Diplomacy: A Princess's Guide Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before me stood a woman, her features blurred, as if she was shrouded in mist, but I could make out a slender and tall figure, clad in a simple, white, long dress, her silver hair falling in gentle waves down her back.

"Who are you?" I asked and the figure slowly started to approach me, until her pale fingers were wrapped around mine. The soft radiance of her touch enveloped me in a gentle and familiar warmth.

"I am Selena, the Goddess of the moon, the night, and the moon's beauty," she whispered, her voice barely audible, while she looked into my eyes.

"How do you know my name?"

"I know your name because I have chosen you, Althea, you will be the one to save the wolfborn, you will be the one to heal their lands, you will be the one to bring peace, order, and justice to the wolfborn, to unite the two kingdoms."

"You have chosen me?" I asked and her hand reached for my face, caressing my cheek, her touch sending a shiver down my spine.

"Yes, you are strong-willed, passionate and empathetic, you are loyal and caring, and your kindness and compassion are unmatched. You will be the one to heal the wolfborn and save them, you will be the one to bring peace and justice back to the realm, you will be the one to heal the lands and unite the two kingdoms."

I swallowed and looked at her, her beauty captivating me, as if I was in a trance. This was the oddest dream I ever had.

"How?" I breathed, her hand still cupping my cheek, her thumb caressing my skin, as if she was trying to memorize every little detail, before she closed the gap between us and placed a soft kiss on my forehead, her warm breath washing over me, making my body shiver with anticipation.

"You will find a way, my Althea, I have faith in you and so will the wolfborn. You have already made a great impression on them, they will love you and respect you, and they will follow you wherever you go. Give me your wrist," she told me and I stretched out my arm.

She took it in her hand and I could feel a soft prickling on the inside of my wrist, like a tiny needle was being pushed into my skin, before a burning sensation followed. Burning heat rose up from my wrist and spread throughout my entire body.

"This is a mark, a sign that you are mine, that I have chosen you. Wear it proudly and it will protect you."

I looked down to my right wrist and saw a full moon, like a tattoo, but it was slightly... moving?

"What is it?"

"It is a protection symbol, my Althea, it will keep you safe, when no one else can. It will protect you from danger and harm, as long as you live, it will always be there for you," she smiled and I looked up, a warm glow in her eyes, her thumb stroking over my skin again.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome, my Althea, now leave this place and take care of yourself and the people."

She let go of my hand and smiled, her lips pulled into a warm smile, her eyes gentle and loving.

"I will."

"Good, I have high expectations for you," she whispered and my heart skipped a beat, before she turned away and slowly faded away, before darkness consumed me again.

***

"Enya?" I heard Aedan whisper and I jerked, noticing that I had leaned against his broad chest.

His arms were wrapped around me, holding me in place while he looked at me, his brows furrowed, his eyes filled with worry and concern.

"Enya, what happened?" he asked and I shook my head.

"Strange dream."

He let go of me and I sat upright, before I noticed a prickle in my wrist.

The moon was still there. Hadn't it been a dream? What was going on here?

"Enya, are you alright?" concern laced his voice, while he bent forward to look over my shoulder. "You smell odd."

"I smell odd?" I asked confused.

"Like a foreign scent," he clarified and I raised my eyebrows.

"Like a foreign scent?" I asked and he had to think I was stupid, as I was just echoing his words, but they made no sense to me. Then he looked at my wrist.

"The Goddess Selena has blessed you, hasn't she?" he asked and I looked at him, his eyes fixed on the moon in my wrist, while my hand came up and I gently caressed the moon, the feeling of warmth and affection returning, the moon tingling under my fingertips.

"Uhm... I guess so?" I stuttered. How did he come up with these answers to seemingly impossible questions?

"Did she give you this mark?" he asked and I nodded slowly.

"It's beautiful," he whispered and I nodded again, speechless about the whole situation. What was happening? This didn't make any sense and my heart started to race at an alarming pace.

"It's moving, see?" I held my hand up higher and he put his hands under my hand, holding it steady.

He watched in awe as the tattoo pulsated under my skin. I felt his warmth seep through my skin and all the way up my arm. It felt... good, I realized. He gently stroked the tattoo with his thumb, sending a shiver through me.

The forest around us was quiet. Only the gentle breeze of the wind and the soft crunch of leaves breaking the silence of the night.

"How fascinating," he said and dropped my hand, when I turned around and looked into his eyes.

His jaw dropped, his brows raised, I would have found it comical if he didn't look quite shocked.

"Enya, your eyes," he breathed and I quickly averted my gaze, but he caught my chin and moved my head back, as he stared into my eyes.

"What about them?" I asked quietly and he smiled slightly.

"They are swirling with silver," he breathed and I looked into his eyes, while he observed mine. "I have never seen anything like that. They are beautiful."

I didn't answer, I was too busy looking into his eyes, before I cleared my throat, "So, uhm..."

"What are you two... holy shit, Princess!" Kassandra yelled out as she looked at us. Aedan dropped his hand immediately, as he heard Kassandra and Carr approaching.

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment and I bit the inside of my cheek, not sure what was so special about my eyes or what was going on at the moment.

"Selena has blessed her," Aedan explained and Carr turned around.

"Selena has blessed her?" he asked, before a broad smile spread across his face. "This is amazing! What did she do?" he asked and Aedan shrugged.

"She gave her a mark," he pointed at my wrist and Carr came to look at it.

"What does it do?"

"It is supposed to protect me, when no one else can," I said quietly and looked down at my wrist. Kassandra shook her head.

"That's... Unexpected," she said with a grin.

"Does it hurt?" Aedan asked and I shook my head.

"No, it feels... nice," I breathed, not able to find other words to describe the feeling in my wrist.

"It does look very pretty," Kassandra offered and looked closely at the tattoo on my wrist.

She ran a finger over it and a smile spread across her face.

"Should we go back?" I asked, suddenly tired of all the weirdness going on around me.

"Yeah, we should," Aedan said and sat upright, leaning forward to grab the reins and steered the horse back home.

***

We arrived pretty late at the castle and Aedan walked me to my room.

I quickly opened the door and walked to the mirror to look at my eyes. It was the same blue, but it had fine lines of silver that swirled around in random patterns.

"Fascinating," I whispered and blinked a few times, but they didn't disappear.

"I like them," Aedan's voice sounded from the door and I turned around, seeing him leaning against the doorframe.

"You don't have to stay in the door, you know?" I said and turned around to the mirror again, my back towards him, not bothering to invite him to sit.

"I'm just checking if everything is alright."

"Why wouldn't it be?" I asked and looked at him, while he stepped into the room and closed the door behind him, his eyes fixed on me.

He looked at my face intently. As if he were trying to commit each detail to memory.

"What did Selena tell you?" he asked and I moved to the bed to sit on it.

"She told me I was chosen, that I will be able to help the wolfborn, that I will save them and bring peace and justice back to the realm," I started and then shook my head, not wanting to believe my own words. It sounded even weirder, when I said it like that.

Aedan looked at me with a blank expression, "Did she tell you how to do it?"

"I have to unite our kingdoms and we have to fight a common enemy," I said quietly, pulling up my feet and sitting in a cross-legged seat.

He sat beside me and leaned back against the headboard, before he looked at the ceiling and crossed his arms in front of his chest. The wood creaked slightly under his weight.

"Do you think it is possible?" he asked without looking at me after he had stretched out his legs.

"I don't know, but I hope so. My people are not very fond of wolfborn."

"So I've noticed," he said with a smirk and I punched his thigh, his muscles hard as rocks under his dark pants.

"It's not funny, Aedan!" I said and he raised his hands in defense, his eyes widening slightly.

"I know, I know!" he huffed and dropped his hands.

I rested my back against the wooden headboard of the bed and put my hands in my lap, unsure about what to do now. There was some silence, both of us just sitting there, lost in our thoughts.

"Can you imagine what this kingdom would look like, if we were united? The prosperity that would follow? The possibilities of trade and the expansion of trade routes?" he asked in a wondering tone, looking over at me, as a wistful expression spread across his face.

"I can," I whispered. "And that would create jobs and improve the overall well-being of both populations."

I met his eye with a newfound enthusiasm at the possibility of a different future. I felt like we were on the brink of something great, if only we knew how to get there.

"You know, what is odd?" I thought out loud and Aedan turned his head to me, raising an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Maybe 20 years from now, we will be the leaders of our kingdoms. We could just wait, but fate decided that we have to take action now. Fate is strange, isn't it? How some things are predestined in a way. It makes me wonder if we even make real choices for ourselves," I replied with a small chuckle and rubbed my thumb over the silver in my tattoo, while Aedan looked pensive, mulling the idea over.

"Maybe it does, but who are we to judge? Maybe all the choices we have made led us right here," he hummed in agreement. "Maybe this is what we both needed, Enya."

I played with my hair, pulling a strand in front of my face and twirling it around my finger.

"Your hair looks so soft," Aedan mumbled and I looked over at him.

"You are awfully nice today," I observed and he smirked.

"I'm always nice," he winked and I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, I'm going to sleep."

"I'll be gone then," he said and got up, turning towards the door.

"Aedan."

"Yes?" he stopped and turned back to me.

"Thanks for accompanying me."

"It was a pleasure."

He left and closed the door behind him, while I smiled, before I snuggled down and fell asleep.

***

The next few days I spent my time observing the wolfborn. Spending time with them was different than I expected. They were kind and warm, and the castle was full of laughter and cheers.

All the guards had different attitudes and I was astounded by their differences as well as how quickly they accepted me amongst them. They noticed my eyes and knew that Selena had chosen me.

I had feared that they would disapprove of that, as I was an ordinary human and no wolfborn, but they didn't seem to care. They respected me and let me be a part of their daily lives.

I had visited Asher when I had the time and he was feeling better with every passing day.

I spent time with Kassandra, watching her fight and train, and I also spent time with the people, who worked in the kitchen, and in the fields, and with the soldiers, who guarded the castle.

I trained with Carr, who, unsurprisingly, beat me every time.

Aedan was nice to me, always there when I needed him and always there to listen, when I needed someone to talk to. It was nice to spend time with him and get to know him better, while I got to know the kingdom as a whole.

Deep down I wondered if the suspicion in Moira of wolfborn was right or if it was just something that built over time and no one had tried to change it.

A week had passed and I was standing outside, watching the soldiers training, when someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around, finding Kassandra, who was wearing tight black leather trousers and a tight fitting white shirt, showing her toned stomach, which was dusted with a light layer of sweat. "Want to spar?"

"What?"

"Want to spar?"

"With you?" I asked and she smirked.

"Well, yeah, I'm here and you are there."

"Uhm... Sure, I guess."

I followed her into the training area and picked up a wooden sword.

"How good are you?" Kassandra asked and I threw her one of her own swords.

"Better with daggers," I admitted, before she drew her arm back, taking a defensive position.

"You ready?"

"Try me!" I gave back with a wide smile.

We spared for a while, and I was glad that I was able to keep up.

She was a good opponent, strong and fast, but I was also a lot faster than her.

She swung her sword, aiming for my chest, while I ducked and rolled, before I kicked out her legs, sending her onto her back, the sword skidding over the floor. I straddled her and pressed my sword to her throat, the tip just touching the hollow of her neck.

"Do you yield?"

I bent over her, breathing heavily, and looked at her, her eyes glinting with mirth, as she chuckled. "I yield."

"Thank you," I smiled and helped her back up, when I heard a whistle and turned around, finding Aedan and Carr, who were grinning like idiots. I looked over at them and laughed softly.

"You did awesome," Kassandra praised and I nodded.

"You were really strong, too."

"You still forget to lift your left hand, when you are attacking," I heard a familiar voice, turned around and saw Asher limping toward us.

"Asher!" I called out, before I ran over to him, nearly running him over.

"Hey there," he grinned and hugged me quickly.

"You are better, aren't you?"

"I'm a lot better."

"You look better than the last time I saw you," Kassandra said and he smiled at her.

I looked between them, unaware that they knew each other.

"I didn't know you were allowed to walk around yet. How are your ribs?" I asked and he smiled.

"My ribs are better, too. The healer said I could go outside, as long as I don't push it too hard. I couldn't stay in bed much longer."

"Good to hear," I said and smiled.

"So, did you two spar?" he asked and we nodded.

"Yes, I won, though," I chuckled and Asher whistled.

"Princess, you're a savage."

"I like this side of her," Kassandra chuckled.

"And you two? Enjoying the view?" Asher asked, as he looked over to Carr and Aedan.

Carr blushed and Aedan smirked.

"They are, indeed," I laughed, while Asher smiled.

"You're pretty good," Aedan said to me and I blushed.

"Thank you."

Gods. Would my body ever stop reacting like that?! It was horrible.

"I'm going to have to up my game," Kassandra said and threw me a wink, before she walked off, while Aedan was grinning like a fool.

"What?"

"Nothing," he shrugged and followed Kassandra, before Carr looked at me and smiled.

"Wanna train a bit more?"

"Sure," I answered and he gave me the sword.

He was a lot tougher to beat than Kassandra, but I managed to land a few hits.

"Good," he grinned and handed me the sword back, before he put a hand on my shoulder. "You're doing great, Enya."

I smiled "Thanks, Carr!"

***

In the evening, after I had showered, I met up with Asher in the courtyard.

"You got pretty close with them," Asher said and I nodded, while he walked alongside me.

"I know. It is not hard to get close to them, once they let you in."

He huffed a laugh.

"I didn't know that you knew Kassandra," I said and looked at him, closely watching his reaction. I didn't want to be jealous but I couldn't help it.

He went through so much to get to me and ever since I had seen him in the infirmary I felt so bad for him. He had fought for me, risked his life for me, and I owed him so much. Seeing him with someone else felt weird.

"She was there when... they attacked us. She treated my injury, when Carr and she found me," he told me and I could feel a lump forming in my throat. It hurt that I was in part responsible for what happened to him.

"Asher, I am so sorry, I shouldn't have dragged you into all of this, you should've never been hurt or..."

He stopped me by grabbing my arms.

"Enya, I made a choice. We all did. And I would do it all over again. You are worth the risk. The moon has blessed you, she has chosen you. It's only a matter of time until everyone will know who you are, what you can do, what you represent, and what you mean to the kingdom."

He pressed a soft kiss to my forehead, before he took a step back. It was a small step but it felt like something had ripped between us. Something stronger than gravity, something bigger than us both. Something that went far beyond the mere physical relationship between us.

I took a deep breath and tried to calm the feelings that had erupted inside me.

"I am a bit tired, I think I'm gonna go to bed now," he told me and I smiled.

"Yeah, I can imagine."

I watched him go, when I should have walked after him and I hated myself for it. But I couldn't and I didn't know why. What was stopping me? Why was I feeling so conflicted?

I shook my head and returned to my room, closing the door behind me and took a deep breath. I fell forward in my bed and hugged my pillow tightly. It wasn't like, I hadn't noticed, that we had drifted somewhat apart.

When I visited him, he rarely tried to flirt with me anymore, we mostly held hands and that was about it. I didn't push it myself either, not wanting to pressure him into anything. I was confused, unsure whether to feel hurt or relieved at his emotional distance from me.

A knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts and I sighed, got up and opened the door, to see Aedan standing there. His timing was almost scary.

"Are you alright?" he asked after having seen my face, concern lacing his tone, and I forced a small smile.

"Yeah, I am fine. Why?"

"You didn't show up for dinner."

"I am just tired, that's all," I lied.

He looked at me for a moment, as if he was waiting for me to tell him more, but I didn't, I just stared right back at him and hoped that he wouldn't notice the sadness I was feeling.

He stepped into the room, while I closed the door. "How are things going?"

"The training?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Fine, I guess."

"You seem upset about something," he pointed out and I sat on the bed.

"No, it's just... I don't know, maybe it's all this new situation or the pressure that comes with it. All I have been doing is trying to get better. My mind is overworked and I'm tired. It's frustrating," I told him, letting out a deep breath. It sounded lame even in my own ears.

Aedan crossed his arms in front of his chest and furrowed his brows, a slight frown creeping onto his face, while he eyed me up carefully.

"There's something else?" he asked and I sighed.

"Can you read minds or anything?" I asked him and he chuckled, before he sat beside me.

"What is troubling you?" he asked softly.

"Asher," I said, and his brows furrowed, as if he was not quite sure what to make of it.

"Why?" he then asked, cocking his head to the side slightly.

"Because...," I trailed off, biting the inside of my cheek to stop myself from rambling on, as my mind went over our earlier conversation, "he told me he met Kassandra, after... when the attack happened."