Devotia Ch. 16: Intercession

Story Info
Callie suddenly finds herself under stricter restrictions.
4.4k words
4.8
3.1k
1

Part 16 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 05/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Intercession

Yala speaks to Callie. There's never actual words, and she doesn't reappear in any mirrors or reflections, but she speaks. Callie can feel her directions, feel her guidance, feel her sentiments as she goes through her day. She awoke beside Junivere for the first time in too long and felt the presence of the goddess radiate around her like an aura of water. And now, as she stands before the Imperium once more, she can sense Yala alongside her.

"It is different, and it will be different," Callie declares to the mages, authoritative and confident. The Magister's glare at her, awestruck by the ward she casually demonstrates in front of them. "The goddess told me she was declaring a new era."

"Preposterous!" Markin grumbles, folding his strong arms tightly across his chest. "This... this is deception from some malevolent spirit, come to wage war on Suul!"

"Come now, Markin," Hamada chides, "this is clearly not magic from below. The touch of a goddess is unmistakable."

"You believe her?" He growls in reply, frowning at the taller magister to his left and painting his face with disgust.

"Look at that ward and tell me you don't," she scoffs.

"There are plenty of explai-,"

"Silence," Magister Krann declares. The room falls eerily quiet; despite being head of the Imperium, Krann hardly ever wields the authority beyond formality. He was not known to lose his temper. "I will not have a mage claim to understand a goddess with more intimacy than a Devotia, Magister Markin. If Suul sees fit to allow her lover to anoint a Devotia in her name, who are we to question this?"

"This is entirely unprecedented, Lord Magister," Velena protests. Callie can hardly read her steely expression.

"As is the anointing of two Devotia," Beleveir quips.

"As leader of this body," Krann continues, "I will make no pretense to deny the will of a goddess. We are gathered to establish context and precedent for this new formation, but we will not litigate the inclinations of divinity." He sighs, folding his hands politely into his lap and facing Callie once more. "Hal Devotia, this council recognizes you once more and supports your anointing."

"Thank you, Lord Magister."

"We turn now to the task of providing structure for our systems to accommodate this change. There are many unanswered questions that must be addressed for the future. I yield to the guidance of this body," he nods, opening the floor for the rest of the magisters.

Callie speaks first, "What questions must be addressed? Yala is quite clear that I am to practice as her Devotia alongside Devotia Junivere, who remains under the direction of Suul."

"We must reestablish the traditions of a Devotia," Velena sits forward. "All of our structures are contextualized upon the realities of Suul. We know nothing about the boundaries and possibilities Yala creates. Without careful consideration, this could be destabilizing to the city."

"Perhaps Yala wants destabilization," Callie scowls, feeling her own resent and bitterness push forward.

Velena's eyes shoot daggers at her. "Hal Devotia, stability is the preeminent concern for your position."

"Could you elaborate on what you are implying, Hal Devotia?" Xamner speaks for the first time this session. He has been carefully sizing her up, and she wonders how this might play into his strategizing with Dynasa.

Callie is quiet, unsure of how exactly to answer, so Velena speaks once more. "We cannot simply unleash an entire new paradigm of magic upon Solva without deliberate study," she softens her gaze, appealing to the council around her.

"What do you propose, Magister Velena?" Krann asks.

"We return Devotia Callana to a probationary period, reducing her duties to education and experimentation." Velena pauses to punctuate her words. "I am ready and able to assist in this task once again."

"I don't want to be on probation," Callie retorts. "I want to begin the work that Yala has called upon me to carry out."

"And could you enumerate this work for us, Hal Devotia?" Velena's tone is polite, but there is a sharpness hidden underneath. Callie is unsure of how to respond without revealing the conversations she's had with Dynasa and Xamner. Velena raises an eyebrow at her silence. "See? We must direct Hal Devotia to retire briefly from public life so we may safeguard this transition."

"I am inclined to agree with you, Magister Velena," Krann announces, regaining control of the session. "There are too many unknown variables at this moment."

"I will begin preparations for this task immediately," Velena nods.

"Alone?" Xamner croaks, shifting in his chair.

"Do you have an opinion, Magister Xamner?" Velena cuts back impatiently.

"I support the appointment of Magister Velena to oversee creation of new precedent," Xamner declares, "but as for exploration of hal Devotia's magic... is this not within the jurisdiction of a Magewitch?"

"I am more than capable of carrying out this task."

"It isn't a question of capability," Xamner contests. "It is a question of legitimacy. The supervision of magical standards and practices is the responsibility of a Magewitch."

"Agreed," Krann interjects. "Hal Devotia, this council will place you under a temporary probationary period under the guidance of Magister Velena and Magewitch Dynasa."

Callie wants to complain, but she feels Yala gently encourage her to remain calm. It was unsettling, feeling the presence of divinity pulling her into different directions, but she's hardly willing to question it. She trusts that Yala must know something she doesn't.

"Very well, Lord Magisters," Callie sighs, inclining her head politely. "I will accept your judgement." She meets Velena's gaze, seeing the Magister relax slightly at her acquiescence.

- - -

"You need to calm down," Dynasa coaches, gesturing for Callie to take a seat opposite of her. Outside of Dynasa's new study, lofted in a high stone tower in the college, Callie knows that Gloriana must be waiting impatiently.

"I'm trying," Callie complains. Dynasa frowns. "I am."

"I believe you're trying, but the stakes are too high for failure."

Callie crosses her arms over her chest, forcing herself to sit back down into the chair. "Ever since the new anointing, it's like all of my goodwill with Velena has disappeared."

"Of course it has," Dynasa scoffs. "You used to be an easily molded tool for her agenda, and now you're a problem."

"I wasn't a tool."

"How many blessings did you give out that weren't under Velena's direction?"

Callie frowns, refusing to concede the point but unable to argue against the mage.

"Exactly," Dynasa takes a breath, sitting forward and softening her eyebrows. "If we are going to use this new power to help people, we can't have Velena be suspicious of us."

"You say that like she's our enemy."

The mage pauses, sizing up Callie for a long moment. She rises and walks over to a nearby table, grabbing a small device and folding it into her own hands. She sits across from Callie once more, a serious and apologetic look on her face.

"I'm going to comply with her request," Dynasa says at last.

A frightful tremble flashes over Callie's skin and she feels like her stomach has suddenly fallen out of her. "You can't be serious."

"We need her to trust you, Callie."

"There has to be some other way!" She shivers, feeling a cool tingle down her spine and a burning heat across her chest and face.

"Please focus on the larger picture. If she believes she has neutralized the threat you now pose, we can use that time to strategize and discover the boundaries of this new magic. We need time, and this will buy us it."

"Don't I get a say in this?"

Dynasa is quiet and it's clear she's already made up her mind. When she speaks again, her voice is somber and polite. "Will you submit willingly or will I need to restrain you?" She holds out her palm, revealing the small device that makes Callie want to flee the room. It's a small, steel cage, no larger than a handful of inches, with a simple lock and a round ring at the base.

Callie forces her dry mouth to swallow, fixing her eyes onto the cage and refusing to look away from it. "How sure are you that this plan is going to work?"

"Velena fears your new magic and what your blessings could do now," Dynasa explains, "This will stop that problem at the source. If you can convince her that your threat has been mitigated and that she's in control, the rest of us will have time to work around her. There aren't a lot of options here, Callie."

"How... how does it work?"

"There's two sides to it: physical and magical," Dynasa holds up two fingers. "The physical means that, well... sex is going to be significantly more limited for you. As for the magic, I've added some enchantments to the cage as well, at Magister Velena's request. It's not for certain, but if I've done it correctly your connection to magic will be entirely cut off."

The cage looks so small in Dynasa's hand. Callie isn't particularly well-endowed to start with, but even then she could tell it was going to be a tight fit. She could practically feel her body whimpering at the idea of such restraint. But Yala's intervention had entirely changed the game, suddenly opening a terrifying well of possibility; even Callie herself could understand the fear of what it might mean for the future. If Dynasa believes it would be enough to give her time to study the magic and strategize, how could Callie refuse?

"I want you to promise me something," Callie says at last, trying to bolster her courage.

"What?"

"Things better be different for Devotia on the other side of this."

"I promise."

- - -

Callie hates the cage immediately. It's so constantly present, always brushing against the inner sides of her thighs and bouncing as she walks or sits or moves in any way. It takes a while before the feelings of tightness and suffocation disappear, soon to be replaced by embarrassment and frustration. In Solva, Callie's sexuality had finally come alive and she reveled in the freedom and excitement of her body. All of that was over now, and once again Callie was at the mercy of someone else's control.

"Are you capable of pulling simple threads, hal Devotia?" Velena asks, standing over her in one of the lounge rooms of the villa. Callie nods. "Please attempt to demonstrate one."

Callie takes a deep breath, searching for either of the two reservoirs of magic she now had inside of her. Pulling light into threads was a cornerstone skill in Suular magic - nearly every spell incorporated the technique in some way. She searches and searches within her body, unable to feel any of the familiar magical sensations. She stretches out a palm towards the nearest sunlight and makes a gesture as though to grab it, straining to condense the magic around her. Once again, nothing happens, and she is left frustrated and alarmed at the effectiveness of Dynasa's charms.

"Excellent," Velena nods.

"Are there any more spells I should waste my time attempting?" Callie grumbles, exhausted from the last hour of failed exertion.

"I'm satisfied," the Magister replies. "Thank you for your cooperation."

Velena sits down on a couch across from Callie, propping her elbows onto her knees and studying the Devotia with a thoughtful intention. Callie searches her face for the whispers of friendship she'd seen so often before, only to be once again blocked by her icy, neutral stare.

"Is that it for today?" Callie ventures quietly.

"No," Velena answers, though her face softens. "I know this isn't ideal, Callie. I wish we could do things differently, but you need to understand that magic is inherently dangerous. If we don't take adequate precautions, there could be disastrous impacts."

Callie lays back into her own sofa, resting deep into the cushion and trying to cross her legs. The cage pushes against her thighs and she gives up, instead letting her knees spread ever so slightly to make room. "Do the precautions have to come at my expense?"

"It's temporary," Velena defends, though she allows more empathy to cross into her voice. "I promise that we will allow you to return to your duties as Devotia as soon as safely possible."

Callie sighs. "I want concessions."

"Concessions?"

"The way things are right now: I can't have guests over, I can't spend the night with anyone, I can't have sex, I can't use magic, I can't be Devotia." Callie closes her eyes and drops her head back for a moment. "And now I spend half of my day being examined by you and the other half prodded by a Magewitch. I need something for myself, Velena."

"And what is it you think you need?"

"If I can't act as Devotia, I don't want the restrictions of a Devotia."

Velena stifles a surprised laugh, quickly realizing that Callie is serious. "You aren't kidding," she marvels.

"I'm not livestock," Callie scowls. "I can't just be an item to study."

"Practicing or not," Velena's tone returns to that of a lecture, "You are still a Devotia. Eventually your blessings will return, and anything you do now will change the expectations of your actions when you return. The rules are in place to protect the sanctity of your position."

"And I'd be fine with that if you could promise I would only be like this for a few days. How long will this take?"

"It's impossible to say, Callie, this is unexplored-,"

"My point exactly!" Callie rises from the couch, pacing back and forth. As much as Dynasa had cautioned her to keep her calm, three days of being caged is already beginning to eat away at Callie. "At least let me see a few people without a paladin escort."

"Gloriana is there for your-,"

"-protection," Callie completes, rolling her eyes. "She's not protecting me, she's my prison guard, Velena. I want some of my life to be unsupervised."

"To what end?"

Callie sighs. "I don't have to explain friends to you, do I?"

"A fair point," the magister concedes. "In these circumstances, I could only make an offer like that if I could confirm your ability to give out blessings is entirely restrained."

"Then prove it," she declares, dropping herself down onto Velena's sofa.

"Excuse me?"

Callie takes a breath, pushing away the embarrassed desperation she feels. As ashamed as she is making a request like this, she shoves down her pride. "If I can't bless anyone you'll let me have a life... so do whatever you have to in order to prove it."

Velena is quiet for a long moment. "Magisters are forbidden from petitioning a Devotia like this."

Callie sits forward more, trying to seem as servile and dutiful as she can. "It is only a petition if I bless you. It shouldn't be possible for me while I have this cage."

The magister rubs her jaw thoughtfully, staring at Callie with an inquisitive expression. "And yet there is still a possibility."

"Please," Callie begs. "Whatever it takes."

"I want to know what your concessions are exactly," Velena sits back, laying an arm along the backrest and crossing her knees. "Tell me."

"I want company," Callie says softly. "I want to be able to spend time with people I care about. I'm tired of being under house arrest."

"I can't lift your probation," Velena shakes her head. "Company to what end? It isn't like you can have sex anymore."

Callie frowns, glaring at the Magister. "Does it matter?"

"I suppose not," Velena sighs. "Do you have any other requests?"

"Are you going to actually humor any others?"

"No. No, I don't think so."

"Then let's prove that I can't do blessings and get on with it," she exhales, trying to wrap her mind around her jumbled feelings.

"I still haven't agreed to this."

"Velena..." Callie huffs, pouting and trying to appeal to her sympathy. She forces herself to stomach her displeasure once again, adding, "I promise that I will willingly participate in everything else you need from me. If you grant me this, I won't even complain."

Velena smirks. "I didn't know you had the capacity to withhold your complaints." She thinks to herself for a moment and adds, "I want your word that you will be compliant in everything I ask of you going forward."

"I promise," she nods, lowering her head.

"Bend over the armrest," the magister orders.

Callie raises an eyebrow, surprised with how forthright she is, but obeys. She lifts herself over the armrest, resting her chest down onto the cushion and letting her head dangle over the edge, sitting up onto her knees. It's a humiliating position, exposing herself like this, but she forces herself to push past the discomfort.

"Remove your underwear," Velena requests. Callie represses her own scowl, lifting her arms underneath her skirt and pulling her panties down past her knees. Velena flicks the skirt of her dress over her bottom, leaving everything on display, cage and ass and all.

"Keep your hands on the armrest," Callie hears as the magister moves closer, finding a comfortable kneeling position behind her. "I won't make this more of an ordeal than it needs to be."

Callie moves her arms out of the way, finding a place where she can use them to keep herself steady and leave them out of the way. Without any further warning, she suddenly feels two of Velena's fingers press against her asshole, immediately causing Callie to clench in surprise.

"Relax," Velena sighs.

The Magister waits for Callie to take a deep and humiliating breath before pushing further, letting the pads of each finger slowly enter her. Callie exhales as they move deeper inside, mildly frustrated at how dispassionate and impersonal Velena's touch feels. Velena's free hand rests on Callie's lower back, holding her down while her fingers slowly begin to thrust in and out of her.

Callie hates the straining feeling of her clit trapped inside the cage. By now the feeling of being penetrated like this is a familiar one to Callie, and she can feel her body follow its normal reactions, only to be subverted by the cage. She strains, wiggling frustratedly as each push inside of her causes her clit to twitch, unable to harden or expand.

She grunts as Velena's speed increases, pushing herself down further into the armrest to remain steady. Despite being so forward about the process, Velena doesn't seem to know exactly what spot to be focusing on and Callie has to shift awkwardly under her grasp to stimulate her prostate. She arches her back, finally finding the right adjustment, and closes her eyes tightly to try and enjoy the restrained sensation.

"How long does this usually take?" Velena asks, hiding the mild displeasure in her voice.

"This... this is a first," Callie huffs.

"You've never-,"

"Not in a cage," she interrupts gloomily. "You could at least try to enjoy it."

Velena's free hand lifts up and is quickly replaced by her forearm, suddenly pushing Callie's chest down into the armrest with a more aggressive force. "I take it your moratorium on complaints has yet to begin."

Callie sighs, trying to focus on the feeling of her fingers instead. Velena's speed increases and causes Callie's body to warm quickly, slowly growing more comfortable with the sensation. She tries to imagine it's anyone else's hand, maybe Junivere or Mira or... or even Calvin.

She does her best to dissociate, reveling in the occasional waves of pleasure that push through her and lamenting the loss of sensation in her clit. As unpleasant as the moment might be, Callie forces herself to focus instead on being able to see her friends again afterwards. Since the meeting with the Imperium she's been confined to her room, only allowed to leave with an escort, and only to see Velena or Dynasa.

12