Dwelling in Desire Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
joodle
joodle
539 Followers

"Ick, city hall? Forget that! You should have flowers and cake and a wedding party, and a honeymoon!" I declared.

"Well we more or less just got done with the honeymoon," she blushed, "But yeah, I want a nice proper wedding. Small, but beautiful, with my closest friends and family."

"Well, if..." I didn't want to be presumptuous. "If you're overwhelmed, I'd be happy to help. I do have a flair somewhat for the visual aspects of wedding design. I'm not a coordinator by any means, but I can at least help you look at venues, and flowers, and dresses and such."

"Would you??" Kate grabbed my hand. "Oh my God, what a relief. I've felt so alone in this, with Joe back to work full time now. I just want to be married. Properly. I'd love it if you could help, Beth. I thought about calling my mom, but I have a feeling she'd be too upset by the unplanned pregnancy to make the wedding planning an enjoyable experience."

"Well it should be enjoyable!" I squeezed her hand in assurance. "I'm pretty opinionated, but I'll try to keep myself in check while we plan. It's your special day!"

"Thanks," Kate grinned.

"So, what are you thinking? Pink? Purple? Roses? Daisies?"

"God, I don't know," Kate shook her head. "I just want it...pretty."

"Well, pretty I can do," I smiled. "Tell you what, why don't we get together sometime next week, and I can show you some ideas? Now that Curt's project is nearing a lag period, I have some extra time."

"Wow, that would be great," she sighed in relief. "Why don't we do lunch on Wednesday? Joe might be taking me to visit his parents next weekend, depending on how the trial goes."

"Oh, meeting the parents! I guess it makes sense to meet them sooner rather than later huh?" I teased.

"That's generally been the pattern for Joe and me," Kate grinned. "Absolutely nothing slow, except for orgasms when I piss him off."

"Eww Kate," I admonished. "TMI!"

"Oh please Beth," she laughed. "Grow up, and talk a little dirty for once."

"Nothing dirty to comment on here," I groaned.

"Hmm, that's sad. Curt is absolutely hot, I can attest. I just met him last week, and yyow! Joe was positively on edge by the time he left."

"Did he flirt with you?" I asked casually, detesting the mild jealousy that burned in my chest.

"Not exactly," she giggled. "It was joking, more to irk Joe than anything else."

"I see," I tried to keep a neutral expression.

"Do I detect a note of jealousy from Miss Professional?" Kate teased. "Jeez Beth, if you like him, just tell him! He's a hot commodity for God's sake."

"I can't. We have a pact not to flirt, or tempt each other, in the interest of our contract."

"Ehh, fuck the contract," Kate dismissed.

"Kate, this is the first major high end project I've had. The big time," I explained. "With the potential of this project to launch my career to the next level, I can't just blow it off for...sex, or a relationship or whatever. Especially since it's a coin toss whether it would last."

"Hmm," Kate murmured in consideration. "I suppose I understand where you're coming from. It's too bad. He is very sweet. And funny. And hot. And rich."

"Thanks for the support," I grumbled.

"Aww sweetie, I'm sorry. I think it's commendable that you're trying to keep things on a professional footing. It's how it should be. I get that. But maybe, just maybe, this is one of those situations where you need to take a chance. There will be other projects. I know it doesn't seem that way, but you have many years ahead of you," Kate reasoned.

"Says the young woman living the high life with a big time lawyer sex god," I laughed bitterly. "You should see my place Kate. I'm ready to get out of that tiny rented bedroom, and be a freaking grown up for a change!"

"We all have to start somewhere," Kate added.

"Yes, we do," I smirked in resentment. "I started there, and this is my chance to move forward. Gain some publicity, some recognition of the quality work I can produce. Until now, it's been micro budget jobs—worthy of a Camcorder and scrapbook that never ventures off the shelf. Curt's project is worthy of a professional photographer and publication. I finally have a chance to make it big, and I can not risk it going off the rails for what would likely be a brief fling at best."

We sat in silence for a few moments, before I realized what a bitch I'd been.

"I'm sorry Kate," I covered her hand with mine. "I know you meant well. I...I think Curt is amazing. Gorgeous. Intelligent. Hilarious. I'll say it! I'm borderline infatuated with him. But I just can't!"

"I know," she whispered. "You are much stronger than I, Beth. You're so strong."

"I'm weak," I corrected. "I would have let Curt have his way with me. I wouldn't have stopped him. Just because he backed off and did the right thing doesn't make me strong."

"Beth, if you can resist pursuing him, you are strong. I didn't have it in me to resist Joe. I should have, but I gave in. I'm a happier woman for it, but you have different issues to consider."

"Yeah," I grumbled, annoyed more than ever at myself. "But enough about that. Talk to me about what you want for your wedding Kate."

"Beth," she tried.

"No, we're talking about you Kate. I have research to do, and I want to know what you're envisioning."

"Well," she sighed, "I want small. Like thirty guests, tops. I don't have a huge family, and most of them are estranged."

"But what about color? And venue?"

"Well, Joe seems to enjoy red, and pink," she fingered her necklace, which I hadn't noticed until now. "I kinda like yellow too, but I don't know."

"You thinking church wedding, or beach wedding, or what?" I prompted.

"Wow, a beach wedding sounds amazing. I hadn't thought of that. Besides, I can't really see Joe in a church," she laughed.

"Not a God fearing man?" I smirked.

"Certainly not that he's let on," she giggled.

"Should I be concerned?" I raised an eyebrow.

"No, Joe loves me. He treats me like a queen. And he is ecstatic about the baby. He will take care of us and love us. That's all that matters."

"Agreed," I smiled. "Well I'll see what I can throw together for Wednesday."

"Sounds perfect," she grinned.

---

"So Darling, did you have a nice time today with your friend?" Joe murmured into my ear as he dropped his jacket and wrapped me in his arms.

"Mmhmm," I confirmed. "It was so great to get together with Beth! She's even gonna help me with the wedding!"

"Oh, is she a wedding planner?" Joe asked, his hands wandering mischievously down my back, betraying his disinterest.

"No, she's a decorator, but she thought she could offer some expertise on color and flowers and such," I explained, making myself cozy on his warm chest.

His hands stilled.

"A decorator? Beth...not...Bethany Jenkins?" Joe asked softly.

"So Curt's mentioned her then?" I looked up.

"Not in so many words," Joe frowned. "Curt refused to talk about her, but I did some digging and got her information."

"Joe!" I scolded, slapping him on the arm.

"What? I have a right to know what's bothering Curt. He's been a pain in my ass ever since I got back to work," Joe grumbled.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he's been acting strangely. He left work early two days in a row, one of which I know he was meeting her. He refused to comment when I confronted him about it."

Joe shook his head, a bewildered expression marring his handsome features.

"How did you know about their affiliation anyway?" Joe asked, befuddled.

"We had an afternoon of merry girl talk Joe. Of course I found out!"

"I see," he smirked.

"So Curt was...defensive, when you asked him about her?"

"As I've ever seen him, which is saying something," Joe chuckled. "Not to sound like a gossipy teenage girl or anything, but I think he might be attracted to her."

"I think it's more than an attraction," I giggled, a goofy smile forcing it's way onto my face.

"What makes you say that pet?" Joe asked, leaning forward, giving credence to his mention of teenage girly gossip.

"Don't tell him I told you, or Beth for that matter, but Curt hit on Beth."

"You don't say?" he purred. "Son of a bitch. Anything come of it?"

"Negative. Beth said they both agreed to keep their distance, in the interest of professionalism."

"Intriguing," Joe drawled. "Well isn't this a bizarre turn of events?"

"To say the least," I agreed. "Now, if you've had enough girly gossip Joe, how about paying your pregnant fiancée some attention?"

"I'll pay you some attention," he grinned. "Question is, will you be happy about it?"

"I hope to hell not," I teased.

"Little whore," Joe whispered.

"Mmhmm," I agreed before he pinned me with his kiss.

---

Friday

"The State of Illinois rules in favor of the defense, Donatello Ruiz and Ruiz Trustees. Court is adjourned."

It was bittersweet, as always, hearing the gavel sound as the judge ruled in our favor. Joe and I had busted our asses making preparations all weekend. It had been close. Very close. But Joe'd pulled it off. Thank Christ.

The look on his face was troubling as he gathered his things.

"Hey, you okay?" I approached him.

"Most assuredly," Joe muttered, though his features were still telling. At least to me.

"Let's get out of here," I said as I grabbed the files. "You need a drink."

Joe emitted a grunt of consensus, and we filed out of the courtroom.

---

"So how's Kate? The baby?" I asked, sipping at my club soda.

"Kate is well, she's going in for the ultrasound in a couple weeks."

"That's terrific," I smiled, forcing back the burn of jealousy.

"Yeah, I'm still absorbing the shock. I'm gonna be a fucking father."

I nodded slowly.

"So what now?"

"I'm getting out."

"Out?"

"Of defense law."

"Jesus," I frowned, though I was not entirely surprised. "And what about Ruiz?"

"He'll just have to deal," Joe laughed. "No, I know it's a delicate matter. I'm drafting an NDA, and I'd like you to look it over before I present it to him. Ruiz may be a violent motherfucker, but he's also a reasonable man, and I think if I play it right, he will understand. I want out. I want to relocate and take care of my wife and children. Ruiz will just have to learn how to be okay with that, and if he's not, if a mutual non-disclosure agreement isn't enough for him, well, I'll take what measures I need to."

"Children, as in plural?"

I don't know why I got stuck on that little detail of all things.

"I want a family. I want kids. Yes, plural. I told Kate, and she is in agreement."

"Wow. Criminal defense attorney turned honest family man," I smirked. "I'm thrilled for you Joe, but I have to say I didn't see it coming. Not in a million years."

"No shit," Joe threw back another.

"Will you still practice law?"

"What the hell else am I good for?" Joe snickered.

"Beats the hell out of me," I grinned. "So you're hanging me out to dry then?"

"That depends on you," Joe's expression was cryptic.

"What do you mean?"

"Curt, we've been working together for twelve years. We've been friends for over twenty. We have a chemistry that works for us, and it'd be a shame to shut the door on that."

"Yeah?" I didn't like where he was going with this.

"I'd like to keep you Curt. But this is a significant shift that I don't even know if I am prepared for. You have stronger reasons than I for sticking with defense law. Your passion for it runs deeper. But I know that when it comes to law, you are practical and efficient, and that is all you need to be, regardless of practice or firm."

"You've given this a lot of thought," I muttered.

"Things are different now. What can I say?"

"Indeed," I stared into my glass of less than satisfying soda. "Well I could be persuaded. The longer I do this, defending I mean, the more I realize it isn't going to bring Jake back. It was never gonna bring him back."

Joe nodded, but remained quiet.

"If we're going to do this, it needs to be quick. Not so quick as to stir panic, but quick. Before Ruiz and his men fuck up again," I mused.

"Agreed," Joe leant forward in his chair. "I've spoken to Randall about the situation, and he's working on assembling a team of security."

"Certainly can't hurt," I chuckled.

"Exactly. Plus, Kate and her friend Beth were looking at wedding venues this week, and she has her heart set on this small spa hotel off of Lake Michigan. I want to have Randall and his guys on location the day of."

"Beth?" my ears perked. Idiot.

"Yes, perhaps you know her," Joe grinned. "Bethany Jenkins? Oh that's right! She's your decorator isn't she? Turns out your decorator is Kate's best friend."

"Oh dear God," I groaned, burying my face in my hands.

"And, on a totally unrelated note, you're gonna be my best man Curt. I'm taking Kate up to meet my parents this weekend, but when I get back, you and I are getting fitted for suits. Not tuxes, thank Christ. Kate wants a casual style wedding."

"And Bethany?" I prompted.

"Yes, Beth is gonna be Kate's maid of honor. Yes, you'll have to see her, and yes you may even need to dance with her once or twice."

"I'm not dancing with her," I declared firmly.

"Sure, sure," Joe chuckled as he ordered another drink. "I must say though Curt, for someone who has a strictly professional relationship with this girl, you seem a bit on edge. Why is that?"

"Fuck you Joe," I spat.

"Hmm, I see," Joe smirked.

"So when is the wedding anyway? Have you notified Margot?"

"Well it took some pulling of strings, since this venue is apparently very much in demand, but pending confirmation we should be checking in on September eighth. I'm booking the place out for the weekend. Our families will be staying there, you, Beth, and Margot will have rooms, etcetera. She's thrilled by the way, Margot. Gave me a bit of grief at first, but I'd have expected nothing less."

"Right," I conceded, now staring into space.

Jesus, what the hell was going on? My world was turning upside down.

"Did you want to join Kate and me for dinner tonight? We need to celebrate after all, what with today's win."

"Thanks man, but I think I just need to get home and crash," I declined casually.

"Curt," Joe sighed, "I know this is a shitload to take in, and maybe I could have handled it better, but don't be such a sore-head. This is all good news!"

"Easy for you to say," I growled. "You are marrying Kate. Not being forced to be in the same room with a woman you can't stop thinking about, who can't be yours."

"So you do like her then," Joe pounced.

"Fuck it, yes. I like her!" I admitted angrily. "I like her, okay?"

It felt good to say it aloud, to my best friend. But I was furious that Joe had all but forced it out of me.

"No one is stopping you, but you Curt."

I looked menacingly at Joe, knowing that he meant well, and hating him for being right.

Deciding to work off some of my rage on my punching bag at home, I made my exit.

"Yeah, so anyway, congrats man," I shrugged, adopting a Joe-like dismissive air. "On the win, on your pending nuptials, on the baby. It's all working out for you," I managed a weak smile.

"It can work out for both of us Curt."

"I know," I muttered, eager to escape his penetrating stare. "Have a good time this weekend man. Say hi to your folks for me."

"I'll see you Monday Curt. Get some rest."

---

To be continued...

joodle
joodle
539 Followers
12