English Rose Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Be careful, Gloria, where my wife is concerned."

Gloria tipped her head in acknowledgement of the warning. "My apologies. So what do you need from me?"

"A very public, very obvious show of your support," Marcus said. "Not just yours but also that of your husband and anyone else of note."

"So you've heard the rumors?" Gloria asked.

"As have you, I see." Marcus said grimly.

"Of course," Gloria said with a apologetic smile. "Men are naive to think that the only place where knowledge is power is in politics. All knowledge is power."

"And you seek to acquire both," Marcus said. It wasn't a question, he'd known Gloria for years and knew her to be much more then just a pretty face. In truth, she wasn't one of the ton's most notable beauties, however she possessed more power and influence than most men of his acquaintance. It was her ability to use it that had drawn Marcus into her bed while it was respect for her that had drawn him out of it.

Gloria dipped her fingertips into a pot of cream. Crossing her legs, she allowed her robe to fall open revealling one long, lean leg. "And in exchange for my support?"

Marcus watched, appreciating the view, as Gloria rubbed lotion into her legs. "What do you want?"

Gloria considered. "I assume this isn't a personal favor you are asking of me?"

"No," Marcus said but not without a hint of regret. It had been two years since his affair with Gloria and he wasn't looking to repeat history. Still, she was a delightful companion in bed.

"Your wife," Gloria began, "why did you marry her?"

Marcus looked up from Gloria's exposed flesh in surprise. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, if I'm going to do this thing for you - and there is no guarantee that I am - I think I have a right to know." Gloria was disappointed to see Marcus' attention no longer fixated on her legs. It was a distraction technique she'd used many times to no small amount of success.

Marcus lifted one golden brow. "Right?"

Gloria shrugged her shoulder. "Regardless, those of us that know you don't believe for a moment you compromised the young woman. Perhaps there is a larger, unseen plan at work here though I don't see any political or financial gain from the marriage."

Marcus considered Gloria without answering. He had no desire to tell her that in a moment of drunken weakness he had thought to find happiness with his wife.

Gloria's brow wrinkled slightly in a frown. "Give me something, Marcus. My reputation would be ruined if it ever got out that I simply did you a favor."

"Your reputation can withstand it," Marcus assured her, "but I am willing to pay for the favor. You simply need name your price."

Gloria turned back to the mirror watching Marcus' reflection. "A favor, to be named at some future date and time."

"You want me to agree to something without knowing the terms?" Marcus asked.

"You're asking me to make a public display of support as well as arrange introductions to some of my most sought after guests. It's no small thing you ask. I will likely have to call in several other favors in return."

Marcus shrugged, "Convince them that it is you doing a favor for them, they'll owe you one in return."

Gloria laughed, "You do know how to play the game, don't you Marcus?"

"Of course," Marcus said. "I usually chose not to."

"But for your wife you'd be willing to," Gloria confirmed.

Marcus tipped his head.

"Very well," Gloria said masking her surprise. Whatever Marcus had going on she had learned all she was going to - for now. Sometimes, simply knowing that there was something afoot was enough. "I will ensure that you and your bride are properly introduced into society."

"Thank you," Marcus said as he stood. "I knew I could count on you."

Gloria lifted her face for a kiss, "Just be sure to be on your best behavior. I will not have this favor cost me more than I can spare."

"Of course," Marcus said. "I will see myself out."

"Be a dear and send my maid back in," Gloria called out after Marcus.

****

Marcus arrived home and went in search of his wife. He had thought to wait to see her until this evening but found that he wanted a few moments of her company.

"Where is Lady Edington?" he asked upon finding only Mary in the sitting room.

"Her ladyship had some errands to run and a call to make," Mary said. "She indicated that she would be back in plenty of time to change."

Marcus frowned. "Did she say who she was calling upon?"

"I'm certain I don't know, my lord." Mary said. "If you'd like I can check with Dillon or one of the other maids?"

"No, don't bother," Marcus said. Turning from the room he found himself strangely disappointed at having missed seeing his wife. What the bloody hell was he supposed to do about that?

****

Joan approached the front door nervously and knocked. Behind her Shelly waited with obvious anxiety.

"Are you sure this is proper, my lady?" Shelly asked eyeing the formidable door leading to an even more impressive house.

The Radcliff townhouse easily took up the entire block and perhaps part of the next one. Despite its massive size the structure gave off a warm, welcoming air that helped to settle Joan's nerves. "It will be fine."

"May I help you?"

Joan offered a tentative smile to the rough looking servant that answered the door. "Hello, is Lady Radcliff receiving?"

"May I tell her who is calling?" Jared stood back and motioned for the two women to enter.

Joan offered her card. "Lady Edington."

Jared took the offered card before escorting Lady Edington and her maid into the library. "If you'll wait here I will inquire as to whether her grace is receiving."

"Thank you." Joan looked around the large library. Impressed by its large size she nevertheless got the distinct impression that this room was actually used for its intended purpose. Well loved and worn books littered every surface, several sitting open as if awaiting the reader's return.

"Joan!" Sabrina hurried into the library. "What a lovely surprise." She had been positively floored to hear of the young lady's arrival but thrilled nevertheless.

"I do apologize for arriving unannounced," Joan said surprised when Sabrina gave her a quick embrace.

"No worries," Sabrina said with a smile. "I believe I did the same thing to you. Please have a seat."

"Thank you," Joan said noting as Shelly slipped into a corner of the room to wait quietly.

"Now, to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?" Sabrina asked.

Joan bit at her lower lip. "I was hoping you might be able to help me."

"Of course, what do you need?"

"Well, Marcus has asked me to join him at the Huntington's gala this evening and...well...we were married so quickly and I...that is my mother..." Joan trailed off suddenly embarrassed.

"You have nothing to wear," Sabrina said grasping the situation immediately. Normally, a young lady acquired a new wardrobe upon her marriage exchanging the lighter colors of youth for the more mature cut and colors of a married lady. Because Joan was married so quickly (and Marcus no doubt completely oblivious) it was no surprise that she continued to wear her older fashions.

"No," Joan confirmed in obvious relief at Sabrina's understanding. "Not only that but I'm not entirely sure what to wear - even if I could come by it on such short notice."

"Have no fear," Sabrina said. Standing, she went to the library door and spoke a few quiet words to someone waiting on the other side. "I would offer you something of mine," Sabrina said retaking her seat. "Unfortunately, we are rather different in shape and the colors would be all wrong."

Joan smiled at the thought of trying to wear anything belonging to the tall, voluptuous duchess. "That would surely be a sight," she agreed.

"Well, we have some time," Sabrina said indicating the tea service that was being brought in. "Our scones can't compete with those of your Cook but I highly recommend the chocolate truffles, they are sure to see you swoon."

Joan smiled and accepted a lovely smelling cup of tea. Together, the two women enjoyed a few moments of quiet each settling in for whatever Sabrina had ordered up. It was a pleasant silence, nothing uncomfortable but two newly acquainted friends enjoying a cup of tea.

"So, the Huntington's gala event?" Sabrina asked with obvious thought.

"Yes," Joan confirmed. "As I said, I've never been."

"No, you wouldn't have." Sabrina was quiet for a moment before asking, "Might I offer a few words of advice?"

"Of course," Joan said. "I welcome any help you can give though I hope you'll forgive me for imposing so soon after your offer of friendship."

Sabrina waved her hand in the air. "Think nothing of it. However, Lady Huntington is the most ambitious woman I know. She's never intentionally cruel but she will use you to whatever purpose suits her best. I'm sure that's what Marcus is banking on."

"How so?" Joan asked.

"There is some...notoriety associated with your marriage to Marcus. The decision to introduce you at the gala will be seen as some what of a coup for Lady Huntington which she'll trade on without hesitation. In exchange, you and Marcus will be seen as accepted by one of the most powerful women in London. It will ensure your place within the ton as well as put to rest any lingering doubts over your marriage," Sabrina explained.

"All of that from attending one event?" Joan asked. She was no stranger to the workings of the ton but this seemed well beyond her capabilities.

"Not just any event," Sabrina clarified. "The gala is not your ordinary ball. It may appear the same as any other but there will be an...edge to the evening you won't find anywhere else."

"Have you ever attended?" Joan asked.

Sabrina nodded. "I have. It's not considered wise to pass on your first invitation to the event and as my father's daughter I was expected to attend. However, I found that Lady Huntington and her group are not so much to my taste. I haven't been back in years though I would attend this time around if I could, if only in a show of support for you and Marcus."

Joan set her tea aside and wiped her suddenly damp palms across her lap. "I'm not sure this is such a good idea. What if I do something to horribly embarrass Marcus?"

"My suggestion is that you just be yourself. You are charming and utterly without guile. In a room full of master manipulators your innocence will shine like an warm emerald in a room full of cold diamonds."

Joan flushed at the compliment. "Thank you."

A knock on the library door turned Sabrina's attention before she had a chance to say more. "Yes?"

Jared stuck his head in the room. "Madam Lisette has arrived, shall I show her in to the library?"

"No, thank you Jared. Please escort her up to my rooms, we'll continue this up there." Sabrina stood and gestured to Joan. "Come, Madam Lisette can work wonders even at the last minute."

Joan smiled feeling nervous yet hopeful. She had definitely made the right decision in seeking the duchess' help in this matter.

Two hours later Joan left after having tried on several dresses. Most of the elegant gowns were for some other unknown lady similar in size and color as Joan. Madam Lisette had assured her that it wasn't uncommon for dresses to be traded when unexpected emergencies came up.

In the end Sabrina had suggested a beautiful sapphire blue ball gown with a wide collar and deep neckline. Madam Lisette had guaranteed the alterations to the dress would be done in time to deliver it to Marcus' townhouse.

Joan had nearly fainted at the price quoted for finishing the gown in such a rush but Sabrina had simply thrown her a smile. "Marcus can afford it," she'd assured.

****

Rushing into the foyer, Joan called for the housekeeper as she started up the stairs. She still needed to bathe and do her hair before the dress arrived and thought to have supper brought to her room. "Mary!"

"Where have you been, wife?" Marcus stepped from his study having heard his wife's carriage pull up to the front of the house.

Joan stumbled on the stairs before catching herself. Grasping the banister, she peered over the side to find Marcus glowering up at her. "I had errands to run and a call to make."

"Exactly where were you?" Marcus asked again noting his wife's evasion.

"I had some shopping to do," Joan said.

"For the past four hours?" Marcus started up the stairs towards his wife. "Yet, I see no boxes."

"I'm having things delivered," Joan said backing up a step. Marcus didn't appear angry yet his demeanor indicated clear displeasure.

"What of this social call?"

Joan lifted her chin in subtle defiance yet took another step back as Marcus continued to stalk her. "I stopped by to see Lady Radcliff."

Marcus drew up short. "You called on Sabrina? Why?"

Joan also came to a quick stop. "Why do you care?" It was an unfair question and she knew it. Sabrina and Marcus had a history, as much as Joan might not like it, and it wasn't unreasonable for Marcus to be concerned as to the reason behind her visit with the duchess.

Marcus reached forward and grabbed Joan by the arm. "I asked you a question!" Marcus snapped. Noting the hint of panic in his voice, Marcus tried not to think about the times Sabrina had seen him at his worst. He trusted her, knew that she would never talk out of turn - even to his wife. Still, the thought of Joan learning about his past from Sabrina made Marcus' stomach pitch and roll.

Joan didn't miss the fear on Marcus' face and rushed to reassure him. "I needed her help, I have nothing appropriate to wear tonight and figured she was the best person to help on such short notice."

Embarrassed, Marcus released his wife and took a step back. "My apologies," he said. "I hadn't given any thought to whether or not you were prepared for something such as the Huntington's ball. We shall postpone."

"No!" Joan cried as Marcus turned to go back down the stairs. "Sabrina was able to help. The dress will be delivered shortly. I need only get ready. Please, Marcus," she added when it looked like he would refuse. "I understand about this evening and how important it is. I'll be ready."

Marcus considered his wife. She was watching him expectantly and appeared sincere. "Very well, I will meet you downstairs at ten."

Joan nodded and watched as Marcus returned to his study.

Joan spent the next several hours preparing for the night's entertainment. She took her time in the bath, careful to wash every inch & calling for Shelly to wash the long locks of her hair. Afterwards, she sat still as her hair was brushed dry, curled and piled on top of her head.

Sabrina had thought far enough ahead and offered the loan of a beautiful set of sapphires that matched Joan's dress perfectly. Ear-bobs, hairpins and a choker completed the outfit and added a element of sophistication that was new to Joan.

"You look lovely, my lady," Shelly said, picking up discarded underclothes, makeup pots & curling tongs.

"Thank you," Joan said and took one last look at herself in the mirror. Everything needed to be perfect. Tonight was her first night among the ton as Lady Edington. More importantly, it was her first night as Marcus' wife. She would be weighed and judged, her ability as nobility decided. After tonight, there would be little she could do to change the opinions of the ton.

Marcus stood waiting, drink in hand, as his wife appeared at the top of the stairs. For a moment he was completely sober, the sight of her instantly clearing his head. She was beautiful, a beacon of light in a world gone gray. He'd come to treasure their nights together, to depend on them - on her - to get him through the day. Each day was a journey towards her, more and more he told himself that if he made it through the day she'd be waiting for him. The thought of her, warm and welcoming, was enough to drive back the darkness.

Emptying his glass, Marcus turned to check himself in the mirror and saw what everyone else would see - a handsome man, everything the height of fashion even if his hair was a little long and his eyes a overly bright with drink. Nothing to indicate the darkness that ate him - nothing to remind them of his father.

"Marcus?"

Straightening an already perfect cravat, Marcus knew that the battle was lost. Tonight he would see his wife through her introduction into society. After that he would surrender to the ghosts - giving them their due.

"Marcus?" Joan had reached the bottom of the stairs and looked questioning at his reflection. "Are you alright?"

Turning, Marcus gave his wife what he hoped was a reassuring smile. "I'm fine. You look beautiful."

Pleased, Joan smiled. "You like the dress?"

Marcus took her hands and spread her arms wide. "The dress is but the wrapping. You, my darling, are beautiful. The color suits you, as does the cut." Turning, Marcus waited while the footman opened the door and led the way to the waiting coach. "I have been remiss in my duties as husband. I opened account for you with Madam Lisette with orders to provide you with an entirely new wardrobe. There is also a household account for you to charge whatever else you should need independent of the household expenses."

Joan considered her husband as he handed her up into the carriage, the smile on his face never quite reaching his eyes. The scent of alcohol had grown heavier over the past few days - the stale remnants lingering about Marcus as they made love an often accompanying him to the breakfast table, which he frequented less and less often.

She had hoped to grow closer to Marcus, first through their love making and eventually through simple days and nights spent together. Instead his love making had grown more desperate, him coming to her later and later while leaving sooner - often before she was even asleep.

Settling her skirts, Joan watched Marcus as the carriage pulled away from the front of their townhouse. "Have you attended the Huntington's ball before."

"Hmmm," Marcus answered noncommittally, staring out the window.

"Marcus?" Joan prodded.

"Yes?" Marcus turned to his wife.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Joan asked. "Perhaps we should return home, save this for another night."

Noting the concern on his wife's face, Marcus sought to reassure. With no small amount of effort, he forced himself to give her his full attention, pushing everything else out. "I wouldn't think of it. I'm fine," he said and flashed his best smile. "Besides, there is no saving this for another night. The Huntington's ball is the perfect venue for making our marital debut."

"Of course," Joan agreed.

Marcus settled back in his seat, his attention fixed on his wife as she chatted nervously. He understood her apprehension but didn't share in it. There was no one that could compare to Joan on tonight's guest list. She would be a rare flower in a garden of poison ivy. Her position would be secured after tonight's event. She would be free to move around in society - with or without him - and he would be free to face his demons.

Marcus nearly snorted out loud at his own thoughts. Face his demons. Right. He wouldn't be facing them so much as trying (unsuccessfully) to drown them. Tonight, he told himself, after the ball he would retire to his study and let them come.

"My lord?"

Marcus was drawn from his thoughts by the footman waiting to assist them from the carriage. Quickly alighting from the carriage he turned and offered his wife his hand. "Shall we?"

Joan hesitated for the barest of moments before slipping her fingers into Marcus' waiting hand. "Of course."

"Don't worry," Marcus said and lead her towards the Huntington's townhome. "Everything will be fine."

He didn't believe it either...

To be continued...