Dr. Watson's Secret Files

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Some vague fear, mixed with awe rose up in me. I had the feeling that the plan would be something big, something that would change the path of history. It was to be a war, apparently to be the mother of all wars. Holmes opposition to the plan had been dealt with swiftly, crushingly and without any fuss. Holmes had been setup to fall to the most basic instinct of humankind and the Professor had felled him from the grave. So elegant, so terrible and so deadly. One got the message: there is no such thing as getting away from Moriarty without paying the price.

Holmes finally stopped staring vacantly, and picked up the letter. He unfolded it and began to read. Once he had finished he handed it to me.

It was from Irene.

Dear Holmes,

I must say I had the most satisfying evening with you. I've never been 'loved' so well. Professor Moriarty once told me that to a woman of calibre, the sexual pleasure obtained is directly proportional to the man's intellect. You are the second most intelligent man I've met, Holmes, and I now regret the most intelligent man was a homosexual.

By now, you know that I have defeated you again. I'm sorry, Holmes, but the professor is just too smart for you. He wanted to leave behind a legacy and he wasn't satisfied with his brilliant scientific papers. His twisted genius concluded that people remember better the impact of wars than any other human incident. He also realized that the political situation in Europe required a mere spark to start a conflagration. Therefore, in his last days, he devoted his attention to establishing networks that could influence politics and keep Europe on the boil. He focussed on Germany in particular. He also realised that England was the only country capable of stopping him. His networks here focussed on disinformation among the political elite. A week before his death, he realised that two potential spoilsports to his Grand Plan still existed. That was you and your brother, Mycroft.

His pain of love was too much for him to carry on living and see his Grand Plan succeed. Therefore, he setup time traps to prevent you both. For you, he planned a direct encounter at the Falls ("The Final Problem") in which he knew he had little chance of succeeding. His backup plan was I and another person close to you.

For Mycroft, he setup Helen Stoner and Dr. Grimesby Roylott ("The Speckled Band"). Holmes, Dr. Roylott's death was faked. He was an agent of Moriarty too and Ms. Stoner seduced your brother at the same time I was seducing you. He held back the two men who could stop his great plan with the greatest leash in human arsenal, carnal desire. He recognised that nothing consumes a bachelor as much as a prospect of sexual intercourse. His calculations indicated that the probabilities of other methods, including death, stopping you both were nil.

Gavrilo Princip was the spark to set Europe alight, Holmes, and he had to come to England to receive his final instructions. It had to be done face to face and it was handled by Dr.Roylott. While he was on British soil, I knew he was always in danger of being 'sniffed' by you. Sure enough, you did. I setup our encounter on the day he was to leave and that was two days ago. I knew you could think of nothing else but my letter. While he was doing his historic deed, I was celebrating with you.

I hope Dr. Watson enjoyed as much as you did. While the reason for our encounter was fake, the experience was genuine and I'm only sorry that our relationship can't last.

With Love,

Irene Adler.

Holmes face was red. I was marvelling at the brilliance of the plan. So subtle and so effective. Holmes would never recover from this blow. He was soundly beaten by Irene a second time and by extension, he had been handed a soul-shattering defeat by Dr. Moriarty. At the same time, I was worried that he would deduct 'the person close to him'. There were just too many clues in that letter.

I need not have worried. Holmes powers were nowhere in evidence. They had disappeared. He was a changed man. When he looked up, his eyes were glazed. His voice trembled as he spoke.

"Watson, please take this letter to Lestrade. Tell him use this to stop the madness."

"But Holmes, you could do it yourself?"

"No Watson. I cannot face England anymore. I let my country down. I'm going to Tibet where I will attempt to find peace. I fear it will take the rest of my life. Please deliver it to Lestrade, Doctor."

I nodded. I was only too glad to take the letter. It must never see the light of the day. I decided that I had better leave England and make myself safe in Germany. Remembering that the ferry to Calais left in three hours, I hurried.

At the doorstep, Holmes called out. "Thank you Watson, you have been a true friend. Goodbye."

That was the Professor's last stroke.