Dingo's Fickle Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dingo licked his lips, thinking that would be Nicole calling to thank him for the rose and pleading for him to give her a fair go.

"Dingo speaking."

"Damien," said his mom Isabelle, sounding terribly upset. "It's your father, he's in hospital after the tractor he was driving across a grass slope rolled and he was crushed when flung halfway out of the machine when it came to rest."

"Doctors say his injuries are so severe there's nothing they can do for him but to keep him in a coma. He could go at any time."

"Mum, I'm so sorry. Chin up and I'll leave here within the hour and will be with you before tomorrow evening, or sooner if you want me to charter an aircraft?"

"No, just drive and don't speed excessively. Your father will have no idea who of us is around him. Believe me, that's true. However, of all people who will gather after his passing, you are the person I want most to be at my side."

"Okay mom, God bless, I'll come to you safely. Kiss-kiss."

Christ, Damien thought, the poor woman was about to lose her husband. Her thinking must be in a real mess. He was glad she'd called him despite knowing that his father had ordered him off the property, in effect chopping off all family ties.

First, he called Roddy who immediately offered condolences, but he sounded shocked when Dingo said it was very unlikely that he'd be returning to resume working for the company because it was more than likely he'd be needed at home to succeed his father at managing all the farm's operations.

"I-I understand," Roddy said mournfully. "You have featured significantly in ramping up our business as a barbecue chef par excellence. I'll really miss you as a friend and expect that the company's monthly income will take a big hit as word gets around that you've returned to the countryside far away."

"I'm sorry..."

Roddy cut in and said it wasn't Dingo's fault, it was just fate and Roddy would be worst hit with the expected loss of his father that would be a huge loss to the family. He said he had Dingo's home postal address on file, saying that his termination cheque would include a big bonus.

Landlady Kitty Hamilton cried when Dingo gave her the news about his father's tragic accident.

She hugged him and said she was so sorry and then really burst into tears when Dingo said he was leaving as soon as he packed his possessions into his vehicle and he'd not be returning because he anticipated his mother would want him to head the management of the farm operations.

"I'm sorry to be so devastated," Kitty said, hugging him. "It's not the money, it's because I'm in the process of losing possibly the best boarder in Melbourne."

"Come on Kitty," he chuckled, tickling her under the chin. "You'll replace me by someone who pleases you greatly."

"What a lonely rich widow seeking company?"

"Perhaps, or maybe two lesbian sisters coming to the city to find work and having no idea of what's ahead of them and requiring intense mothering and the influence of good leadership."

Kitty laughed away her tears and hugging him said he was such a tease but he was a lovely young guy with his heart in the right place.

"I'll invite you and those three best friends of yours to my wedding, if I ever have one."

"You will, the hairdresser's daughter has her eye on you according to her mother."

"Oh yeah, leaving Melbourne for remote living in South Australia; you're predicting the impossible."

"Well, I'm sticking with predicting the impossible as it will become reality," Kitty said stoutly.

"Come along, I'll help you pack neatly so that you can find things when you arrive home. Now remember, arrive home with flowers as probably it's the kind of gift at this moment that will appeal to your mother most. White roses are probably the number one choice while remember that red roses would be an inappropriate choice at this time."

"Why is that?"

"Omigod, you're twenty-eight and still green around the ears. Red roses are what you give your lover."

They hugged as Dingo was leaving and he said huskily, "Thanks for all you've done for me. You are the principle reason why I settled so well and so quickly into the urban life of Melbourne."

He waved as he drove off slowly, as she wiped her eyes and waved back.

Hmmm, he thought. Why was he such a hit with some older women but was usually treated with indifference of many females of his generation? Perhaps his manner appeared too old fashion?

As he drove off, Dingo made some other calls including his much older lover who had her phone off and he left a long and loving message.

He left Melbourne regretfully to begin the life he supposed he was destined to live, to become trapped in the relentless work and shouldering the chief responsibilities of managing a family farm. Actually, in many ways farming remained his prime interest and he resolved to soon begin the search to find the perfect female to share his life-style including and do the things women do for a man as a farmer's partner/wife. He resolved not to over-expect and ensure he landed a largely compatible female who ticked most of the boxes.

But there were other matters to consider, his unfortunate father who lay in a coma, apparently dying and his mother who's need Dingo's on-demand support that he'd gladly give providing she didn't appear to be playing on his sympathy. Yeah, all guys knew what females could be like.

Just before dusk on the second day, having kept up his average speed, Dingo drove in under the sign above the gate supported by beautiful gradually tapered poles. The sign read, C & I Foster's 'Mt Dawson Farm Perfecta'.

Her smiled, glad to be home again, and content in the knowledge that most Mt Dawson ram lambs were pre-sold within weeks of birth, all projected surplus hay from Mt Dawson river flats usually sold out up to a year before it was harvest and around 30% of its beef cattle sold at auction in the 5% of top sales for the district in any season.

"Yes, his father and his hired men, later joined by his sons, had farmed the livestock and crops well and managed the rotation of livestock and of crops according to recommendations of best practice. Clearly, his father would be leaving behind a great legacy.

Dingo assumed his mother would appoint him to the top management position to oversee continuance of his late grandfather's and then his father's management tradition that incorporate high respect for ensuring the land was not exploited beyond its capacity limits whatever the fluctuating seasonal weather conditions and other abnormal occurrences experienced.

It was 6.50 and he phoned the house, almost a kilometre up the unsealed road.

Sister Paula answered and screamed in delight when he said laconically, "It's your brother, feeling dead-beat along long hours of driving with only short bouts of uncomfortable sleep."

Paula yelled, "Mum, Damien is driving up to the house" and he cut the call, smiling.

The family, understandably somewhat sombre, gathered around to greet him with hugs or kisses and in some cases both.

Damien enjoyed the moment, expecting that was probably as good as it would get before in-fighting began.

His mother's tears wet his face as she announced, "Your father died at 2:12 this afternoon. We all were gathered around his bed when he breathed his last."

"I'm dreadfully sorry for you mum and will support you to the best of my ability."

"Thanks son, most of the loose ends have been wrapped up. Your father left everything to me and in his will named you as his successor to take over management of everything but you and I need to chat about that."

Oh-oh, thought Damien. It's started already.

"That's fine mum, but let's not rush it. Let's get the funeral behind us first."

"But I want to make it abundantly clear..."

"Mother, I suggested we leave the business side of things until after the funeral. That's a practical suggestion."

"You are attempting to bully me."

"Take it whatever way you like but I won't enter discussions until dad has been laid at rest."

Isabelle bit her lip. You are bullying me but to avoid any split in the family, I concur."

"Thanks mother."

Returning to the cab of his pickup, he returned with a huge bunch of roses.

"These are for you mum from your first-born who believes he understand the strain you must been experiencing. I love you mum, and always have."

"But you ran away from us."

"Leave that mum. It's history and perhaps for the good of the family, it should be buried."

"I'll never forget it."

"You may think that now, but I'll do my utmost to ensure you do forget it and life moves on."

"Mum, should I begin serving dinner while Damien has a quick shower to freshen up?"

"Um well, yes of course. Thanks for your sensible initiative Paula."

Damien was angry about his mother's aggression but knew she was practically seething.

As he washed away some of his travel weariness in the shower he thought, bingo, his mum had attempted to involve him in a power struggle. How stupid.

He guessed what it was, she wanted to establish herself as boss. Well, unless she was willing to engage in a compromise, he would be out of there heading back to Melbourne immediately the burial concluded.

His mother entered the bathroom and called, "Are you decent?"

"Always mother."

"I want you to know that I inherited the farm totally and I want to run everything. If that acceptable to you?"

Damien refrained from immediately saying no. Instead he said a compromise should be possible to suit both of them."

"Oh really, what do you propose."

"That we draft an agreement and once we have full agreement on the amended draft, we take it to Bryce the family solicitor and have it formalised into a legal agreement and registered. Firstly, as the ownership of the property is actually a company, I propose that you become chairman of the board and hold direct responsibility for policy, planning, administration and any single farm project expenditure exceeding $20,000 must go before the board seeking approval or rejection or modification of such proposed expenditure."

"Secondly, at the same time of confirmation of your status, I be appointed director of farm operations and head of farm management responsible without interference by any member of the board for the day to day operation of all farm activities."

Isabelle, nodding, said in general at first hearing all of that appeared to be sound thinking but she would be happier if expenditure requiring pre-approval from the board was lowered to $10,000."

"On a property this size and with so many big-expense activities, $10,000 is too low a threshold. Initially I had thought $50,000 but then thought you might find that too high and so compromise."

"Oh, and when did you think that, in the shower?"

"No, during the drive here earlier today when giving the whole matter serious and considerable thought."

"Oh, well I have to admit that you know more about the operations of this farm than I do, in much more detail."

"Thank you."

"I suggest we agree on a threshold before requiring full board approval of $30,000."

"Wow mum, that's great."

"In that case we have overall tentative agreement. Throw a towel around yourself and come out and give you widowed mum a big hug."

Damien did as he was told and in giving his mum a huge hug she burst into tears and said thankfully the big issue of company and operational responsibilities had been virtually sorted already, whereas she'd spent two nights and most of a day worrying herself almost sick about how mother and son might clash hurtfully during negotiations."

"Mum that was unnecessary as usually we are both level-headed. Does that clear up everything?"

"Ah, there's one little thing."

"By little I trust you mean little."

"I abhor you being called Dingo and calling yourself Dingo. I don't wish that to continue, at least not on this property."

"Sorry mum, it's non-negotiable. Dingo is my nickname and it stays, although I agree not to use it within your hearing as much as I can."

"That assurance means nothing; it's utter crap."

"I'll not use it to tease you mum."

"You mean never, Damien?"

"Yes, guaranteed for what that's worth."

She flared and asked what did that mean and he replied he'd do his best to maintain that undertaking.

"Gosh son, you are a stubborn sod and that's one thing you inherited from your father. Very well, get dressed quickly and come to dinner. Meanwhile, I announce to the family that you and I have tentatively reached agreement on the joint running of this property and it will be legally formalised and I believe that will give general relief in the family and the three men (permanent farm workers) should be told."

"Err, I suggest you don't mention our discussion about my nickname."

"You'll never hear my use it, it's foul," she said, hurrying from the bathroom.

He shook his head, wondering why she'd make such an issue about farm management and then over his nickname. He mused thinking that as family matriarch she'd felt it necessary to symbolically hammer her stake into the ground. After all, she was as sensible over practical matters as he was.

Smiling, he muttered, "Bloody women."

Chapter 4

Two weeks after the burial of his father, Damien was out near the back of the farm with the second oldest brother Scott and one of the permanent hired workers repairing leaks and checking nozzles in a mobile long wheel line irrigation system to be used to periodically water a recently planted extensive field of oats, automatically on pre-set command.

He took a call from his mother who sounded upset that a smooth-looking lady had arrived and asked to see him.

"She's not from around here obviously as she's dressed in swept-up casual clothes and appears to be looking for sex."

"What, how do you know that mum?"

"I suppose it was just an intelligent guess. How dare she use your nickname when addressing me."

"What's her name?"

"I haven't asked yet. She's gone to the toilet and I must admit she asked very politely for that privilege."

Damien laughed and his jibe of what had happened to country hospitality went unanswered.

"Mum, we'll be one two hours before we return. Call back when you find out her name. It's probably one of my former high school classmates who's heard I've returned home and she may well be looking for a date and even a proposal of marriage."

"Very well, but if she tries to become hoity-toity with me, I'll run her off the property. All she said initially was hi and asked was I the mother. What bloody impertinence just arriving without calling first and then immediately asking for you as if I were a maid expected to run and fetch you."

Laughing, Damien cut the call after saying it would be all okay and "Bye mum, have a good day."

As he checked that the other two guys were adhering to the correct maintenance techniques, Damien had a sudden thought about who the unexpected caller might be.

"Nicole!" he half-gasped.

Overhearing that, brother Scott asked, "Are you thinking nickel is a good investment?"

"No, I'm thinking about potentially the best fuck on the planet."

"Hey Davie," Scott called to the third workmate on this job, "This stronger countryside sun appeared to have gone to the head of my Bro fresh from his escape from the smog-cloaked city. He's just made a crack about fucking the planet."

"It can't be sunstroke, he's wearing a wide-brim hat."

"No dummy, he's thinking of fucking most of the nubile young women around here."

"What's a nubile woman?"

"Look it up on your laptop this evening, Davie. The answer will appeal to you, being a randy sod."

When the mindless banter turned to another random topic, Damien joined in and eventually the job was completed.

"Okay guys, good work. Let's go home for a pre-lunch beer and while travelling we can discuss nubile women."

"What are nubile women?" Davie asked again amid laughter from the better educated brothers.

On the long drive back to the homestead, just as Damien had frowned wondering why his mum had not called back, she called him.

"Yes, yes, yes," she yelled.

He removed the cell phone from his ear a bit to protect his hearing.

"Mum, have you gone loco?"

"It's Her," Isabelle ranted.

"She's the biggest thing that's ever happened in your life. She's light-years above the sluts and others you usually cohabit with. Marry her before she gets away."

"Mum, are you smoking weed?"

"Don't be so stupid, you know that I don't do drugs apart from alcohol, cough mixture and coffee."

"Then who is this amazing apparition?"

The other two guys in the cab of the all-wheel-drive farm workhorse had been following the loud phone conversation above the vehicle's motor and it's rattles and the thumps as it went over rough pasture, were astonished by Isabelle's uncharacteristic and almost stupefying outburst.

They leaned closer on the bench seat to Damien to catch the revelation.

"She's from Melbourne and I almost clipped her over the ear when she blatantly asked where was Dingo. But then I looked as her beautiful hair, her lovely face and the outline of a stunning figure and knew I wasn't dealing with a Melbourne prostitute chasing up unpaid fees for professional services."

"No, this femme looked cultured and all class, altogether hugely impressive.?"

Davie asked what was a femme and received a warning from Scott to hush.

"Her name is Nicole Soper and..."

"Omigod, she's coming into the room now after showering in a robe."

Damien yelled, "Mum don't pry and don't upset her. I'm infatuated by her."

"Ooh, lovely boy," came the honey tones of a younger woman who'd obviously been handed the phone by the probably stunned Isabelle.

The three guys in the vehicle gaped.

"N-Nicole, w-welcome."

"Thanks Dingo, and tell me, how can you be infatuated with me when we've only met briefly and regretfully, you've never laid your hands on me."

Isabelle, and the two guys with Damien gasped.

"Lack of opportunity Nicole, yes, total lack of opportunity, and some other things would have contributed. Um, why are you here?"

"It's because of my mother and you'll obviously know what mothers are like. Mum recognised on the phone the distressed state I when I learnt that you were leaving Melbourne, possibly for good and must have gone into deep thought mode."

"Minutes later she called me and announced she knew what I had to do. She'd get your home address from your landlady and said I should resign from my job, effective immediately, pack some clothes and go after you. She told me firmly that as a catch, that you were a pedigree and rather than being abandoned by you, I should go after you as proof of my interest in you."

"Dingo, I'm sorry if I have embarrassed you but those were mum's words and urgings and stuck me like a thunderbolt. I knew I had just received pearls of wisdom."

"No problem Nicole, I appreciate you coming here and everything is sweet. In fact, I'm flabbergasted that you have done so much to make it all happen. Obviously, you're a real enthusiast and I like that a lot."

"Um, I have two guys with me and they're hanging on to every word and wondering what's going on. I'm cutting the call now and we'll be there in twenty-minutes. I'm thrilled that you are here, Nicole. Bye."

Nicole turned to Isabelle and said, eyes shining, "He said he's thrilled I'm here. How can he say he'll be here in twenty, meaning twenty minutes dropping the word 'about'?"

"Honey, Dingo began driving when he was about eight, and that track he's on is rough and they can only travel comfortably between 20 and 30 kilometres an hour but he's done that journey hundreds of times. He probably looks for a tree or a water trough or particular fence post to fix his position on any track on the farm and then confidently, based on experience, knows how many hours and minutes he's from home."