Dracula the Imperishable Ch. 06

Story Info
Desponia meets Zeus, Lamia attacks.
3.5k words
5
791
1
0

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/05/2023
Created 07/05/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ZORBA3150
ZORBA3150
29 Followers

Chapter VI

Lamia Attacks

Early summer's light splashed through the forest awning. Larval broods squirmed, and creature lairs came to life. Gnats tortured Lamina's eye, drowning in its goo, and floating to its edges. She wiped them away and continued her watch. Paying close attention to the guard towers. She watched the bowman at the parapets. And the workers, standing in the shade of Dracula's fortress--and the approach of a leper.

She would not war in open fields for her hatred of man's armies. Man with his torches and dogs, deadfalls, and spear pits. Hannibal's phalanx once cornered her in a canyon. His archers shot a thousand arrows as she climbed a cliff to freedom. My attack is by ambush, though I am fit for battle.

Her tail, a slicing decapitator at its tip, had a cluster of glands that spat a ruinous venom. Her arms were long and heavily muscled. At the ends hung her talons. She towered over men, twice their height, and equaled an ox in weight. She walked on two legs but was gazelle-like. Her tongue flicked, a sniffer for tracking the scent of infant flesh or a drop of colostrum. Her breath brought cyanotic death to her victims. She tore off the swaddle and gobbled the meat with her mouth of daggers. Her odor was unspeakable, and her blindness incomplete. A cyclopean orifice could accommodate but would not preserve an eye snatched from an animal or borrowed from a witch.

The art of Hera's cruelty had climaxed in Lamia's design. Most godless was the savagery of Lamia's heart.

She'd tracked Desponia for a century. But now, the Stygian witches lay rotting in the sun at the underworld's entrance. She need not think of returning the eye. Zeus will seek revenge for the witches. My days are numbered, but my revenge is at hand.

***

Meanwhile, in Maria's workshop, Luminita scurried behind a curtain. She peered out from behind as Desponia called for Ehrlich to enter.

"Pardon, Ma'am, I have trunks for the journey."

"Bring them, Ehrlich."

"Yes, you strange man, bring them," Luminita called out.

Desponia caught Luminita's arm and dragged her out.

"Oh, my arm!" Luminita cried.

Ehrlich rolled his eyes to the ceiling and tossed his hands up.

"Apologize, Luminita!"

"I want no apology from this scallywag," Ehrlich said.

"I'm sorry," Luminita said in a tiny voice.

The severity of Ehrlich's expression softened. He shuffled his feet, rolled his hat into a cylinder, and lowered his eyes.

"Ehrlich? I am."

"No need, Miss; you've done me no injury. I am an ugly man. There is no doubt."

"Oh! But you're nothing of the sort," Luminita cried, embracing Ehrlich.

"Careful of your effect," Desponia said. "He is a man. Ehrlich, arrange transportation for my seamstress and her assistants. To Medias, I should think."

"If dropped at the Plow and Stars, we could join our husbands," Maria said.

"Yes, see to packing the trucks first."

Desponia turned again to Ehrlich, "Who counts the village workers?"

"I left Small Alex to the job."

"The stable hand? I doubt I like it. He's no man for security. Relieve him at once. Have him come for these trunks in half an hour and recount the workers. I'll be away for part of today. I'll not tolerate lapses--double the guard. Keep the bridge up. See to it that every entry has a guard. Pick a patrol to walk the castle's perimeter at the top of each hour. Enter and leave only through the north wall door."

Ehrlich hurried back to the yard, giving fast orders to reassemble the workers. Meanwhile, infiltrators had made the castle's interiors after a leper created a distraction among the workers.

"A coin for the afflicted," he begged, holding a dissembling hand.

The workers shrank back as he passed. "Ah," said the leper, hesitating before a pregnant woman and reaching.

"For the health of your child, give me a coin."

"Be gone with your sickness," she said, throwing a coin at the leper's feet.

The infiltrators, both wearing cowls fell in with the workers; they were Luminita's husband and his partner and easily passed Small Alex, a shepherd and a dreamer and careless about his duties. As the workers passed the checkpoint, the infiltrators found hiding places in the stable's hayloft while the leper slipped into the wood.

***

All this while Dracula slept, sinking deeper into his infernal dream.

Once a modern man, Vlad had chosen logic over superstitions and reason over religious fanaticism.

While at university in Siena, he befriended a young Egyptian student. Ammon told fantastical stories; enormous treasures that existed in tombs forgotten to time. The Valley of the Kings. He talked of a map, passed down through generations, of how it came to his grandfather, Habib. Habib destroyed it for fear of a pharaoh's curse. But he could not unknow the details of the map. It haunted his dreams and guided his subconscious. It occupied his waking mind as well. One day, to rid himself of the obsession, he redrew the map from memory. He placed it in a velvet-lined box that he hid in a limestone cavern he'd discovered while herding goats. But the fascination would not end. He visited the hiding place. And he experienced states of rapture as he held his lamp aloft and imagined ingots of gold.

As an old man, Habib revealed the map's location to Ammon's father. Omar thought it fanciful but retrieved the map nonetheless. The stories excited Dracula to distraction. Imaginings of the described treasures would not leave his mind. Ammon assured Dracula that he could guide an expedition. Dracula devised a plan, promising Ammon a share in whatever treasure gained. Dracula believed he would distinguish himself as an experienced explorer, contradicting the notion that supernatural powers were at work in the world. Curses are for the dammed!

And then came the cost of his folly. Ramses' tomb awaited, as did Dracula's eternal wretchedness. He'd maneuvered the sides of a pit, then crept into the smoldering crucible. He entered the corridor. There he found the Litany of Re and the Book of the Gates, only shadow murals in the dying light of his lantern. Fear tested his courage, but he pushed on with Ammon. And then a hand fell on his shoulder, and he lifted his lantern to Ammon's startled face.

"We must leave this place, brother," Ammon said, already taking backward steps.

But Dracula pushed on toward the antechamber and infinitude. An unnatural thirst grew upon him such that, in time, he would rise to slaughter all who opposed him and dip his bread in the blood of his enemies, Ottoman and Saxon alike, all the while walking the battlefield in search of his lost humanity.

***

"Am I pretty?"

"Walk the length," Desponia instructed.

Luminita went to-and-fro, swinging her hips and tossing her hair.

Maria's assistants, Claudia and Patience, exchanged smiles.

"Her feet have dust from the yard," Claudia whispered.

"Hush," Patience said.

"This is my finest work," Maria said.

With its lace lining and flexible hosen, the jumpsuit conformed to Luminita's movements. It caressed and clung to her figure. The seamstress exchanged more glances and smiles as Luminita continued to flaunt.

"It's a fine job; I am pleased," Desponia said.

"Why, she's every inch an hourglass," returned Maria.

Desponia went to a window and called out to a boy in the yard, "You there, fetch Ehrlich and bring him to this window."

When Ehrlich arrived, Desponia spoke to him in hushed tones.

"Ehrlich, there are three purses of coins under my mattress for the seamstresses. Collect them and hand them to the ladies as they board the carriage for Medias. The most oversized purse goes to Maria."

Ehrlich understood her meaning. Pilfering within the castle walls was a recent problem.

Moments afterward, Small Alex arrived and collected Desponia's trunks.

"And now for a hearty breakfast!" Luminita said, jumping up and clapping her hands.

"Yes," Desponia said.

During breakfast, Luminita asked many questions.

"Where are the Gods?"

"They're everywhere," Desponia answered.

"I've heard they don't exist,"

"There are many things you do not yet understand. The Gods planted the earth."

"Why?"

"Existence on Olympus is contemplative, Luminita. Contemplations are the seeds of restlessness. To stem their boredom, the Gods planted the earth. We call it the garden of mortality."

Luminita knitted her brow.

"What of the people?"

"We brought them forth from seeds, Luminita."

"What of Olympus?"

"It's a thousand galaxies away."

"Then what of the Christian God?"

"I shouldn't speak of him except that he is one among our number. The one most powerful and angry."

" Zeus must hold sway over the Christian god."

"They share a mother and the universe."

Small Alex returned to the yard with the trunks on a cart. Ehrlich told Thomas to secure them in the wagons and tie them. Thomas fell to task while Ehrlich continued preparations for the seamstress's departure.

With the carriage rolled out. Ehrlich inspected the riggings. Satisfied with the work, he sent Small Alex for the ladies. He called Thomas, the coach's driver.

Desponia and her gypsy returned to their chambers.

As the seamstresses arrived in the courtyard, Ehrlich stepped too. He assisted them aboard the carriage while Thomas leaped into the driver's box and got hold of the reins. The bridge came down. Ehrlich handed out the purses, and Thomas started his team with a sharp whistle.

At the same time, Desponia gave her gypsy instructions for the coming day.

"I have business outside the castle today. Stay inside. Take your meals in the kitchen. Do not go to the yard."

With that, Desponia went to the stables where she saddled her stallion."

She leaped astride the animal, then cantered into the yard. The stallion reared and then galloped across the bridge. She turned left and rode towards the sun. At a mile, she jumped from her mount and summoned her chariot. She took the reins and steered through the clouds. She hurtled through the limitless expanse. distancing photons that floundered in her wake of iridescent nucleons. A trillion spiraling galaxies flew by as she cracked her whip. The mares of Diomedes plunged headlong into the fourth dimension. The skies of Olympus rose. She circled overhead, looking down on a sea of jade architecture. A flattened halo called the Guff surrounded the city. It was the storage of souls with which to populate the earth. Mars intercepted Desponia on his war chariot.

"Hold, Desponia. What business do you have?"

"I would speak with Zeus."

"It's not allowed."

"Hera cheats. Lamia slaughtered the Stygian witches and took the eye for her own. Zeus disallowed that she would have the eye for better than a week in a year. Now she is with it. The advantage is hers. How many times have we warred together, Mars? Get me an audience!"

"Hera will not leave his side."

"I care not what the conniving whore does."

"Wait, in the Guff, and I will return with Zeus's decision."

"Ho! I do not think so. Better to follow your lead and wait outside the temple.

"Be on your guard."

"Lead the way."

They swept out of the sky, down to the deserted Olympian Streets. Desponia jumped to the platforms and climbed steps to pillars and the entrance of Zeus's temple. She waited. Mars sought Zeus's permission. Desponia inhaled the Olympian air and pressed her thoughts, greeting the other Gods. Most of whom had poured into the Olympian coliseum for the festivals of atonement. Zeus granted her an audience, and Mars led Desponia to the gem-green throne room. Zeus rose, and Desponia bowed to him. Hera's regarded her with disdain. She remained seated with all her contempt for the Goddess of Mysteries.

Desponia said, "I accepted the council's decision. I am well punished with a thousand-year exile. So be it. I've admitted the transgressions for which I am guilty. I make no case for myself. But Hera takes it beyond the council's sentence."

"You flew to the side of a vampire, opposed me in war!" Hera shouted, jumping up from her throne.

"You murdered my sister's children. Then turned her love to its measure in hatred. You stole her sanity and made her a gorgon."

"Tell it to Zeus," Hera said slyly. "He sired the brood. About Lamia, she's much improved. The same as the oracles told me your gypsy does, I will do as I please."

"Lamia has slaughtered the Stygian witches and stolen the eye. She violated the council's judgments."

"I know nothing of these things," Hera said.

"Show the proof!" Zeus shouted.

"You need only consult the oracle."

"Now, who seeks to violate council law?" asked Hera, tapping her nails on the cold jade arm of her throne.

***

Meanwhile, Luminita's husband and the stranger slipped from their hiding places. They brushed the hay from their clothing. Each inspected the other's appearance. They walked into the courtyard and approached a gate soldier.

"Good day to you, sir. You strike a fine figure and are surely the brass hat in residence. I'd have a word. Your supplies are guaranteed," said the husband while presenting the guard with a document."

"For whatever that means, I am no brass hat. Nor do I read."

"Well, somebody must crack the whip about here. I've no time to waste on the likes of you then, and neither does my associate."

"If you'd like a dose of Ehrlich, you've stumbled upon good luck. He leads a horse this way as we speak."

"Good day to you, Ehrlich," shouted the husband. "At last, I've found you. We've been three times over the grounds and must only have missed you by a hair's margin."

"What is your business?" Ehrlich asked, glancing at the drawbridge and seeing it not yet raised. "How did you gain entrance? I've seen you someplace; remind me of it."

"I am only a merchant's assistant but a man on the rise, mind you. I have a bill that only wants a signature for delivered products."

The husband held a sheet up for Ehrlich's perusal.

"A signature for what?" Ehrlich asked. "You show me flour prices and nothing better. Our flour comes from tomorrow's market."

"Alas, but the supply is small, diminished. There's no telling what there is by tomorrow. Your signature only guarantees..."

"I'll take my chances at the market," Ehrlich said. "Remind me how you gained entrance."

"Why came with the workers. I'll not stay if my business holds no interest for you."

Just as Ehrlich spoke, Luminita wandered out of the great hall, twirling her hair on a finger. She started down the steps. The stranger rushed forward. Grasping Ehrlich by his vest to submit him as the husband leaped atop the horse and bore down on Luminita. He kicked her into the dirt, then jumped down to drag her up. Ehrlich bulled his assailant into a stable wall. He brought down a clubbing blow that drove the stranger to the ground. Ehrlich stepped around to see the husband dragging Luminita atop the horse. He charged across the open bridge. Ehrlich bolted for the stables. He grabbed Dracula's thoroughbred and leaped upon him bareback, galloping in pursuit. The husband had made the forest and was out of sight beyond bends in the road. Ehrlich kept the pace, uncertain of his chances. He turned a bend and saw the husband ahead, a quarter-mile distant. But Dracula's thoroughbred was unshod and losing speed. At the same time, a thing unseeable blew by Ehrlich. Onyx pulled the husband's hose down, sending the husband and Luminita tumbling. Bruised and frightened, Luminita jumped to her feet. She stumbled for Ehrlich, who pulled up and leaped from Dracula's stallion. Luminita threw herself at his feet, clutching his legs. Ehrlich squared his jaw, but there was a mist in his eyes. "You're safe now," he lifted her and set her on her feet. And then Onyx materialized, holding the husband aloft in his jaws.

"I love you, Luminita. I live only for your smile," shouted the husband, writhing his arm and legs.

Luminita held Ehrlich's arm. "Why did that man hurt me? Oh, bring me Desponia."

"Onyx, release that jackass," Ehrlich said.

Onyx dropped the husband to the ground. The husband scrambled to his feet and ran down the road. Luminita ran to Onyx, grabbed hold of an ear, and squealed with delight as he lifted her off the ground. "Do as I say!" Luminita laughed, "Do as I say!" She pulled herself astride the wolf and started back for the castle with Ehrlich riding alongside.

***

Meantime, Thomas kept a relaxed hold on the reins as his carriage. made steady progress through the forest en route to Medias. He'd soon get married. The thought of his fiancé cheered him. He called out to his horses, offering them an apple apiece when they arrived at the Plow and Stars. He reached into a pocket for his pipe. Sunlight sparkled through the canopy, warming the backs of his hands and the backs of his horses. The sweet fragrance of moss and wildflowers hung in the air. Chipmunks chased through the branches.

Inside the coach, Claudia and Patience turned their attention to the purses. They covered their mouths and bounced upon taking peeks inside. The next moment they were wet sparrows. Their excess of movement rocked the carriage and wakened Maria.

"Ladies, for the love of the Patron Saints, contain yourselves."

Claudia and Patience only burst out laughing and held out coins for Maria to witness. Maria snatched up her purse and opened it. She poured coins onto her lap, then slapped the tops of her thighs in delight. Claudia and Patience continued to bounce. Maria got hold of her excitement and placed the coins back in the pouch. She peeked past the carriage curtain while savoring the glow of good fortune. Shock crystalized her expression and froze her heart as Lamia closed on the carriage. John turned instinctively, and Lamia cut his head off. His arms reached out, feeling the air in a grotesque pantomime. His headless body tumbled off the driver's box. It shivered down an embankment. Lamia tore hindquarters from one horse, then snapped the necks. The ladies spilled out of the carriage and fell to their knees. Lamia's tail swung over their heads. She breathed in Desponia's lingering bouquet, the lingering sex of the gypsy. And then she hacked the good ladies to pieces with her nails.

Desponia burst through a cloud ceiling as the sun dropped. She was sweeping to the ground, calling her stallion. She rode fast, seeing much activity as she arrived at the fortress. Ehrlich stood inside the fortress walls, and upon seeing her entrance, he ran up and caught the reins.

He put his thoughts in order, and in that exact moment, a military man rode across the bridge and into the compound."

"I am Gregory, Captain of the Saxon Guard. What are your names?"

Dracula called out from the great hall's entrance.

"That is Ehrlich. Mounted next to him is my lady Desponia. I am Dracula."

"Good evening to you, Sir," said Gregory. We pursue a beast that poses a threat to the populace. A slaughter took place on the road to Medias, not a mile from here.

"Describe it," said Desponia.

'With respect, my lady, a creature is a monster. So says a carpenter from Medias, Jacob Ran.

"What business had he in this area?" Desponia asked.

"He is husband to the gypsy, Luminita, and he claims an abduction."

Desponia's expression did not change. She leaped off her horse and approached Ehrlich. "Where is my gypsy?" she asked in a low voice.

Ehrlich pulled his hat from his head and rolled it into a cylinder, "There was an incident. I resolved it"

Desponia glanced balefully at the captain.

"The remains of the victims agree with the carpenter's description." continued the captain. "Some soldiers in our battalion claim familiarity with the creature described. An expeditionary force is already in the field. Marshal law is probable, as would be the billeting of soldiers and restrictions on travel. No disrespect intended, but it's said you employed the victims.

ZORBA3150
ZORBA3150
29 Followers
12