DNA

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Todd was sobbing now, but Jennifer had gotten out of her seat and stood in front of her mother.

"You did all this for money? You destroyed us for money? For money?" Jennifer stepped forward and slapped her mother as hard as she could. Then Jennifer lunged forward even further, knocking Amber to the floor. She was on her mother in a second, slapping and punching her as hard as possible.

I had expected the discussion to be awkward and difficult, but I never expected it to get violent. It took all my strength to pull my one-hundred-pound daughter off her mother. When I had control of Jennifer, I pushed her into the living room and told her to sit on the couch. Then I went back to check on Amber. She was slowly climbing to her feet, but her nose was bloody, and her lip was bleeding.

"I hope you're proud of yourself, Justin," Amber said angrily. "You've really screwed up your kids."

"Don't you even dare blame my dad for this fucking mess, you bitch," Jennifer screamed as she charged back into the kitchen. "If you say one more bad word about daddy, I'll scratch your eyes out."

Amber backed away from her daughter. It was clear that Amber was stunned and a little scared of her daughter.

"Amber, I think it might be best if you find somewhere else to stay for the next few days," I said, trying to sound calm and reasonable. "At least until tempers have a chance to cool off."

Amber was not happy but went off to pack a bag. Before she left, Amber stuck her head back into the kitchen. "It's alright, kids; I still love you."

If looks could have killed, then Jennifer's glare would have dropped her mother right then. Amber was smart enough to know she was pushing her luck and left. It took many hours to get the kids semi-calmed down. Todd was still crying when he went to bed that night, but Jennifer was terrified.

"Daddy," she asked while we were still sitting in the kitchen, "Will you still be our dad? I'd die if I lost you."

"Honey, you'll be eighteen in less than a year," I said. "Then you can decide what you want to do. Technically speaking, I don't think I have any parental rights. But understand one thing - you will always be my daughter, and I will always love you."

Jennifer gave me a brave smile before I kissed her goodnight. Then I went over to Todd's room. He had finally stopped crying, but he looked totally miserable.

Nobody slept very much that night. I lay awake, second-guessing myself, for insisting on the sit down with the kids. But the more I turned it over in my head, I just couldn't see any better way to handle the situation. I suppose I knew the kids would react badly to the news. They both had always been much closer to me than their mother. Jennifer has always been my little princess, and Todd and I shared many interests.

Also, as I lay there, something else was grinding at me. I now realized that all those supposed trips to visit her sisters were just a way so she could hook up with Jimmy.

After my confrontation with Amber, she and Jimmy decided to begin their relationship publicly. Amber didn't think she had done anything wrong. She blamed everyone else for what she had done. It was her grandparent's fault for putting the stupid conditions in the trust. It was her parent's fault for disliking Jimmy so much. And, of course, it was my fault for not being a proper husband. As I heard it, Amber was telling people that I was cold and distant, so she turned to Jimmy. Of course, she never said anything about the kids not being mine. Still, most of our friends looked at her like she had two heads.

After hearing the stories, I got even angrier than when I first found out the truth. I began wracking my brain for some way to get revenge against Amber and Jimmy. I think it's basic human nature, especially for a man, to want to strike back at a cheating spouse and their lover. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I mostly wanted to get revenge against Amber. Jimmy was just a simple working guy. He was good-looking and pleasant, but Jimmy was not the mastermind behind all this.

I was tempted to tell everyone that I wasn't Jennifer and Todd's biological father. But I couldn't do it because of what it might do to my kids. Yes, I considered them my kids, and no matter how things turned out, I would always consider them mine.

As the days passed into weeks, I fell into a deep depression. My whole world had been shattered. The only thing that kept me from totally losing it was my work and the kids. After the disastrous confrontation between Amber and the kids, they stayed with me. They were the only light in my life. As the divorce moved along, Amber was smart enough not to push the issue even though she tried to reconnect with Jennifer and Todd.

After a few calls, Amber stopped trying to contact her daughter. Jennifer was bitter beyond belief about what her mother had done. Their few calls degenerated into screaming matches laced heavily with profanity. On the other hand, Todd talked to his mother, but he was always depressed after one of their short conversations. While Jennifer was not dealing well with her anger toward her mother and Jimmy. Todd, likewise, was not handling our breakup at all well, either. Finally, I decided that all three of us needed to seek professional help.

I set up meetings for all three of us with a family counselor, Mary Chaser. She wanted to meet with the three of us together and individually. The counselor also wanted Amber to attend the sessions. Surprisingly, Amber agreed to come. However, the first meeting of the four of us proved to be a huge mistake. I had to physically restrain Jennifer when Amber made a flip remark that the kids just needed to get over it. Afterward, I told Mary that if she wanted Amber at future sessions, we wouldn't be attending. Mary agreed that it would be wise to exclude Amber at this time.

After that first meeting, a terrifying thought took hold of me. What if the court took the kids away from me and refused me any visitation rights? For weeks, I was haunted by the idea that I might never be able to see them again. My depression deepened. It was so deep that Mary prescribed antidepression medication; it helped a little.

At first, the counseling sessions seemed to do little, but as the weeks passed, I got a little better. While I still wanted to get revenge against Amber and Jimmy, I had to put it aside because Mary said that if I did something stupid, the court would almost certainly cut me off from my children.

The final divorce hearing in court was a mess. The judge was pissed off at Amber after he read the petition. Amber's attorney was a horse's ass, and my attorney seemed more interested in sticking it to his opponent than representing me. But it was Jennifer who delivered one of two telling blows, and the judge delivered the other.

The entire proceeding showed me and everyone else what a selfish, cold bitch Amber was. Even though she had gotten access to her trust, which had grown to almost ten million dollars, she wanted her pound of flesh from me. Amber wanted half the marital assets, the house, alimony, and half of my 401-K.

My attorney explained the deception that Amber had perpetrated on me reasonably well. Then tried to paint me as almost a saintly husband and father. After a few minutes, the judge told him to move on. However, his final appeal on my behalf was well thought out and emotional. He implored the court not to reward Amber's fraud. Then the question of custody was raised. Of course, Amber wanted full custody of the kids with limited visitation rights for me. I'm sure that Amber wanted to give me no rights because she blamed me for the terribly strained relationship with the kids. But I was also sure that her attorney advised her that the court would look dimly on trying to cut me out completely. I, of course, wanted full custody of the kids with liberal visitation rights for Amber. My attorney told me I was dreaming if I thought the court would side with me.

Before the question of custody could be discussed, the judge asked the kids if they would prefer to talk to him privately in chambers. Jennifer jumped up and said loudly, "No, your honor, I prefer to have what I say on the record."

Todd stood up and said basically the same thing.

Jennifer was the first to speak. Even though I could tell she was scared, Jennifer stood at the lectern and glared at her mother. Then she looked at me, smiled, and mouthed, "I love you."

Jennifer looked briefly at her notes and then back at Amber. "I'd like to direct my comments to the future, Mrs. Swanson," Jennifer began, and I saw Amber stiffen slightly. "Even though my birth certificate says you are my mother, I no longer consider you as such. In my mind, my mother is dead. I want nothing to do with you, now or ever. I'll be eighteen next year and legally make my own decisions. You were never there for me as I was growing up, so I won't be there for you in the future.

"That's not true," Amber cried out.

The judge tapped his gavel, "Please, your attorney has already presented your case in this divorce proceedings. We are considering the issue of custody, and I want to hear from the children. Do not interrupt again."

Amber's face was beet red, and I didn't know if it was because she was embarrassed or mad. Anyway, I returned my attention to my daughter, and she continued. "When I was five, I colored a picture for you. I waited all day for you to come home so I could give it to you. However, when I handed you the picture, you patted me on the head and told me I needed to color within the lines. Later I found the picture in the garbage can."

Jennifer's face was getting red, and she was taking deeper breaths. Still, she pressed on. "When I was nine, the carnival came to town. Dad told us we were all going. Todd and I were so pleased that we would all be going together. But you canceled at the last minute. I assume it was to be with your lover. Anyway, dad took us, and we had a great time, but it hurt that you didn't want to spend time with me. When I was twelve, I got my first period. You were away somewhere. You always seemed to find excuses to be away. Dad found me crying with my pants bloody. He hugged me and explained what was happening to my body. Dad comforted me, telling me I shouldn't be scared or embarrassed by what was happening. Then he took me to the drug store to get the necessary supplies I would need. When you came home, and he told you what happened, you came into my room and handed me a box of sanitary napkins and a book about the female body. You told me I would find the answers in the book if I had any questions. Then you left. Dad was more of a mom than you ever were. And those are just a few of the many instances where you ignored me."

Jennifer stopped for a moment wiping a tear off her cheek and glared at her mother again. "What you did to my father was so cold, calculated, and selfish. For you to do what you did to a man who only wanted to love you has cut me to my soul. What you have done to Todd and me is beyond reprehensible. I consider you beneath contempt."

My daughter's gaze shifted to Jimmy, and she lifted some dirt off the podium. "As for you, Mr. Swanson, you may have contributed a speck of sperm to create Todd and me, but I care more for this piece of dirt than I do for you."

Jennifer then spun around and looked at the judge. "If you force me to live with her, I can guarantee there will be violence. So, in an attempt to forestall that, with the help of my grandfather's attorney, I have prepared a petition for emancipation. I want to be legally and completely separated from that woman. I want a divorce from the woman who calls herself my mother."

The judge was surprised by Jennifer's statement but took the petition and put it with his other papers.

Todd was the next to speak, and he was a nervous wreck. He hated public speaking, but he also knew that he had to do it if he wanted his point of view to be heard.

"I'm, I'm, I'm, really nervous," he stammered. "I'm no good at speaking in public. But I have as many stories as Jen does about my mother's neglect, but I don't want to waste anyone's time. I just want to say that I don't want to go to live with that woman and that dickwad." Todd paused, and his cheeks flushed red. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say dickwad, even though that is what I think of him. And I can't even look at that woman without being totally disgusted. I don't want to live with her, I want to stay with the only dad I've ever known. Please don't make me go live with them." Todd pointed to his mother and Jimmy. Then he went and sat down.

I watched Amber and Jimmy during the kid's presentations. Amber's face had turned even redder, and she was shaking. Jimmy, on the other hand, had only shown a slight anger when Todd called him a dickwad. Jimmy was a pretty easy-going guy, but he obviously resented it when Todd talked disparagingly of him. Amber, she was not happy with her children at all, and I'm sure that she was going to blame me. I didn't care as I agreed with everything they had said. Amber had been less than a sterling mother; now, everyone knew why.

When the kids finished, I thought the judge would retire to consider his ruling, but he didn't.

"Usually, I take a few days to weigh both side's arguments before rendering a decision. But this case is so straightforward that there is only one way that I feel I can rule. To begin with, this marriage was entered into for fraudulent purposes. Therefore, I am annulling it. It will be as though there was never a marriage. I don't know what that will do to your trust. I rather suspect nothing will happen because your parents were the only ones with any standing. However, someone might challenge you for the trust, and you will have to defend yourself."

Amber's face went from bright red to pale white in an instant. She seemed to wobble in her chair briefly until Jimmy pulled her to him.

The judge watched Amber for a few seconds and then continued. Since there was no marriage, there are no marital assets as such. You both will take what you brought into your time together except for the house and Mrs. Williams' car. Even though it is clear that Mr. Williams paid for the car, it is titled in her name and will remain hers. The house is in both names, so I'm ruling that the proceeds will be split when the house is sold. In reviewing everything else, it appears that you, Mr. Williams, paid for about ninety percent of everything when you and Mrs. Williams lived together. Therefore, I'm ruling that all investments be split 90/10 unless Mrs. Swanson can provide documentation that she contributed more than ten percent."

I glanced over at Amber and saw a totally pissed-off woman. Obviously, this court hearing was not going as she envisioned it would. As for me, I was pleasantly surprised by what was going on. I had read all the horror stories of the ex-husband getting raped by the courts. But the whole game changed as soon as the judge ruled there never was a marriage and I wasn't Amber's husband.

"Now, as to the question of custody, I understand that Jennifer and Todd are very emotional, so I must weigh that. If this was a traditional divorce, Jennifer would be old enough to choose who she wishes to live with. However, I cannot grant him custody since Mr. Williams isn't the biological father, and I've ruled that the marriage is annulled. However, since she has already filed a petition of emancipation from her mother, I will allow her to live with her grandparents if they are willing to take her. Jennifer will be under their supervision until a ruling is made on the petition for emancipation. In any event, in approximately a year, she can decide where she wants to live by herself."

A quick glance over at Amber surprised me. There was a tear rolling down her cheek. Amber and Jennifer had never gotten along well, especially over the last five years. I just put it down to Jennifer being a rebellious teenager. I likened it to my sister, and my mother always butted heads during her high school years. Now they were like two peas in a pod. But that was never going to be Amber and Jennifer's relationship. Amber's betrayal of our family destroyed any relationship with her daughter, at least for the foreseeable future.

"As to the custody of Todd Williams," the judge said with a grimace, "I understand that he is extremely upset with his mother and would like to live with Mr. Williams. Again, Mr. Williams has no standing in the custody determination. Therefore, I am awarding custody to Mrs. Williams and recommending that she grant liberal visitations to Mr. Williams. However, I can't order you to do so. And since Todd will be living with his mother, I will allow Mrs. Williams to remain in the house. But, outside of your obligation to the bank, Mr. Williams, I can't order you to make the mortgage payments."

The judge looked quickly around the room and said, "Unless there is something else, we stand adjourned."

Todd stood up so fast that he knocked his chair over. Then he stalked from the room, crying. Amber stood up and glared at me as Jennifer came over, giving me a hug.

I kissed Jennifer on the cheek and told her I'd take her and Todd to lunch if Amber permitted Todd to come. Then I talked to my attorney about getting the judges ruling on the house reversed. He didn't think there was any chance of that. So, I would have to put the squeeze on Amber to pay her half, but if she refused, I would make the payments. There was too much equity to lose. Besides, my attorney said that when the house was sold, I could petition the court to be reimbursed for any payments I made on the house over fifty percent.

Once in the hallway, I heard Todd yelling at Amber and Jimmy. I walked up and told Todd to calm down and go wait outside. This he did reluctantly.

Amber turned on me, mad as hell.

"You think you've won," she poked me in the chest, "but I got the house and the love of my life."

As much as I didn't think Amber could hurt me anymore, her rant cut me deep. I wanted to slap her silly and beat the shit out of Jimmy. So, it took all my willpower to keep calm and smile.

"Would it be alright if Todd comes to lunch with Jennifer and me?" I asked pleasantly.

"Fuck you!" she hissed. "No, Todd will not be seeing you today or ever. I don't want you to corrupt him like you did to my daughter."

"If you believe that, then you are the stupidest cunt on this planet," I snapped back. The self-control was slipping.

"Hey, watch your mouth," Jimmy threatened me.

"Jimmy, if you touch me, I will beat the shit out of you, and you know I can do it. I strongly suggest you back off."

Jimmy saw the look in my eyes and decided not to push me. When I was sure he wouldn't be a problem, I turned back to my "never was wife." I decided to go on the attack.

"Amber, you are undoubtedly one of the most selfish people in the world. Let me clue you in on a few things. First of all, you do not have a golden pussy. Sex with you was pretty crappy, but then you got all you wanted from your fuck toy. Also, if I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would do it again if I could be assured of having the same kids. It has always been about the kids with me. I was stuck with you because it was a package deal, but I love them more than anything. So, fuck you! I hope you have a horrible, misery-laden life."

When I finished, I was out of steam, so I had to get out of there before I lost control completely. I turned and headed out the door. I could hear Amber calling me a pathetic loser. She was ranting that I wasn't half the man Jimmy was, and sex with me was nauseating for her.

Todd did not take it very well when I told him his mother said no to having lunch with us. I told him I was sorry, but the courts had tied my hands. He started to cry and begged me to take him with me. Until then, I didn't think I could feel any worse; I was wrong. I hugged him and told him he had to go with his mother, but I wouldn't stop until I could get him back.