Disposable Hero Ch. 03 Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Having successfully dismounted, she walked into the temple and admired the rich carving and paintings on the walls and ceiling. She bowed her head at the silver swords on the right of the altar. If she fell in battle she knew a silver sword would be placed on this very wall. It would be a sign of hard earned respect for a "firster" as she and the others were called by the Horsemen. The term meaning they were the original people of Alirota unlike the Horsemen who told stories of being from another place and returning to it one day. Finishing her prayers she saw the priest standing by the door. Walking up to him, she kissed his left hand as sign of respect for his wisdom as he placed his right on her head as a sign that she was the strength of their faith. He blessed her as she genuflected before him and left the temple. Seeing her men joking with the Horsemen as food and drink arrived, she saw the horses were put up and walked towards them when she heard a knowing cough.

Turning she saw a woman about 50, looking every bit like a Kukla doll, walking towards her, Bryn sighed and knew she wasn't getting any sleep tonight, she turned to the woman and said, "Mother, what have I done that I am to be tormented by you?"

Mother smiled, showing genuine affection for Bryn who she loved like she was her own, and replied, "I am honored every time you call me mother. I know it pains you to say those words knowing your mother gave her life giving birth to you. I have much to say, and you, and your men, will have far to go and will need our help."

Bryn was about to respond when Mother turned and started talking to nobody saying, "I will tell her if you keep quiet! Yes, I will tell her about the mountain moving, Yes, I will tell her about the flower in the darkness. Leave me be so I can do this without my child feeling lost. Had I known you would be such a pain in the ass I would have never led my people to you. You might have been our first Getman but that does not mean we should follow blindly. I remember our agreement and I have kept it. Now hush, and let me do what I must. Do you have the information I seek to do this?"

Mother turned back to Bryn grabbed her elbow and started walking Bryn towards her Khata, or house, saying, "I feel we will need a few drinks as we talk, the gods can be so demanding. We will enjoy Zakus as I tell you of things that you must know."

Bryn had seen Mother talk to the wind before and knew she talked to angels, but she had never seen her be testy with any of them. She put her hand on top of Mother's and knew it would be a long night. Mother was offering Zakus, which was a tradition where you ate, drank and told stories usually at a celebration, As a guest she knew that saying no was not an option, or she would hear Mother say Druzhba over and over again. Knowing Mother would use Druzhba, or friendship, to get her to drink, because friends don't let friends drink alone, was depressing. Dejected she walked to Mother's house, knowing though this woman talked in riddles at least she would get a good meal.

Walking into the mud room she took off her cape and riding boots and donned Topechki, or house shoes, and followed Mother into the kitchen. By the central fire pit she sat next to Mother. She took a deep breath and enjoyed the aroma of the spices and meats in Solyanka as Mother doled out a large bowl and set the sliced dark rye next to Bryn.

She dug into the best meal she had had in days, while the feast before the battle was nice, nothing could beat home cooking and Mother cooked better than any grandmother could hope for. Seeing the hand painted bowl and spoon, she knew this was not your normal meal. Confirming this was the sight of Mother filling painted cups with images of horses being broken on them she knew from the jug that this was Mother's Samogon, a potent homemade vodka. Mother set the glass next to the bread and sat next to Bryn, She smiled as Bryn ate greedily knowing how much her foster daughter liked her cooking.

Mother sighed and said, "Tell me child when will you make me a grandmother? Have you ever thought of something more than fighting?"

Bryn nearly choked as she heard Mother asking about her love life something she had never cared about before. She stuttered, "M M Mother, I am a servant of Aralam and if he wishes me to bear a child he will take my prowess and leave me just a woman. Until that time I will do his work as he is my husband, you of all people know this; it was you who married us."

Mother smiled at the memory of Bryn becoming the first Paladin of Aralam and to honor that she performed a ceremony. Shaking the memory off, she said, "Child I do remember and I told you this is a symbol of your love for Aralam. I know you love him and he you, but what of the next Paladin of Aralam? Your line could be the founding of the order of Aralam. Did you not think that Aralam might wish that? I can tell from your face that you want to know why I ask and so I will tell you that Povernennya is at hand. A man of legend has come to us and in Aralam's name you have been called to find this man. You will know this man because he will be with flowers from the darkness. You must hurry for the mountain will move soon. I will point you in the right direction but you must find this man and the flowers he travels with."

Downing the cup in one, Bryn shook as the alcohol hit her taste buds and was about to ask the million questions she had when the room began to get blurry and then faded to black. Mother caught her and called out as two men came in and grabbed Bryn. They dragged her to one of the bedrooms, where her armor and four Wild Elf women were waiting. The men dropped her on the bed and left the room as the women began stripping her of her traveling clothes and began donning her armor, their eyes glowed green as they moved robotically.

Outside her room Mother was talking to the men saying, "Make sure they are dressed in their armor. Are the children of the trees ready?"

The oldest looking of the men said, "Mother they are being dressed now. Yes, they are awaiting you word. Are you certain that they all must go? Dobra Koroleva I can understand but why her men? She was chosen, not them."

Mother nodded in agreement before saying, "Part of the reason she is welcomed here is because she cares about those who serve her, she would not leave them behind nor would I want her to. She is going to meet the guardian and he travels with those who are known to hate all on the surface. We know they would die for her so why not give her that comfort? Now put them all on their horses and get the mages."

The old man walked her back into the house and picked up Bryn and carried her to her horse which had been saddled. A Wild Elf mage placed one hand on Bryn's leg and began casting. Once done, Bryn's body glowed green; as her eyes opened they were cold emotionless eyes that looked at the mage awaiting orders while the same spell was cast on the horse. Around the square the same spells were being done to Bryn's men. Mother walked up to Bryn and sent her in the direction of her son Ivan who was living close to where the guardian was. Mother hoped by getting Bryn close she would be able to find him away from the Drow he was traveling with and avoid an unnecessary battle. Plus it would help Ivan do what they had agreed and send his children off as messengers of the coming Povernennya to those who worked away from their lands.

The horses formed up in their usual 4 wide formation and headed out. They were moving exceedingly fast as the dream travel would allow them to cover a week's worth of ground in a single night. The sun hit Bryn's eyes as she was shaken from her dream state to find herself and her men far from the White Forest. She saw a town on the horizon on and headed in that direction. From the lack of sweat on her horse and how fresh she felt she knew Mother had used Dream Travel on them, but where were they? What did her riddle mean? She wanted to speak with Ivan, Mother's true blood son, if anybody understood her it was him. By mid-morning she entered the town and found out she was about a half days ride from Ivan. After talking things over with her men and listening to their thoughts, she told them she needed answers and Ivan had them. Her men agreed as they rode out of town and towards Ivan and answers.

*********************

Belyre two weeks ride south of Henri

The port city of Belyre was the trading hub for all ships headed to the eastern spice routes. The city had a series of canals to control flooding. The opulence of the city could be seen in the rich wooden structures that had masterfully crafted facade pediments of what the business did. The rich use of color gave the city a lively feel to it. The most dominant feature was the Temple of The Gods, with its colored onion domes representing the major religions; it was the largest building in the known world and was still growing. The inside was richly painted with frescoes, adorned with gold and silver borders that separated the frescoes, with wood carvings from the finest wood donned the altars.

In this city of dreams lives a woman making her own dreams a reality. She was standing outside of the Engulfed pub, with its richly decorated pediment of people laughing and drinking, talking with a teamster hauling casks filled with beer and wine. The teamster cracked the reins on the horses and as the wagon moved we can see a tall woman towering over a man dressed very fashionably in his silks and frills. Her position next to him only made her stand out more. Her red hair with blond highlights moved as though her very hair was on fire. A dark blue frilled man's shirt stretched tight trying to hold her ample bosom in place despite her top three buttons being undone. She wore knee high riding boots with simple black leather breeches that showed off her apricot shaped rear. At her side was a cutlass that many knew she wore not for fashion, but because she could use it.

Walking inside with the well-dressed man who kept trying to catch a view of her impressive cleavage and cursing the fact that he wasn't taller, she smiled at his efforts and teased him mercilessly leaning over at every opportunity. After entering the pub she signaled a man in robes who walked over and held out his right hand adorned with a ring that had a chalice in silver surrounded by rubies. This was the symbol of Moteus, god of celebration. She knelt and kissed the ring giving the priest a good look at her assets. The man walked to the back doors that were being open to bring in the new casks. He reached into his robes and took out a wand. After talking with the teamster and the pub's barmaid the priest said the command word and touched the cask as it lifted inches off the others and floated in place,. The teamster climbed on and pushed the cask off the back of the wagon and the barmaid pulled it down so it would fit under the header, they walked the cask to the empty still and set it in place. With thumbs up from both of them he canceled the spell and the tun of wine creaked as it settled into place. This process was repeated as the hogsheads of pilsner were lowered into place followed by ale and mead.

With the unloading finished, the priest said a prayer over each cask and then tapped each one, drinking the first glass before walking over to the excited man and the lovely woman.

He smiled and said, "They all pass our standards for quality and we can brand them when you are ready Lady Firewine." He produced a brand and handed it to the barmaid.

Lady Firewine replied, "Czeslaw is trying to talk me into buying his cognac, I would like you to give me your opinion."

He smiled glad to enjoy another drink as he tasted the cognac he frowned and said, "It needs another year to be any good. This cask should be sealed for one more year."

With that she paid the priest and the barmaid returned his branding iron then he was on his way. Lady Firewine turned and paid for her delivery, before bidding her supplier farewell.

Once he left, she walked over to the barmaid, who just smiled at her saying, "Herjorg, why do you do that to that poor man every time he comes here? You have a wonderful man and yet you tease all the others. If I had your gifts I would not torment men."

Lady Firewine looked around before saying, "Inga, how many times have I told you not to call me by name? It is Firewine now. If you had my figure you wouldn't be working here, you would be popping out children one after another. As for Dima he is fun for now, but as a woman I should always be looking after my station."

Inga slugged her friend as hard as she could in the arm and said in a very angry tone, "You should stay away from the women here. Dima would follow you to the 9th level of hell just to be with you. I know you still have nightmares of what you father did to you, but Dima is not him. Lie to the others all you want but you can't fool me. I know you love him as much as he loves you, so why not settle down and have children? Your past is gone, be the woman you want to be."

Lady Firewine knew she had lost to her best friend and said, "I will, once I own both of the Inns attached to this place. When I do, I will leave you in charge as I will become a happy baby factory."

Inga smiled at the thought of her best friend with children. A small part of her was sad as this brought back the memories of her own husband and child who had died of the pox 5 years ago. Firewine had asked her to come and help her for two reasons. The first reason was to forget about her losses, and the second, because she could trust her. Inga watched as the pub started to fill, she looked back to Lady Firewine and then to Firewine's office, Firewine sighed and went into her office to change into her dress for the evening.

She stepped out in the magnificent blue and black flower print silk dress that Dima had purchased for her. She was all smiles as a regular, a man of at least 60 summers, known by everybody as the local copper, asked her to marry him yet again, as he had every time he came to the pub. She refused and told him smiling that she didn't want him to die from her pleasures. He smiled at this and replied that was how he wanted to go. As he lifted his glass and toasted her beauty she matched his toast, knowing that he would keep trying to woo her, although not seriously. After a few more rounds, she enjoyed the tango of innuendo that her much older suitor played and she matched. He sighed, signaling that she had won this round of verbal chess. Then he put his coins on the table to pay not only for the drinks, but for the fact that she had flirted with a lonely old man making him feel young. Like the other 100 times she put her hand on the coins and pushed them back at him. She never took his money and knew he would be back in a few weeks.

Looking around her pub, she saw two Horsemen of the Ride sitting in the corner near the stairs that lead to the Jade Cloud. This worried her a little, if they were going to get drunk she might have several problems with the two of them. Wanting her patrons to enjoy themselves and knowing a few traditional songs which had worked with other Horsemen she walked up to their table.

With all the bravado she could muster she said in their language, "Brothers, I hope tonight is a festive night?"

They both shot her a cold stare as they listened to her. The younger with his dark hair and eyes of the deepest green said in surprisingly good trade tongue, "I speak your tongue firster, we are not here to party. One of our brothers was thrown from his horse as we rode up on some infernal magic you firsters practice."Lady Firewine had mixed feelings at the news. She was happy as to why they were drinking as she knew just how to handle that, but confused because whatever spooked a horse ridden by these men had to be foul, very powerful, or possibly both.

In her most sorrowful expression she said, knowing how it would be taken, "Then before the minstrels start tonight will you let me offer a prayer to death that he is taken to the great plains to ride and fight for the end of time?"

The older of the two said in broken trade tongue, "Good prayer, or bad you!"

She understood that if her prayer wasn't good they would at the very least trash her pub if not go after her life for insulting the dead. Tradition meant everything to these people and her prayer and song would be as well.

The pub began to fill, much like every night, with guests coming down to the pub for libations, dinner, and entertainment. She sent Inga to fetch Dima and his men as she donned her make up and put her hair up, making it look like her head was on fire. When Dima entered she walked up to him, smiled as he grabbed her and kissed her forcefully, passionately and longingly. She knew right then that she was bedding him again tonight, with kisses like that she was certainly repaying the favor. Filling Dima in on the plan she saw the minstrels enter and ordered them to get her before they began playing.

After setting up and tuning the balalaikas, a tambourine, a flute, an accordion and assorted brass instruments, they came and told her they were ready. Walking to the stage in the back near the service doors she told them to follow her lead on the first two songs.

She stood at the base of the stage and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, it is not often that I sing but tonight I wish to grace you with two songs before I let the professionals take over."

In her deepest voice she began singing in the local language, "A man standing atop a mountain praying to Aralam, asking for freedom for his people." At this moment the heads of every patron, as well as the staff dropped and coins or small gems hit the table and bar top, none dared disobey the prayer. In the corner the older Horseman took his Shashka from his side and set it on the table with his coin purse, the younger one set just his coin purse on the table. "Bowing down very low he heard. Son of my son do not fear me, I won't do you any harm! You don't need to worry. Son of my son do not fear me, I won't do you any harm! You don't have to worry. The man asked for justice for his people. There will be Justice and there will be freedom! Son of my son!" the song began to pick up tempo as she walked over to the table and grabbed the Shashka unsheathing it.

She walked over to a traveler with special marks on her body handed her the sword and nodded. The girl, of maybe 12 summers, ran to the front of the stage and began a display of sword dance called the dance of the dead. It involved broad sweeping strokes changing hands, going behind her back throwing the sword and catching it, all with her eyes closed. The song ended with everybody smiling, their coins and gems set to the side as the little girl walked sword in one hand looking each customer in the eye as she took the coins and gems. When she got to the table she looked at the two men saw their bags placing her loot in one coin purse and stabbing the wood floor with the older man's sword, she kissed him on the forehead and each eye doing the same to the younger man before continuing to collect from the rest of the tables.

With a smile and a nod to the two men she began a song about Fastidious Horses and was joined by the girl whose marks began to glow as she sang the sad song of a man reaching the end of his life. This song was known by another name "The Song of the Dead" and when sung by a soul walker it allowed souls trapped on this plane to cross over to the next. The song ended and the girl's marks faded on her body as she walked back into the corner not meeting anyone's gaze, even though no one did. Soul walkers had the ability to see your soul and know many things about that person. They were only looked upon when the living were not sure the dead had crossed over. This was her plan, she always had a soul walker at her pub, she fed and housed her for just such an occasion and it had paid off. Her patrons were happy, she was happy and though she would never admit it most importantly her lover was happy.