Duplicity - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ann diverted her attention to Elwood and Evelyn huddled ever closer together. "We ought to consider Lady Davenport's generous offer to host us. She is a dear, dear friend, after all. It would be terribly rude not to."

"Yes. It'll be rather difficult to make other arrangements now."

"Perhaps your husband-"

"I shan't bother him with something so trivial," Bess answered quickly. "I'm sure Ainsley would agree. Summering here is the logical solution."

Ann's feline eyes narrowed as she smiled kindly at Bess. "I'm afraid I'm too stupid to understand political matters."

"Besides, we would be most ungracious to reject Lady Davenport's invitation to stay."

"Whatever you think is best, my dear," Ann replied. She busied herself refreshed Bess's tea, then her own. "Forgive me, my dear, for speaking out of turn, but I can't help wonder how in heaven Lord Davenport failed to notice your loveliness growing up so close to the Hall."

"Yes. Well. His time was often divided between here and his other estates," Bess confessed imperiously with a toss of her golden curls. "And I had always thought him too grim and important."

"Oh, of course."

"I was young and wanted romance. I thought the ideal man ought to pick flowers and read poetry."

Ann was only half listening. Something far more interesting was happening over Bess's slender shoulders. Ann cast a pointed look at Bess, then over towards Evelyn clutching Elwood's forearm. But Bess paid her no mind lost in her own musings.

"Of course I was very well received at my coming out," Bess went on, with a little frown as she searched for excuses. "I had so many offers- A celebrated beauty I was called. And Lord Davenport attended no balls. I don't believe our paths ever crossed in the city. I thought the title viscount just rolls off the tongue. Very French sounding. Much more interesting than marquess-."

As Ann watched, Evelyn had taken a step away from Elwood and was now clutching the pendant around her neck. Ann felt her fists clench in response. "You chose well with Lord St. James. He is young, smart, and his title is very old and distinguished."

Again, at the mention of her husband, Bess struggled to keep her demeanour light. " Our children will have the blood of kings. If only my sister followed my example. Instead, she marries Mr Wilkes. I shouldn't say this of my sister's new husband, but they say he sells rumours and gossip to those publications. Can you imagine?"

Ann darted her expressive eyes from Bess to whispering couple with more urgency. Desperate for Bess to take her subtle meaning. Yet the unsuspecting Bess prattled on. Ann had to bite the insides of her cheek as she watched Evelyn slip her necklace off and dropping it quickly into Elwood's palm.

Out of patience, Ann said to Bess. "Tell me, how long have your husband's brother known Lady Davenport?"

Bess blinked her large vacant eyes. "I don't believe they know each other at all before today. Remember how eager he was to see for himself her great beauty? I do hope he's not too disappointed."

"Men do seem to fawn over Lady Davenport. Silly sods."

"Can't imagine why," Bess blurted out, then recovered herself. "I suppose she's pleasant to look at in certain light. But there's something ghastly about her expression."

"Men's tastes are mysterious. What's charming one moment repulses them the next? And a woman's never quite as fresh after she's had, children."

Bess thoughtfully chewed on her lower lip as she finally turned towards Evelyn and Elwood still huddled together. "Do you suppose she's with child?"

"Possible."

Both ladies looked over at Evelyn still deep in conversation with Elwood. "But how might she, silly girl, sustain the interest of Lord Davenport."

Ann kept her true thoughts buried. "I do wonder, as often as he travels to the city, it can't all be state matters. And he's not the sort to be content to simply racehorses and gamble."

"She does seem rather taken with Ainsley-"

"Mr Elwood has some of her brother's good looks. Only more- earthy, I'd say."

"-Look how she practically throws herself at him. It's rather unseemly for her to flirt so. Did you not tell me of some intrigue involving Lord Davenport's cousin and Lady Davenport?"

"Not I, my dear," Ann replied hastily, pointedly. "I'm certain you and I both heard it from Lady Warwick first. It might have been in the papers..."

*********************************

When Sir. Richard's household came trickling in through the rain with their meagre bundles of salvaged belongings, the house was in an uproar. So much activity. Much to be done. Evelyn barely noticed Elwood had departed back to the village. Beds were set up for the extra bodies according to their station. Clean sheets, clothing and provisions had to be found. Every stove and hearth boiled water between stewing broths, to wash off all the dirt and soot on stunned faces. Cook and the kitchen maids rushed about to bake bread to feed the newcomers. Evelyn set about slicing bread and meats with the kitchen staff, till her wrists were red and numb. Perhaps it was the excitement or heat that made her flush and feel faint. She had a bit of tea but daren't eat. Not after being sick after each meal for weeks now.

Evelyn found a surprisingly tender ally in the stern housekeeper, who was at her side through the chaos. Providing quick hands and gentle guidance. For once, none hesitated under Evelyn's command.

It was so very late when the Hall finally settled. Evelyn made her way to her chambers on leaden legs. She let Martha unlace her before sending her maid off to bed. She must have fallen asleep immediately for the next time her eyes opened, she could feel how late it was. Only she was not alone. She was safely enveloped in her husband's warm, safe embrace.

She purred and snuggled against him. His heartbeat against hers. "My lord, am I dreaming?"

He brushed his lips lightly across her downy cheek. "You need a maid capable of putting you to bed properly."

She had been so tired she fell asleep on top of the bed covers, still dressed. But her fatigue quickly melting away. She rolled over in his arms with her hungry lips raised towards his.

He must have washed hastily as his thick hair felt wet. But beneath his shirt, she could still feel and smell his sweat and smoke. Had he come to her stinking of manure and mud, she would have clung to him just as closely.

Marital duties they called it. The impression was it was to be endured by a wife for the sake of her husband. Truthfully, Evelyn adored every moment of it.

When she reached for the fastenings of her gown, he caught her wrists and held her down firmly. There was an all too familiar hunger in his gaze as he took in every line of her face. With his long, slender nose he nuzzled the curve of her throat to breathe deeply.

She craved his roughness. His overwhelming force. Only, tonight, he was in a mood to be tender, unhurried. A small frustrated sob bubbled up in her throat when his lips reached the swells of her breasts. He nuzzled against her breast, then pushed aside her bodice to teased her pert pink nipple. One after the other. Just when she thought he might peel back the fabric he moved up to brush his lips against her brow again.

"Please," she uttered in a breathy moan.

He rolled over her and trapped her beneath his weight. She arched up to meet his lips with hers, but he held himself just out of reach. Twice she tried. Twice he denied her. Instead he licked his lips, teasing her with his refusal. Then suddenly he swooped down. The kiss didn't end until her lips were swollen, and she gasped for breath.

He reached into her unlaced bodice to cup her breasts, kneading them, weighing them before bending to kiss each one in turn.

She kicked aside the layers of her skirts to wrap her long slender legs around his hips. Only that wasn't what he wanted. His hands and lips travelled down her length, pulling aside fabric to reveal her smooth skin as he went. At last, he found her soft pelt. For a moment he simply breathed in her musk before diving in.

Her head rolled back. Body arched back violently as her desire poured into his hungry mouth. The scent of her pungent desire perfumed the room. He always managed to drive her to insanity. What he did between her legs made her bite her fingers to suppress her screams.

Somewhere in the bowels of the Hall, Ann heard those muffled cries of pleasure. She knew exactly what they were, who uttered them and the cause. part of her wanted to tear at her own hair to dull her own agony.

It was too indulgent. Too decadent. Evelyn couldn't take it much longer but he had her trapped.

"Please-" she panted. What was she asking for?

His quivering wet tongue was determined to drive her mad.. This was madness. She gasped for air. She saw stars. Her heart couldn't contain it much longer. The world disappeared into itself in a blinding white burst.

And then-

She floated somewhere overhead in a murky pleasant blackness. Until she heard him calling her name. She had to obey. He had her cradled in his strong arms, against his well-muscled chest. She loved the way his rough fingers traced her cheeks and chin. That's when she noticed the bandage on that hand. "You're hurt."

He ignored her worry. "I'm sorry our journey was interrupted."

Yes, she was sorry too. But it was selfish to lament an aborted journey when their neighbour's family home was in rubles. She stroked his thick, wet hair, gazing up at his face adoringly. "Have they given you tea? I'll ring for-"

"I'd rather stay as we are." With an arm around her, he dropped back against the feather pillows, eyes shut.

She snuggled against his broad chest, still tingling from head to toe. "I've invited Lady St. James and Lady Ann to stay." Her fingers drew patterns on his chest. He sighed. "Was that wrong? I didn't want to disrupt their plans to summer here. We must invite Sir. Richard too, of course."

"Sir. Richard stays in the village. It's much closer to his lands. He'll want to rebuild as soon as possible."

"Surely not straight away."

"If he wishes."

"He ought to rest, man his age. We must urge him-"

Her husband squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose wearily. "I won't tell another man how to manage his home and land. I put all I have at his disposal. How he decides to utilize them is for him to decide."

"Of course, you know best." She perched up on one elbow and noticed for the first time a steaming tub set up for a bath in the middle of the room. Candlelight danced off its shining surface. "When did they bring a bath? I hope the water hasn't cooled."

A corner of his lips curled upwards, almost mischievously. He sat up to shrug out of his shirt while Evelyn reached down the length of his long legs to remove his boots. His trousers soon followed. She caressed up the length his muscled calves, with its deep scars to his powerful thighs. He was a carved statue. Hard. But hot to the touch. She looked up and came face to face with his cock. It stuck out towards her through its woolly black nest, thick and heavy. Such a strange, lewd thing, that seemed impossibly apart of him. Far more impossible that it's been inside her. The memory of each time it tore her, hallowed her insides, made a layer of sweat bead over her skin. How could she explain her need to feel it's delicious pain again?

Heart pounding, trembling slightly she cupped her hands around it to feel it harden and grow. Before she thought too deeply, she leaned forward, reverently, to kiss the pink bulbous tip.

The moment her pillowy lips touched him, he flinched as if scorched. The movement was so quick and abrupt, she tumbled back. She would have fallen off the bed had he not caught her by the waist and quickly wrapped her in his embrace. Skin pressed against hot, bare skin.

"Careful." His cold blue eyes were glowing with a strange light. "You'll hurt the child."

Her gaze flew up to search his face. "You- you know?"

"Do you imagine they'd keep such a thing from me?"

Her shock quickly turned to acceptance. Of course, the servants knew her condition. "No. I suppose there are no secrets from you."

He cupped her chin to make her face him. "Would you want to? Keep secrets?"

"I suppose not." Could he read her deepest desires now? How desperate she was to feel him inside her till she could burst. Why did he delay?

He scooped her up, effortlessly in his arms. She noticed nothing else until that first tingle of hot water on her bare skin as he lowered her into the steaming bath.

"Your wound, sir," she protested when he climbed in with her. "Do take care or it shan't heal properly."

But his bandaged was soon soaked through.

When he finally releases her, Evelyn splashed out of the tub, hastily wrapped herself in a robe, then went in search of her medicine kit. He too rose up in the tub, leaving a trail of water dripped onto the floor as he dried off. She waited for him to pull his trousers back on, before leading him to a seat. She knelt beside him to tenderly unwrapped the wet bandage. The wound was raw, blistered but at least the blisters were not broken. He watched her face as she applies an ointment before wrapping it neatly in a clean bandage.

"My lord," she said, holding his hand tenderly. She could barely utter the next words. "You once asked me never to invite gossip-"

He sat back, lightly running his fingertips over her smooth cheeks. "Now there's talk, of you and Philip."

"You're not angry?"

"Should I be?" He found the pins in her hair. Her thick, silky tresses came tumbling in luxurious cascades around her shapely shoulders to his quiet delight.

"But I thought-"

He twirled a lock of her dark hair around two fingers and brought it to his nose. "Is that why you're tending to me with such sweetness? Hmm? To placate me?"

Was there mirth in his deep, velvety voice? "My lord, I swear it's not true, what they're saying-"

"Poppet, if I believed a word of it, this would be a very different conversation."

With a deep sigh of relief, she dropped her head to rest her face in his lap. She shut her eyes to his long fingers combing through her tresses. "It's too cruel."

His fingers paused a moment, then gently stroked the back of her neck. "I didn't want to trouble you with this. But I suppose one of your guests simply couldn't resist gossiping."

Evelyn was about to correct him but something kept her from uttering Ainsley Elwood name. "Thank you for not believing it," she said instead.

He moved his hand away. "Stand."

She rose up gracefully between his long legs and held very still for him to explore what laid beneath the folds of her loose robe. He dragged his pale gaze slowly up the length of her. "I believe only what I see."

"You've kept me here- to protect me?"

He stroked her flat belly, that showed no sign yet of the life within. "There's no reason for you to trust me, but I'll always protect you."

"I do- trust you," she confessed, slightly breathless. Her body still tingled from his touch. There was not a single part of her he hadn't touched, tasted. Yet, she never felt more exposed than she did then. Those eyes watching her glowed with an icy fire. "You'll put a stop to this nonsense, then?"

"How?" He looked amused.

Evelyn wasn't expecting that question. "I'm sure with your influence-"

"Put a stop to malicious rumours? Not even God has that power."

"Surely you can make them see reason."

"And who might they be?" She had the distinct feeling he was quietly laughing at her as he sat, spawled in that chair.

"Don't you know?"

"How can I? Where do gossip originate when none will claim authorship."

Evelyn began to recite: " 'Upon my tongues continual slanders ride, the which in every language I pronounce, stuffing the ears of men with false reports. I speak of peace while covert enmity under the smile of safety wounds the world.'"

"'Rumour is, what? Some pipe blown by surmises, jealousies, conjectures-'" Lord Davenport continued for her before flicking his fingers at invisible dust. "Or some such. Yes, we all know the evil effects of lies, but one cannot force a change in behaviour, however detestable."

Before Evelyn could reply he pulled her to him for a deep, dizzying kiss. His lips tasted faintly of her. But what he did with his tongue-

Then he stood up with her still cradled in his arms and crossed the room back to her bed. She shivered when he laid her on the bed and left a trail of kisses as he crawled up the length of her slender legs, over her curved hips for the soft mounds of her breasts again. Her back arched sharply when she felt his tongue drag over a nipple. His gaze never once left hers as he licked and sucked on, then the other.

"If you were anyone else," he murmured huskily. His greedy hands parted her thighs. "The things I would do to you."

"I- 'm yours-"

"Are you?" He rose over her and scanned her face. "Can you belong to anyone?"

The sudden longing in his expression brought made her heartache. Inexplicable tears rose to her eyes. She threw her arms around him, to kiss away his sorrow, even if she didn't know what caused it.

When he reached into his trousers and fished out his cock she was ready for him. Or so she thought. Even after all these months as his wife, she still winced and gasped sharply when he ploughed through her narrow passage, hallowing her. Her barely healed flesh tore again, but she forced herself to bite back a cry, knowing he'd stop if he thought he'd hurt her. Her pain and discomfort were nothing. Only his needs mattered. Each downwards stroke stole her breath. She spread her thighs wider for him as he hammered deeper and deeper, his breath more and more shallow. He was trying his best to keep his control, but it was slipping away. A thin layer of sweat covered his skin.

The heavy bed groaned and shook them. Eventually, the battering had to reach its crescendo. A strangled cry ripped from his chest and he let out a shattering roar.

Evelyn clung to his broad shoulders when he collapsed over her. It might have been hours or minutes as he trembled through his climax. Then he rolled away and dropped against the bed heavily. Spent.

These moments, after, filled her with such dread. It was her guess if he'd stay or return to his own chambers. Sometimes he wasn't completely slaked until he rode her again. But tonight Evelyn could feel his weariness. It had been a long and arduous day.

Evelyn tried to keep her face hidden when she felt the bed shift when he rose. She drew her knees to her chest, releasing a stream of fluids to trickle from between her legs. She steeled herself for that dreaded sound of her door shutting behind him. Only, the sound didn't come. Instead, he came back with a cloth to dry her thighs. Then something cold and heavy dropped down on her bare throat, startling her from her misery.

"What's this?" She struggled to sit up for a better look at a string of cold stones in her hands. Every movement made her body ache deliciously. A thick band of several large sapphires set in ornate gold glittered in her hands. They were clustered with paler stones and pearls.

"Sapphires to match your eyes. Seven in all. A pearl cluster between each, except at the fourth gem. That extra pearl contains a place to hang a pendant if you'd like. Now if you divided the length into two parts at the fourth gem. Take the longer part, divided by the shorter, you'll see it equals the length divided by the longer part. You see, it's-"

"The golden ratio." Evelyn was surprised and delighted.

He planted a light kiss on her cheek, and another on her plush lips. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful," she replied, her voice husky.

"Wear it for me?" He took the jewelled band wrapped it snugly around her slender throat with a kiss. "All the other jewels I'd given you were made for others. They didn't suit you. Perhaps this is a more worthy token to mark my wife's birthday."

123456...8