'm going to town to get the Marshal." He gave her a questioning look and she explained, "We need to report those rustlers and let him know where he can find them."

"I ain't had much luck with lawmen," Clint replied. "Not sure it's the best thing to do."

"We've done nothing but protect what's ours," Ellie added. "Besides the word will get around that you'll pay a high price for stealing cattle from the Circle C." She leaned over and quickly kissed him. "It's all right; I'll be back in a few hours. You stay in bed until I get back, you hear?"

It was nearly six hours later when Ellie rode up to the corral at a high gallop. Clint was sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch. Her horse looks about done in, he thought.

"Marshal Todd will be along in a bit," Ellie told him. She came over and made him lift his shirt so she could look at his wound. "Thought I told you to stay in bed."

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers