Endangered Species Ch. 33-40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A choice of 'change or die' is no choice at all.

How many women would tell them to fuck off? A few, I was sure. How much courage must you have to choose that path? How strong a wolf would that person become if we had followed MY plan and slowly turned their minds around?

The tears rolled down my face as I contemplated my failure. They were MY people, and I had failed them.

I felt sorry for myself for some time until my pity party was interrupted by the door opening again. I blinked until my eyes cleared. A young female wolf opened the door, a cart filled with laundry visible behind her. She pulled a bag out from underneath the dirty scrubs and put it on my bed. "You need to get dressed, Alpha. I will be back in five minutes."

Lois removed the cuffs from my hands and helped me sit up. I didn't feel good; it was like I was coming down with the flu. "Dinner service just started. We have to sneak out of here without being seen, Alpha. The dirty laundry will help cover our scents as we exit."

Wonderful. It was like a prison escape.

The clothes weren't much; cotton underwear, scrubs, and slippers. "You couldn't find me any jeans?"

"You'll be delirious with the fever in a few hours, and the change will destroy the clothing. We've packed your things and loaded them on the vehicle already." I took off the hospital gown, glad they had removed and trashed the dress I'd worn. I didn't need any reminders of my mate's death. I used the bathroom and changed my clothes before the Omega returned. She and Lois pulled the laundry out, and Lois picked me up and set me inside. She climbed in opposite me as my eyebrow raised. "I'm your guard. If the others see me, they'll suspect you are there too."

The cart wasn't that big, so we had to arrange our legs to get comfy while the omega dumped dirty laundry on top of us. "This stinks," I said as it reached my chest.

"You don't have wolf senses yet. She doesn't mind the smell of her Pack mates, and wolves understand hiding their scent for hunting or evading. It's why they roll in poop or the forest floor, after all."

"So I've got that to look forward to," I said as another armful of clothes dumped between us. The pile was overflowing the cart by the time it finished. We started to move; I heard the Omega greet some people as she pushed us through the hallway. The laundry area was near the motor pool, so it wasn't long before she pulled the clothes off us.

The first person I saw was Oscar, the only single male remaining in my Pack. He was dressed in camouflage utilities and geared up like a Marine, including a vest with a plate and a Kevlar helmet. He grabbed me under my arms as soon as I was exposed and carried me to the back door of the waiting up-armored Humvee. Lois was right behind me and sat in the back seat next to Melanie. They directed me to a little nest in the back, surrounded by luggage, food, and water. "Stay out of sight, my Alpha," Oscar said as he covered me with a thin blanket. He ran around to the driver's seat, with Ted riding shotgun. Ted and Melanie were dressed for battle too, and everyone but me had weapons.

I pulled the blanket over my head as we drove off. I figured the escape would be the most dangerous time; the other Alphas had their people here, and Brinnon wouldn't be able to operate without them watching. "We're pretending to be a normal perimeter patrol," Ted said as we exited the tunnel system and drove up the slope to the surface. "Oscar, take a right here, then a left at the bottom just before the fence. Keep it slow and casual. We'll follow this road until we get to the south gate."

I could only lie there in the dark, feeling the vibrations of the military vehicle as we drove down towards the water. Eventually, we rolled to a stop, and Oscar honked the horn. I could hear a door opening and someone getting out. "What's going on," someone said.

"Fuck if I know," Oscar replied. "We're here to take over the gate so you two could get back for some meeting."

"Nobody told," and then there was a thump as his body hit the ground.

"You want me to do it, or do you want to inject yourself?" It was Oscar again.

"You do it, but on the other side. It will look better that way," someone else said.

"You recognized Melanie, and then I hit you with the shot," he told him. "Get on your knees." This time there was no thump. I heard the gate opening, and then Oscar got back in. "I took their rifles, pistols, and flashlights," he said as he put the Humvee in gear. He stopped after passing through, closing the gate again, then we drove off. They waited five minutes before telling me it was all right to get up. "Before all this shit, it would be less than three hours to get to our Pack. We've only got forty minutes of darkness left, so how do you want to handle this?"

"We have to get as far away from Bangor as we can," Ted replied. "We got away clean, but we have no idea how long it will be until they figure it out."

"Alpha Mark will keep them from doing anything," I said. "He is the host Alpha, and everyone but me was in his Pack."

"We assaulted one of Alpha Edward's men during our escape," Ted answered. "And we have no idea how they will respond to the deception allowing us to leave. Worst case, they send people after us. We have to get to Renfro before they do."

"We've got another problem," I said. I talked about the orders I'd received from the Commanding Officer of the USS Maine before coming ashore. "I have a mission to complete, even at the cost of my life. I must get a message to the National Command Authority, which means finding an operational military base."

Melanie whistled. "That won't be easy."

"Why not? If Brinnon hadn't overrun the Kitsap base, most of the defenders would still be alive. If they can survive there, other bases might also survive."

"We can't take the time, and you're not going to be able to do anything in a few hours, Alpha," Lois answered. "Our priority has to be the wolves at Renfro."

"What bases are near the path we're driving?"

"Bremerton still has a naval hospital and shipyard. It's the closest," Melanie said.

"Yeah, but Silverdale is a mess, and Bremerton is bound to be worse with the refugees from Seattle flooding in," Ted replied. "The only shelter is the hospital basement. They won't have power or food. They won't have command posts and communications even if you find them."

"Joint Base McChord-Lewis, then," Oscar said. "It's the biggest base in the Puget Sound area, on the south end of Tacoma."

That sounded better. "What is there?"

"The Air Force has a shitload of cargo planes on the airfield, and it's a big base for staging overseas missions. The Army keeps a division there."

Ted chuckled. "A bunch of bricks stuck on the tarmac," he replied. "This isn't like a nuclear bomber base where they keep the birds and vehicles in underground bunkers. It's lots of concrete pads and steel hangars. The solar storm would wipe everything out."

Oscar nodded. "There are two major commands, along with Air Force Special Operations. If there is any place with an underground command center nearby, that would be it."

That sounded good to me. "How long to get there?"

Ted was looking at an old road map of Washington they'd found somewhere since you couldn't use Google Maps anymore. "Two hours if we could do highway speed, but we can't. It's too dangerous to drive fast. We might get ambushed, or the road might be blocked. Plus, I hate the idea of going through the larger cities. The direct route is through Bremerton and south to Tacoma over the Narrows Bridge, but then you're going through the heart of that city. It could be as bad as Seattle."

"What is the other option," I asked.

"Take the long way around. We go southwest to Shelton, then southeast to Olympia. Pick up the freeway and head to the base from the west. It's almost twice as long a drive, but you avoid Tacoma."

I thought about what they had said and the timing involved. "We can't make either route before sunrise."

Oscar nodded. "I know. We're going to have to keep driving into the day."

My eyes bugged out at that. "The sun is a killer!"

Melanie reached back and put a hand on my arm. "It's less than half the radiation you found when you arrived, Angela. We've been watching the levels with your radiation detector the whole time. The ozone layer is coming back, and the solar storms are diminishing. The armor will help a little too. It's a chance I think we have to take if we want to be first to the Pack."

"How much of a dose are we talking?"

"Mid-day, we were seeing twenty-one millirem an hour."

That was half of what we found when we came ashore. If we were out all day, we'd get less than two hundred and fifty millirem, maybe much less with the shielding of the heavy vehicle. The Federal Government limits for occupational dose were five thousand millirem a year. It was doable. "Take the direct route," I told them. "We have a head start, and we need to maintain it. We stop at McChord-Lewis on the way."

Ted didn't look convinced. "Alpha, you'll be completely out of it, and you're the only one who's military. If the base remains operational, they'll never let us in."

"They will let ME in," I said. "Give me something to write on." They dug around, finally finding a small notebook and a pen in the glove compartment. I wrote a note for the gate guards; digging through my bag, I found my military ID and dog tags along with my ballcap from the submarine. The letter said I had top-secret flash-level communications from the USS Maine to the National Command Authority, and I needed an escort to the senior officer present to deliver it face to face. I requested the guards admit the others as my civilian guards, but I didn't know if that would work. I put it all in my hat and handed it forward. "If you get challenged on the way to the base, show them this. They'll take me in, fevers or no."

Ted read the note. "And if they don't let us in?"

"Then you continue to the Pack without me. There's enough detail in the note to make them keep me until I'm awake again. Melanie can be acting Alpha until I finish my shift. You need to find a new Pack House, someplace safer where the Council can't find you. Focus on supplies for the long-term, as we've done here."

"How will you find us?"

"I won't," I said. "I'll shift before I can pass on the message, and God knows what happens next. When the Pack is safe, send someone back to McChord and ask for me. It's the best I can do."

Melanie wasn't convinced. "You're talking about having your first shift around humans, with no Alpha there to pull you through! If the shift doesn't kill you, the military might!"

I nodded. "The Generals will have to listen to me, Melanie. They will want to hear my story."

No one said more as we sped southward. My fever started to spike, and I started alternating between burning up and the chills. I don't remember much of the trip, as I was in and out of lucidity. I remember lots of stops and at least one gun battle. Soon enough, my mind couldn't think of anything but the pain before it all went black again.

Ch. 38

Pain. Pain like I'd never known coursed through me. I couldn't move without making it worse, so I lay there in silent suffering, praying for it to end.

No such luck.

I was feverish and in and out of lucidity with the temperature spikes. When I could think, I prayed to pass out again. My entire body hurt like I was being consumed by fire. My bones ached, my muscles were sore, and my skin was flushed. Where the sheets or the cool cloth someone was running over my feverish skin touched me, it gave scant comfort compared to the pain of its contact.

If that wasn't enough, I could feel my wolf deep inside my brain. She wanted out, and my body wasn't helping her. She was forcing her way into my brain, personality, and body. All of that hurt.

Eventually, and I had no idea if it had been hours or days, the pain started to fade, and the fevers diminished. I became more aware of my surroundings as my temperature went back down. Two candles provided a small amount of illumination to the room. Looking around, I could see I was in a room with no windows. A woman in an Air Force flight suit was next to the bed I was on. She wrung the cloth in the bucket next to her as she looked me over. "Are you back? Angela?"

I let out a groan, finally focusing on her face. She was in her thirties, tall and thin, with black hair to her shoulders and glasses. "Where am I?"

"Joint Base McChord-Lewis, specifically the second sub-basement below Air Wing headquarters," she replied. "I'm Major Debbie Burkett, senior flight surgeon assigned to the 62nd airlift wing. You're lucky to be alive. That fever was intense, and we don't have working facilities to do more. You coded on me once, but I was able to get your heart restarted. If you feel like you have a broken rib, well, sorry. Shit happens when you're saving lives."

"Everything hurts," I replied.

She grabbed a water bottle with a straw in it. The water was warm, but I needed it badly after sweating so much. They'd stripped my clothes off, so I was lying on the soaked mattress cover. "Do you want to try sitting up?"

It would hurt, but I needed to move. "Please." She helped me sit up, then moved my legs until they were over the edge, and my bare feet touched the cold tile floor. Debbie used the time to wipe the sweat from my back and hair. Twenty minutes later, she helped me to my feet. "I need to speak to your Commanding Officer. It's urgent."

"You're going nowhere, Angela. You're in isolation for twenty-four hours after your fever is gone, and I'm stuck in here with you. Whatever illness you have, we haven't seen it before. It might be a new strain of influenza or another disease. With the amount of rot and decay in the city, I see diseases I never expected in America." She had me hold onto the sink while she changed the sheets on the hospital bed.

What to do with her? I knew I only had a few hours between the end of the fever and the start of my shift. "Where are my people? The ones who brought me here?"

"The base is on lockdown, Midshipman Summers. We took you in because of your condition and your military ID card. They said they were heading home and would try to check back in a few days."

It was what I expected. I had hoped to have Melanie here to help my wolf after it emerged. Alone and surrounded by humans? That wasn't any good. "What I have isn't contagious, Doctor."

"What is it?"

What was I going to say now? If I said a werewolf had bitten me, she'd still think I was hallucinating from the fevers. It's not like humans had experience in turns. "I'd rather explain this once, with the Commanding Officer present. Time is short for me. Send for him, so I can give him the message I've come so far to relay."

"He can't come in."

The door to the room had a window, now covered by a magnetic sheet to give us privacy. "Can't he sit outside, and I can relay the message through the door? What is your clearance level?"

"Secret," she told me.

"We're a dozen levels above that," I told her. "You'll have to leave for part of it. When I finish with the classified stuff, I'll have you called back in."

She shook her head. "Protocol is that I can't leave the room. We can't risk anyone else getting this, Angela. I have no idea what it is or how it is transmitted. All I know is that I can't stop it."

"I told you it's not communicable, at least not airborne or by contact."

"How do you know?"

"It's from an animal bite."

She laughed at this. "I examined every inch of you for clues as to why you were feverish when you came in, Angela. You don't have any bite wounds. I didn't find any scars or blemishes at all! How does an athletic woman in her senior year of college not have a single cut, scar, or skinned knee?"

I wasn't ready to tell her that I had plenty, but the werewolf super-healing coursed through my body. "Can you get the Commanding Officer, please? Ask him to bring the key members of his command staff. We are wasting time I don't have." I finished the water bottle and reached for another one on the table next to the bed.

"Fine," she said. Everyone knows that meant it was FAR from being ok. "If you don't tell me the truth, I can't figure out what this is." I chugged the water bottle while she stared me down. "There are scrubs on the shelf. Get dressed before I take the window cover off."

I was feeling better by the time I got in my clean clothes. In the meantime, the Major had talked to the guard outside the door about getting the General. "How can we handle your classified talk," she asked me.

"Lock yourself in the bathroom until I come to get you," I told her.

Five minutes later, the window covering was off. I looked out to see a very unhappy Lieutenant General Payne, US Army, First Corps Commander, and senior officer on base. He'd brought a bunch of officers with him, all lower-ranking staff officers, including the Colonel in charge of the airlift wing. I sent Doc into the bathroom, then introduced myself.

"Welcome to my headquarters, Midshipman Summers. Your note said you had flash traffic from the USS MAINE?"

"I do. You'll want to write this down, General." I slowly repeated the message that Captain Grimes gave me to deliver, then repeated it. "Can you make contact with my ship?"

"We can try," General Payne replied. "We'll do what we are ready for their next scheduled attempt. What happened out there?"

I looked over to the bathroom door. "If it's all right with you, I'd like to bring my doctor into the conversation. The fevers I had are part of the story I need to tell you."

"As long as you don't go into classified activities on the sub, that should be fine."

Twenty minutes later, he was wishing I'd never shown up with this bag of flaming poo at his front door.

The brass listened in silence as I described the loss of communications, then surfacing to find no one transmitting. I talked about the floating coffins that were ships and private vessels offshore, then the decision to send the two midshipmen ashore with the message. Doc's eyes went wide as I described the solar radiation levels we found; their instruments had fried early on, so they had no idea the radiation doses they were dealing with until it was too late.

I told them about our landing, then the kayak trip around the Sound to land at the Bangor submarine base. "It was hell on earth. Bodies floated in the water or lay in the streets and homes, bloated and decaying. Nothing was moving, and no one was alive. Boats were drifting free, vehicles were Cities were burning, and there was nothing to stop it. We paddled past the dead and the ruins; the only one who challenged us wanted help for his wife, and we couldn't supply that. We paddled through the night until we reached the triangle docks at Bangor." Just remembering that night turned my stomach.

"What did you find when you arrived?"

"Nothing at first. There were two submarines at the docks when the USS Maine departed; both were gone, and it looked like they cast off lines and floated away. Nobody was around; the pier was quiet, and there was no power or lighting. We cleared the docks, then headed up the hill towards the headquarters building. That's when we found the first Marine."

"Dead?"

"Quite dead, but not of exposure. A single rifle shot to the head, and he never saw it coming. We found more bodies as we got closer to the building. We saw evidence of a pitched battle that ended in summary executions. We found one survivor in the basement who told us what happened before he died."

"Who did it? The Chinese? The Russians?"

It was time to peel the band-aid off. "No. He told us the attackers were werewolves."