Diplomacy: A Princess's Guide Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"To the safety of our kingdom!"

Everyone drank and then we sat down again, starting the dessert. A young man walked up to us with an impressive tray full of puddings of all sorts.

Lady Saffron, helped herself to a beautiful pastry and licked her fingers happily after she had taken a bite.

"I am curious, where will you continue your search, Captain?" she asked with interest.

Asher nodded. "I will search the forest, since they are the most likely places to find something."

"Aren't you afraid that something might happen to you?" Lady Saffron continued. "If you find something?"

"No, we will be prepared for the worst," Asher said and looked at me. "We will have weapons and a skilled group of soldiers."

He tried to make it seem harmless, but I was worried. Who knew what dangers there were? Or what the attackers would do if they were cornered? I shook off that thought immediately, focusing on the conversation.

"It is still dangerous, though. It is dark and you could easily be ambushed, Captain Asher," she said. "Isn't it?"

"I have faced worse, and I do enjoy hunting," he answered, giving her a grin and taking a bite from the dessert in front of him.

Lady Saffron nodded and ate a bit of her dessert, "I guess, that makes sense."

After that she remained quiet for some time.

I took a deep breath and decided it was time for me to say something.

"Why are you searching the forests in particular?" I asked Asher, trying to let my voice sound as neutral as possible.

"They are a good place for people to hide and there are a lot of trails to explore," he said. "Most probably the villagers have seen something and maybe one of them will have something helpful to share with us. But for now, we have to concentrate on making sure no more people get harmed."

"But our kingdom rarely has any forests at all, so you think, the culprit or culprits lie outside of our borders," I stated.

He swallowed hard. "That is correct, your Highness," he replied, his jaw clenching. "We aren't sure yet. But it looks like, whoever or whatever it is, entered the territory from outside."

"So the incidents all had to happen at the western border, as the forests are on this side."

"Yes, that is correct, your Highness," he answered and took a large sip from his drink, which still stood beside him.

"The wolfborn are located in the west," I stated again and I could swear that he didn't want to say what I practically forced him to say.

The other attendees at the table stiffened visibly. For a short time it was absolutely silent and you could hear nothing else than people quietly chewing on their dessert. It felt strange. I looked at Asher. He wore an unreadable expression on his face.

"Yes, your Highness, that is true."

"So you suspect them?" I asked him bluntly, and some gasps echoed through the room, but I ignored them. "Don't you, Captain Asher?"

The tension between us was so thick, you could've cut through it. He cleared his throat.

"The wolfborn are known for their brutality, their uncivilized nature and their tendency to attack, when provoked, so we must consider them as possible suspects," he said calmly, looking into my eyes. His tone didn't express his thoughts or feelings. He did well masking them, but his eyes gave him away to me. But he was angry at me for mentioning the fact that it was the wolfborn he suspected.

My father had stiffened beside me, but he hadn't stopped me, either.

"Thank you for your insight, Captain Asher," I smiled at him politely. "I apologize for coming off so bold. Please excuse me for my curiosity."

I glanced up to my father and he furrowed his brows at me. Asher gave me a slight nod.

"Of course, your Highness."

My father sighed, relieved to end the tense interaction and chuckled dryly, "Dear Cybele knows how inquisitive my daughter can be," he added.

The rest of the meal continued in silence, only broken by Lady Saffron's continuous babble about what she had done that day and her hopes for the future. It was a welcome relief from the awkwardness that hung in the air and provided a semblance of normalcy.

Two hours later I walked back to my room to change into the gown for the evening celebration with the whole town.

The black dress was simple, yet elegant and the skirt was very long, the embroidery on the bodice adding a touch of class to the otherwise plain dress. The dress was made from black silk, which moved easily against my skin and gave it a smooth texture that I loved. The neckline was cut low, showing off my cleavage, but not too much to look inappropriate. I loved wearing this gown, it showed my body in all the right ways and made me feel comfortable. I left my hair loose, the coloured strands falling down my back and over the shoulders, the ends curling in gentle waves.

The heels I wore gave me some height and with the confidence the outfit provided, I felt like I could rule the world.

Walking to the banquet hall I found a lot of people already celebrating with dancing and drinks. The hall was already filled with music and chatter, happy chatter with light conversations and joyful sounds.

I went to the small kitchen, where the servants were preparing the food and drink for the celebration and asked them if they needed help.

They sent me away with a smile, saying they were doing fine, so I went to the balcony, where I usually stood when I wanted to get a different perspective on the party.

The moon was high in the sky, the light illuminating the room in a soft blue hue.

"You put Captain Asher under a lot of pressure today, Enya," my father said softly behind me, a hint of disapproval in his tone.

I turned towards him, keeping my face stoic. I hadn't realized he had followed me out onto the balcony.

"I asked relevant questions that needed to be answered," I replied, standing perfectly still before my father. "And it was simply logical."

My father snorted and stepped towards me, his expression softened, "You are right, but that doesn't make it any better, Enya. I asked him to avoid mentioning the wolfborn on this occasion."

"Why would you do that? We deserve the truth!" My reply was short, harsh.

"I know, but it wasn't the right time for him to state the obvious," his response was softer this time.

He paused to take a sip from his wine, swirling the liquid slowly.

I took a deep breath, "You should have just told me that you asked him to avoid it. Then I wouldn't have pushed him."

"Yes, I should have," he agreed, "but I was caught off guard by your interrogation and didn't have time to intervene or to give you a warning."

"So now we have to consider the wolfborn as the culprits, or will you just ignore the evidence?"

"I will not ignore anything, Enya, you know that. But I trust that Commander Aris and Captain Asher will do their best to find out who is behind it. If you have any questions, please feel free to talk to them directly."

There it was, a reason to talk to Asher in private without causing further suspicions. This day had improved incredibly, despite some awkward parts and some minor setbacks.

"Fine, I will."

"Take care, Enya. I will connect with the people. Enjoy this evening."

He kissed my forehead and left me alone with my thoughts, my gaze following the moon as it continued its path across the night sky. I breathed in deeply, letting the crisp cool air fill my lungs. I loved the sensation of the winter chill against my face, reminding me that spring was close at hand. I pushed myself off the Balcony parapet and walked around the ballroom, looking for Asher.

After a while, I spotted him, standing against a pillar, a glass of wine in his hand. He looked so handsome, dressed in black pants, a white shirt and a dark blue vest, his blonde hair cut short, but messy on purpose.

My breath hitched at the sight and I had to bite my lip to stop myself from walking over to him and kissing him.

Instead, I took a deep breath and made my way over to him.

"Captain Asher, if I may have a word," I asked him and his head snapped up, a surprised look in his eyes, before he nodded politely.

"Your Highness."

His lips twitched upward in an almost smile, then he bowed to me, not before I saw a flicker of desire in his eyes.

"Let's go somewhere, so we can talk."

I walked to the balcony and knew we wouldn't be disturbed and nobody could listen to us.

No one would dare enter the balcony if the princess was talking to the Captain of the royal guard on the balcony.

"Asher, my father gave me permission to talk to you about the incidents in detail," I started and saw a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "What?"

"Nothing," he replied and cleared his throat. "How can I be of assistance, your Highness?"

His smile grew wider as he spoke and I had to fight the urge to step closer to him.

"You can be in my room after the fireworks end," I whispered, and he nodded his head.

"As you wish, Enya," he said, a dark hunger in his eyes.

"My father told me, that he asked you, not to say anything regarding the wolfborn," I started and leaned against the reiling, letting my eyes wander over the city.

"That is correct, your Highness," he replied and I felt his body heat, even though there was a good distance between us. "But why did he ask me not to, when you clearly are aware of it."

"He was sure that I could read between the lines but he didn't think I would force you to lay it out to the others as well. I am sorry."

He shook his head, "It's fine, I understand, Enya."

I didn't look at him, but continued staring at the city, listening to the soft noises from the party, the music and the people talking. He walked over and leaned against the reiling himself, one foot resting on the lower part of it.

"Enya, you have been thinking about this for a while now, haven't you," he said and I didn't say anything, instead I took a deep breath, his scent invading my senses. "Since you knew, we were patrolling the forests, as well."

The way he said my name made me shiver. Usually I was "your Highness," he only called me Enya, when we were alone. There was something incredibly sexy about the way he spoke my name with his husky voice.

"Yes," I admitted, "I knew, it was a possibility, and the wolfborn are known to attack."

"And you are afraid that they are trying to get into our kingdom."

"I am afraid that they are trying to get into our kingdom, yes," I replied and let my gaze wander over the mountains, the forest and the small village, that was visible from here, before I looked at him. "It would be a major threat."

His eyes darkened and he clenched his jaw slightly, making his handsome features look all the more intimidating, as he looked out at the village. "We will find them, Enya."

His voice was full of determination, anger even. He looked down at me and his blue gaze softened. His features were hard, sharp, chiseled as if they had been carved from stone.

I nodded, because I trusted him. He was a good man, an excellent Captain.

"You look breathtaking today, Enya," he said softly, his voice thick with desire. "The dress fits you perfectly."

I could feel myself blush. "Thank you, Asher," I replied and turned around, facing him. "You look very handsome."

Every fiber of my body wanted to touch him, feel him, kiss him. I wanted him so bad, it was maddening. But I forced myself to resist the urge. There would be enough time for that later on.

He looked at me, his eyes full of lust, his pupils dilated.

"How long until the firework starts?" I asked him impatiently.

"Two hours," he pressed through his teeth.

"Two hours?" I asked incredulously. "I cannot wait that long, Asher."

I knew I could make up an excuse to leave early.

"I am expected there, Enya. If you were missing, the king wouldn't mind. If I were missing, he would ask to find me, I was at the feast earlier after all."

"Asher...," I groaned in frustration. Why did he have to be so strict with himself? Well, he probably wouldn't be Captain otherwise.

"I know, Enya," he said, his hands balling into fists. "Two hours, then you will have me."

Then you will have me, he had said, not, Then I will have you.

He knew exactly that I was in charge.

I huffed a laugh, because the thought was so bizarre. I was small, in size and frame and he was...well, not small.

"Yes, then I will have you," I confirmed and I saw a shudder go through his body, before he nodded.

"Please excuse me, Captain, I think I need a drink," I said and nodded curtly, before he bowed at the waist.

I made my way over to the table and poured myself a glass of red wine, before I sat down and listened to the music, watching the people dancing.

"Here you are!" Lady Saffron said, before she sat next to me.

"Yes, here I am."

"Did you enjoy the food?" she asked and her big eyes were sparkling in anticipation.

"Yes, it was delicious."

"The dessert was divine, wasn't it?" she asked and I nodded.

"Yes, it was."

"Did I see you speak to Captain Asher earlier? Isn't he nice to look at?" she asked dreamily and I rolled my eyes.

"You are drunk, Mary and yes, I talked to him earlier. About the wolfborn thing." I just ignored her last comment and hoped she wouldn't notice, drunk as she was.

"Ohhh, no wonder he looks grumpy," she giggled and I shot her a warning look. Well, she couldn't know that he was grumpy for a whole other reason.

"Yes, probably," I said and took another sip from my drink.

"Have you seen how Lady Venda looked at him earlier? I wonder if she tries to sneak him away," Mary wondered and I nearly snorted out my wine.

Well, it wouldn't work, but I guess, that could be a funny situation if she really did try.

"She wouldn't succeed, anyway, he would never be interested in her, he is a soldier, not a noble."

"He is not married, though, maybe she has a plan," she smirked. "I heard he is single."

"I don't think she would do that, she is a noble and he is a commoner, that's not allowed," I replied matter of fact.

"Oh puh-lease," she giggled. "As if that would stop some ladies. And it certainly doesn't stop you, does it?"

My eyes widened in shock and I turned towards her. Did she just know? Could I have done something? But when had she known? Was it that obvious, to everyone? It surely had to be obvious for the king, right?

"I knew I was right," she said triumphantly. "Your emotions can be read from your face, when you are surprised," she giggled and took another sip.

I tried to remain calm, even though I was dying inside, but my composure would not break so easily.

"Whatever are you talking about?" I asked her and took a deep breath.

Mary huffed a short laugh and grinned.

"You like him, don't you?" she said and leaned in closer. "I knew it!"

"I don't like him, Mary, he is just a friend," I snapped at her, and I knew that my face was flushed, probably betraying me.

"Sure, your Highness, just a friend," she mocked me and I narrowed my eyes at her.

"He is," I insisted and she sighed dramatically.

"I won't tell anyone, your Highness, don't worry," she said and leaned closer. "But tell me one thing, is he good in bed?"

I nearly choked on my wine and the heat in my cheeks flared up even more.

"Mary!" I exclaimed and she snickered to herself.

"Hey, I am just curious, have you two done the deed?" she asked again. "Have you?" she persisted and I stayed quiet.

"Mary...," I said in a warning tone, trying to not give anything away.

"Is he a beast, or is he gentle? I bet he is wild and passionate..."

"Mary!" I hissed at her, trying not to laugh at her words. "I will not discuss this with you."

She wasn't a tattletale, but I wouldn't risk anything.

"Fine, fine, I will let it rest, for now," she sighed and looked at the people in the room. "It is quite interesting how people live their lives."

"I am not sure what you mean."

"Look at that girl, she is dancing with a handsome young man, she looks happy and content. The boy is in awe and looks at her with the biggest smile on his face. And those two over there, they are married and have been for years, yet they act like teenagers, flirting with each other."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"I don't think so, it is a nice feeling, when you are with the right person. You should find the person who makes you feel like that, like the girl does with the boy, or those two do with each other." I looked over and nodded in agreement.

"But look at those two," Mary said and pointed at an old man with a much younger woman, "the man is rich and can provide for her, he could buy her anything she wants. Yet, she follows him around like a puppy, all excited."

"I would not call that excitement, it is more like desperation."

"The question is, if the money makes her happy enough to trade love for it," she said, thinking.

"I wouldn't," I said without thinking.

"Yes, but we have never had to think about money. We don't need it desperately. We can't put ourselves in her shoes," Mary mused, "or the others."

"You are right, Mary, but we shouldn't judge. We will never know what goes on inside their heads, so let's not talk about it anymore, okay?"

She nodded, "Yes, of course, sorry."

"Don't be sorry, Mary, it is interesting to talk about it."

"It is, but sometimes it gets too much and makes me sad."

"I understand that, and I know how it feels, but we can't let it control our lives," I said and looked at her. "We have to live the best life that we can."

"You are right, your Highness, as always," she laughed and held up her glass. "Cheers to the best life."

"Cheers, Mary."

The night went on and Mary got drunker and drunker, before she finally got a hold of herself and stumbled to her room.

It was nearly time for the fireworks, so I walked outside and stood beside my father.

***

The sky was dark and the moon was shining bright, the stars twinkling above us.

"How is Lady Saffron?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his tone.

"Drunker than a sailor on his birthday."

"That is probably not the best comparison," he laughed and looked up at the sky.

"No, probably not," I replied and took a sip from my wine, the taste making me smile.

"How was your evening?" he asked, his eyes searching my face. "Was the food to your liking?"

"It was, and the celebration was beautiful," I said. "Thank you for the invitation."

"It was my pleasure, Enya," he smiled. "It is a good opportunity for you to get to know the people."

"Yes, it was nice," I replied, thinking back to everything that had happened tonight and I couldn't keep myself from blushing, when I remembered what would come later.

"Our guests will be here shortly. You are free to leave after the fireworks, I have something to discuss with the Commander and Captain after the fireworks, anyway." Shit. That meant that Asher couldn't just leave after the fireworks but had to talk to my father and who knew how long that would take.

"Yes, thank you, father," I replied. A few moments later the council, as well as the Captain and Commander gathered around us.

I looked at the sky, when my father turned to Asher and the Commander.

"I need a word with you after the fireworks," he informed them and they bowed at their waists.

"As you wish, your Majesty," Asher replied, his face neutral, but I could see the muscles in his forearm straining, as he balled his hands to fists. Well, at least I wasn't the only one who was pissed.

I clenched my jaw. I hoped Asher had a great answer to his Majesty and found a good excuse to finish that talk with me. My whole being demanded his touch. All day long I have thought about him, being driven nearly crazy by him being so near, but out of reach, so frustratingly unreachable during the banquet.

The first firework exploded in the sky and the crowd gasped in awe. The light illuminated the sky, a mix of red, purple and green.