Duplicity Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Evelyn! Evelyn, wake up!"

Evelyn forced her blurred eyes open and looked up into Lord Davenport's crystal blue eyes. It was his hands holding her by the arms. His arms that drew her against him enfolded her into his warm embrace. With lingering terror and sudden relied, all she could do was cry against his bare. broad chest as he stroked her hair and shushed her.

"Oh what am I to do with you? Hmm poppet?" he asked. His word were playful but his voice was gentle and soothing. "Still having nightmares like a child? Come! No more tears now. I'm here!"

Evelyn clung to him as he rocked her as if she truly were a child. "It's always the same," she whimpered against him as an image of the snarling oak flashed before her. "Always the same..."

"Tell me about the dream."

She hesitated, certain that he mock her, but he was quite determined to have her tell him every detail of the awful dream..

"You've had this dream before. When you were first brought to my house in town, you were feverish for two days. I've heard you repeatedly calling out to some lady to stay awhile. Is it the same dream?"

Evelyn's overwrought mind tried to make sense of what he said. Lord Davenport at her sick-bed? He was there? Did Charlotte or Philip ever mention it? But her present terror soon pushed all other thoughts from her head. "Yes. I've had the same recurring dream since childhood. "

"This veiled woman, is she someone known to you?"

"I think so. I can't be certain."

"Evelyn, do you think she's perhaps your mother?" he asked quietly.

Evelyn bite her lips and slowly nodded. "I believe so but I have no clear memory of my mother or even a likeness to confirm it."

"Ah but you do," he said to her as he cupped her face in his palms and looked upon her admiringly. "You see it every day in the mirror. Except for the color of your eyes and those dimples, there's no other resemblance to the king that I can see in you. I think you know this. Is that why you don't like compliments to your beauty?"

That struck a deep core in Evelyn and her face crumpled. "How can anyone feel pride for resembling a whore," she choked out and hide her face. He will surely say something horrible to her now and she steeled herself again it.

Lord Davenport merely stroked her hair gently. "Is that how she was described to you? Listen to me Evelyn. Sometimes, in life, certain things happen- between men and women it- defies simple explanation. I wouldn't be so harsh on a woman whose face you can't remember, who you've never known."

Her voice was small, hesitant but hopeful. "Is it possible, after so long now- is it still possible to find her?" She quickly looked up at him. Her large oceans of dark blue pleading with him. "If you would help me, it may be done more discreetly and no one will ever know. I just - I have to- its hard to explain why but I need to know, at the very least her name."

He knew she would make the request, had anticipated that it would come, so he knew exactly what his reply would be. "There's no way of knowing what is possible and what isn't until an attempt has been made. I think you've attempted to find her several times already. You, asking me this now means you've made no discovery yet."

Evelyn nodded. "There's not a letter, no memento to go on - no trace at all."

"And there may never be. And if there were, what if her discovery brings you no peace because she's in a worse than what you can imagine?"

She looked up at him with large, brimming eyes. "Do you think-?."

"I don't know," he admitted to her. "I'm merely floating the possibility that her discovery may cause you more pain. If she lives, you discovering her may cause her pain as well. Perhaps, the past is not something she wants revisited."

"But it may not!" she insisted. "I can't know for certain, as you say. The past shouldn't be so painful... not for everyone!"

He took her hands and kissed her fingers. "Life is still full of hope and infinite possibilities for you isn't it? Cynicism hasn't touched this unblemished brow."

Evelyn glanced over to his bare shoulders and let her fingers trace the faint indent of an old scar there. "And that's why you won't speak of your past?"

"I seem to recall telling you quite a bit," he gently reminded her.

"Briefly, and in broad strokes."

"Stiff upper lip sweetheart. Revisiting unpleasant memories in detail serves no purpose, Evelyn. I've not reached the time in my life for reminiscing."

"Not even to ease your mind and relieve whatever burden it is that you carry in your heart?"

"Too many men I know fall into the deep abyss of wallowing, till they can't crawl out again. Simply because they've convinced themselves that the past weighs too heavily on them to carry forth."

"Your free will not let you be hampered by a bit of introspection," Evelyn argued. "Our past may inform our future even. I think by not exploring the paths we've traveled, the choices moving forward is much too limited, don't you think?"

His gaze drifted from her eager upturned face to her pressed pressed up against his chest then up to her glossy, pillowy mouth that hung slightly open.

"I think that was the very speech Pandora gave too," he said with a little smile.

The air crackled with the sudden surge of carnal energy when he leaned down to urge her lips apart with his tongue. He leaned into her for a bruising, breathless kiss then backed away slightly to nibble on her lower lip. From her trembles and moans, he knew she wasn't thinking of anything but what he was doing to her.

That night, he stayed with her and held her till she fell asleep again. He stayed the following night too. Till the fifth night Evelyn slept through the entire night without disruption.

Then he was to leave again and Evelyn nearly flung herself at him to beg him to stay or at least take her with him. But she didn't. He had been so kind and gentle with her since they married, but she didn't trust that his old self wouldn't return. Instead, Evelyn watched him ride off down the gravelly path on his magnificent grey steed with a great lump in her throat and tears brimming in her eyes.

Luckily the weather started to warm up and all the flowers in the rolling fields blossomed into a carpet of rich colors. Evelyn took to taking long walks beyond the gardens to the fields near a fishing pond.

One day she happened upon a young nobleman, with his hat in hand, watering his large chestnut steed the pond.

"Hello, Ainsley Elwood!" she called out as she drew nearer.

The young man turned and his handsome face broke into a wide smile. "Lady Davenport!" he shouted back and greeted her with a deep, courtly bow.

"Such formalities between old friends?" Evelyn asked and stretched out her gloved hands. "I'm so very glad to see you again, I could barely keep from running from the house when I got your note. How long have you been back dear Ainsley?"

Mr. Elwood winked at her as he held her hands to his lips. "Remember, I'm not the sort of man any reputable Lady should call her friend., Evie. Not in public."

Evelyn's smiled happily. "Luckily I've always believed true friendship trumps reputation."

Mr. Elwood squeezed his eyes shut as he pressed another firm kiss on the back of her hand. "My dearest lady. You're a good girl, Evie. The best I've ever known. I wish I were a better man, worthy of you."

Evelyn openly laughed at him. "Worthy-! Oh Ainsley! Still such a rake!." Evelyn went to the dark chestnut colored horse to pet it's mane. The horse turned its neck to nuzzle her a bit then returned to the water again.

Mr. Elwood turned to rub his horse's mane too as the beast continued to drink. "All in service to my king," he said cheerfully as he brushed some hay out of the beast.

Evelyn grew somber and bit her lower lip. "Are you still? When I heard you've returned home, I assumed that's all behind you."

The man beside turned to her and smiled roguishly. "Were you worried for my safety, sweet Evie?"

"Don't flirt!" she retorted. "I know better than to worry about you. You've always been resourceful. Still I don't have to like the nature of what you do, always in the shadows, always dancing on the edge of danger. And no, I know nothing of the specifics of what you do. Just tell me you've returned for good!"

Ainsley Elwood donned his hat again and looked out onto the rippling water, suddenly quite serious. "Well, I don't know if that part of my life could ever be behind me. I'm more useful to his majesty as a drunken libertine rather than who I am. But who am I? There's no clear line between the man and the facade anymore. ... Gosh it's good to see you Evie! I won't tell you you're more beautiful than ever as I know you hate that, you odd little thing. And now you are married! I'm terribly pleased for you- Should I be pleased for you? Is he good to you? "

Evelyn turned away to wiped the horse hairs from her gloves on her skirt. "Do you know my husband? Have you met him?"

"I've not been formally introduced but I know him on sight and by reputation. Not a bad sort. He is amongst a few whose support is key to both the Tories and the Whigs on this new reform measure. I saw him several times at his club in London, always in the middle of some heated debate."

Evelyn studied his way closely. "Is that your way of telling me, he hasn't deserted me for someone else?" Evelyn quipped. "I'm sure it's common knowledge he's often away from home."

Mr. Elwood merely folded his lips inwards into a sheepish smile. "The thought has crossed my mind that - you might worry. He's away too much for a newly married man. Still, I'm sorry if I offended you with my insinuation. Uncovering secrets are almost second nature to me now. But, I can happily report legitimate business keeps your husband from you, not some over-tressed tart."

Evelyn nodded and exhaled deeply. "I know you always have my interests in mind." She lowered her eyes to the ground briefly before looking back up at him again. "And about that matter you and I spoke of - is there any news?"

Mr. Elwood shook his head, no. "Certain matters are of public record, but other things are kept well hidden. I've tried Evelyn, but even Edward thinks its pointless to pursue it further. Your mother, whoever she may be, simply does not wish to be discovered."

A deep blush rose up in Evelyn's cheeks but she nodded gravely.

"I should go," Mr. Elwood said as he pulled his horse from the water's edge and swung himself up on his saddle. "It would be terribly hard to explain this if we're seen."

"Then you must come up to the house and pay a proper call!" Evelyn said, smiling up at him brightly once more. "I won't have you ride off without offering you tea."

"Sweet Evie! Perhaps another day. I suppose I wouldn't mind if you told your husband about our friendship, if the need ever arises. But to others, well - you know why. Oh! I came today with another purpose! Has Edward written to you? Do you know where he's set up?"

"I've sent him a few letters to the usual places. They're usually forwarded but he's yet to reply. You know how erratic Edward can be. Why?"

Mr. Elwood glanced around with one hand shaded over his brow line to block out the bright sunlight and to keep Evelyn from seeing the worry in his eyes. "I'm not certain. Just a feeling of mine that maybe I ought to join him for a bit, wherever he may be. Perhaps being back home, and now seeing you again, makes me long for the old days."

"Have you contacted your own brother?" Evelyn asked carefully.

"We don't- correspond. But if you happen to learn Edward's location, will you send word to me? I'm staying in town."

"Then you must come for a visit!"" Evelyn urged.

"Perhaps. Good bye for now!"

For the rest of the day, Evelyn felt a lightness in her step. Mr. Elwood's visit cheered her to no end and she spent the rest of the day humming softly to herself and imagining a visit with her brother and Mr. Elwood together. She wondered how her husband would get on with the two men. Evelyn's good mood continued when she sat in a hot bath that night. She barely leaned back in the tub before her maid, Martha rushed in.

"His lordship's back my lady and he's asking for you!" the young maid announced excitedly.

"His lordship! " Evelyn bolted up and sloshed water out of the tub. A drizzle from the tub hit the marble floor in a steady stream. It exacerbated the pounding in Evelyn's heart and head. "Here? Is he in my bedchamber?"

"No my lady, he's asked for you in his rooms."

"He's never asked me to his rooms," Evelyn said half to herself. "Then again, I can never expect predictability from him!"

"My lady?" Her maid queried, anxiously. "What should I say? Will you go to him?"

"At once!' Evelyn replied.

A footman was waiting for her Evelyn when she emerged from her rooms. She had hurriedly through on a chemise and wrapped herself in a robe. They entered a part of the house Evelyn had yet to explore. Before a set of large gilded doors another footman stood at attention. The first joined the second to part the doors for her and bid her to enter.

It took Evelyn a moment to take in a sitting room she entered. It almost resembled a library of sorts with nearly all the walls lined with books and nautical maps of sorts. To her right was another set of doors, that lead to what she could only assume was the sleeping chamber. Something made her turn to her left where a cozy fire burned in a massive marble fireplace.

There, her husband sat still in his traveling clothes, thoughtfully stroking his chin as he stared into the orange glowing fire.

"M-my lord?" Evelyn called out hoarsely and felt her heart sink to her feet when he neither moved nor gave any indication he felt her presence.

A minute ticked by. He lifted a glass of wine to his tips and tossed it back.

"My boots are tight," he said after a while holding out his empty glass to her. "Will you remove them for me?"

Evelyn obedienly went to him ad set his glass de before kneeling at his feet. She set pulled his boots off and was about to stand again if he hasn't trapped her body between his thighs. The look in his eyes was indescribable. It sent a shudder, not out of lust, but out of true fear, down Evelyn's spine.

When he spoke, his voice was soft and strangled somehow. "And how are you, Evelyn? Haven't been missing me too much have you?"

She replied with a more steady voice than she felt. "How long will you stay this time sir?"

Lord Davenport leaned back into the chair. "I know I've neglected you. It simply can't be helped. Believe me-"

Evelyn tried to extricate herself but he wouldn't budge. "I think you're angry with me sir, and I'm not sure why."

"Am I angry with you? Do I sound angry?"

"No but- "

"Do I have reason to be angry pet?"

A ringing alarm sounded in Evelyn's head. "If there's nothing else my lord, I'll leave you to rest. You've had a long journey," she said quickly and tried to push at his hard, immovable thighs.

"I did have a long journey," he agreed as he leaned towards her, his intense gaze fixed upon her.. "I rode non-stop to get back to you, Evelyn. Won't you stay with me for a bit?"

Her head snapped up with surprise. She was even more surprised when he kissed her lips. It was a passionless, soft kiss, tinged with sadness. His melancholy washed over her and made tears spring to her eyes and she couldn't explain why.

"What's the matter Evelyn?" he asked as he pressed his forehead to hers. "Tell me what you're thinking."

"I-I'm terribly lonely here," she blurted out without thinking..

He pulled away from her. There was no mistaking his sadness.

"I'd like to send for my friend Lady Ann, but you've forbidden my friendship with her!" Evelyn continued, "And even Philip has been sent away-"

"I did not send Philip anywhere!" he interjected with a tightening of his jaw. "Philip is not a gentleman of leisure. What income he has, he has from me. In return he attend to interests of mine, wherever they may be."

"But what of Lady Ann?" Evelyn insisted on knowing. In her fervor to plead for her friend, she missed Lord Davenport's the slight grimace. "Why would you forbid me to see her?"

"It's not for you to question my decisions," he said flatly. At Evelyn's determined look, he relented a bit. "We'll invite Charlotte's entire family here for the summer-"

"Charlotte is a wonderful friend, and I'm glad to have her," she replied. "But she has her own family, her own household to look after. Edward says I'm too aloof, too cold to make friends easily. But Lady Ann offered me her wisdom and friendship without purpose or agenda when when I had the most need for kindness. I can't forget the service she rendered me! Not ever! You may banish her from my life, but you can't banish her from my heart."

Lord Davenport was gripped by her passion and sincerity. His expression softened as caressed her cheek . "You're loyal to your friends."

"It's a necessary ingredient to friendship," she replied.

He nodded slowly. "I agree. You may - invite Lady Ann to visit if that makes you happy. Someday, perhaps you and I too may share such a friendship."

If his words sounded odd, Evelyn didn't notice. Her cheeks dimpled and she leaned forward to kiss his cheek in gratitude. He leaned into her to breath in her soft fragrance. She felt his need rise but rather than kissing her again, he pulled away however reluctantly.

"You're right Evelyn," he said looking past her at the fire again. "I am rather tired. Go back to bed now and we'll see each other in the morning. "

Lord Davenport turned away from Evely's look of shock and disappointment to continue to stare into the fire. Sometime after she left, a large man bearded in a long overcoat silently entered Lord Davenport's room.

"Tell me again," said his lordship, his eyes never leaving the dancing flames.

"Lady Davenport met the young man down by the fishing pond this afternoon," said the gruff man. "Their meeting last a full five minutes and then the gentlemen road off again. They appeared to know each other as I heard her call him by his Christian name and twice I heard him refer to her as 'Evie"-"

His lordship gestured for the man to continue. "On two occasions he kissed her hands and they stood quite close. He did not touch her in any other way. But as your earlier question, yes they do appear to know each other very well, though it's hard to judge how intimate-"

"What did they speak of?"

"As I said before , I was too far away to hear their conversation, my lord. After he returned to town where he's taken rooms at the Inn. He paid for just two nights."

"This Ainsley Elwood, he's related to the Banks family, you say?"

"Brother-in-law to the former Miss Banks, now Lady St.James. She's recently arrived to visit her father and Mr. Elwood came too. He dined at the Banks house this evening." After a brief pause, the large, gruff man cleared his throat. "As for Mr. Elwood, sir- He's, the last several years he'd been traipsing across the Continent-"

Lord Davenport held up a hand. "No need. I know all about Mr. Elwood!"

He dismissed the manservant with a nod and continued to sit and stare into the fire for a long time.

********************

All night, Evelyn tossed and turned. If she dreamed, she had no memory of it. She was restless, feverish. Her whole body screamed with aching need.

Why did he send her back to her room without touching her? Not even an attempt to part her robe! Has he tired of her already?

The last time he returned after a journey away, he came bounding up to her boudoir and tore into her with such hunger, that the memory of it made Evelyn flush and tremble every time she thought of it. Then her mind made a fast visit to each and every one of their slow lingering couplings, to the more urgent ruttings.