Eleanor

Story Info
He paid for a companion but got more than he bargained for.
27.6k words
4.67
36.9k
76
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Paul Booker ducked into the small general store and his eyes went to the man slumped at the counter, looking defeated.

"Look, I know they are worth at least two dollars apiece, I will take one! I need this money! Doc won't come up the mountain for less than twenty dollars hard cash! I need to sell those furs!" The defeated man pleaded.

"I told you Jed, I can't. I am holding a full hundred now that I can't sell. No one is buying around here. If you head south, you can sell them in Butte, maybe. Cain't you bring her down?"

"No, I cain't move her! She'll die. I need to bring the Doc to her!"

Paul circled around the two men and saw a girl in the back. She was tall, slender, and beautiful. She was standing back and watching the two men, her hands clasped in front of her worriedly. He moved closer, coming up behind her, looking closer. Her almost black hair was long and bound up on top of her head in a thick bun. Wisps and strands curled out of it along her neck, long and slender. He moved next to her and her eyes went up to him. Beautiful big brown doe eyes, full lips, pale as a doll and twice as pretty.

She stepped back, frightened and he was used to that. He made an imposing figure and he knew it. Tall, large, his furs making him even bigger than he was. His hair long and wild. His beard was trimmed short, but he knew he still looked like a wild mountain man, because he was.

She quickly skirted away along the table and moved closer to the man who was still trying to get the shopkeeper to buy his furs. She took the man's arm and he patted her arm. "It'll be ok Ellie. Look, Mr Jenkins, I will go to 50 cents apiece. That's a steal and you know it!"

"It is Jed and I wish I could. I already have a hundred furs rotting in my backroom. I can't just pay for trash!"

"Look, I only need twenty dollars. I will give you all of them for twenty dollars! It's my wife's life Mr Jenkins."

"Jed," the man said miserably. "I can't. I don't have it."

Paul moved closer. "How many furs?" he asked gruffly and Jed turned to look up at him.

"Sixty four, all good furs. Beaver, bear, fox, deer, coon, even a few skunk and two mink."

"Mmm. That your daughter?"

"Yes?"

"Have her step outside."

"Ellie? Go wait in the wagon?" Jed said uncertainly.

The girl glanced at Paul fearfully, but went out the front door.

"I will give you fifty dollars for all the furs. I am heading to Butte now. I also want the girl."

"Ellie? No! She's my only girl, and anyways she's a mute. She don't speak."

"Take it or leave it. I have cash. I will treat her well. Marry her. You won't find many better offers for her hand, she is over eighteen and still no prospects I am guessing. You have sons?"

"Four, but Eleanor is my only girl. She's my girl, she's been my tagalong since she could walk!"

"She will be treated well, and when I pass through I will bring her up the mountain to see you." He pulled out his wallet tucked in his waistband and pulled out fifty dollars, holding it up. "Save your wife. Have enough left for you and your boys. Knowing your daughter will be happy."

"You... won't hurt her?"

"No more than I need to," Paul answered gruffly.

"What does that mean? You will hurt her?"

"Not with intent. I'm not a small man, not in any way. Our marriage bed may take a bit of time for her to get used to."

"She won't understand it."

"Does she have her faculties about her? She a mushbrain?"

"No, she's smart as a whip... she just won't understand why I would leave her."

"So say nothing. Leave it to me. I am out of patience. Yes or no?"

Jed hesitated, then reached out and took the money.

Paul nodded. "Go see to the doc, I will unload your wagon," he commanded. He slapped a list down in front of the shopkeeper. "Have this all ready by the time I get back."

He left and went to the wagon the girl was sitting in. "Help me load these into my wagon," he demanded and she jumped. She looked around, wide eyed and saw her father disappearing into the doctor's office. "Ain't got all day girl, start loadin'."

She climbed down warily and began hauling furs to his wagon, stacking them high on the furs already there. He ended up having to take them from her to stack high, she couldn't lift the bundles higher than her shoulders. When he got the last bundle, he tossed her the end of a rope, which she stepped away from and let fall to the ground, looking at him in confusion.

"Pick it up, help me secure this load so it doesn't fall off. Only need two for now, till I get the canvas from the shopkeeper. What are you waiting for? Move over to the other side of the wagon!"

She looked nervously towards the doctors office, but went to the side of the wagon and held the rope as he swung it high over the furs to tie them down. He tossed her another, which she caught this time and did the same thing.

"Come in and help me get my things," he demanded, putting his hand in the small of her back to lead her inside. She tensed and dug her feet in, but he was stronger. He handed her a light bag as he picked up everything else. He led her back out to his wagon. "Take that tarp and climb up on the seat. Unfurl it like you would a sheet on a bed. You understand?"

She picked up that large, heavy canvas and climbed up to stand on the seat and did as she was told. She had to do it four times to get it settled right, but she kept doing it until it was right without having to be told.

"Alright, more ropes. Come on down here, girl and grab these. Hold tight."

He secured four more ropes, wrenching them down as tight as he could. The rest of the bags he tucked under the driver's seat.

"Come here, girl," he commanded.

She glanced at the doctors office, but came around. He lifted her up into the seat. "Check and see the ropes are right and secure." She stood and looked, then nodded. He climbed up into the wagon after her and held a hand out to help her step down off the seat. As soon as she was down, he snapped the reins and the horses moved forward, throwing her into the seat next to him.

She immediately went to jump down, but he caught her arm and held her close. She beat on his arm, and then started kicking him. When that didn't work, she banged on the floorboard with her heels and tried to flag someone down. Paul kept on driving until he was out of town.

"Listen girl. Your pa traded for you. He gave me you in exchange for your ma's life. Don't scowl at me like that. I want no balking, no sassing and don't you even try to pretend you can't sass, I see that look right now. When we stop for camp you will cook and help with everything. Can you cook?"

She nodded with another glare.

"See, that right there. That's sassin'. Not every girl can cook, it's a normal question. How old are you? Twenty? No? Up or down? Nineteen? Good. You aint very strong but we'll work on that. Next town we come to, we'll find a preacher to say the words over us."

She made gestures at him. He didn't know what they meant, but she looked furious. He chuckled. "Girl, you best slow down with all that. I'll learn it in time. Yes, I told your Pa I would marry you, make an honest woman of you. Simmer down. You keep all that up and I will have to turn you over my knee less than a mile in. Your name is Eleanor? Ellie for short? I'm Paul. Not that you need to know that I guess since you can't ever call me by name. Paul Booker. You'll be Ellie Booker soon enough. I want a few things out of the way. You try runnin, I will punish you. I can track anyone, anything. Your Pa sold you, I paid money for you. You are mine. You try me and you won't get a second chance. I will chain you to the wagon. You try and hurt me and it'll go real bad for you. Do you understand? Stop that surly bullish look right now. There's no need for that attitude. I intend to do right by you, but if you act a fool, I will see you set straight right quick."

Ellie crossed her arms and looked away from him.

He laughed again. "I know you can still hear me, so be a brat if you want. I will work it out of you later. You have four brothers. Older or younger? Look at me girl and answer. Both? How many older? Two older and two younger? How much older. Two years and three years. They married? Why not?"

She shrugged.

"They have girls? No one close to you on the mountain? So your brothers, they ever corner you, get you alone and paw on you?"

She looked at him horrified and shook her head emphatically.

"Don't get so defensive, you never know with some mountain folk. So you aint been used?"

Her face turned red and she glared at him, her teeth gritted.

"As your soon to be husband, I have a right to ask these questions, girl."

She made rapid hand gestures, again furious. He laughed at her. She went to smack him and he caught her wrist.

"You ever raise a hand to me again, girl, I will raise mine right back. I'm a good sight bigger than you, I think you'll come out the loser in that contest. How about you try behavin' and stop gettin' so defensive and upset. Be glad your ma will be healed. Be glad a man wanted you, saw enough in you to pay for the honor of taking you for his wife. Some women in your situation may never have that. Learn to be grateful for what you have.

"Do not misunderstand me, you are beautiful and worthy, but not all men see with the right kind of eyes. Stop with the hand wavin'. You'll have to teach me when you can write out what it means. Can you write? Read? Stop with the looks! There ain't no schools around here! Were you born a mute? Alright girl, I am about to throw you over my knee. I ain't been nothin' but nice to you and you are being a spoiled little brat. This can go one of two ways for you. You can have a good, caring husband or you can be my personal slave and treated thusly. You are bought and paid for, I can choose whichever I like. So you decide. Either way I will be bedding you, so it makes me no difference."

She froze when he said that, staring up at him in terror. She was gone like a shot, off the wagon, a single roll then running at a full sprint, her skirts hiked high. She was ridiculously fast for a girl, but he caught up to her in under thirty seconds, his strides much longer. He caught her and they rolled to the ground. He didn't give her time to move or react, he turned her over his lap right there and smacked her bottom a dozen times in rapid succession. She was struggling and kicking her feet, crying silently. He pulled her to sit up in his lap and turned her face to him.

"Now you listen here, little rabbit, that is the one and only chance you get. I am trying to be understanding that you are afraid and this is all new to you and you are in shock, but you need to get your head straight. Choose now. Be good, be a good wife, let me be good to you, or chains."

She made a gesture with her hands, still sobbing.

"What does that mean? Wife? Good. Good girl. Wife," he repeated, making the gesture. "Are you going to run again? Good. You are a fast little rabbit. Just remember I am much faster. Come on." He pulled her up and led her back to the wagon. His horses had stopped the moment he had released the reigns. "This put us behind. I wanted to make Wye before nightfall."

He lifted her up into the seat by her waist and his hands lingered a moment, feeling her ribs under the dress. He imagined she didn't see many full meals. His hands moved higher, his intent to feel out how skinny she was, but his fingertips touched the undersides of her breasts. She went tense and squirmed away and he let her. The damage was done though, his cock was awake and ready. He sat next to her in discomfort and flipped the reins, putting them at a fast trot to make up time.

"You didn't come off that mountain with a coat. You don't have one? Why not? If your pa could trap all those furs, why couldn't he make you a coat? I don't know what your hand wavin' means. It doesn't matter, I will make you one. In the meantime you can use one of the blankets on the bed."

He saw the question in her eyes as she made a sign.

"Does that mean bed? Yes, rabbit, look here." He moved the seat up, rocking it forward on hinges. Beneath all the furs, there was an opening into a little dome. It was big enough for him, but not much bigger. "Bed," he repeated, making the sign. "It's warm and I can keep an eye on my wagon. It will be cozy with two, but it'll work. You don't stink do ya?"

She was offended, then realized he was teasing her. She looked away and watched the trees and mountains rising up behind them. She knew they were further than they looked, but to her they looked like home.

He reached around her, put his hand on her hip and pulled her close to him, then wrapped his own coat around her, sharing his warmth. He glanced down at her several times as she watched the mountains in the distance, her look distant and sad. She was so beautiful it almost made his heart ache to look at her. She needed some meat on her bones, but he would see to that soon enough.

"Rabbit, teach me some more of your hand talk so you can talk to me. What is hungry? That simple enough," he said, repeating the gesture. "What is the sign for if you need to take a piss? Hah, don't scowl at me like that, just show me the sign. I think I can remember that. Sleep? Easy enough. What do you do if you need help?"

She let out a shrill whistle, her fingers to her mouth.

"That'll do it. Use that if you are in camp and need me. I snare sometimes. I don't want you wandering from the fire out here when we make camp, you understand? What is the sign for cold? Well that's... obvious. What is the sign for yes?"

She nodded her head with a flat look and he laughed.

"Alright, Rabbit, you got me there. I suppose no is the same. What about fire? Some of these are really obvious. What else can you show me?"

She pointed to the horses and made the sign and he repeated it. "Horse?" She nodded. She put her hand on the wagon and made the sign. "Wagon?" She nodded again, then reached back and touched the furs, then made the sign. "Fur?" She shook her head and thought, trying to think of how to explain so he could understand. She made a walking motion with her fingers and touched the furs again. "Animal? Like when they were alive?" She nodded. "So what is 'furs'?" She shrugged and shook her head. She had no sign for furs. She pointed to the trees and made a sign. "Mountain?" She shook her head and pointed lower. "Tree? Good, what is mountain?" She looked at the mountain and made the sign for 'home' sadly.

"We'll be coming back, Rabbit," he said softly. "I live in the mountains, but further back and probably higher up than you.

She looked at him, her eyes suddenly interested.

"You like the mountains?"

She nodded.

"You don't mind the snow?"

She shook her head.

"Good. It's a hard life up there. Perhaps less hard now that it won't be so lonely."

She made a sign and pointed to herself.

"Is that your name? No. Girl? Girl. What about boy? Boy. Is there a sign for Paul? Or do you have to make one up?"

She looked up at him thoughtfully, then made a shape with her fingers and shifted it back and forth down her jaw to her chest.

"That seems elaborate."

She flipped a lock of his long, messy hair.

"What about the finger thing? What does that mean?"

She drew a 'P' in the air.

"Is there a symbol like that for every letter?"

She nodded.

"Another time. I will practice what you have shown me. Too much at once and it will all run together."

He was quiet after that, watching her watch the mountains as they rode. She felt good pressed against him, tucked into his furs with him. He knew he would have to wait, be patient with her. Work her up to him. There was a reason he had to pay for a bedding up until now, and it was only certain girls who were willing to try. Most only wanted to give him a tug and he could do that himself. He didn't want to be patient though, feeling her against him, seeing the curves of her breasts in her dress, her hips... she needed to thicken up, but even as she was he wanted her.

They pulled into Wye just before dark and he stopped in front of the hotel. It was just across from the saloon where the saloon girls were up on the balcony.

"Paul! You're back! You gonna come up and see me?" one of them called.

"I'm a married man now, Liza."

"To that little waif? YOU?"

"Aye. Thanks for remembering me though," he smiled at the woman and looked down at Ellie who was looking up at him wide-eyed. "Come on, Rabbit. Joseph? Take care of my wagon?"

"Sure Paul! How long are you staying?"

"Only till morning. Hey, do you know where the preacher is right now?"

"Sure, he's right inside having dinner. He comes most nights for dinner."

"Thanks, Joseph." He flipped the boy a coin and pulled Ellie in by her hand. He saw the preacher right off, sitting in the back, writing with his bible open. Probably Sunday's sermon. He pulled Ellie right up to him. "Preacher?"

"Yes? How can I help you sir?"

"I need you to say the words over me and her."

"Oh, when did you..."

"Now. Just stand up and say them."

"Oh! Umm. Usually I require at least three days, just to be sure there are no, you know, drunken mistakes."

"I ain't drunk and neither is she. I ain't got three days. Here," he said, offering the man five dollars. "For the trouble. Say the words."

"Oh, umm. Sure. Your names?"

"Paul and Ellie. Eleanor. Booker, soon enough."

"Oh.. umm. Ellie? Is this your wish as well?"

"She's a mute," Paul offered, as Ellie looked up at him wide-eyed.

"Oh, she can just nod? Is she deaf too?"

"Ellie, nod for the man," he demanded.

She looked back at the preacher fearfully.

"You willin', miss?" the preacher asked.

"She's willin'," Paul said gruffly when she didn't nod right away. "She's bought and paid for, makin' her my wife is a choice. I don't need a blessin'. Say the words, preacher."

"Oh... Umm... Very well."

The preacher opened his bible and began the short ceremony and Paul turned to look down at her, holding both of her hands in his. She stood, blushing and tears welled in her eyes. She looked at his chest, not him, but he didn't mind.

"Repeat after me..."

Paul repeated the words the preacher spoke, then looked down at her. "Nod for the man," he commanded. She nodded, an almost imperceptible nod.

"I pronounce you man and wife," the preacher said, still sounding unsure, like it was a question. There was a smattering of applause from the other patrons.

He was not listening. He bent and turned her face up to his, then kissed her. She pulled back and looked down, tears rolling down her cheeks. He pulled her to the counter. "Abel, I need a room. Big bed, not small."

"Of course, Paul. Blessings to you and your new bride," he said uncertainly, looking down at the girl who was still silently crying.

"Thanks. Her pa... It was an arranged marriage. She may not be happy this moment, but she will be soon enough. I will see to it."

"Of course. He is a good man, young lady. He only looks frightening."

"Thanks, Abel. We'll be needing two dinners as well, what is it tonight?"

"Roast venison and potatoes."

"Sounds good. You hungry, Rabbit?"

She nodded and he led her off to a corner table. He watched her eat with amusement after she stared down at the full plate with wide eyes. She didn't eat half of it, but what she did eat she went to with a will. As he thought. She didn't get many full meals. His heart broke a little for her. He finished her meal as well as his own, then led her up the stairs. She dragged her feet, but he pulled her along. When he closed the door, he turned to see her crying again and he picked her up and stood her on a chair.

"Look at me, Little Rabbit. I do not intend to bed you tonight. I will eventually, but not yet. You have no need to fear. I will have a look at you though and I do not want you to make a fuss, do you understand? Don't turn away from me. Take your dress off. Don't get muley, if you don't do it, I will. If I do it, you won't have a dress to wear out of here in the morning. You'll be walking out in your skin. There you go, good girl."

123456...8