Duxford Airfield (the band) Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The newspaper article in that clipping explains everything except what kind of bomber it was that crashed, it doesn't specify if the aircraft was American or British. The free world Allies were so desperate for more aircraft during this humanitarian mission that actual bombers were, in some cases, used to transport the food and fuel going to Berlin, there simply were no other aircraft.

...As I've said, the free world Allies were at this time, trying to win the hearts and minds of the German people. Its also my belief that David Wickersham was making peace within himself by flying food to his once sworn enemy.

I would also speculate that the elderly Black gentleman, that Alan Astrachan told us about, had strongly encouraged David to join the humanitarian effort in aiding the German people. That mission was known as The Berlin Airlift. This would have undoubtedly been suggested by the elderly Black gentleman as way for David to conquer his fear of Germany and her people, once and for all.

The song which we just read the lyrics to, Across The Pond, was written by Danny Wickersham and mentions a 'Candy Bomber.' This term came about when the Air Lift pilots and crews began dropping small parachutes of candy to the German children. This one single act, alone, went a very long way in winning the hearts and minds of the German people. Much of the hate and resentment between the Germans and Allies vanished with that one act of kindness.

...As you must recall, ladies, the headstone for David Wickersham was inscribed with 'An angel on earth, and now Heaven as well'.

Danny Wickersham wrote the song, Across The Pond, himself. It was his own father, David Wickersham, that had obviously been one of the Candy Bombers during The Berlin Airlift" I said quietly.

"...There's the answer to your last question, Helen. Now you can finish the book and submit it to the publisher" Andrea said wiping her eyes.

"I never knew. Danny never told us any of this, Tim, I just never knew" Helen said wiping her own eyes.

...The three of us had a wonderful dinner that evening with my brother Ricky and his wife Brenda. It was so good to be home again. During one point of the evening I quietly reflected that the two weeks spent researching the life of Danny Wickersham, with Andrea and Helen, was an experience that I would never want to repeat. Yet, it was also an experience that I wouldn't have missed for the world...

...On the twenty-fifth of February, Andrea and Helen flew into Los Angels to attend the celebration of life for Danny Wickersham, I didn't go. I instead, spent the next few days travelling with my little brother Ricky and our cousin Myron. We had thrown an old camper onto Ricky's battered Ford pickup truck and gone fishing. It was a much needed time of R&R for the three of us and we had also taken Ricky's loyal dog, Yogi.

Upon our return to Arizona City we found Helen's vintage Buick parked in the driveway. This was the same Buick that the Countess had purchased, brand new, for Danny Wickersham upon his arrival home from Vietnam in nineteen-sixty-eight. Ricky and I then spent the next three days working on the car for Helen. We did a complete brake job, replaced the water pump and also did a major tune up on the Buick.

One afternoon while Ricky and I were installing new tires on the car, Andrea came out and informed us that Helen's publisher had accepted her Book's final draft. The entitled book, "THE GENTLE GIANT, The Life and Times of Danny Wickersham and Duxford Airfield" would be released within a few months.

Andrea then pulled me aside, out of earshot of Ricky.

"Tim, Helen's boyfriend will be here this afternoon. They're going to have a heart to heart talk now and see if they can salvage their relationship. Would you mind sticking around to show Helen your support?" my wife asked.

"What time does the guy get here?" I asked.

"He gets here around four PM, Tim" my wife answered.

"Ricky and I should have Helen's car done by the time he gets here, and I'll stick around" I assured Andrea.

"Thank you" my wife said, kissing me.

...Ricky had already gone home and I was buffing the Buick by the time a small rental car approached the house. A man, close to my age and build, then stepped out of the rental and approached me.

"Tim?" I asked as I set down the buffer and extended my hand.

"Yes, and I take it that you're Tim, as well" the man said taking my hand in a firm handshake.

"I am, c'mon inside and I'll get you a cold drink" I said, leading the way.

I led the man inside and offered him a Pepsi and also a place to sit.

"How were the roads, Tim?" I casually asked as I sat down opposite the man.

Tim never got a chance to answer me before Helen and Andrea entered the room.

Tim and I both stood as the ladies neared us.

"...Helen, I, uh, its, I'm sorry that I," the man began to stammer.

Within a single heartbeat the two were in each other's arms, with each of them weeping uncontrollably.

My wife and I quietly went outside and walked over toward the Buick.

"...Apparently they still care about each other. So far, so good, I guess" Andrea said closing her eyes and running a hand through her hair as a tear went down her cheek.

"They've obviously got a lot to talk about, Andrea. Want to go for a bike ride now?" I asked, rolling up the power cord for the buffer.

"Yeah, let's do that, Tim" my wife nodded.

...Andrea and I rode our bicycles twenty miles that afternoon. When we returned home Helen and Tim were sitting together outside on the porch swing. The two of them, with faces flush, looked as if they'd each had a good long cry.

Approaching the two on our bicycles, Tim and Helen stood and greeted us.

"...Tim and I are going to go back to L.A., my publisher wants to meet with me tomorrow afternoon so we're going to get an early start and head home tonight, you guys" Helen said quietly.

Without another word then, Andrea and Helen stood in a long teary eyed embrace as Tim and I shook hands again.

Helen then released Andrea and turned toward me.

"Tim, I love you and Andrea, very much" was all she said.

"...Helen, I kind of got used to having you around, we love you too. I hope it works between you and Tim" I said as I took Helen in a hug.

"It will, this time" she answered, with more tears in her eyes.

I couldn't help it, but I had tears in my eyes also.

"We love you, Helen Lunsford. Godspeed my friend and please hurry back" I said, as I kissed the side of her head.

Andrea and I watched them drive away in the two cars.

"...I don't think I'll ever be the same again, after meeting Helen Lunsford, wife" I said, staring after them.

"Neither will he" my wife answered, taking my hand.

__________ Epilogue __________

In the weeks that followed, Andrea and I donated our proceeds from Prominent House to a local orphanage. We were told that our donation would go toward, of all things, the new construction an Olympic sized swimming pool. Helen Lunsford donated her proceeds from Prominent House to the same orphanage, as well.

During the summer of that year Tim and Helen were married, vowing never to take one another for granted, ever again.

As promised by Alan Astrachan, we later received copies of the vinyl record "CASTLE OF WEEDS, Ovia Epps." Listening to the album only reaffirmed that Danny Wickersham had been greatly inspired by his grandmother's musical talents.

In early March, Helen's autobiography of Danny Wickersham, entitled: The Gentle Giant, was released to the public with raving reviews of praise. During the summer of twenty-twenty-three the book made the Best Sellers list and stayed there for five weeks.

Later in the month of March, Andrea and I received an entire case of the book's copies. Upon opening the book's cover was the oval photograph of a man in Uniform and the words "This book is dedicated to Franklin Epps, a man who once captivated a pretty girl's heart." On the next page was written "The writing of this book was made possible, in large part, due to the efforts of Tim and Andrea - I love you always: Kathryn Dalloway"

Over the next week, Andrea and I each read the book and discovered that it was fun reading. Helen had kept the telling of Danny Wickersham's life simple, yet historically accurate. No mention was made of Isaac King nor Prominent House. Yet, Helen did express abundant praise for the Countess, referring to her only as Ovia Epps, Danny's musically gifted grandmother.

There were several color photos, starting with Danny's immediate family and leading up to highlights within the band, Duxford Airfield. There was also a photograph of the small sailboat which I had picked up from the debris field when the swimming pool inside Prominent House had collapsed. Danny himself had crafted the small boat, as a child.

Helen's book also had a disclaimer at story's end, indicating that Helen had only recently uncovered mountains of additional new information regarding Danny Wickersham's life. There was an internet link included on the last page of the book which Helen encouraged her readers to view, free of charge.

Undoubtedly Helen was still finding new information regarding Danny within the memoirs of the Countess and Mary Wickersham, which Helen was now openly sharing with her readers.

Andrea and I sat down and viewed Helen's web page one afternoon and quickly discovered many more photographs of Danny Wickersham and his family. There were also video links that showed the Countess interacting with Danny, as an infant. The young lady interacting with her grandson didn't look like a countess or an oil baroness. She didn't look like a sex or opium addict. What she looked like was a young grandmother, hopelessly in love with her first and only grandchild.

That's how I like to remember her...