Doomed Dynasty Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please, I like people to say what they think. You are correct I painted that picture for a friend, now dead. It's her mother watching her riding when she was in her early twenties. The mother is dead now and the daughter didn't want the painting so returned it to me.

"I like the concept of the painting coming back to you," Harry said.

"What a lovely thing to say, Harry, Courtney said, leaving the room to wipe her eyes. She returned later and took Harry through to show him her studio. He was most impressed and Courtney told him about her commissions.

"Harry? So he's Harry now is he?" inquired Reece, when he and Courtney were having a pre-dinner drink and the 'H' word just slipped out.

"I suppose marriage is no longer out of the question?" he asked, deciding to push his luck. He'd had a great day.

"Don't be tiresome," replied Courtney, eyes closed, listing to a beautiful passage in a Mozart concerto.

Deciding to bring Courtney back to life, he announced: "There was a special general meeting of the Town & Country Club last night. The members decided almost unanimously to sell their building for redevelopment and move into the old cheese factory when it is upgraded to the club's specifications.

"That's interesting, the clubroom had a Third World look about them. Do you know who the buyer is?

"If you'd open your eyes you'd be looking at him."

"Oh Reece," yelped Courtney, eyes wide open and showing signs of fear. "That would be an awful lot of money to outlay. If it fails you'd be ruined."

"Don't fret mother. Your little boy will do just fine," called Reece from the kitchen.

He returned with a bottle of Moet and two flutes.

"I'm chairing the regional art society's annual meeting in the morning."

"You'll be fine, go to bed with a cold compress on your head after taking two aspirin."

"You really know how to excite a lady."

"That's great news, so spread the word around, please."

"When are you going to get married again Reece?"

"Dunno, I guess I will be told before the event. I see the mare next door has foaled."

He didn't tell his mother that Cilla was settling her affairs in Australia and would be coming back to live with him.

Cilla phoned him a couple of days later. They chatted and Reece said, "Are you really happy about opening your legs for me?"

"Yes and I mean that. You are my best fuck ever."

That left Reece wondering in what way did he excel and why she still clinging to her anal virginity.

"When are you arriving here?"

"Next Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to being with you again."

"Do you want to sleep with me?"

"Of course."

"Good, I'll see what I can arrange. Will call you next Tuesday."

Courtney had no objection about Cilla coming to live with them. Reece's suggestion he and Cilla move into the guests' wing was also approved and Courtney felt better about it all when Reece said he intended to ask Cilla to marry him as soon as his divorce was finalized.

CHAPTER 18

Mr Richard House, MP, opened the Miranda Valley District Town and Country Club's new premises at a gala event.

The club was the community activity of the moment, with a pre-opening membership drive increasing membership numbers by 202%.

Official guests, who included Reece and his partner Cilla and his mother, where taken from the Town Hall to the old cheese factory, now renamed as the Miranda Sports and Recreation Centre, in vintage vehicles.

Older residents gave a special cheer for Reece and his mother, driven in Matt's old Overland jeep by Cilla.

The club's board had baulked at committing itself to a second relocation at the proposed seaside resort, preferring instead to taking a 12-year lease at the sports and recreation centre, with first rights to a 12-year extension.

Reece had expected such indecision, but was not worried. He knew with absolute confidence he could convince the club that it was a perfect match for the resort developed which had just won consent approval for stage two development.

During the official speeches the club president Ian Briggs spoke about how he had become aware of the need to rejuvenate the club and had eventually found Reece Curtis, who supported his development ideas.

"That's a lie, that's a preposterous lie," Courtney was whispering to Reece.

"Let it be, it doesn't matter," urged Reece, gripping Courtney firmly to prevent her from rising to her feet and challenging the lying president.

Vice-president Irene Harris was aware of Ian's indiscretions but turned a blind eye and refreshed her perfume. For years she'd been under Ian's shadow and hoped that at last, on this night, he'd blow into her ear and whisper words she wanted to hear. She knew that Ian's wife was that night at the Tux Dog Show in Upper Hutt.

Later when guests were crowded into the member's lounge and two adjoining committee rooms imbibing unrestrained, Reece took Courtney and Cilla on a tour.

They admired the facilities and workmanship and Courtney astutely observed, "You know Reece, these are marvellous facilities but floral arrangement are very sparse. Nowhere did I see a room dedicated for the preparation of floral arrangements. They have all the bars with neon lighting and computerised fitness machines that boggle the mind but nowhere is there a space for the preparation of floral arrangements. That is unacceptable."

Reece pacified her by saying that he would place a note of that dreadful omission in the member's suggestion box.

Courtney's reaction was simply to say, "My glass is empty Reece."

With that success under his belt Reece then made a grave mistake. To get the resort project underway he acted as guarantor to the tune of $2 million to the developer who assured him he had finance in place. Phil Crown had taken his mother Alice to Fiji for a fortnight and Reece signed the document as guarantor at the developer's bank without seeking legal advice from one of Phil's partners. He was unaware that the developer was on a downward spiral and would be using the loan to pay off debts while keeping a couple of earth moving machines operating on site to give the impression the stalled development was underway again.

Reece had triggered Cilla's sexuality to reach new heights. The poor woman could barely walk when she set off to work each week day at the hotel but she was very happy and very much in love. She'd decided Reece did not seem quite so keen as she was and went off the pill, hoping to become pregnant to him. That didn't happen until four months later when they went on a three-week camping Safari in the Otago-Southland region when Cilla later found she was pregnant.

Returning home Reece had people lining up to inspect the hotel and study the accounts but so far no offers had come in. Then to his horror two policemen visited him making inquiries about the whereabouts of Tony Wolf. It soon transpired the developer had skipped the country with the bank's money. As soon as they left Reece went running to see Phil Crown who looked at the document Reece handed him. He read it and Reece watched Phil's hands shaking and Phil hunched over the document.

"You will be required to come up with $2 million cash and perhaps pronto," Phil croaked.

Next day Reece was called to the bank and took Phil with him. It was agreed that Reece would sign over the hotel to the bank to dispose of. It had a registered value of $3.1 million and any surplus above the $2 million debt of the guarantee plus legal fees and sale costs would be returned to Reece. Phil drafted the agreement with the bank's lawyer to provide safeguards for Reece should the bank recover all or any of its guaranteed loan from the developer. There was a legal process to be followed.

As they walked down to the hotel from that fateful meeting at the bank, Phil said to Reece, "Pal the bank will try to quit that hotel for $2.2 million tops."

"That's my hotel gone into thin air."

"Yes Reece, a fatal rush of blood to the head made you sign away that fortune, didn't it?"

In 1991 that was a huge amount of money for anyone on a small town in New Zealand.

Patricia, unaware of Reece's financial disaster, suffered a stroke that afternoon and died a fortnight later.

A big crowded turned out for Patricia funeral and The Bugle devoted a full page to the Mrs Patricia Curtis's obituary and her illustrious family. The presentation featured a portrait of Patricia painted by her daughter-in-law, the highly successful artist Courtney Curtis.

Because of Patricia's steady decline in health following what appeared to have knowingly been her 'last visit' to friends in Christchurch, Courtney had time to prepare herself for the inevitable and took the passing almost in full stride.

These were bad times for the Curtis's.

In despair Reece began drinking beer with martini's chasers once adjusting to this increased drinking tempo felt better and returned to smiling again.

He smiled even more when Rhone arrived home on a month's holiday. She teamed up with Reece again, against her parent's wishes. Rhone rarely drank but with Reece drinking whenever she was with him she found a new likening for martinis and often returned home drunk. On the first night binge, when she sunk eight martinis, she gave Reece unbelievably great fellatio and even claimed her mother had taught her the skill. They continued on to have good sex and then she invited him to take her anally, something Reece had not had since breaking up with Chase.

Three nights later she stayed all night with Reece at a motel and later when they were at a café that opened for breakfast her furious father found them and ordered Rhone outside and shouted at her. Reece was concerned to see Rhone in tears.

Tony pushed Rhone in his SUV and came back and threatened Reece.

"Come near my daughter again and I'll kill you."

"Yeah, yeah," Reece said, believing he could easily knock down the older man.

"You bastard. You have been giving her drugs."

"That's bullshit."

"Is it? Remember my warning."

An article in that morning's newspaper reported developer Tony Wolf was being investigated by the police, The developer had absconded with a considerable amount of finance on loan from his bank. It was understood a prominent local businessman had stood behind the developer as guarantor and was liable to pay a huge amount of money in default to the bank.

Bank manager Archie Hampton contact the bank's CEO's office in Wellington to withdraw his suggestion that Reece Curtis be considered for appointment as a director of the bank and began an immediate study of the bank's loans to Reece and the security held against each loan. It might be prudent to call in some of the loans or ask for greater security.

* * *

The continuing change in Reece's behaviour shocked Courtney and disclosure about the loss of the hotel left her at an emotional low, falling into bouts of depression. She found Harry of great assistance to her and they both became aware something was happening between them.

Courtney made a phone call to lawyer Phil Crown

"Good morning, Philip... I need to see you in confidence, 2:00 this afternoon would suit me nicely."

Phil looked at his appointment schedule. Every slot until almost 7:00 was taken. Courtney was not even one of his clients. However, she was Reece's mother.

"Two o'clock is fine, Mrs Curtis. I'll have coffee ready for you.

"Tea, Twinings tea?"

"Not a problem Mrs Curtis."

Matt called in his PA. "Lucy, please push back my appointments from 2:00 by thirty minutes. And do we have Twinings tea?"

Lucy said no, but she'd dash across the street to the deli and get some.

After lunch Phil sat twiddling his thumbs above his clenched fists. Courtney sipped her tea. She'd asked Phil to do something highly improper, to divulge personal information about a client, her son Reece.

"I'm really sorry Mrs Curtis. But I simply cannot do such a thing, it's highly unethical."

Patricia calmly took another sip of tea, then said, "I could engaged a private investigator and find out but I would prefer to keep this inquiry just between you and me."

"Well, engage a private investigator if you must, Mrs Curtis."

"I already have." Reaching into her handbag she pulled out a photograph and handed it across the desk.

Picking it up, Phil went white.

"Ruby looks a lovely lady, happily married I understand. The elder girl in the photo looks quite a lot like you, named Julia. She's your daughter, isn't she?"

Heart pounding, Phil asked in an anxious whisper, "Have you told anyone about this?"

Expressionless, Courtney shook her head, and Phil felt immense relief. He walked to his filing cabinet, knowing that his defences had shattered.

Less than ten minutes later Courtney had left the office with the information she'd wanted. Phil had escorted her to the door, still trembling a little. Courtney gave him a motherly hug and told him that each year on the eve of young Julia's birthday he should review his decision not to reveal the existence of his illegitimate daughter to his wife. Hugging him even tighter, she confirmed that his secret was safe with her.

Phil's documents revealed that Reece was mortgaged up to the hilt on his commercial investments and had been in the process of selling the hotel to ease the burden. Courtney was relieved to find that no mortgage had been placed on Strathmore or increased on the farm.

"I suspect it will only be a matter of time before that happens," Phil had commented as Courtney handed back the file. "Gambling addiction is an awful disease. He requires specialist help."

"When I became aware he had this problem, or disease as I would call it, I tried numerous times to get him to go to specialist help but he refused, saying he had everything under control. But we know that isn't true."

"What a mess," sighed Phil.

Phil stood at his office window watching Patricia walk across the street, without any feeling of malice towards her, He had no idea how her detective had managed to find out about Ruby and her pregnancy that produced a child she named Julia. He was absolutely certain Reece would not have said anything. The detective must have dug deep in Christchurch and found some of Ruby's old friends.

Returning home Courtney sat on the terrace in the twilight in despair, now on to her third gin. Harry was doing the dishes. She began talking aloud. "My son is a disgrace to his mother, his recently departed grandmother and all the Curtis men who have gone before him. I'll fight him tooth and nail if he threatens the security of the farm or this homestead."

Nine days later Phil Crown phoned and asked Courtney to meet him in Riverside Park. They sat in the same park bench where Matt and Vikki had sat shortly after they'd reconnected all those years ago.

"The hotel has sold for a million dollars under value with nothing coming back to Reece," Phil said sadly. "He's instructed me to mortgage your home and increase the mortgage on the farm. Reece's is in deep trouble Mrs Curtis."

"Thank you, Philip. Please leave, I need to be alone."

Phil walked away feeling helpless. She looked so alone. He'd tried to advise Reece to seek medical help for his gambling addiction, but Reece had snarled at him that his luck was about to turn and that Phil should keep to his role of giving legal advice.

A month later Reece married Cilla at The Palms, with a celebrant officiating. Only thirty-two people attended, members of both families and their closest friends.

Cilla was greatly excited and looked lovely. Reece was sombre and looked very unwell.

The only good thing about the wedding for Courtney came during the speeches when Cilla announced she was pregnant.

"Reece and I have a very productive camping holiday through the lower South Island," she smiled and everyone laughed.

"Yes, we aim to have thirty kids," Reece laughed and everyone roared in laughter at the look on Cilla's face. Her relatives apart from Phil the best man left soon after the speeches finished.

A month later Courtney and Harry married at even a smaller wedding. Both couples had decided to share the house, Cilla and Reece living in Patricia's apartment. Courtney had earlier convinced Reece not to mortgage the house and she made an offer that Reece was unable to refuse, that she would pay for the total upkeep of the property and all outgoings in return for Reece signing over the house to her. He did that gladly as it was one less property to care about.

He'd sold down properties to meet commitments to the wine operation and was financially stable again and even paid long overdue bills from his pal Phil.

The new few months of 1993 went along without much drama and at the opening of the Courtney Curtis Hospice Wing at the retirement village Reece helped his mother cut the ribbon at the opening and then he presented a cheque for $20,000 to go towards operating costs of the new facility.

Courtney was very pleased about that and touring the facility with dignitaries she thought while she was only fifty-three she expected to end up in the retirement village one day and then be shifted into the hospice wing. Those things happen.

At home there was stability again. Harry and Reece got along very well and she and Cilla were very friendly. Courtney had her fingers crossed the baby would be a son.

Then as Cilla's pregnancy lengthen, she began to reject Reece's sexual advances and he made it quite plain he didn't like that at all.

Then Rhone Tancred reappeared and Reece simply left home and moved into an apartment in town with her. They kept to themselves, so much so that Reece was not around with the baby was born. They had gone to the Bay of Islands for a week, although Reece had known his wife was due to give birth any time soon.

Courtney called him with the news.

"What was it?"

"A girl. Oh I'm so disappointed Reece."

"Well who cares. I supposed I should come home."

"Do what you wish," Courtney said, cutting the call. God he was impossible. Well she wanted him home and to start trying for another baby as soon as Cilla was ready.

Reece returned home and visited mother and baby and decided with Cilla to call the baby Isobel. He brought mother and baby home next day but that night went back to sleep with Rhone.

The next evening, shortly after 8.45, Rhone returned to the apartment from being at the video shop and the fish and chip shop to find Reece William Curtis lying on the floor, dead. He had been shot once, between the eyes. High on the white painted wall written in his blood were scrawled the words, 'Non-payment means death'.

* * *

Rhone was exonerated by the police investigation. She was recorded by security camera entering the video store at the time a couple in the apartment next to where they were living heard what they thought was a car back firing just as the 8.30 film on SkyTV commenced.

The news media swarmed into Miranda to cover the mysterious death that quickly began to be called 'A gangland slaying' but police insisted that there was no evidence of that other and the macabre message scrawled on the wall. An 'unidentified source' was quoted in one newspaper as saying it was more likely to be a personal vendetta. The detective inspector in charge of the case said the murderer could have scrawled that message on to the wall to try to cover his or her tracks.

For four days there was a great deal of ferreting by the police and by the media, with little to show for it. Rhone's father had been interviewed extensively as a possible suspect as the police had found he'd been unhappy about his daughter's association with a married man. But Tony cooperated fully and no new lead eventuated.

But the Sunday Tribune front page splash shattered the 'steady as she goes' police investigation and embarrassed the media corps involved as being accused of 'simply feeding their readers crumbs of little interest received at the twice daily media conferences chaired by the senior policeman heading the investigation plus backgrounding the life of Reece Curtis and the relationship between the Curtis and Tancred families'.