Drow's Dilemma Ep. 141: Valkyries

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If I could easily take out the succubus queen, I would have done so long ago," Vithantiel said slowly. "I could destroy her, of course, but the cost is not worth paying."

"Would it be worth paying if I offered you a life-extending artifact I had stolen from the Divine?" Vithantiel perked up, leaning in to listen to what the Green had to say. "Long ago, I hired a Yuan-ti thief named Slasjowskew Slitherscar to siphon power from the Goddess of Magic to create a conduit into the weave of magic itself that can be used to prolong a dragon's life indefinitely, without having to become something as hideous as a Dracolich."

"You said 'a' conduit," Vithantiel observed with suspicion. "Would not giving me this artifact cause you to perish?"

Varyndaevyrress shook her head. "I have grown past such things," she said dismissively. "I knew that, for my quest of utter perfection, I would require a longer life than Green Dragons naturally have, but I disliked having to rely on divine power for my life. The artifact was a stop-gap until I could grow beyond. I meditated in my underground forest for seven hundred and seventy-seven years and reached a Oneness with the primordial state of the universe that allowed me to transcend my own reliance on the weave for life. My conduit to the weave is now useless to me."

"You are very enlightened, I am sure," Vithantiel said disdainfully. "I once ate a monk who had achieved enlightenment. He tasted better than most, but his 'oneness with the universe' was no match for my fire."

"Your fire is truly a thing of power and terror," Varyndaevyrress said sweetly. "I confess, I am envious of such a powerful flame. I am sure that you know that Greens such as I have only acid at our disposal: nothing so wondrous and magnificent as fire. Why do you think I came to you for help, and not another Green?"

"Your flattery means nothing to me!" Vithantiel said grandly: her posture and tone indicating that said flattery meant everything to her. "So, you will give me life unending and the power to become the greatest Red Dragon in any world in exchange for what?"

"For creating trouble for a certain succubus. For taking revenge on the only daughter you ever let live, who returned your magnanimity with contempt and betrayal. For adding the wealth of Clachleom to your hoard. And though you have destroyed six ancient kingdoms and taken their wealth into this magnificent hoard, the wealth of Rubella Silverwisp and the Court of Clachleom would triple your trove. You would be the wealthiest Red Dragon to ever tyrannize the skies of Nuititana. As one who has reached Enlightenment, I am content to allow your treasure to eclipse my own. I ask only that you destroy the allies of my enemies, that I may take my vengeance on those who have wronged me."

The Red Dragon's great eyes glittered with avarice. "It is said that no other creature can compete with a Green Dragon for flattery and manipulation. Suppose I were to agree to help you. What surety do I have that you will leave me be and not take advantage of me exposing myself to steal my hoard, or stab me in the belly?"

"I will make unto thee a vow most solemn," Varyndaevyrress said grandly. "That so long as you live your unending life, not a single copper coin of your great hoard shall I touch, nor anything more valuable. And I vow that I will not bring about any harm to you, physical or financial, so long as you do not attack me. I vow this in the name of the Perfection for which I have dedicated my life. My word is my bond in a way no mere Paladin can ever reach; my very Enlightenment prevents me from breaking my word in even the smallest way. Besides, old as I am, what danger is a doddering old Green Dragon living off of something so frail as oneness with the universe to one such as thee? All know that the Red Dragons are the strongest of us all, and there are few of your kind who can even falsely claim to be your equal, and none who dare openly claim to be your rival or superior, lest they occasion thine legendary wrath. I seek not rivalry with other dragons, only my own perfection."

"I said that flattery will get you nothing from me," Vithantiel said, her voice practically a purr of delight. "I know that Greens have words that drip in honey and acid. I need you to offer something more concrete than mere observations that any fool can see. As loath as I am to admit it: the succubi are numerous and cunning, and their leader is powerful. I can destroy them easily, of course, but in the process, they might injure me, and such injury is not worth your empty compliments."

Varyndaevyrress's grin turned evil. "In order that your magnificence might not be harmed, I will offer you another artifact. A relic from the Empress of Souls that will prevent succubus magic from harming you. Rubella may well open the heavens and call down a meteor to attempt to smash you from the sky, but it will do nothing to you but bounce like a rubber ball from your armor - armor more magnificent than any adamantine. With this artifact, you need pay no more heed to the buzzings of the succubi than to the swarming of flies around a dungheap."

"Well, since you have come paying such tribute, I will deign to assist you." Vithantiel purred with delight. "I suppose that Clachleom has grown too proud, and their arrogance has been weighing on my patience for far too long. It will be good to remind the world that we dragons stand atop creation."

"Of course, Red Tyrant of Niutitana!" the nymph-shaped flatterer declared. "For your flames are such that even the flesh of the succubi shall be burned away, and nothing remain but ashes in mute testament to your eternal glory as you outlast the very sun itself, showing Aelsuna who the real mistress of heat truly is."

Varyndaevyrress held out her right hand, to which Vithantiel extended a single claw, larger than the pseudo-nymph's torso. They shook on it. "I will send my familiar with my tributes," the Green said pleasantly. "Long live the Red Tyrant!"

"I will!" Vithantiel said arrogantly.

The negotiations over, Varyndaevyrress floated out of the Red Dragon's lair. Finally, she opened her too-large eyes, looking back at the cavern she just left. They were the only thing remaining about her form that clearly indicated her draconic nature.

"No fool like an old fool," she laughed. "Soon, your flames will be mine."