Devotia Ch. 01: Anointing

Story Info
Original High Fantasy erotica with a trans girl MC. Enjoy!
2.3k words
4.55
8.4k
11
0

Part 1 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 05/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Devotia

(Chapter One is mostly exposition, sexy time starts in Chapter Two).

Chapter One - Anointing

It's a joke, it has to be. It felt so outside the realm of any real possibility for Callie to even consider it as fact.

"You have been called, Low-Lady Callana," the voice crosses the room to meet her quiet and numb form. "Arise so we may properly name you."

The tendrils of magic that had wrapped around her hands and feet slowly dissolve, freeing her to stand, though she remained seated. Callie doubts she could stand if she even wanted to. Maybe if she stayed still, they'd reveal that this had been some mistake, an error in the divining.

"Arise," the voice calls out again, gentle yet firm.

Callie looks to her left, then to her right, taking in the jealous faces of people seated and bound just as she had been. One girl's eyes scream murder at her. The boy next to her simply sighs with disappointment.

Her focus snaps forward as a silver-plated gauntlet extends down to receive her hand, carefully guiding her out of the seat she feels trapped in. She can feel tight tremors of guilt coursing through her sternum and a sick sensation of shame in her gut. She'd been honored to be part of the selection process, sure, but she never expected to be actually picked.

The paladin slowly guides her to the center of the great stone hall, dark except for a few dim candles and cleverly designed sun-holes in the roof, illuminating the spot of honor she is led onto. Her eyes adjust to the harsh new brightness, resentful at the sudden change after sitting in the near-dark for so long.

"Hal Lady Callana," the greeting calls out from the great dias before her. A chorus of voices speak in unison as the six members of the Imperium focus their attention upon her.

"Great Suul has spoken," the second throne to the right announces. "Who are we but to obey?"

A response cries from a throne on the left, "Suul, the great fire above, anoints you. Bask in Her holy light."

Callie feels as though the sunlight tingles across her skin, almost as though she was a kitten being groomed by her mother. Her skin lightly sparkled as Suul seemed to embrace her and she could feel a surge of warm magic course through her flesh, touching even parts of Callie's body that left her feeling warm in an altogether different way.

This is a mistake, Callie's mind circles, repeating over and over. Her heart pounds in the cage of her chest, as though trying to break away and escape a body that could not. It wasn't supposed to be me! It shouldn't be me!

"We recognize you," says the center throne. "We recognize Suul's great wisdom in anointing you, Her perspective so far beyond our own."

None of these people knew her, Callie thought bitterly to herself. This whole city was nothing but strangers to her, and if they knew about the magic she had done to herself... If they knew she had risked everything to do it, had thrown away all of her previous life just to hide away in this new city...

She had been so stupid, allowing herself to be nominated. As soon as the priestess had knocked on her door Callie should've ran away. She'd already abandoned her childhood home, what was leaving another?

But then, there had been that foolish, naive part of herself that loved the attention that came with a priestess at your door and a summons to the Suular Court. Back home, she could have been burned alive for what she had done to herself; but somehow within two weeks of arriving in Solva, she'd been selected for something that should have felt like a great honor.

Fuck, she simply muttered internally, over and over. You were supposed to lay low, blend into the background you dumb bitc-

The Imperium before her chants in unison again, snapping Callie out of her self loathing for a moment to realize she had let her focus wander. Her eyes dart upwards at the council before her, her legs trembling with the awareness that she was being watched by the most powerful group of mages on this side of the continent. Any one of them could reduce her to ashes with nothing but a slight twist of their hands.

"Suul names you as her focus," the center-left throne calls. The group speaks in unison again, "We bow to you."

Callie briefly wondered if it was too late to make a break for it. Surely if she was supposed to be some holy figure now, none of them would try and stop her... right?

"Suul witnesses her spirit in you," the far left throne announces. "Unmistakable from her own."

"Hal Devotia," the Imperium resounds in conclusion.

Behind her, Callie can hear the sounds of the remaining collection of nominees being released and exiting the grand courtroom. The great doors slide shut quietly, and one of the Imperium waves away the remaining paladins in the room. Another reaches their gloved hand upwards, and the column of light Callie stands in softens and widens, allowing the dark room to gradually fill up with a more normal lighting.

Suddenly, she can see the faces of the Imperium gazing upon her, feeling profoundly naked under their gaze. She felt as though their eyes could pierce through her, seeing her guilt, seeing the traces of the transformation spells that had been used on her.

"You are new to our city, are you not, Hal Devotia?"

It takes a moment for Callie to realize they're addressing her. Her head whips to face the center-right throne, where she sees a tall-yet-lanky man sporting the most ornate robes she has ever seen. The dark green fabric practically shimmers with a variety of charms cast upon it, lined with shining silver.

"I... I am," Callie croaks hoarsely, "... Lord Magister," she adds quickly.

To her surprise, the mage smiles warmly, waving a gently dismissive hand, "You no longer owe us any formality, Hal Devotia. To many, I am Lord Magister Krann. To you, simply Krann."

An incredulous look must've crossed Callie's face, because a few chuckles sound out across the council. Another voice, to Magister Krann's left, speaks up: "You are familiar with the role of our Devotia, are you not, Hal Devotia?"

Callie shakes her head slowly, still feeling the tremblings of shame pounding in her chest. As friendly as they were now, surely that camaraderie would end as soon as they figured out what she was.

The second voice, a curvy and soft-faced woman with deep blue robes, seems to smile empathetically. "My dear Devotia, you must be so confused." She turns her focus to the rest of the Imperium, "Great Council, if you would be so kind, allow me to show Hal Devotia to her new quarters and assist her understanding of her new position."

There is a brief murmur of agreement, and Magister Krann speaks up, "Agreed, Lord Magister Velena. Please attend to the education of Hal Devotia, and we will announce Suul's anointed to the rest of the city."

One by one, the members of the Imperium stand and approach Callie, bowing at her feet before ceremoniously exiting the hall. After a few moments, Callie is left facing Magister Velena, who bows gently and offers her elbow to escort her.

"Have no fear," Velena grins warmly, "You are not the first newcomer to be Devotia. It has been some time, but not unprecedented in the least."

Callie nervously wraps her arm around Velena's elbow, allowing her to lead her out towards a side hallway. I'll bet her tone will change when she finds out the other way I'm unprecedented.

The side hallway is considerably less intimidating than the great hall; a simple causeway with wooden trimmings and soft white walls, cozy like an inn. She is led away from the Imperium's cathedral and out into a lovely garden plaza that is surrounded by ornate white stone walls on all sides. At the far end of the plaza, she can see a low and long villa, with marble columns and a red-tiled roof, luxurious beyond anything Callie has witnessed before.

"As I am sure you can tell," Velena begins, "we hold our Devotia in the highest regard here in Solva." She stops her walk, gesturing for Callie to sit along the banks of a small pond and rock garden in the plaza. "What do you already know about a Devotia?"

Callie racked her brain, trying to recall the things people had told her yesterday after the priestess arrived with her summons. She looks around the plaza, seeing a few lower priestesses gently tending to the gardens around them.

"She's holy?" Callie ventures carefully, hoping Velena won't attempt to pry open the traces of magic on her body.

"Holy indeed," Velena nods gingerly, "though not always a 'she'. Many men have made excellent Devotia as well - Suul's blessing can be bestowed upon anyone." Velena shifts to sit more comfortably, though still very proper. "Suul, the great sun in the sky, is the source for all of our magic." Her hand gestures to the sun in the sky above, blessing them with a cool and comfortable midday.

"She rewards our devotion to Her by extending more of Her magic to our needs. The more reverent a follower is, the more Suul may extend her favor," Velena says simply. "It isn't an exact exchange, Suul blesses some more than others, but She is generous with those that honor her."

"So... I'm supposed to be a priest then?" Callie tries to fight the feeling of obligation and disappointment in her voice. Finally free in a new city, and yet within two weeks she's been pushed into religious life.

To Callie's surprise, Velena chuckles, a warm and cascading rhythm of pleasant laughs. "Not at all," she smiles comfortingly. "Being a priest is far too many years of schooling to ask of a Devotia. It can be quite boring."

She extends the joke to Callie as though to encourage her to relax a little. She wonders how obvious her nervousness is to read.

"There are many ways to be devoted to Suul. However, it can be difficult for most people to understand Her will in everyday life, especially for those who have difficult jobs to lead and protect our city. Suul appoints Devotia to act as stand-ins for her will - rather than showing your devotion to Suul by enacting her will out in the world, you may show your devotion to a Devotia directly and Suul will bless you."

"Show their devotion to me, how exactly?" Callie felt a little embarrassed by some of the ideas in her head, but in her defense, it wasn't like this religion was even something she was really a part of. How was she supposed to know what reverence to a goddess she'd never really heard of looked like?

"There are many ways in which you may-," Velena begins, but is interrupted by the sudden presence of someone new.

"Hal Devotia," a voice calls out behind them. "I am weak, too weak to carry out the orders of the Most Holy in the Sky."

Callie turns from her seated position to face the newcomer, finding a well-built man decorated in the armor of a Paladin. He kneels precisely, head bowed in reverence to her, armor glinting in the soft sunlight.

"I beg of your mercy for failing your predecessor, and I plead for your forgiveness." His head rises up, meeting Callie's gaze for the first time, and her eyes lock in with the tender brown of his eyes. "Allow me to be at your service, and I will swear not to repeat the mistakes of the past."

Callie peels her eyes away from his squared jaw, his chiseled brow, his tousled and slightly curly hair, and even his soft pink lips to face Velena, hoping her blush was subtle. Velena has a knowing twinkle in her eyes that told Callie she knew exactly the thought that had played in her mind.

Callie looks at the Magister as if to ask, What am I supposed to say?

Thankfully, Velena understood quickly, nodding gently and turning to the paladin. "Knight-Commander Calvin, we thank you for your honesty and loyalty. You do your title credit." Velena's eyes dart to Callie, inviting her to speak.

"Your apology is acc-accepted," Callie's voice cracked briefly, but she quickly recovers and attempts to save face. "Suul smiles upon you...?" She hadn't meant for it to come out as a question, but couldn't hide the deep feeling that she was in far over her head.

"I thank your blessing, Hal Devotia," Calvin says simply, his voice disciplined and careful. "My strength has been badly weakened. Allow me to serve you so you may fill my spirit with Suul's shining power."

Callie whips her head back to stare at Velena, trying to push away thoughts of what being filled by a goddess might mean. Velena smirks lightly, flashing another knowing smile at Callie. "Knight-Commander, as you can see, our Devotia is newly anointed. She will require assistance washing away her impurities from the world and dressing in her new robes."

Callie pushes away the immediate surge of desire that coursed through her skin, hoping the flush of color across her face wasn't as noticeable as she knew it was. She could feel her pants tighten slightly at the idea, trying not to look too long at the muscled hands under Calvin's gauntlets and wondering how being dressed by them might feel.

"At once, Lord Magister," Calvin stands suddenly, squaring his chest widely and with as much pomp and circumstance as he could. Standing up, Callie could see that he was nearly a whole head taller than Callie, who wasn't particularly short herself. "Allow me to escort you, Hal Devotia," he says, extending an arm out towards her. Callie swallows, feeling her mouth dry up.

"We will continue your education later, Hal Devotia," Velena declares, standing. As she passes by Callie, heels lightly clicking on the soft cobblestones underfoot, she whispers a mischievous, "Have fun."