Druid Chronicle Ch. 05

Story Info
A different sort of visitor comes to the estate.
7.6k words
4.84
5.7k
16

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/10/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another month passed and he had three quarters of the ground floor finished. He built a short retaining wall around the portico over the front door. His plan was to add roof access there from the second floor once it existed. The next task was a staircase and he spent considerable time in discussion with Antonella, the mermaid, about the best way to do that. She could not see it but he had described it and drawn it for her. In the meantime, the gnomes had gone a considerable way towards solving one of his problems. They had extended one end of the pool fully into the greenhouse enclosure. It took up a lot of the interior space of his greenhouse, maybe as much as a quarter of it, but it allowed Antonella and Ephenome to occupy the same 'room' so to speak. Neive of course, could walk there, if she felt like doing so.

One day he was sitting out on the cliff edge overlooking the sea when a bluebird found him. It fluttered annoyingly in front of his face, dropped a small scrap of parchment on his lap and flew away. He unfolded it. In very small, very precise writing it said: "Things move. Be wary."

It was unsigned but then it didn't need to be. Of course, it was intentionally vague, he was sure of that. She didn't want to be at all compromised if her message found someone else instead.

He stood on the hill there and scanned the surface of the sea for any sign of Antonella. He was unlikely to find her that way and he saw no evidence of her now. He didn't really know what she did out there, apart from eating and sleeping. He didn't know how far she roamed either. She would turn up and he would pass on the warning. There wasn't much point in telling Neive who was her own security alarm. For that matter Ephenome was too.

He headed back to his house wondering if he should maybe be paying a bit more attention to what was happening outside his gates as well.

Later that afternoon he was in the basement room that acted as his library. He was looking forward to moving it to the first floor where there was natural light and eventually the second floor. For now, he read by sorcery light as he generally avoided all forms of flame everywhere if he could. He smelled the smoky aroma around the same time that his amulet went off.

He walked quickly out to Ephenome's courtyard to find her flower open exposing her to the knees. A rare sight. Also an attractive sight. He focused on her face.

"Someone is out there." He told her.

"Yes, or something."

"You don't know?"

"I can't tell. It is not entering though."

"Yes, whoever it is, is following protocols and waiting for admission."

"You can't tell either?"

"I can only tell it's someone I don't already know, which frankly, is almost everyone. I will go see myself."

"Be careful."

That caused him a moment of reassessment. Ephenome was typically quite casual about situations he considered dangerous.

He walked down the path towards his gate, in no particular hurry. In the twenty or thirty minutes the walk took he added multiple forms of protection about himself. Whoever waited on him did so patiently enough. There was no fidgeting with his gate or his wards.

Upon arriving at the fence he found a figure cloaked in gray. He imagined it was a woman due to shorter stature and a slender frame but there was no way to be sure. Sherra's warning note was fresh in his mind.

"Hello."

The hood raised slightly to look at him. He could see nothing inside the cowl, maybe a little bit of chin?

"Hi." The voice was slightly feminine as well he thought, shy, quiet.

"Can I help you?"

He or she did not answer immediately and he took the opportunity to really look at it using magic to augment his vision. He knew it would be apparent he was doing it as his eyes would certainly go purple but there was no harm involved.

She was alive, no surprise there. Or he was? Orren was still leaning slightly towards female but it was unclear. The light about her refracted very oddly. It blurred the edges and left no particular impression.

"You are a druid." It was almost an accusation.

"Yes." He agreed.

"Yet you use sorcery."

"Yes."

"And magic."

He waited for more.

"I would talk with you." She glanced behind her at the open meadow and then up in the air. "Please may I come in."

"I need a reason to let you in."

"What?" she asked.

"You are full of some form of magic, that much I can tell. You act like you are pursued. I want to know if I'm exposing myself to risk by letting you in."

"I am full of magic. I don't entirely know what to do with it but I feel so conspicuous out here. Your land is full of wild magic. I will be camouflaged there. I just want to feel... hidden."

"You came here to hide?"

"No. I came here to find you."

He didn't know what to do. He did not find her to be threatening. Inviting her in didn't grant her any special powers against him that he knew of so ultimately, he waved his fingers and the gate went down. He stepped back several paces to let her enter. She did. He replaced the gate.

She sighed and relaxed noticeably and pulled back her hood. She was... gray.

Her skin was ashen, all of her face and her hands included. A pale grey as if she were somehow not in color. Her hair was a lighter silvery-gray as were her eyes. It was a striking combination but did not appear human. The strands of her hair came to just above her shoulders. They appeared a little thicker than normal and there was no tangling, each hung straight and independent of its neighbors.

He had no idea what she was, but manners first. "I am Orren, welcome to my estate."

Unexpectedly she bowed. "It is an honor to meet you Orren. I call myself Karalie."

Orren glanced into the trees nearby. Which of these vines were part of Ephenome he wondered? He felt like a little extra counsel would be helpful here.

"What do you wish to discuss?"

"I..." she looked around at the jungle.

"I will take you to my house. I want to hear the synopsis first though."

She nodded as if that made sense to her.

She opened her arms out. "Look at me."

"Yes?"

"No, look at me."

He did so, again, using the druid sight. Nothing had changed. She was bright, strongly alive but the edges were chaotic, ragged. There was no outline to speak of, she simply faded smoothly into the background.

"She returned to her previous huddled posture. "Do you find me repulsive?"

"No. I don't understand what I see. What are you?"

"I don't really know what I am. I am many types of magic combined. Which is why I seek you. I heard of you. Someone who dealt with different types of magic. I thought maybe you could help me. Everyone sees me through one lens but you might see me through many. You might see the whole picture."

Orren had no idea how he might possibly do that. Still it wasn't worth trying to solve it out here.

"Okay Karalie, come along then."

They walked towards the house and it occurred to him to wonder how she had heard of him. He asked.

"How did you discover my peculiar history?"

"People in town know. I was living there as a washer girl when... when Cheyne died."

"That was almost seven years ago."

"Yes."

"Recently then you discovered where I live?"

"Yes. I was working as a washer girl for the sorceress there and I was able to discover it."

That brought him to a stop. He examined her closely. "Sherra is not likely to leave secrets lying around in the open."

Karalie looked down at her feet. "No, she is not."

He waited. Finally, she met his eyes again she raised her chin and then she slowly changed.

She became infused with color, her skin first until it was a medium brown. Her hair darkened to black, her eyes went from silvery-gray to brown. She seemed much younger now. She looked indeed like a peasant girl.

"Illusion?"

Karalie shook her head. "No. It's real."

"Are you animated by magic?"

"No. I am not a golem." She said that forcefully, with assurance.

"So the other form..."

"This appearance takes more work. This is Demia, the washer girl."

Now she changed again, becoming much older, her face lightened but wrinkled, her hair became sparse and she stooped over. Her breasts, what was visible of them, disappeared and her hips narrowed. She looked like a very old man. "Now I am Marten, an eccentric man who gathers seaweed along the coast." Her voice had likewise changed to match her appearance.

"Which one is really you?"

She slowly morphed back into the gray-skinned, gray-eyed slightly ghostly looking woman she had been when he first met her.

"This form takes the least amount of effort to maintain. I think maybe this is me. Or this is me now."

"You don't remember?"

"I remember when Sherra came to town. I remember Artur before her. I remember Yellen before him."

Orren tried to add up those numbers in his head. "That is... many years. Maybe a hundred."

She said nothing.

"I don't know that I will be able to help you, Karalie."

She nodded almost imperceptibly.

"I will try. There are others here who may be able to help."

Now she was the one unwilling to keep walking.

"You are not alone? Will they recognize me?"

"No. I am certain they will not. I am the only human here."

She was quiet for most of the remaining walk. He guessed that she was somewhat troubled to discover he was not alone. As they neared the house, Neive was waiting for them in the path and she carried her bow with her which was rare. Karalie stopped again.

"You said..."

"Neive is a dryad. Neive, this is Karalie. I don't know what Karalie is, but neither does she."

Karalie and Neive appraised each other.

Karalie spoke first, hesitantly. "I have never met a dryad. I have met other nymphs. They were mean to me."

Neive said only, "Troubling."

It was unclear if she was responding to Karalie's comment. She turned and walked to Ephenome's courtyard. Orren assumed he should follow.

"This is my home." He said to Karalie as they passed in front of it. "I don't know how far you've traveled, but I will offer you food and drink and a place to rest shortly."

They crossed into the courtyard. Ephenome rarely hid her flower here like she had done in the jungle. It was obvious now and as the three of them entered the flower opened down to her waist.

Karalie was so surprised she stepped backwards, tripping and falling down.

Orren did a quick vine check, looking for thorns. "It's okay Phen." He did the introductions which Karalie may or may not have heard as she was still in apparent shock at Ephenome's appearance. He held out his hand to Karalie and she took it. Several things struck him immediately as he helped her to her feet. First, her hand was slightly tacky, it was also too soft. It was almost like grabbing Ephenome's boneless hand but with a different texture. Secondly, her center of gravity was wrong. She popped up way too easy like there was no weight at all in her upper half.

"I don't think you should touch her." Ephenome said. "She consumes magic."

He examined Karalie, pondering that statement. He wasn't sure he agreed. Neive apparently didn't either.

"I considered that" the dryad answered. "I don't believe so."

"May I try something?" He asked Karalie.

She nodded.

"This won't hurt." He cast a generic mild healing spell on her using only druid lore. He could feel some of the warmth, which was not typical as the caster.

"Did you feel something?" He asked.

"I feel stronger. Yes. Thank you."

"She's a mirror." Orren announced.

"Fascinating." Neive replied.

"How so?" asked the alraune.

"She absorbed some of the spell herself, but some of it also reflected back on me. Does that always happen?"

Karalie was thinking. "Yes, maybe. I've never heard it phrased that way before, but that might be accurate."

"Sherra never cast a spell on you while you worked for her? She would never let you into her tower without at least scrying."

"She would have scryed Demia. Not me. The real Demia whom I replaced some times so she could have a day off. She is real person, unlike me."

"Show them." He said. He stepped back so Ephenome had a clear view.

Karalie cycled through the other two appearances she had already demonstrated.

"Can you do anyone?" Ephenome asked.

"Anything." Karalie replied. With that she changed again, the grey slowly became green. Her relatively straight frame becoming much curvier until she was a reflection of the alraune without the flower.

She was naked like Ephenome.

"The clothes..." Orren wondered.

"The cloak is real. The other clothes are part of me. I simulate them as well."

He reached out to touch Karalie's version of Ephenome's mossy hair which he happened to be very well acquainted with. It felt similar. It twined about his hand and he realized it was moving independently. A few strands snaked up his forearm almost to his elbow before releasing. Meanwhile she had faded back towards gray.

"What am I?" She asked him again.

He didn't know. "You are Karalie."

She sighed.

"There is a mermaid here at times, she is very well read and may have some ideas. Did you not ever ask Sherra?"

Karalie shook her head. "I was afraid to reveal myself to her."

"Yet you revealed yourself to me?"

"Sherra spoke of you. She said you had no political motives or desire for greater power."

"She told you that?"

"No, she was talking to the Lord Mayor and others. They were deciding who would be threats to them. You were quickly dismissed. That's when I decided to come here."

Orren glanced around. Neive had no strong opinion, he was already certain of that through the bond they seemed to share. Ephenome was thoughtful but the quick glance she gave him offered nothing either.

"Do you eat and drink, Karalie?"

"I do..." she blushed, briefly bringing a tinge of pink to her colorless form. Too much pink. He wondered if she was simulating the response. "I prefer not to eat around others." She glanced around the courtyard to find everyone still staring at her. "I don't chew like humans, I just dissolve it whole. I don't want to offend anyone."

"That's how I do it." Ephenome replied. "Do you eat humans too?"

Karalie looked genuinely horrified for a moment. "No!"

"But you could." Ephenome pressed. "Couldn't you?"

"I... suppose, but how? It would take weeks."

Orren interrupted. "My point... was to ask you if you were hungry."

Karalie had sunk back into her cowl. "I'm fine for now", she muttered meekly.

"Do you sleep?"

"Yes. More than most humans. I cannot be a washer girl all the time or I do not have enough time to recover."

"Would you like to rest?"

"You would let me?"

"Of course."

"Then yes, please."

Hallem marched into the courtyard from the terrace followed in a straight line by his two helpers. He stopped between Karalie and Orren.

"Is she staying?"

"For now." Orren answered.

"A risk and a reward."

Orren wondered how much Hallem knew. "Would you like to explain?"

"No."

"Hallem."

"She amplifies the wild magic of the jungle."

"Yes."

Hallem shook his head like he was exasperated. "More magic. Can you control it?"

"I don't need to. Wild magic is my element." Orren said this confidently and thought maybe, just maybe he elicited the tiniest bit of reaction from Hallem.

"Arrogance is typically the downfall of a mage."

Orren was surprised at the rebuke from Hallem and the use of 'mage' was surely intended as an insult. Hallem continued his march across the courtyard.

"Hallem!"

The gnome procession stopped again.

Orren pointed at Neive. "Lest you forget, there is a dryad here. A mature, experienced dryad." He switched arms to point at Ephenome. "On the other side is an alraune who has already spread across half the jungle on this estate and feeds on wild magic. What exactly do you think I have to fear?"

Hallem grimaced and marched back over to Orren, alone. Neive stepped between them.

"Stop this", she said. "Karalie, go stand over there." She pointed at the greenhouse, behind her. Karalie did as she was asked. Neive remained between Karalie and Hallem, waiting.

After a minute she said quietly, "Did you lose control Hallem?"

Hallem was looking at the ground. "I am sorry, that was inexcusable."

"No it wasn't." Neive answered. Louder, to Karalie she said, "You mirror emotions too?"

Karalie nodded slowly. "He is angry."

"He is a gnome." Neive said as if that explained it. "Yet you did not become angry?"

"I absorb and reflect all of your emotions. You are all calm, except for the gnome."

Neive turned back to Orren, "You must take care not to become angry around her. She will amplify your anger and likely become angry herself."

"Ok, good to know."

"Welcome to the estate, Karalie." Neive said. Satisfied she was done for now she left for her own courtyard.

"Come along Karalie, I'll show you the inside and you can rest."

Karalie followed him inside although once in the main room it occurred to him, he really did not have furnished guest rooms yet.

"You prefer to sleep in beds?" He asked, immediately wincing at his own question.

"I can sleep anywhere." She was avoiding his eyes again.

"But...?"

She shifted uncomfortably. "I like beds."

Orren laughed, startling her. "You don't have to be ashamed to like sleeping in a bed. My house is under construction as you've probably noticed. I can offer you a room of your own, but it will take a little work to arrange it, so for now I will offer you what I have."

"Of course." She agreed. "It will be pleasant just to sleep knowing that I am sheltered."

"In this house?"

"In this jungle."

He wanted to ask her what she was afraid of but he stopped himself. She could rest first and he could ask her later. He took her downstairs to his bed as it was all he really had.

"If you would like light I can leave one in here, it is otherwise quite dark."

"I do not require light."

"Be at peace then. You should be able to find one of us when you awake."

"Thank you Orren."

He left and closed the door, going back upstairs. He didn't know how long she slept for. Half a day? Two days? A week? Well, he had been planning to build more beds for guests, this would be the incentive he needed. He stopped in his main hall for a while and ate some fruit before going back outside.

Ephenome's head and nothing else was exposed and her eyes were closed as she leaned on the petals of her flower, possibly sleeping - or what passed as sleep for her. He walked up to her. She was usually quite a bit higher than him but he managed to reach up enough to kiss her on the cheek. Her eyes fluttered open.

"Flatterer."

"What?"

"You said I covered half the jungle already."

"It seems like."

She smiled.

"Are you afraid of excess wild magic?" He asked her.

Her dreamy gaze focused more sharply on him.

"There is no such thing as excess." She said.

It was as he thought. "Are you afraid of Karalie?"

"No... but I am wary. Her story would be equally true if Sherra knew exactly what she was and sent her unwittingly for some reason."

"Sherra sent me a warning this morning. It was brief and cryptic in case it was somehow intercepted. She told me things moved and that I should be wary."

Ephenome was quiet. So quiet he thought maybe she had gone back to sleep. Finally she spoke. "Sherra is correct."

"What do you know?"

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a vine move, inching towards him.

"Phen!"

"Sorry." She said immediately. "It's instinct. The town militia attacked the southern jungle."

"Yes."

"The jungle will fight back."

Orren had already considered that possibility months ago and then discarded it thinking too much time had passed. Apparently not. He didn't know how Ephenome knew such things but he did know she had access somehow. Flower nymphs or some sort of tree communication chain or birds. While he was contemplating this Ephenome was watching him.