All Comments on 'Eighteen a Day?'

by Duleigh

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Thanks for your article and service to our country!

rflikeslitrflikeslitover 1 year ago

All well said …..and horrific ,

ender2k2kender2k2kover 1 year ago

Thank you for your posting. I wish voting was turned on to give five stars.

nthusiasticnthusiasticover 1 year ago

Thank you for your service and your essay. Everyone knows about CPR to save a life, but there is another lifesaving skill called QPR, Question, Persuade, Refer which is one of the most effective tools for prevention of suicide.

Research has shown that many times those who suspect that something is wrong, hesitate to ask if someone is thinking about suicide for fear of triggering. However, the opposite is true, if the thought of self harm is already present, talking about it will probably help.

Ask if they’ve thought about hurting themselves.

If yes, ask if they have a plan. 🚩

If yes, ask if they have the means. 🚩

If yes, ask if they have the intention. 🚩

If yes, ask for their promise to talk to you before taking any action. 🚩

Persuade them to talk to a professional about their feelings.

Refer them to someone who can help, physically taking them if you can.

Remember QPR, Question, Persuade, Refer. Just ask a question. Are you alright? Can I help? Want to talk about it? Is something bothering you? You don’t have to be a doctor to save someone’s life. You just have to care enough to ask.

DuleighDuleighover 1 year agoAuthor

Thank you for your comments and concern, I didn't turn voting on because I didn't think it was appropriate considering the subject. If anyone would like a copy to distribute, please DM me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I am a VIET VET from Australia and we have a large rate of veterans from all our recent and past conflicts killing themselves, its got that bad that they have actually have a Royal commission investigating at the moment, not so many of my time now as there is not so many of us left. Thanks for the above I am glad someone still cares.

woodwardwoodwardover 1 year ago

Well written and sad.

MaroonPrincessMaroonPrincessover 1 year ago

Thank you for shedding light on this tragic topic. Eighteen is too many. I am grateful for being in a supportive, military-mindful family, we have tried to be there for each other. I wish that everyone could have had the support we did.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It's unfortunate, but to the government, a soldier is an asset, and a veteran is a liability. Several years ago, I called the VA suicide prevention line. After eventually talking to a person, I answered his questions... and was told that I wasn't considered at risk, but he would be happy to put me on a waiting list. As I hadn't attempted suicide or had any recent violence involving police, a three month waiting list was the answer. I have to wonder how many veterans on that list contribute to this grim statistic?

Looking down at the pistol on my desk, I had to wonder if the delay was a way to save the VA effort by letting the worst ones die before wasting the effort to treat them.

So - yeah, 22 a day is probably a serious undercount, and considering the amount of money spent versus the actual decrease in the suicide rate, you're right that the money isn't being well spent on this problem. But remember - a veteran is a resource that's been used and discarded, in the eyes of leadership that has never served.

DuleighDuleighover 1 year agoAuthor

Anonymous - you are a very, very valuable asset and don't ever let yourself think that you're not. If you need to talk or if you just want to vent, I'm here for every veteran. Reach out to me via the contact option here and we can burn up a few electrons and chat.

Wonderer67Wonderer67over 1 year ago

Duleigh- you are an impressive writer and have made an excellent argument - I’m pretty sure that veteran suicides are seriously under counted.

The VA is such a joke. It’s too big to work. The people are not the problem, it’s the system. My wife used to work in the medical field, and she always says, “you don’t even want to die in a VA hospital.” I don’t use it at all, but a friend of mine uses it extensively for prescriptions and swears by it.

I’ve actually had some luck with the veterans suicide hotline, 988 has given me some time to just express my concerns, share I’m not feeling well mentally. For me, just taking that step has been helpful. I’ve never had a plan I suppose, but thanks to nthusiastic for the QPR, reminder…

Duleigh, I’d also like to personally thank you for your words of encouragement. You’ve given me a voice that I didn’t think I had and I appreciate our messages. You have made a difference, brother.

Check in on your brothers and sisters this time of year. Thanksgiving and Christmas and other celebrations can be very difficult for many people, more so for veterans.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The American War Library stats refer to Vietnam land and air forces. Anything on Navy and Coast Guard stats? It would be interesting also to know the differential suicide rates of Vietnam combat vets and in country support personnel.

DuleighDuleighover 1 year agoAuthor

Anonymous - unfortunately the USCG has the highest suicide rate of all the services.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Duleigh,

Thank you for the response regarding suicide rates. I wouldn't have guessed USCG having the highest suicide rate. I did a bit of reading up on veteran's suicides and was shocked that more war on terror veterans have committed suicide than have died in combat. While that is a really disturbing statistic perhaps the bright side is that it shows how advanced combat trauma medical procedures have prevented the KIA and Died of Wounds figures from being much higher.

RoperTraceRoperTrace10 months ago

Great article, and thank you for your service. I've heard mostly good things about our local VA facility, that is 50 miles away. We've had multiple experiences with my WWII father-in-law there. The facility is old, but the nurses and doctors were great. I've had contact with some Canadians and their veterans also commit a high number of suicides in relation to the general population.

NorthwestnutcrkrNorthwestnutcrkr7 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to write and publish this. Not a pleasant topic but one sorely in need of telling. Very familiar here. My older boy is USN vet of Desert Sheild/Storm/Iraq War. At present he serves as a volunteer PTSD & hospice counselor for WW2 Korea vets. He recently added Vietnam vets to. His practice, He's also known to help his old man from time to time.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDuleigh@Duleigh
Disabled veteran, learning how to live from the sidelines. Still trying to figure out if I'm writing these stories, or if these stories are writing me. I've given them free rein to flow and now it's time to start publishing, The scores reflect that you like what I am publishin...

story TAGS