Detachment Ch. 01-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pouting, she folds her arms.

Becca sets the drinks down before us.

"Don't worry. I swear it's a surprise you'll love just as much!"

She kicks my shin. "Well, hurry up and tell me!"

"Gosh... Fine... The short version is that I'm getting ready to expand my business and I finally have enough funds to start hiring some help. And, if you want to escape the misery that is Biossure Nutrition, there's nothing I'd want more than to hire you as my first employee."

Her face lights up. "Oh my god! Yes! Of course!"

People gawk over at us with wide eyes like I just proposed to her or something.

"I haven't even told you what the position is yet!"

"I don't care! I'll be your cleaning lady if that's what it takes to be done with that place."

"Great! Because that's what the position is."

Her face goes blank. "Wait... really?"

I laugh. "No! The position is for an executive assistant."

"Um that'd be great! But couldn't you just hire a virtual assistant for cheaper? I remember you mentioning that before."

"Yeah, but I can afford to pay for someone to be present. Someone in the same time zone. Besides, I need someone I trust to help me with the day-to-day operations like social media managing and all that, someone who will eventually help me manage the future employees I hire down the line."

She looks taken aback, appreciative. "Wow! I mean, that's a lot of responsibility. Why me? Why not someone more qualified, though?"

"Because you're smart, you've got that rare trait called common sense, you're a fast learner, you think outside the box, and you're more than capable of helping me run my businesses. And I know the quality of your work. I think that makes you more than qualified. Also because you're miserable at Biossure and I want you to work somewhere where you'll be valued and happy, somewhere where you can make a difference."

Her cheeks redden. Kylie reaches across the table then grabs my hand. "You don't know how much I needed to hear that today, Marcus."

"I'm just speaking the truth."

She lifts her hand then holds it out to me. "Well, you can count me in. When can I start?"

I shake her hand. "I haven't told you how much it pays yet..."

"I don't care. I'm losing my mind at that place, and I'd rather work for you than for anyone else, even if that means getting minimum wage," she says, still shaking my hand.

"How much are you making at Biossure now?"

"Eighteen an hour..."

The hand shaking stops but our hands remain clasped, hovering above the table. "Oh... and here I though twenty an hour was low."

Her eyes widen. "Twenty? Really?"

"Yes... Does that work for you?"

"Um, it's not only a better job, but it also pays more! What do you think?"

I smile. "Awesome! You can start after your two weeks is up."

"Two weeks? Um, how about I start Monday?"

I snicker. "I should be done moving in by then..."

"If you're not, I can help you unpack while you work."

"Already brownnosing, huh?" I laugh. "Don't you want to talk to Travis about this first?"

She shrugs. "If it's not a pay cut, he won't give a shit."

"So, you're in?"

"Hell yeah! How many times do I have to say yes before you say I'm hired?"

"One more time."

She throws her head back. "Yes! Please!" she almost moans.

I chuckle, then, for some reason, I think back to the night that almost destroyed our friendship. "Okay... And, just to be sure, after... what happened last year... spending eight hours a day cooped up in a house with just me... That's not going to be an issue, is it?"

Her grip loosens slightly. Her eyes briefly dart left. "Come on. Of course not."

I give her hand a firm shake, release it then I raise my glass. "Great. Welcome to Tycho Press, Kylie."

We cheers.

Chapter 4

Kylie

Friday

"Crap!" Marcus says the instant he checks the phone that he's been neglecting so I wouldn't 'feel ignored for a second.' "It's frickin' 6:36 already..."

My eyes go wide and I snicker. "There's no way we were talking for over three hours..."

"Time flies when you're in good company."

I cheese. "I am pretty good company, huh?"

"Um, the best!" Smirking, he signals the waitress. "I mean, why else would I hire you to spend eight hours a day with me?"

My cheeks get warm and I can't tell if it's from the alcohol or his compliment. Either way, I glance down at my phone and lower my head to shield my reaction with my hair. "What time were we supposed to be at Flanagan's?"

"Psshh... Oh... about... thirty-six minutes ago?"

"Oh..."

"Yeah... so finish yo drank and let's roll!" He downs the tiny bit of beer left in his glass.

I grimace. "Um, these Moscow Mules are a little strong... If I finish all this, driving isn't an option."

After struggling to fish his wallet from his back pocket, he slaps his credit card on the table. "That's why I'm going to drive ya there then drop you back off here on the way home." He winks.

"Uh, well, in that case..." I get to chugging.

Conversations with Marcus tend to have a way of going on for hours without ever feeling like that much time has passed. And I mean that in a good way. Like me, he's not a fan of small talk. Which means, outside of catching up, our chats are deep and thought-provoking in a way that I don't experience with anyone else. Including my husband. With Travis, sometimes it just feels like I'm being talked at instead of talked with.

The consequence of having conversations you don't want to ever finish is that you typically end up sitting around chatting longer than intended. Like that one summer night after Travis and the rest of the group had long since passed out after a long night of partying, leaving Marcus and me as the last two standing. That night, we talked until sunrise. Other than during high school with my little sister, Sara, he's the only person I've ever done that with. That secret all-nighter was something I felt guilty about for a while. Not that talking for, like, four hours to another guy is a big deal. Not in hindsight, anyway...

Traffic isn't bad, so we get to Flannigan's in twenty-four minutes. As we're walking past the hostess, our usual server is just heading over to the bar with two empty glasses in hand.

"Alyssa the Waitress!" cheers Marcus as we approach. He's been calling her that for years; a nod to Wendy the Waitress from How I Met Your Mother.

"Marcus! Kylie!" the perky, petite girl says with a wide grin. I can never tell if she's crushing on him or if she's just that friendly all the time. "Didn't think you were coming tonight."

Marcus and I look at each other, smiling. "Yeah, we lost track of time," he says.

"Well, FYI, your friends ordered already." She grimaces, turning to me after. "How've you been, Kylie? I feel like it's been months since you and Travis have been here!"

For some reason, I briefly glance at Marcus. "Travis works later now, so by the time he gets out, I don't feel like going out anymore."

Alyssa nods. "I hear that, girl... Well, the gang is back at your usual table with a couple pitchers of beers. I'll be back there in a bit to get your orders, okay?"

"Alright, sounds good!" he and I say in unison. For some reason, that has us both giggling as we walk way.

The good times, the laughs, our synchronicity... Oh, I missed this.

"Looky who decided to finally show up!" Cecilia almost shouts as we approach our table. Red, blotchy cheeks are an indicator that the petite Vietnamese lightweight is at least two or three drinks in.

"An hour late!" her younger, equally petite sister, Cassie, finishes.

Kai, the man of few words, simply shakes his head.

"Yeah, yeah. I know, I know. My bad," Marcus says, sitting beside Kai and giving him a pound. "Traffic sucked. It also didn't help that Kylie and I opted to keep phone use to a minimum while we caught up. Fun fact: that's a good way to lose track of time."

"Wow! Ya don't say?" Tim says with a grin. "Sounds like you should get a watch!"

Smirking, Marcus gives him the finger.

Cassie leans forward. "Oh, her name is Kylie!" she says with extra sarcasm. "I was going to ask who your new friend was, Marcus."

"Ha. Ha." I say, tilting my head left with each fake laugh, scooting closer to Marcus. "Yes, I know I haven't been around. Sorry for sucking lately."

Cecilia leans against Kai. "Things you never say to your husband..."

That gets a laugh out of everyone.

Once the laughter is dying down, Tim asks Marcus how business is going. As he's updating the group, Alyssa comes by to take our orders.

That's when Marcus raises his glass. "Now that Alyssa the Waitress is here, I'd like to announce that, starting Monday, I'll be taking on my first employee!" He turns to me. "So, I'd like everyone to congratulate Kylie on the new job!"

A round of cheersing and congratulations follows that.

"You're getting your first employee, you're moving into your first house tomorrow—look at my brother go!" Cecilia says with a smile.

If only you knew that he wanted to be your brother for real by marrying your sister...

"Speaking of that," Kai says, burping after. "What time did you want us to come by tomorrow to help you move?"

It's a good thing that we got to catch up back at O'Brian's before coming here because our attention is split four ways. Five when Alyssa stops by again to chat. Tim's a talker, so after asking me a million questions he rants on about things I have no interest in, like his business trip to Seattle and how different the geography and culture are out west. Eventually, Cecilia moves from beside her husband and sits across from me so we can catch up. She's a bit of a Chatty Cathy too, so that's going to be the rest of my evening. Not that I mind, though. She's easily become one of my besties.

And with Marcus sitting across from Cassie, it isn't hard to tell where his eyes linger the longest and who most of his dialogue is directed to when he's not discussing real-estate plans with Kai. It's no surprise why he's always so captivated by her. That girl is pretty, even when she doesn't have all that Instagram worthy, GRWM, pageant queen makeup on. And she's got that long, dark hair he prefers. If she was taller, I'm sure she'd have no trouble being Ms. Vietnam in the Ms. Universe pageant.

Had Tim not been an obstacle, I think she would have gone for Marcus, and I think they would've made a good couple. But not a great couple. Honestly, I never saw them working out long term. Because, for one, she's too high maintenance and materialistic for him—the opposite of what he told Travis and me that he looks for when we were trying to set him up once. Also, I feel like sometimes she doesn't talk about anything of substance, and I can see him getting bored with her after the infatuation wears off and he realizes they don't have the kind of connection that I know he's really looking for.

Much-needed time with Marcus, this night out drinking and being silly with this awesome bunch—after the shit day I've had, this is exactly what I needed. As sad as it is to admit to myself, this actually might be one of the times that I'm grateful that Travis works second shift. Because sometimes it's nice to get out without your spouse.

Of course, the second that thought crosses my mind, my cell buzzes across the table with a text from my dear husband telling me that he's out of work early and coming to meet us here in fifteen minutes. Another text follows with the order he wants me to put in.

Great...

Part of me wants to prove how much of a "useless dummy" I am by forgetting to order his food so he can starve for being an asshole earlier. But that'd only make him crankier than he was at lunch. And I don't need that. Not tonight.

When Travis arrives, Cecilia returns to the seat beside Kai, freeing up the chair across from me. Still pissy about how he spoke to me at lunch, I say, "Hi," then turn my body away from him the second he sits. It doesn't faze him. He knows better than to try and talk to me now. He knows how I get when I'm upset. He knows yet another argument is waiting for us when we get home...

"Brotha Travis!" Marcus says, reaching across the table for their signature three-step handshake. "Long time no see!"

"For real, dude! How've you been?"

Marcus nods. "Can't complain. You? Work still kicking your ass?"

"They should be charged with assault and battery..." Travis grumbles as he empties the remainder of the pitcher into his glass. "When are me and you going to start up that podcast? I'm ready to be self-employed like you!" He chuckles. Those two have been joking about starting a podcast since their first year of working together.

"You'll be pleased to know that I already have the equipment sitting in a box ready to go!"

"Sweet!"

"Yup! Got it for a YouTube idea I'm working on. So, once I get some things automated and free up some time, we'll be good to go!"

And he'll have a lot more free time once I'm trained and ready to help out, is what I'd say to Marcus if that didn't mean having to talk to Travis. There's a reason I told everyone earlier not to tell him about my new job yet.

"Dude, that's what I'm talking about!" Travis cheers.

"You're in charge of coming up with the podcast's name, though."

"Oh, so I get the easy part..."

"Sorry, bro. All my creative energy is being used up." Marcus grins, glancing at me briefly.

"Well, as soon as we narrow down our niche, it'll be easier. I'm still leaning toward an emphasis on TV and film analysis where we maybe draw parallels to society in past and present."

Marcus gives him a thumb's up as he guzzles water.

Of course they'd do something with film and television. Their love of The Walking Dead and everything comic book is what they bonded over during their first lunch together. Every Monday at work, they'd discuss Sunday's episode of Walking Dead. And after every Marvel movie and tie-in show, they'd speculate about all the Easter eggs and what every little scene could mean for the future. Honestly, it gets tiresome...

Being on the end of the table, it's hard to talk over those two bro-ing out, so I end up swiping through Facebook after Cassie trades a conversation with me for one with Tim. As long as I don't have to deal with Travis right now, I'm okay keeping to myself. I probably have Marcus to thank for keeping him distracted. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that he's working doubly hard to keep Travis's attention off of me because he noticed my change of demeanor and body language as soon as my husband walked in.

Eventually, Travis ends up chatting with the other half of the table. That's when Marcus's knee bumps my leg. "Hey," he whispers. "You okay?"

Flashing a faint smile, I nod.

He searches my eyes. Then he turns away. "Alright guys, I gotta get out of here so I can finish packing a few things."

The gang clamors with "boos," "whats," and "whys."

"Don't act like I won't see you all tomorrow for beers and pizza. I mean... moving." He laughs. "You ready to roll, Kylie?"

"Mhm," I mumble.

"Wait, you're leaving?" Travis says, finally making eye contact with me. "I'm almost done eating. Can you give me like ten minutes?"

"I'm tired, Travis. And I have to go get my car since Marcus had to drive me here."

"Oh." Turning to Marcus, he says, "You don't have to drive her, dude. I got it."

Marcus puts on his jacket. "It's fine. Her car is back at O'Brian's. Fifteen minutes of backtracking for you, but it's on the way for me."

Travis's head bobbles. "Alright, bro. See you tomorrow." He shakes his hand then glances at me. "See you at home, babe."

"Alrighty." I wave to the others then say my goodbyes as we're walking away. Once outside, I take a deep breath of the cool night air then huff it out slow. "Ugh... Thanks for that."

"Not sure what you're talking about," he says, jingling his keys in his hand.

I look over at him. "Cutting your night short for me."

He smirks. "You looked so miserable. I had to do something. And I do actually have a few things to pack..."

Brushing my hair back, I bump against him as we walk. "Well, either way, it was much appreciated."

"You're welcome." He opens his door. "But it's not like you two aren't going to be at the same place in, like, thirty minutes."

I slam my door the same time he does. "Eh, yeah, but that's thirty more minutes I'll have to try and talk myself out of making a big deal about lunch."

Chapter 5

Kylie

Friday

This doesn't feel like work. That could be because I'm training, but I think it's the fact that being in this homey atmosphere has me feeling too relaxed. And I'm far too comfortable in my cozy socks, leggings and hoody, curled up on the couch reading the social media marketing text book pages that Marcus flagged for me.

Monday, I helped Marcus unpack and organize the boxes that me, Travis, Kai, and the group helped him move in on Saturday. Tuesday, Marcus and I chatted over breakfast about the details of the job. Email correspondence, keyword research for ads and blog posts, drafting and scheduling social media posts, drafting emails for marketing purposes, interviewing people for the blog, compiling daily sales and blog traffic reports, cold emailing clients—nothing super complicated. Then he emailed me the SOPs that he's been following to run his writing business and gave me required reading. Aside from assembling sales reports and scheduling the Facebook posts that he's already drafted; reading is about all I've been doing.

That middle step on the basement door creaks, prompting me to sit up and turn around just as Marcus is emerging from his home gym the way he does every day at noon. He's wearing a fitted Under Armour shirt that accentuates his pecs and those defined, muscular, caramel arms of his. As he towels the sweat from his face on the way over to me, my eyes blatantly wander past the imprint of his abs then further down to those impressive calves. And when I look back up, he's smiling at me, scratching at his short, black, curly hair.

"The gym is all yours if you want to work out."

I arch a brow. "Are you saying I need to?" A smirk follows.

He scoffs. "You know that's not what I meant..."

"I know, I know."

"I'm just saying, don't be afraid to exercise on company time. Cardiovascular health is important, especially with a desk job. Or couch job... So, whenever you want, go down there and do what you wanna. Or join me one of these days. Up to you."

"Okie dokie! Thanks, Boss Man."

"Stop with the boss man..." He says, rolling his eyes. "I'm going to shower then I'll get lunch ready. Want anything in particular?"

I shake my head. "You know I'm not picky. You sure you don't want me to make lunch today?"

He guzzles down some water. "No, no, that's alright. I'm just making sandwiches." He heads toward his room.

As he slips inside, I visualize him stepping into the shower, beads of water rolling down his toned, caramel body.

Shame on me...

Do I think he's attractive? Um, I'd be lying if I said he wasn't. He's quite handsome. And with those caring hazel eyes, that bright smile of his, those broad shoulders—I'm not sure what woman wouldn't find that mix-raced gentleman attractive. Also, a fit man has always been my type. And I'm not talking hulking bodybuilder, either. That's a turn off. I mean that middleweight boxer bod that Marcus has been sculpting since high school. Travis was in really good shape when I first met him but, as the years in a happy relationship passed, he packed on a few pounds. He often pats his belly saying that he needs to "get that dadbod ready for parenthood!" That goof.