Enchantress 7 - The Royal Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marlon and Annette sat down at the table, both looked tired and happy. "Good morning Princess," said Nick but Annette looked startled when she realized he was speaking to her. She was used to being called princess by her dad; this was someone else... The king smiled at his new daughter-in-law and said, "It takes some getting used to." He sipped his tea and continued, "we were just talking about moving everyone up to the seventh floor. You can stay here until Wægn Manor is ready."

"And it's about time," muttered a guard by the door. The king turned and looked at the guard, Reziko Pants. Being one of the three guards that survived the attack gave Reziko an unwritten agreement with the king to speak his mind. Reziko did not survive by hiding, just the opposite, many of the invaders survived by hiding from him.

"Your thoughts lieutenant?"

"It is difficult to guard the king on the ground floor, too many possible avenues of attack and we guards hate it when you spend the night on the lower floors. This castle was built to protect you, sire. Please let it work."

"Join us for tea, that's an order," and Reziko sat down next to Llywella and he was served a cup of tea. Nick thought about what Reziko said, the seventh floor is only accessible by two staircases and one dumb waiter. And one of those staircases is hidden. That thought struck Nick hard... how did the attackers know how to get to the king on the seventh floor? There are many palace employees that don't know how to get to the seventh floor, the stairs that reach the seventh floor don't reach the ground floor, or even the second floor. You have to go up one set of stairs then get off on the third floor and grab the stairs that reach the fifth floor, only from there can you get to the seventh floor. All other staircases end on the fifth floor.

All of the towers avoid the sixth and seventh floor, those floors were for royalty and nobility only, there's a limited way of reaching those two floors, how did the mercenaries know? With a jerk of his head he called the head of the Kingdom Watch closer and immediately Lord Preston Prescott was at his side. He whispered his concerns to Preston who furrowed his brow, Preston was the chief of all police, not head of palace security, but palace security falls under his jurisdiction. "I'll look into it immediately sire."

"Did Viktorija Singe ever go up there?" asked Reziko.

"I don't think so," said Nick.

"Then it had to be Tudful Felmet. She was once almost queen."

"You're right," said Nick, "but our questioning of the prisoners is telling us that she didn't talk to her army, she only had a few officers that she spoke to. I'm worried about espionage."

"We will look into it your majesty," said Commander Prescott.

"Nick," said Nick.

"Yes sire."

Octavia is going to have to lay down the law with the king again. Nick is no longer Nick, he's no longer Pommeraie de la Montesquieu Worblehat-Stein, he's now Verence III of Lancre. He needs to allow his subjects to show him the respect his position demands. But she wasn't aware of how much that hurts. For almost 20 years it's been Press and Nick, together they worked to make travel in Wægn safer than anywhere else on the disc. The problem was that Preston wasn't a nobleman, he was knighted by Nick, but he didn't have a noble title. If he was a nobleman they could... he came up with an idea. "Sir Preston, how would you like to be a duke?"

"Just as long as it's not a cut in pay."

The king rose and they stepped to the side. "We're going to be securing our borders through acquisition, those lands are going to need a ruler until they stabilize. If I had a duke that was not tied down by a large duchy to occupy his time, I could put him in charge of these new acquisitions until we straighten out the nobility. What do you think?"

"What piece of Lancre are you implying doesn't have a ruler?"

"The palace, palace grounds, and the tunnel. You appoint a number two to oversee the physical grounds and castle and you're free to do whatever the king needs with a title to protect you."

Preston was about to protest then he saw the wisdom of that, he was already in charge of the palace, palace grounds, and tunnel, and the guy actually performing the maintenance and grounds upkeep was a genius at the job. "I like it sir."

Nick patted him on the back and said, "Let the lord of the keep know what we're planning and make sure you bring your sword to the wedding ceremony."

Nick turned to the breakfast table and the twins were talking with their mother and Ning. "Llywella, you understand what Commander Prescott and I were talking about?"

"It would be rude for me to overhear a private conversation, father, and I think it's a wise plan."

As Preston laughed, Nick said, "I need you to act as princess this morning. Reziko, escort Princess Llywella to the mayor of Lancre Town's office so she can explain this plan to him.

"Yes sire."

<><><><><>֎<><><><><>

Preston stepped into the grounds keepers office and as usual it was fairly clean; paperwork was stacked up neatly on the desk and ignored because the ground keeper is still learning to read. The office was attached to a garage/workshop and Preston stepped into the workshop and found Dexter working on an ancient wooden chair. He was showing his young apprentice Pavel Novik how to properly glue and clamp a chair so it wouldn't wiggle and squeak when you sat on it. It was rare to find Pavel without Princess Gwendolyn so when he did, Dexter used the lad to the utmost.

"Top cop!" said Dexter cheerfully, "what is happening to make you smile like that?"

"You old bandit, I come with news... your pay is going up."

"That makes me smile too... wait a minute... added compensation requires added responsibility. What do you want now?"

"You're right," said Preston. "You are now Lord of the Keep. The castle, grounds, and tunnel are now yours to manage and maintain."

Dexter looked confused. "They already are mine to manage and maintain."

"Yes, but now you have an official title, and will be addressed as Lord, and your staff has tripled."

"I have three people now?" asked Dexter.

"Yes, and you're authorized to select other members of the palace staff to assist in jobs and projects when needed, but security comes first."

Dexter's eyes narrowed, "You have a job lined up for me, don't you."

"Your two new people will meet you and your apprentice at the king's current apartment in the Hubward, Turnwise tower to move the king and queen to the King's historic apartment. Once the king's belongings are moved you can assist the princes and princesses with moving their items. The king insisted that you assist them not move for them."

"Anything else?"

"We need you to be at the throne room at Eleven of the clock this morning."

<><><><><>֎<><><><><>

"What's wrong with Mark," asked Octavia.

"How do you know it's Mark?"

"I was sixteen too."

"You weren't sixteen and living alone in an empty cottage," pouted Hollie.

"If you want you can live here and we'll take you to the cottage until you learn to fly the broom, then you can fly back and forth."

"Stupid broom," pouted Hollie.

"What's the matter baby," Octavia asked her oldest daughter as she hugged the young witch.

"Everything has changed, it's like you left me, and Marlon is too busy for me, and Mark won't talk to me... keeps complaining that he'll never heal... he got kicked in the crotch really hard and he says it won't heal so I have to leave him alone."

"Maybe we can deal with that after court today," said Octavia softly.

"I don't want to leave him alone, I know we are meant to be together, just like you knew Daddy was supposed to be yours, I want Mark."

"Yes, let me tell you a secret, you will marry Mark, but just like Annette did, on your eighteenth birthday."

Hollie's eyes lit up. "Who is going to be my witch? Is it Daddy?"

"That isn't set in stone yet, but soon, very soon, you are going to start training young witches and they will be friends.

"Who?" Hollie's eyes grew big around and she couldn't wait to see who she was going to train. Hopefully not a bunch of seven year olds.

<><><><><>֎<><><><><>

Wednesday was the day that married couples presented to the king, and to start, Nick and Octavia wait in the waiting area with the nervous couples and crack a few jokes trying to get them to relax, some were so terrified, their information of the king of Lancre comes from the days of Verence I over forty years ago. Verence I was an angry mean tempered tyrant that always wanted battle and rarely attended the ceremony, Verence II was always nice to the couples but he was shy and reserved which the couples took as aloof. Verence III knows what the couples are feeling and intends to keep the ceremony lighthearted.

As Nick and Octavia joked and teased the young couples, Princess Llywella and Lieutenant Pants arrived and she whispered in Nick's ear, "He refused to speak to me."

"Did he give you a reason?"

"Something about my being gutter rat spawn."

Octavia nearly exploded, but Nick calmed her. "Let's use this as a learning experience and teach." Nick was used to being called a gutter rat, but Octavia refused to allow her children to be called something like that. Somehow Nick's smile told her that he expected that reply.

Finally, the families of the married couple were seated and Nick and Octavia wished the couples luck and rose. Harold Lorchestershire Jr, the Herold called, "ALL RISE! The King and Queen of Lancre." Rather than stepping out Nick realized that he was looking for Verence II, his friend and mentor.

When Nick discovered that he was waiting for a ghost he was completely embarrassed. "I'm sorry dear friend, I am failing you," he whispered. He collected himself then he led Octavia to the thrones where they sat and called the couples up one by one.

The method for getting married in Lancre is to get married in a temple where the temple monks will enter your marriage in the official kingdom records. Often this is too expensive for the people of Lancre, so a witch will conduct the ceremony, then report it to the king. It's then up to the couple to insure their marriage is entered in the kingdom records. Past kings realized that traveling to Lancre Town to record their marriage was as fancy as it got for most mountain folk, so the kings have devised a ceremony for these folks, and it has grown into a very joyful custom.

"Mikol and Nance Gorski, from Mad Stoat, witch, Hazen Gantry," called Harold.

The couple was clearly a farm couple, he was slim, and his hairline was receding, she was large with the potential to get larger. They dressed plainly, the exact same way that Nick and Octavia dressed every day until recently, lots of denim and flannel. Their family clustered around them happily and they were truly excited to speak with the king and queen. They chatted a little about their crops and then Nick realized he'd be happy chatting beans and wheat with this young farmer for the rest of the afternoon, but others are waiting. He said, "Mikol and Nance Gorski, so married Spune first, year of the Harmonious Rabbit, have a wonderful marriage."

There next couple was from Creel Springs, Josef and Nadia Brotz. Nadia was the daughter of Daniel and Linda Baier, owners of the Emporium and were working to rebuild their little store. Octavia actually waved to Linda Baier, a friend of hers for years and she was stabbed in the attack on Creel Springs. They saw Linda wince and Octavia called her up to the throne, "We can help with that pain if you'd like."

"No your majesty, you were there to help us when those bastards attacked, and I'm sure that mystery investor in the rebuild is a duke we once loved."

Saddened that she didn't say yes, Nick called out "Josef and Nadia Brotz, so married, August thirty second, year of the Harmonious Rabbit, have a wonderful marriage.

The next couple had the largest family gathering as Harold called out, "Dilwyn and Glenice Howell, from Lancre Town. Witch, Marjorie Potts." Dilwyn was a new member of the palace guard and Glenice was a member of the kitchen staff that was assaulted during the attack. They were engaged when the attack happened and Dilwyn is still kicking himself for not joining the Palace Guard earlier, he could have protected his Glenice. Today his breastplate was shined to a mirror finish and he was proud to be standing before the king, and Glenice's belly showed that in a month the couple would have a new member of the family.

"Welcome," said Nick, "We are so glad for the both of you."

"I'm so happy to see you back, Glenice," said Octavia, "Exavier and Gwendolyn have missed you."

"They miss me cookin'," said Glenice.

"No, that was me that missed your cooking," said Nick, "you've been like a big sister to them, and we missed you." and he nodded to the side gallery where Exie and Gwen smiled and waved. "And if Marjorie is busy, I wouldn't mind helping you with the baby." Dilwyn looked excited at that offer, but Glenice wasn't sure. "I've delivered about 40 babies..."

"Fifty-two," said Octavia.

"Fifty-two, either way, Dilwyn and Glenice Howell, so married, Spune second, Year of the Harmonious Rabbit. We're happy for you."

As Dilwyn and Glenice moved to the side gallery where Prince Exavier and Princess Gwendolyn waited, Harold stepped forth once again. "Prince Marlon Worblehat-Stein, Duke of Wægn, and Annette Prescott of Creel Springs, Witch, Hollie Worblehat-Stein."

Prince Marlon stepped forward in the same suit that Nick was wearing, Annette was again in her stunning wedding gown, and they were flanked with her parents and several of their friends from Creel Springs. "I'm the king and the father-in-law so I'm allowed to do this, and Nick and Octavia stepped forward and Nick gave Annette a kiss on the cheek. "And with that, you're a princess," whispered Nick. Annette almost giggled at what he said, but he sounded so sad. "Take good care of my best friend." That was barely audible, but Annette heard it and realized how lonely the king was.

When he stepped back and shook hands with her she saw it in his eyes, he truly was sad, and he was fighting to hide it. As he returned to the throne he sat and said "Prince Marlon and Princess Annette of Lancre, so married Spune third, year of the Harmonious Rabbit. May you find the joy the queen and I found with each other." As the applause died down Nick said, "Princess Annette, could you ask your parents to step forward?"

Preston and Annabelle stepped forward and Nick said, "Read the first charge please."

Harold the Herald unrolled a scroll and said "Annabelle Prescott, On June fifteenth, year of the Harmonious Rabbit, when attacked by overwhelming forces during the Battle of Creel Springs you discovered that the duchess, Octavia Worblehat-Stein was poisoned. You ensured that the children and their grandparents were taken to safety then you rendered aid to the duchess saving her life. At the same time, you used every means available to you to protect her and the occupants of the Bare Bear Pub from overwhelming enemy forces. For your courage and loyalty, we award you the King's Medal of Courage and proclaim you a hero of the Kingdom of Lancre."

Nick rose and placed the brightly colored ribbon with huge, garish medal on Annabelle's neck and kissed her cheeks whispering, "I can never thank you enough, you saved my life that day too."

Nick side stepped and stood in front of Preston, and when Octavia was finished presenting Annabelle with a bouquet of roses, Harold began reading again.

"On June Fifteenth, year of the Harmonious Rabbit Preston Prescott, commander of the Wægn Highway Watch defended the people and property of the village of Creel Springs against a force of overwhelming odds. The enemy was fierce, but Captain Prescott was able to contain the threat until support arrived. Then, after suffering severe injury Captain Prescott rallied his remaining forces and rushed to the aid of the kingdom in the Battle of Lancre Castle. With his mounted forces Captain Prescott attacked behind a confused enemy, then surrounded and captured nearly one hundred attackers. For your faith and your bravery, we award you the Lancre Medal of Honor and proclaim you Duke of Lancre."

Nick placed the medal on Preston's neck and shook his hand, then stepped back and Octavia presented him with a ceremonial sword of office, as she did that Nick stepped over to the group gathered and said, "If the brides and grooms and immediate families would join Queen Octavia and I in my study we'll have a nice little reception. Please follow the Duke and Duchess of Wægn, they know the way."

"What's this?" asked Preston as they followed the couples down to Nick's Place, a replica of the Bare Bear Pub in Creel Springs.

"Something Octavia and I are trying, we're trying to make this more of an event for our poorer folks like Mikol and Nance Gorski, they look like they can't conjure up a tuppence between them."

"You're going to run the country broke by throwing parties."

"If I get one couple we will have lunch with them, it has always been that way. How would you feel if you didn't get to chat with the king and queen because there were more people in the room, but a rich couple who were the only couple the next week got a palace dinner? This is coming out of my pocket, including paying the kitchen and clean-up staff." As they passed a door that led out to the stable Nick said, "I'll be right back." He ducked out the door and disappeared.

A Lancre Black Eagle spiraled around The Tower Of Inclination, the tower with Nick and Octavia's love nest, and was about to return to the wedding party when a person stepped out the main entrance of the castle and walked swiftly down the drive. Halfway down the drive she began to run. Nick swooped lower to see who it was, it was Harleigh Rhodes, a member of the housekeeping staff. She ran down Central Avenue and where it met Main Street she ducked into the offices of Ruben Peck, a lawyer who happened to be the mayor of Lancre Town

Nick was back before Octavia noticed him missing. He gave her a kiss and then took his crown off and hung it on a coat hook that was behind the bar, and he did it while the guests were watching and he hoped that it gave them the idea that this was an informal gathering. He went up to Preston and quietly asked, "Is there any connection between Harleigh Rhodes and Mayor Peck?"

"She's his daughter," said Preston. "Why do you ask?"

"She may be fired. We'll know in a few minutes." Nick moved about the tables patting backs, shaking hands, he even found a baby to kiss. They were pleased to find that the easy going couple that was dispensing wedding advice in the waiting room was actually the king and queen. He was speaking about his and Octavia's first year together, when Mayor Peck burst into the room followed by a very flustered young guard.

"I demand to speak with the king!" he shouted.

"Of course, by all means," said Nick. He made a hand gesture to his personal guard, Reziko Pants, who jumped up and followed the king to the door. Preston and Annabell also saw the hand gesture and followed. "I'll be right back," Nick told his audience.

They stepped out in the hallway and before Ruben Peck could say anything, Nick said, "I supposed you want to speak about the Duke of Lancre, is that right?"

"Of course! Why do you think I'm here?"

Nick sighed and muttered, "Duke of Lancre... I sent a princess and a hero of the kingdom to your office to personally inform you of this event. You sent my daughter away calling her gutter rat spawn." As he said that several guards showed up. "That was bad enough, but now you burst uninvited into a private meeting. I need to find out why you think you are so entitled. Boys, take Mister Peck to visit with Mr. Morose, strip search, questioning, the whole thing."