Dual Heritage Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Arin hit the ground hard, gasping for air. But before he could recover, Mark was upon him, his hand glowing with fiery energy. "Had enough?"

Before he could deliver the final blow, the second man, now recovered, lunged at him from behind. Mark sensed the movement and sidestepped just in time, sending a wave of ice to freeze the man's feet to the ground.

Mark turned back to Arin, who was slowly getting to his feet. "This ends now."

Arin glared at him, his eyes filled with a mix of rage and desperation. "You think you've won? This is far from over."

Mark raised his hand, preparing to end the duel, but then he felt it—a sudden drain of energy. Arin had one last trick up his sleeve. A dark aura emanated from him, sapping Mark's strength.

With the last of his energy, he focused his mind and channeled his power into a single, concentrated beam of light. The beam shot forth, piercing through Arin's dark aura and hitting him square in the chest.

Arin screamed as the light engulfed him, and then he collapsed, unconscious.

Panting heavily, Mark looked at the other man, who was still struggling to free his feet from the ice. "I suggest you leave. Now."

The man glared but said nothing, finally freeing himself and retreating, carrying the unconscious Arin with him.

Mark sighed, his body aching from the intense duel. But there was no time to rest. He turned his attention back to Alex, ready for whatever came next.

"Ah, the puppet master finally steps into the ring. Your goons didn't fare so well, you know."

The air between them crackled with tension, each man's aura clashing like invisible titans.

Alex's eyes narrowed. "Don't mistake the opening act for the main event."

The two mages squared off, both with their hands poised to cast their spells. The tension was palpable as they locked eyes, each one sizing up the other.

Mark's eyes sparkled with a blend of adrenaline and a touch of exhaustion, while Alex's were icy pools of calculation.

With a sudden, fluid motion, Alex unleashed a bolt of lightning. It wasn't just any bolt; it zigzagged erratically, making it nearly impossible to dodge. Mark conjured an ice barrier, but the lightning splintered it, sending shards flying in all directions.

"Nice try," Mark grunted, retaliating with a torrent of fire that spiraled like a dragon ascending.

But Alex was nimble, sidestepping the flames and countering with a wave of kinetic energy that hit Mark like a freight train, sending him sprawling backward.

Mark rolled to his feet, panting. "You pack quite a punch, Alex. Ever consider a career in boxing?"

Ignoring the jab, Alex prepared another spell.

The duel escalated into a symphony of destruction, a ballet of fire and ice, wind and lightning. Spells were cast with the precision of snipers, each mage dodging and countering in a seamless flow that was almost choreographed.

Summoning a gust of wind strong enough to uproot trees, Mark sent Alex stumbling back. "You look a little winded," he taunted.

Alex growled, deflecting a volley of razor-sharp ice shards Mark launched at him. But the effort left him open, and Mark seized the moment.

As Alex prepared another ice spell, Mark sidestepped and unleashed a surge of electricity. The bolt hit Alex square in the chest, momentarily paralyzing him. "Shocking, isn't it?"

Wasting no time, Mark lunged forward, his fist glowing with concentrated energy. He landed a devastating punch to Alex's gut, sending him stumbling back, gasping for air but he was far from defeated. With a snarl, he retaliated with a blast of fire so intense it turned the air into a heatwave. Mark dodged by a hair's breadth, rolling to the side and conjuring an ice wall to shield himself from the scorching heat.

"Hot enough for you?" Alex snarled.

"You're just full of surprises, but I'm running low on popcorn."

Mark's muscles screamed in protest, his magical reserves dwindling. He knew he had to end this, and fast. With a final, desperate focus, he channeled all his remaining energy into his palm, forming a sphere of crackling electricity.

The air hummed with tension as Mark unleashed the lightning bolt. It shot towards Alex like a missile, its trajectory unwavering. Alex barely had time to raise his arms in defense; the bolt hit him with the force of a sledgehammer, sending him sprawling to the ground.

For a moment, the world was still.

Finally, Alex groaned and struggled to sit up. "You win this round," he said, grudgingly. "But don't get too comfortable. This isn't over yet."

"For fuck's sake can't you just leave us alone man."

"You don't understand what's at stake here."

"No Alex, I fucking don't but as I have told you many freaking time Ria does and she is completely capable of making her own decision."

Alex just chuckles and threw his hands in surrender. "Yes yes....she is but I can't disobey my orders."

"What orders?"

"I've been instructed by Ria's mother to warn you to stay away from her daughter. If you declined, I was given permission to use force." Alex tried to get up, but his body was weak and uncooperative. "I was hoping to just leave after speaking, but that douchebag had to start a fight."

Mark's eyes widened in surprise. "What? Ria's mother?"

Alex nodded. "As I said she's worried that you'll distract Ria from her duties as the next in line. She thinks you're not worthy of her daughter."

"Let me guess she is one of those traditionalists who believe in bloodline superiority and all that crap?"

Alex grimaced. "Yeah, you could say that. She's old-fashioned and thinks that magic should only be passed down through bloodlines. She feels that marriage is only mix bloodlines and produce powerful offspring."

"Offspring??? Dude I even forgot that such word exists till now."

Alex chuckled. "Yeah, she's a little extreme. But she's still coven's head, and I have to follow her orders."

Mark rolled his eyes. "Well, excuse me for not being born into a magical aristocracy. I guess my peasant blood just isn't good enough for her highness. This sounds like something out of a medieval times novel. I didn't realize we were living in a Game of Thrones spinoff.""

Alex sighed. "I know, I know it's ridiculous, but she's still Ria's mother. And as much as it pains me to say it, we have to respect her wishes. Besides it's not just Ria's mother we have to worry about. There are others who feel the same way."

"Well, good for her. I'm sure she'll have lots of powerful, inbred offspring to show off at her next family reunion. What is this, a Game of Thrones spinoff?"

Alex gave him a disapproving look. "That's not funny, Mark."

"Oh, lighten up, Alex. If we can't laugh at the ridiculousness of bloodline purity, then what can we laugh at?"

"Her mother just wants what's best for her."

"Sure, sure. Because nothing says 'best for her' like being forced to marry someone based on their family lineage,"

"Can we tone down the sarcasm please?"

"Fine. Alex, I understand that you're just following orders. I don't want any trouble with Ria's family. I just want to be with her and support her in any way I can."

Alex looked at Mark skeptically. "And how exactly do you plan to do that, given the current situation?"

Mark shrugged. "I don't know yet. But I'm not giving up on her. Not now, not ever."

Alex raised an eyebrow. "Even if it means going against her mother? She's not someone to be trifled with."

"I'll do whatever it takes," he declared, his voice unwavering.

With that, he turned and walked away, his footsteps echoing in the silence. His body was weary, but his resolve was unbreakable.

17

scene break

As Mark settled into a cozy corner of the coffee shop, he let out a heavy sigh. The events of the day had left him feeling drained,his body aching and his mind racing. He leaned his head back against the wall, closing his eyes and taking deep breaths.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air, and he opened his eyes, taking in his surroundings. The cozy interior of the coffee shop was a welcome respite from the chaos of the outside world. The murmur of conversations and the whir of espresso machines created a soothing soundscape.

A barista sauntered over, her smile a ray of sunshine. "Hey there, what's your poison?"

"Cappuccino. Make it strong," Mark said, his voice tinged with exhaustion.

"Sure thing," she asked, her fingers dancing over the register keys. "Rough day, huh?"

"You could say that," Mark replied with a half-hearted chuckle.

"Nothing a good cup of joe can't fix," she winked, heading back to the espresso machine.

Mark's eyes wandered around the café. It was a snug little haven, filled with plush armchairs, eclectic artwork, and vintage posters. There were a few people scattered around, all quietly enjoying their drinks and reading or working on laptops.

The barista returned, setting down a steaming cup in front of him. "One cappuccino, extra strong."

"Thanks," he said, taking a sip. The coffee was a balm, its warmth seeping into his bones, its bitterness grounding him.

He was lost in his thoughts when the barista piped up, "So, what's eating at you? You look like you've been through the wringer."

"Let's just say, I had a magical duel over a girl whose mom thinks I'm not good enough because I don't have a trust fund."

The barista's eyes widened. "Wow, that's like something out of a fantasy novel. Do go on."

Mark sighed. "It's complicated. Basically, I like this girl, but her mother doesn't approve of me because I'm not from a uhhh....rich family. She thinks her daughter should marry someone who is very wealthy. Like, Scrooge McDuck levels of wealth."

"That's rough."

"You're telling me," he replied, taking another sip.

"I hope everything works out for you."

"Thanks," he said, taking another sip. "I appreciate it."

"Well, I really do hope the coffee helps. If you need anything else, just let me know."

Mark paused, "Actually, this coffee is incredible. What's your secret?"

Her face lit up. "Ah, you've got a good palate! It's a blend of Brazilian and Colombian beans. Our house special."

"You guys are wizards with coffee," Mark said, a genuine smile crossing his face for the first time that day.

"We aim to please," she beamed. "Need anything else?"

"No, this is perfect. Thanks."

She nodded and moved on to the next customer, leaving Mark to his thoughts. His mind circled back to Ria and her family. Why hadn't she told them about his magical lineage? Would that change their minds? He pondered over his coffee, the questions swirling in his mind as the caffeine coursed through his veins.

Mark's attention snapped to his phone as it buzzed on the table. He didn't recognize the number, but he answered it anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mark, it's Vizi. I hope I'm not disturbing you," the voice on the other end said.

Mark's eyes narrowed. Vizi was the last person he wanted to hear from. "Well, you're not catching me at a good time, but go on. What's so urgent?"

"I heard about the fight. Did Alex attack you?"

Mark clenched his jaw. "Yes, he did. But it's under control now. We sorted things out."

Vizi paused, choosing his words carefully. "Look, Alex was acting on orders from Ria's mom. She's got this whole 'protect the bloodline' obsession."

He snorted. "Oh, you don't say? I thought she was just a fan of medieval court dramas."

Vizi chuckled, " I know it sounds crazy. She's a maga with a capital 'M.' Not someone you want to get on the bad side of."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Look, I know things got off on the wrong foot between us, but I'm not here to cause trouble. I just want to make sure that Ria is safe."

Mark's skepticism was palpable. "So, you're saying she's not safe with me?"

"I'm saying her mom's up to something. And you should be on your guard," Vizi clarified.

His defenses went up a notch. "Why the sudden change of heart? Weren't you the one who showed up at my doorstep, demanding Ria go back to your coven?"

"I did what I thought was best at the time, especially with magi hunters on the prowl. But I've had a change of perspective."

Mark's guard went up. "And what makes you think you know what's best for her?"

"I've known Ria and her family for a long time. I even knew your aunt."

"What does my aunt have to do with this?"

"Let's just say she and Ria's mom have a tangled history. And you might want to untangle it before you get caught in the web."

Mark was intrigued but cautious. "And what's the catch for this insider info?"

"No catch. Just a chance to clear the air, maybe find some common ground," Vizi offered.

Mark hesitated before nodding. "Fine. Let's meet and talk."

"Great, I'm free right now," Vizi replied. "Where are you?"

Mark glanced around the coffee shop, taking note of his surroundings before giving Vizi the location.

"I'll be there in ten minutes," Vizi said before hanging up.

Mark's mind was racing with questions. What did Vizi want? And why did he seem so interested in his relationship with Ria? What was his relationship with his aunt? He couldn't shake off the feeling that something was not quite right.

After some time he notices the same man who had visited him a few weeks back enter the coffee shop. Vizi looks around the before spotting Mark and making his way over to him.

"Hey, Mark. How's it going?" he asks as he takes a seat in front of Mark.

Mark nods in response, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. "What do you want, Vizi?"

Vizi raised his palms in mock surrender. "Whoa, easy there, cowboy. Just wanted to see how you're holding up after your duel with Alex."

"I took care of him."

"Really? All by yourself?"

"No need to sound so impressed."

"Impressed? Don't kid yourself. you may have entered this part of world pretty recently but you were trained by one of the best from childhood."

The barista interrupted, her smile a stark contrast to the tension at the table. "What can I get you?"

"Double shot espresso. Make it quick please," Vizi ordered.

"Sure thing, coming right up," she said, jotting down the order and heading to the coffee machine.

Mark watched her go and turned back to Vizi. "So, you were saying something about my aunt?"

"Ah, yes. Your Aunt Lida. Quite the legend, she is."

Mark cut to the chase. "Why are you really here, Vizi?"

"I wanted to check in on you," Vizi said. "Make sure you were okay after the attack. To check on you, believe it or not. Your aunt would have my head if anything happened to you."

Mark's eyes narrowed. "What does she have to do with this?"

"Let's just say she and I have a history. And I know she wouldn't want to see her nephew get hurt. We don't want your lover's coven flattened to the ground now do we?"

"She wouldn't do something so drastic."

"Well buddy you would be surprised what she does when she is angry. Trust me, you don't want to be on her bad side."

"You seem to know her pretty well."

"Well as I said we have history."

The barista returned, placing Vizi's espresso on the table. "Here you go, sir," she said, placing the cup on the table.

"Thank you," Vizi said, taking a sip. "This is excellent."

"I'm glad you like it," With that, she left the two men to their conversation. Vizi took another sip of his espresso before speaking.

"So, you're not even going to ask me what kind of history your aunt and I share?"

Mark shrugged. "If she wanted me to know, she'd tell me herself."

"You're more level-headed than I expected. Most people your age would be all over the place, wanting to know every little detail."

Mark took a sip of his coffee and set it down on the table. "Well, as you have stated before I was not only trained but raised by a good person, so I guess it rubbed off on me."

Vizi just smiled genuinely for the first time since Mark saw him. "I guess that is also true."

"I take that as a compliment," Mark said with a grin. "So, what's the real story here? Why the sudden interest in Ria and me?"

"Let me tell you something, Mark. In this world, sometimes knowledge can be power. And sometimes, power can be the difference between life and death."

"What are you suggesting?"

"I'm just saying that sometimes it's better to know more than less. Especially when it comes to dealing with people like Ria's mother and her coven."

"Can you just give it to me straight?"

Vizi leaned in closer, "Let's just say there are some in the council who aren't too fond of Ria's independent ways. They feel she's straying too far from tradition and that it's time for her to be put back in her place. And if that means taking down her coven in the process, then so be it."

"That's insane."

"I agree," Vizi replied. "But unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way. That's why I'm here.

"Look," Mark said, leaning forward. "I appreciate the warning, but I can handle myself."

"Hey, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I just want to make sure everyone is safe. Including you."

Mark paused and looked at Vizi with a serious expression. "Look, Vizi, as I have already told you I really appreciate your concern and all, but I have to be honest with you. I don't fully trust you. I don't know what your intentions are, and I can't just take your word for it."

Vizi raised his eyebrows in surprise but didn't seem offended. "I understand, Mark. I don't blame you for being cautious. But let me assure you, I'm not here to cause any trouble

"Look," Mark said, leaning forward. "I appreciate the warning, but I can handle myself."

"Hey, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I just want to make sure everyone is safe. Including you."

Mark paused and looked at Vizi with a serious expression. "Look, Vizi, as I have already told you I really appreciate your concern and all, but I have to be honest with you. I don't fully trust you. I don't know what your intentions are, and I can't just take your word for it."

Vizi raised his eyebrows in surprise but didn't seem offended. "I understand, Mark. I don't blame you for being cautious. But let me assure you, I'm not here to cause any trouble

Mark leaned back in his chair, still skeptical. "Well, I appreciate the sentiment, but I think I can take care of myself and Ria. And as far as I know, you're not exactly on good terms with her coven."

Vizi nodded. "That's true. But I'm not the enemy here, Mark. I just...."

Vizi's phone rang suddenly, interrupting their conversation. He glanced at the caller ID and then quickly answered it.

"Hey, what is it?" Vizi said, before listening intently to the other person on the line.

After a few moments, his expression turned grim. He put down the phone and turned to face Mark. "We have a problem," Vizi said urgently.

"What is it?" Mark asked, concerned.

"Ria found out about the attack on you. She's causing a stir at her coven, demanding answers from Alex and her mother. Things are getting heated."

Mark's heart sank at the news. He had hoped that Ria wouldn't find out about the attack, at least not yet. He knew how protective she was of him.

"What can we do?" Mark asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

"I need to go back to the coven and try to smooth things over," Vizi said as he got up.

Mark finished his coffee and stood up. "Well, I'm coming with you. I wouldn't want to miss the show."

Vizi raised an eyebrow. "The show?"

"Yeah, I can just imagine Ria going all Hulk Smash on everyone. It's going to be entertaining."

Vizi shook his head. "I'm sorry, Mark. As much as I appreciate the offer, this is something I need to handle on my own. If Ria finds out that you're involved in this, she'll go even more ballistic."