Devotia Ch. 14: Strategem

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Magister Hamada nods in agreement. Her long black hair is pulled tight into a long braid that falls to her waist, and Callie wonders how much worse the heat must be in the traditional robes of a Magister. "I would like to take the lead on this relief," she says to the room, sitting forward in her throne, "are we in agreement this merits a redirection of hal Devotia's time?"

"Construction has yet to be completed on the Firefall canal," Magister Benevier's soft voice protests, though it remains respectful. "Speeding up its timeline could provide the water necessary to drown out this heat, and keep us prepared for future irrigation needs."

"The workers will need to eat something," Magister Markin grunts to Hamada's right. "Keelt is life."

Keelt was a strange crop that Callie had hardly encountered outside of Solva. It was a short plant with a thin stalk and wide leaves, but its real importance was the rooted network of bean pods that grew under the soil. The beans were slightly sour, which surprised Callie greatly, but most often they were dried out and ground into an airy, delicious flour. It grew easily in most soil, almost year-round, and Callie knew it was one of the foundations of the Solvarian diet.

"Well I know that, Markin," Benevier grins, a little annoyed.

The chair of the council, Magister Krann, clears his throat politely. "What do you think is best, hal Devotia? You've been out in the fields to meet Farmer Kiel."

"I agree with Magister Hamada," Callie replies, adding a second later, "and Magister Benevier. With two Devotia, we could split our focus onto both tasks." She pushes away the light grumbling in her stomach - it would work, but it'd mean a busy next few weeks for the both of them.

"We have an assignment for Devotia Junivere already," Markin speaks again.

"Which is?" Callie furrows her brow lightly. No one had told her what Junivere's meeting with the Imperium just before her had concluded.

"Devotia Junivere's assignment," Velena answers calmly.

Callie restrains her urge to roll her eyes. She pulls her hair up into a ponytail, wrapping a small band around it and hoping it'd cool her down at least a little. A bead of sweat trickles down the side of her head, eventually collecting in the crook of her neck. She sighs.

"In which case, I believe we should focus on saving the crop for this summer and complete the canal in the fall," she announces.

"Very good, hal Devotia," Krann inclines his head. "Magister Hamada, will you assist in ensuring the farmer gets what they need?"

"Of course, Lord Magister," Hamada inclines her head gratefully.

"And Magister Benevier, please direct the mages constructing the threadstone for the canal to redirect their efforts. Perhaps they could produce some larger canvas to shade the fields in key areas."

Benevier briefly pauses, but accepts. "An excellent idea, Lord Magister,"

"Is there anything more the Imperium requires of me," Callie asks, trying to shield her voice from the wearniness she feels inside, "or shall I take my leave?"

"Please stay, hal Devotia," Krann requests, shifting in his seat and taking a moment to collect his words. "Knight-Captain Wellt informs us that Suul spoke to you with a message for the Knighthood."

"She did," Callie confirms. A nervous tremble flickers inside her chest. She'd figured they would ask after her disappearance, and she'd spent most of the time before this meeting rehearsing her story.

"Seems she's speaking to you more now," Magister Xamner croaks from the farthest throne to the left. Callie can hardly forget his constant skepticism of her abilities, rarely giving her the benefit of the doubt.

"Since the Feast of St. Valvedor," Callie recounts, "Lady Suul has blessed me with her voice more often than before."

It isn't technically a lie. Before the holiday, Suul hadn't spoken to Callie at all. Afterwards... there were a variety of moments that Callie wondered if she may have heard something, or felt a slight nudging inside, though she was never sure.

"A day of prayer for the knights to venerate St. Gelmon, if I recall correctly," Krann continues. "What do you believe is the significance of this word?"

Callie takes a breath, hoping her explanation is clear but not too obviously rehearsed. "Lady Suul believes there should be more attention to the plights of widows and orphans in Solva. By granting the knights a dedicated time to reflect, away from their duties, the whole city will feel the impact of their devotion to this need and will be moved to support it."

Markin sits forward, heavy beard lifting from his chest and hanging in the space below his chin. "Without the knights, who is going to keep order in the city? We can't simply have them stand down for the entire day."

"Knight-Captain Wellt informed me she believes that a small regiment of Paladins could take their day in a shift - one group praying while the other group patrols," Callie explains, grateful again Wellt hadn't turned her in. She briefly wonders how awkward her first blessing with the Knight-Captain was going to be.

"And that is in Suul's will?" Xamner's eyes narrow.

"I believe so, yes," Callie forces a polite smile onto her face.

The Magisters exchange looks with each other, but if any of them have further thoughts about the arrangement they keep it to themselves. Velena speaks next, sitting forward and looking at Callie intently.

"We are impressed to see you taking more initiative, hal Devotia," as always, there's something in her voice that Callie can't read. "You've certainly stepped into your own in the last month or two."

"Thank you, Magister Velena." Callie disguises the scowl she felt inside. Velena didn't sound proud or impressed at all... it was almost as though she was disappointed.

"Lord Magister, might I open the next discussion?" Velena directs her question at Krann.

"Proceed, Magister Velena." A dim concern pushes its way onto his face, and Callie can see the rest of the Magisters follow suit.

"Hal Devotia, are you aware of the special request Devotia Junivere has made of the Imperium?" Velena presses the tips of her fingertips together, creating a confident bridge as she leans forward.

Callie inhales nervously. She'd wondered if they would ask her opinion on the matter, and in many ways Callie wishes they wouldn't. "Could you be more specific, Magister Velena?"

"Regarding an exemption for her husband."

"I am familiar, Lord Magister."

Velena nods, a clear air of tension and concerned authority radiating from her throne. Despite the heat in the spotlight, it feels as though the temperature in the room cools suddenly. Callie wonders if the Magisters are powerful enough mages that magic could even emanate as a side-product of their emotions.

"It is a very unusual request that she has made," the Magister explains. "Are you aware of the context of their relationship?"

"The important details, yes," Callie replies quietly.

Whether or not those are the details Velena is referring to, Callie isn't sure. She doubts that Junivere would regale them with the stories of Silas' violent sides if she hoped to convince the Imperium to let them stay together.

"An exile is not a divorce," Velena continues, a tone of legal technicality punctuating her words. "I am not aware of a time that an already married individual has been appointed as a Devotia, nor is anyone else on the Imperium."

Velena pauses, letting the words settle across the tense room. "Their marriage was consummated by Suul, and yet she has also been anointed. It leaves us in a confusing and heretofore unexplored circumstance."

Marriages in Solva were said to be blessed by Suul, and that often the goddess was involved in bringing couples together. Technically, Callie recalls that Suul's lover, Yamm, was more responsible for it, but in the public knowledge it was treated as an interchangeable fact. Even Rookwell had believed similarly, though they attributed it to an aspect of cosmic order that was separate from the goddesses.

Callie isn't exactly sure where Velena is going with this, so she simply listens to the Magister, electing to remain silent.

"We have already discussed for Junivere the complications this poses, and our concerns for the privileging of a specific individual with blessings over and against the rest of the city," Velena asserts, her tone cool and direct. "And hal Devotia has proposed a compromise."

Velena doesn't explain further, so Callie carefully asks, "What did she propose?"

"A moratorium on blessings for her husband Silas," Velena announces seriously. "He will not be allowed to receive any of Suul's power, but he will be allowed to share Devotia Junivere's time."

"So he will be allowed to spend the night, but not see her during the day" Callie completes.

"Correct, hal Devotia," she confirms. "He will be expected to leave before dawn, and not arrive before dusk."

Callie nods, taking in the proposal. It was everything Junivere had hoped for: Silas, while imperfect, could be a desperately needed company for the night. She could be allowed to be intimate beyond just the quick and often emotionally unsatisfying encounters that her role requires. Junivere's homesickness for Tulla had never really subsided, and Callie wonders if Silas might aid that, painful as his history with her may be.

Her mind feels split between two powerful forms of jealousy, both jostling to take priority in her mind. On the one hand, Callie's gut tightens with the feeling of unfairness; that Junivere would be allowed something that Callie wouldn't. As desperately as she wants Calvin, as necessary his company was to keep her feeling sane and secure, he would always be a careful secret she needed to hide. If she was to stay with him, Calvin was always going to be a scandal in her closet, waiting to be discovered and burst her happy bubble.

On the other... Callie can hardly deny that she cares for Junivere as more than just a friend. She never knew how to describe their connection. Despite being romantic and sexual and casual and serious, it didn't feel the same as with Calvin. Callie is in no doubt that without Junivere's company, being Devotia would quickly consume her. She has no idea if being with Silas would mean that Callie couldn't see her anymore, but she strongly suspects it would. Callie doubts their bed would have room for a third... and if Callie was in her position, she'd want to spend most nights with Calvin.

The Magisters look at her expectantly and Callie wonders how transparently her feelings are on display. As far as she knows, none of them knew exactly how close she was with Junivere, but it didn't mean it wasn't clear they spent a great deal of time together. And while only Velena knew about Callie's feelings for Calvin, she doubts it would be hard for them to guess that she might want a similar exemption.

"Is... is something expected of me, Lord Magisters?" Callie asks, staring back at their silent and waiting faces.

"We would welcome your perspective," Velena answers noncommittally. She stops short of implying Callie could decide for them, but it's clear they want her opinion.

Callie purses her lips. She could stop this from happening. Despite Junivere's feelings, Callie has little trust in Silas' supposed reformation; and she could easily prevent her fellow Devotia from falling into his path again. But Junivere would likely know that Callie had blocked them... and Callie doubts she'd ever forgive her.

It was also possible that opening an exemption could help her with Calvin. She and him already have a tenuous supporter in the Knight-Captain, and Callie feels strongly that if he isn't getting blessings, they couldn't really fault her. Maybe opening the door for Silas could also help her. And while she'd lose most of her time with Junivere, she wouldn't risk their entire friendship.

But as Velena's brow furrows lightly, bridged fingers perceptively pressed into her lips, Callie also wonders if this might be some form of test. What would the novice Devotia do when given this little ability to control her partner's leash? Would she stick by traditions and rules, or would she let her own desperation for intimacy consume her?

"I believe..." Callie begins, her voice and hands shaking slightly. The sweat in her palms adds itself to the moisture from the heat. She pauses again, unable to commit to her words.

Would they even be expecting her to answer? Perhaps they want to see if she would actually deflect the issue to the domain of Suul's wisdom. She could tell them it was beyond her understanding and that she would attempt to commune with the goddess instead.

The presence of Junivere waiting in the hallway quiets the idea however. She would want to help Callie, she's sure of it. As teasing and withholding of Callie's pleasure as she could sometimes be, Junivere was a fierce and loyal friend.

And Callie also feels Dynasa's words enter into her processing as well. Devotia used to be able to marry and pursue the natural inclinations of their heart. It was messy, and occasionally problematic, but it allowed them to be real people. Callie was envious she couldn't be a Devotia in that time instead, able to see Calvin without the permission of a council of conservative mages.

"I support Devotia Junivere's request," Callie says at last. She exhales, feeling the inertia of decision take over and push her forward. "Provided that Silas is banned from receiving blessings, I believe that it will maintain the integrity of the position."

After a moment, Callie notices the Imperium's tension remains. She adds, "I am personally willing to keep a watchful eye as well. If I believe that Silas has any agenda other than concern for his wife, I will report it to your judgment."

She shudders slightly, not liking the concession of becoming a judge over Junivere's relationship, but she hopes it will at least move the Magisters to support them.

"We thank you for your wisdom, hal Devotia," Velena replies, keeping her voice locked in the coldness of neutrality.

"Of course, Lord Magister."

"And we appreciate your time, hal Devotia," Magister Krann concludes. "That is the end of our business here today."

As always, the end of the Imperium's meetings are punctuated with a restoration of normal lighting in the room. Callie sighs in relief as the beacon of light pointing at her closes slowly, removing the awful extra heat. It's still warm and stuffy in the room, but at least without the direct exposure it feels bearable to her.

One by one, the Magisters step down from their thrones, bowing at Callie's feet before making their way through the huge doors behind her. She'd learned they only did this if their work was concluded for the day - if they had further items of the agenda they would simply rise and bow in place, allowing her to stroll out at her leisure.

Krann, then Benevier, then Markin all kneel, nodding respectfully as they take their leave. Hamada stops for a brief moment, her towering height temporarily negated by Callie standing on a raised platform. She smiles, inclining her head and softly saying, "Thank you for your support, hal Devotia. Our farmers will greatly appreciate the aid."

"Thank you for your guidance, Magister Hamada. I wouldn't have made the visit if you didn't encourage me to do so, and I welcome such direction."

Callie's respect for Magister Hamada grows in every interaction she has with her. To everyone in the room, it's always clear that Hamada has a deep concern for the needs of the city, and a strong sense of responsibility to help. She was occasionally known for her temper if she felt someone was insufficiently managing their own responsibility, but Callie understands that it comes from a good place.

Hamada's eyes twinkle, and she kneels again before whispering, "See you out there," strolling away through the grand entrance. Callie was partially looking forward to working with the Magister even more in the coming weeks, curious to learn more about her.

After Hamada disappears through the doors, there's a sudden tension in the room as Xamner and Velena refuse to vacate their seats. Each exchanges a sharp glance with each other, both clearly wishing to be the last to leave the room.

"After you, Magister Xamner," Velena offers.

Xamner grunts in protest. "I wish to conference with hal Devotia."

Callie's skin crawls at the idea. Xamner was easily her harshest critic, and she was careful to keep a wide distance from him. It wasn't unthinkable that he could be the primary person working to undermine her, and Callie grumbles at the thought of what he may want to say.

Velena's willpower typically was enough to overcome Xamner's frustrating quirks, but today he holds fast, refusing to even shift in his seat. Velena scowls, eventually deciding the fight isn't worth it. She storms up out of her seat, robes whipping quickly with the movement, and kneels before Callie with a look of scorn in her eyes.

"I want to talk to you later," she whispers harshly.

Callie nods. As confusing as Velena could be with her, always having some agenda in the background and sometimes being a strong critic of hers, Callie knows Velena is another of the few reasons she's surviving in the role. Nearly all of her basic skills in surviving as Devotia derive from things Velena and Junivere taught her, and Junivere wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for the Magister.

Velena slams the doors shut behind her as she exits, careful to ensure Xamner was constantly aware of her frustrations with him. If it impacts the old Magister, he doesn't show it.

Xamner's face softens slightly, though it still retains the distinct look of displeasure of an old man who has spent years perfecting his frown. His jowls keep his mouth locked into a disgruntled thin line, and his eyes always seem to have some complaint behind them.

"I want to speak with you," he says bluntly, remaining seated in his throne. Callie wonders if she is supposed to move to him, but decides to stay in place, keeping a wide distance from him.

"How may I be of service, Lord Magister?" Callie asks. She doesn't even attempt a fake smile or pleasant tone, leaving her affect clear she was unsettled.

"You're well aware that I am cynical of your tenure," Xamner grumbles sharply, leaning his head onto his fist, propped up on the wide armrest of the throne. "It isn't personal," he continues, "Devotia seem to drop like flies these days, and I'm of no mind to grow attached to a fool with no sense of longevity."

Callie furrows her brow. In a subtle way, it almost sounds as though Xamner is complimenting her, though it's hardly recognizable through his tone and words.

"But," he sighs, voice low and booming, "I believe I am coming to accept that you may just survive past the first year. It's time to properly get acquainted."

Callie frowns, revolted by the suggestion. If he's implying the thing she's worried he's implying, Callie expects their relationship to grow significantly more sour than before.

"Not that," he huffs, waving a dismissive hand as he reads the thoughts on her face. "You young Devotia are nearly always like this. It's been ages since we've had a celibate Devotia," he grumbles.

"Then what do you mean, Magister Xamner?" She asks, cocking an eyebrow and crossing her arms tightly.

"I don't like getting involved early on," he wiggles in his seat, readjusting to get comfortable. "If a Devotia is going to make it, they need to be able to stand on their own two feet and know who's on their side and who isn't. If you can't do that by yourself, I'm not wasting my time."

Callie's scowl deepens even more. It sounds as though he thinks Callie has proven this quality in herself, but it can't be true. Not only had Velena been coaching her from the start, she'd called in Junivere to mentor Callie further. She couldn't possibly have been thought of as someone who did this herself.