English Rose Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Joan looked around at the room she had made her own. It was small for a sitting room but comfortable and she'd come to love the time she spent here. "Thank you, it has a lovely little garden with a fountain if you care to step outside later?"

"Hmmm," Sabrina said noncommittally and took another sip of tea.

Sabrina had come by to check in on the young woman. While she had encouraged Marcus to offer for her, Sabrina had no delusions and suspected that the start of this particular marriage would be a rough one. She had grown even more concerned with the recent rumors and the fact that Lady Edington had yet to be seen in society with her new husband.

Diving in, Sabrina asked, "How are you settling in?"

"Well enough," Joan said. How could she tell this woman that she still felt like a stranger in what was supposed to be her own home? "It's an adjustment, of course."

"Of course," Sabrina said. "I trust that Marc...er...Lord Edington is treating you well?"

"We're getting on well enough," Joan said. In truth she wasn't sure what to make of Marcus. Their nights together were unlike anything she had ever imagined while the days alone left her feeling sad and unwanted. Of course, Marcus had never really wanted a wife - she knew that - but she had hoped that once matters were settled there could be friendship, happiness and perhaps even eventually love between them.

"Well," Sabrina said, "that's how most marriages start."

Carefully setting her tea aside, Joan asked, "Begging your pardon, your grace, but is there something I can do for you?"

Sabrina also set aside her tea. "No, actually, I was hoping that there might be something I could do for you."

"I'm not sure I understand," Joan admitted.

"It's simple, really." Sabrina said. "I consider myself a friend to Lord Edington. Should you choose I would like to extend that friendship to you."

"I see," Joan said though she didn't, not really. Like everyone, she knew about Lady Radcliff and her marriage to the dashingly dark new duke. She thought the tale wildly romantic but she'd never heard either of the Radcliff's linked to her husband. Unfortunately, before Joan could answer, the unmistakable sound of her husband's boots upon the marble floor came echoing into the room.

Turning to the door, Joan spied Marcus for the first time since breakfast. "Marcus. I'm sorry, I'd forgotten we were to take tea together."

Marcus felt his heart slow its racing beat. News of Sabrina's arrival had reached him and sent him nearly running to intercept her. He had no doubt that Sabrina was here to 'help' and had decided it was time she learn to mind her own business. Apparently, Radcliff was wholly incapable of keeping his wife on a leash.

Marcus stopped as he reached the library, any words of admonishment dying on his lips at seeing Sabrina gowned in black. He could kick himself. Absorbed in his own drama he hadn't heard the news of the duke's passing. He knew that Sabrina had cared a great deal for her father-in-law and would be saddened at the loss. She had always been there for him, whether he wanted her or not, and he had failed to do the same for her. "Sabrina."

"Hello, Marcus," Sabrina said, "you're looking well," she lied.

"My condolences," he said. "I'm sorry, I hadn't heard otherwise I would have..."

"Thank you," she said, cutting him off.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"We returned to London a few weeks ago," she hedged. "Mae understandably wanted to spend some time away from Arlington Park."

"Of course," Marcus said, "but rather what are you doing here," he asked.

"Marcus!" Joan exclaimed, horrified. "Her Grace was kind enough to extent an offer of friendship..."

"Sabrina." Marcus wouldn't be waylaid by his wife.

"I came to call on your wife and offer her my congratulations," Sabrina said.

"That is very kind of you," Marcus said and it was. Despite her own scandalous ties to Marcus, Sabrina was a formidable force within the ton. His wife's social standing would be assured with Sabrina's support.

"She doesn't know," Sabrina said, taking up her tea once more. She wasn't surprised. Lady Edington, while still Miss Whitman had been a young, unmarried lady. Having been raised by two loving parents she would have been protected from the worst of the ton's gossip. Since it appeared that Marcus had yet to introduce his new bride to the ton there had been no opportunity for anyone to inform her of his most recent adventures. But they would - soon and with cruelty.

"No," Marcus confirmed, his lips thinning in displeasure.

"She should," she said. "It's only fair."

Marcus nodded but didn't immediately say anything.

"Well, if you'll excuse us, Lady Edington and I have much to discuss," Sabrina said dismissing Marcus.

Joan watched in surprise as Marcus gave Lady Radcliff a respectable bow before turning on his heels and heading back the way he had come. Now a duchess, Lady Radcliff obviously outranked Marcus but she didn't think that was why he had so easily accepted her dismissal.

"Lady Edington," Sabrina started and then snorted. "I really detest formality, may I call you Joan?"

"Of course," Joan said automatically.

"Joan, I meant what I said. I consider myself a friend to Marcus and it is my hope that you and I may become better acquainted. However, before that can happen I feel it only fair that you know something of my...prior relationship with Marcus." Sabrina was trying to be delicate but found the situation hard to explain. "Not long before your marriage to Marcus I found myself...estranged...from my husband. It was during that time that Marcus and I developed a friendship of sorts."

Joan blinked. Realizing her mouth had fallen open she snapped it shut with an audible click. "I see," she said. Clenching her fingers in her lap, she clarified, "You had an affair with my husband."

Lady Radcliff visibly cringed. "Not exactly," she said and barely held back a flush. It was extremely uncomfortable discussing her past behavior with a woman she'd only just met. "But we were...close...for a time and I thought it important that you know before deciding on a friendship."

Joan was speechless. Staring at the duchess she could imagine all too well what Marcus had seen in her. Tall with voluptuous curves, glorious dark hair and piercing green eyes the duchess was a beautiful woman and considered exotic by ton standards. Joan felt her heart sink at the visual representation of her husband's preferences.

Realizing that Lady Radcliff was waiting for some kind of response, she said, "I appreciate your honestly."

"I abhor lies and half truths," Lady Radcliff said with surprising venom. "I would much rather know now that my past with Marcus will be an issue for you then garner your friendship only to loose it later."

Joan wasn't sure how she felt about the news that her husband had engaged in an affair with Lady Radcliff. Actually, she knew exactly how she felt - she didn't like it, not one bit.

"You should know," Sabrina said. "I love my husband dearly and have no desire whatsoever to repeat past mistakes."

Joan looked up to find the duchess watching her and had suspected that the woman knew exactly how Joan felt and what she had been thinking. "You and your husband have reconciled?" It was an extremely impolite question to ask. One did not inquire into the state of another person's marriage but Joan needed to know exactly where both she and the duchess stood with respect to Marcus.

"Yes," Sabrina said. "We still have our moments and Douglas is not overly fond of Marcus. But he has accepted the past and my continued friendship with your husband."

Joan was quiet for a moment, despite her issues with her husband she recognized Lady Radcliff's offer for what it was and knew it to be genuine. "Well," she said carefully, "it just so happens that I could really use a friend right about now."

"Oh, I'm so glad!" Sabrina said and then cringed. "I didn't mean that the way it sounded."

"No worries," Joan said.

Sabrina smiled and watched as Joan considered her next words. It was obvious that the young woman had something on her mind.

"Your grace..."

"Sabrina."

Joan smiled. "Sabrina, if you don't mind me asking, were you the only one my husband was having an affair with?"

Sabrina blinked in surprise, that was not the question she had been expecting. "Ah, well, at the time, yes." Stalling, she carefully rearranged her napkin in her lap. "Marcus and I had an understanding between us that there would be no others. It's not unusual when two people...that is...neither one of us were looking to...ah." Realizing that she was babbling, Sabrina stopped herself, took a deep breath and said, "I was not Marcus' first lover but at the time I was his only lover. Why do you ask?"

Joan hesitated before rising and crossing to a small writing desk and returning with a stack of letters. Sabrina could see by the feminine handwriting that each one was written by a woman.

"These are just the ones that arrived over the past few days," Joan said handing the letters to Sabrina.

Sabrina took the top most letter and opened it. Immediately, she was assaulted by the overpowering scent of perfume. "Oh my," she said having read the salutation and the first few lines. Quickly, her eyes dropped to the bottom of the page going wide at the author's name.

"They're all like that," Joan admitted fingering the pile she had placed on her lap.

"You read them?" Sabrina asked, surprised.

Joan blushed furiously, "At first I thought they were invitations. They arrived right after our wedding so it didn't strike me as odd that I wasn't included on the direction. They obviously weren't business related."

"Well, they are invitations - of a sort," Sabrina said with a weak attempt at humor. Joan gave her a small smile in return. "My time with Marcus was...limited," Sabrina said. "While I don't know much about his past affairs, I do know something about being married to a highly sought after peer."

"Your husband received such...invitations?" Joan asked.

"In the beginning," Sabrina admitted, handing Joan back the letter. "Men like Marcus and Douglas are always sought after - marriage won't change that. Of course, they are not the only ones - you should prepare yourself."

"For what?" Joan asked.

"For invitations of your own," Sabrina said. "Most marriages are a matter of convenience and yours, as far as the ton is concerned - is no exception. You are more sought after now than you were before."

Joan had never considered the possibility that Marcus wouldn't be faithful. Her parents were happily married and she had expected the same for herself. Of course, she'd also thought to marry a man of her choosing and not someone with Marcus' troubled past. "Is Marcus of such a belief?" she asked.

"I think that is a question better asked of your husband," Sabrina hedged. Marcus was indeed one to engage in an affair with a married lady - he preferred them that way. However, Sabrina was hoping his own marriage to Joan would change all of that.

"What do you suggest I do with the letters?" Joan asked.

"Burn them," Sabrina said without hesitation, "and any more that should arrive."

***

Marcus sat staring at the study door. He had no doubt that Sabrina would be stopping by on her way out. It was unsettling, to say the least, to have his former lover meeting with his wife, especially given the topic of conversation. He trusted Sabrina to take care in explaining their past relationship. Unlike other members of the ton she would strive not to hurt his wife's feelings. Unfortunately, no woman likes to hear about her husband's past relations. The fact that it had to come from one such woman instead of Marcus was likely to add insult to injury.

It had never occurred to him to discuss his past with Joan. Unlike his wife, he was not expected to remain pure until his wedding. Hell, he wasn't expected to remain pure after his wedding though to date he had taken no other lover. Surprisingly, the thought of leaving another woman's bed to join his wife left a bad taste in his mouth.

"Come," Marcus ordered at sound of the knock he'd been waiting for.

"Marcus," Sabrina said in greeting.

"Sabrina," Marcus said and stood.

Sabrina was surprised when Marcus circled his desk to cross the room and take her hand.

Marcus pressed a chaste hiss to Sabrina's cheek before escorting her to a seat in front of his desk. "Again, my condolences. I wish I had known...."

"Do not trouble yourself," Sabrina assured him. "Marcus..."

"Sabrina, I appreciate you coming," Marcus said cutting her off, "but I'm not sure it was wise."

"Be that as it may, you must know that the ton is talking..."

"I couldn't care less about what those gossip mongers have to say, as you well know." Marcus took up his seat behind his desk.

"Well you should, if not for your sake than for the sake of your wife," Sabrina insisted.

"Joan and I are getting on well enough," Marcus said though he wasn't sure he spoke the truth. Perhaps the truth as he hoped it to be.

"Marcus..." Sabrina started.

"Leave it be!" Marcus snapped. "I appreciate you coming to check on my wife but..."

"Weaverly is saying that he compromised your bride prior to your marriage," Sabrina said in a rush. "He insists that she is increasing and that the babe is his. He claims that is why you haven't introduced her to the ton as the new Lady Edington."

Marcus sat in stunned silence before exploding from his chair. "I'll kill the bastard! I'll see him dead before the day is done!"

Sabrina let Marcus rant and watched as he paced behind his desk. She knew to give him a moment to blow of the first rush of rage before trying to get him to see reason.

"Where is my sword?" Marcus turned toward the door, "Dillon!"

"What are you doing?" Sabrina asked.

"I plan to call the man out," Marcus said. "Dillon!"

Dillon came rushing into the room. "Yes, my lord?"

"Where is my sword?" Marcus asked.

"Your sword?" Dillon asked in obvious confusion.

"Yes, my sword." Marcus was seeing red. He'd heard the saying many times but never believed one could actually become so enraged as to actually see life as if already tinted with his enemy's blood.

"I apologize, my lord, but I only know of your dress sword and I do believe that has been packed up along with..."

"Fine," Marcus snapped, "bring me my pistols?"

"I beg your pardon?" Dillon asked.

"You heard me!" Marcus shouted.

"Yes, sir," Dillon bowed and hurried from the room, grateful for the quick shake of her head Lady Radcliff threw him. Lady Radcliff was one of the few people that knew how best to handled his lordship. Whatever was going on she would take care of it.

"Marcus, sit down," Sabrina snapped.

Marcus glared at her but took his seat. "You brought me this bit of information, surely you didn't expect me not to act on it."

"Of course I expect you to act," Sabrina said with a slight sniff. "I expect you to act reasonably and not go off half cocked."

"Calling that bastard Weaverly out is perfectly reasonable. I should have done it right after I married Joan."

Sabrina stiffed. "Surely the rumors are not true? Did Weaverly compromise your wife?"

"No!" Marcus exclaimed. "Not for lack of trying," he added a bit more quietly.

"You rescued Joan from Weaverly, didn't you?" Flabbergasted, Sabrina slumped in her chair. "That's how you came to be there that night only everyone assumed you were the one responsible for Miss...er...Lady Edington's dishevelment."

Marcus nodded at Sabrina's correct assessment. "Joan begged me not to mention Weaverly's name. She quickly understood the situation, knew that the man had attempted to compromise her in an effort to gain her dowry. I couldn't blame her for not wanting marriage to Weaverly. The man is a drunk that lost his entire fortune to the hells."

Sabrina snorted. "Look who's talking."

Marcus' eyes narrowed without humor. "I never bet more than I can stand to lose."

"True," Sabrina agreed.

"Joan and I came to an agreement. I would let the world believe I had compromised her and she would accept the consequences knowing that I wouldn't offer for her." Marcus sat back suddenly weary. He'd made a mess of things where his wife was concerned. From day one every step he'd taken had been a misstep.

"Marcus," Sabrina said softly, "calling Weaverly out will only succeed in making more gossip. If you kill the man there will be many that believe you did so to silence him from speaking the truth. The best thing to do would be to introduce your wife to society and let them see for themselves. It won't take long for everyone to see that she isn't increasing."

Marcus frowned but couldn't dispute Sabrina's statement. "Very well," he said. "But when this is over I will have it out with Weaverly."

"I would expect nothing less," Sabrina said. Standing she shook out her skirts and headed for the door. "Now, if you'll excuse me my husband is expecting me home."

"Sabrina," Marcus called. Sabrina stopped and looked back over her shoulder at Marcus. "Thank you," he said, "for caring enough to come."

Sabrina gave him a small smile. "I told you before, you have my friendship whether you wish it or not."

****

"You enjoyed your visit with Lady Radcliff?" Marcus asked.

Joan looked up from her book to find Marcus watching her from the doorway. "Indeed," she said. "She's very charming...and beautiful. I can see why you like her."

Marcus didn't so much as flinched at the obvious knowledge in his wife's eyes. "I won't apologize for something that happened before we were married."

"I don't expect you to," Joan said. "I do appreciate her honesty," she added quietly. There had been several uncomfortable moments after Lady Radcliff's confession. Somehow they had muddled through and Joan was feeling optimistic about their chances at a friendship - something she desperately needed right now.

"Sabrina prizes honesty over just about anything," Marcus said with a touch of humor. Leaning against the door he couldn't help but notice the gold highlights the fire cast upon his wife's hair. "The Huntington's are having their annual gala tomorrow night, perhaps you would care to join me?"

Joan's head snapped up in surprise. It was the first invitation Marcus has issued since their marriage. "I would like that," she said.

"Good," Marcus said and bowed, "until tonight."

Joan nodded and watched as Marcus excused himself and left the room, she would have sworn he was looking uncomfortable and not at all forward to the evening's event.

****

"I'm sorry, my lord, Lady Huntington is not receiving," the butler said with an apologetic bow.

"Tell her it's Lord Edington," Marcus said and handed the man his card. "I guarantee she'll see me."

The butler bowed and hurried up the stairs. Marcus waited in the foyer until the lady's maid came hurrying towards him. "I apologize, my lord, if you'll follow me?"

The maid, well aware of her lady's previous relationship with the Lord Edington, escorted the handsome man up the stairs and into her lady's private quarters.

"Marcus!" Gloria, Lady Huntington, sat at her dressing table smiling at Marcus' reflection as he entered her room.

"Gloria, it's good to see you," Marcus said and dropped a quick kiss to the lady's cheek before taking a seat on one of the room's many couches. "You look lovely."

"Thank you," Gloria said and went back to painting her face. "Now, what can I do for you?"

"I plan to attend your gala tonight," Marcus said, "along with my wife."

Gloria raised one delicate brow in surprise. "I must say, I was surprised to hear you'd married the chit."