Every Man's Fantasy Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pepi was making such a fuss that Carlin had to go with her.

"Don't worry," Annela said, "You can come and see Freya whenever you want."

As Carlin allowed herself to be dragged down to the meadow to pretend interest in Jemima the Friesian cow, Ezra held the cloth open for Wildchild to enter. She kept her distance but he could see she was just as smitten as Tamar.

"You can hold her as well, if you want," he said.

Wildchild approached the bed and knelt down next to Tamar. She saw the serene joy on Annela's face and shared the fascination. She put out her hands and Tamar passed Freya over.

Wildchild held the baby in one arm, rocking her gently, stroking the back of her tiny hands. Freya half-woke and tried to grasp Wildchild's finger. Wildchild was enchanted. She turned toward Ezra and said the first words any adult Woodlander had yet heard her speak.

She said: "I want one."

* * *

The feast that night started early and lasted right up to the moment the rain started. Tamar sat next to her mother, who tried to encourage the excited girl to eat more; but there was so much to tell, it was a wonder anyone ate anything.

What was most noticeable was how much the girls had changed. Everyone could see the growing spurt the girls had put on, especially Tamar. She seemed to have grown three inches in the last three months. Even Carlin, who was never going to be very tall, had grown an inch or more.

The news also went around that Wildchild had spoken; but she remained silent now and even Tamar, an intelligent girl with lots to say, who usually spoke on behalf of the others, left the job that night to Carlin, who seemed to have conquered her great shyness.

When the normal chatter over dinner had ended, the tribe settled down in silent expectation. Carlin told the story of their trek to the White Mountains and back. How they passed through the forest and climbed the glacier to cross it at its narrowest point, backtracking to the tall volcano with its lizards and boiling pools. Then they set off across the parched steppe to the river and the five valleys. She described hunting the rabbits and Tamar's trick for catching trout. There were eagles, osprey and even a flock of quail.

The valleys contained caves made by the Miners but no one lived in them now. They explored the first four valleys up to the snow-line and then pressed on to the fifth valley where, finally, they met the last two Miners.

"We knew the valley was inhabited when we got about half-way up because we saw traps set for rabbits and nets in the river to catch fish. We sat down by the traps, lit a fire and waited for the Miners to find us."

"Which we did when we checked the traps that afternoon," Eloise said, taking up the story.

"Adarna and I saw the smoke from the fire and approached warily; but when we saw they were young girls, we had no qualms."

"We shouted a greeting from a hundred yards away and the girls stood up and waved. They seemed friendly, so we approached. They'd clearly come a long way because their clothes were rumpled, their hair bedraggled and their faces smudged with dirt."

"Then we both stopped. We were close enough to see their faces and this one" - she put her hand on Tamar's knee - "was uncannily familiar."

"Mum and I just stared and stared," Tamar said.

"Adarna pulled my arm and I understood that she had also recognised her, but I couldn't stop staring at her, at my Yael."

"Yael?" Mirselene asked.

"I knew it was her, my stolen baby. I had named her 'Yael'; and I wept for months after she was taken. I longed for her to come back but finally gave up hope ever to see her again. And then, there she was. Come to find me."

"I cried out 'Yael' but she didn't move; then Wildchild pushed her forward and we ran to each other. I was weeping."

She was weeping again now. The Woodlanders sat around the camp-fire with shining eyes, gazing sympathetically on the pair, silently hanging on every word.

"We held each other," Eloise continued. "It was beautiful. It made all the waiting and yearning seem like nothing. All the pain and regret went away, now my girl was back with me. I couldn't speak."

She hugged Tamar and kissed her forehead.

Adarna took up the story.

"We sat and talked for hours. We were amazed by how far the girls had come, how they'd found us. They had other amazing things to say, but when our astonishment was over, we collected up the rabbits and fish and brought everyone back to our cave."

"Their cave is at the top of the valley," Carlin added, "near the snow-line. It's cold outside but warm in the cave."

Adarna said, "The girls weren't used to the cold. It's warmer here in the forest, even now it's almost night."

"They stayed nearly a month with us. We showed them how we live, netting fish, trapping rabbits and foraging for vegetables."

"There's a hot spring in the mountains you can sit in," Carlin said. "The water is fizzy and it steams but it's cold when you get out."

"And there's a boiling mud pit that splutters all the time and stinks of rotten eggs," Tamar said, adding: "We loved the mountains. The peaks go on forever. But it's cold."

"The cold was one of the reasons the girls wanted to come back here," Eloise explained, "though there wasn't really any discussion. Adarna and I wanted to see the forest and meet all the Woodlanders."

Mirselene had a question.

"I'm told the rest of the Miners live in the Cloner City. Why did you two stay in the mountains?"

"That was due to me," Eloise explained. "About fourteen years ago, after the Herders snatched Yael, three of us (our chief, an elder and me), went to ask the Cloners to intercede with the Herders."

"It was a clear violation of the law and it should have been an easy case to adjudicate. Madam Law-Speaker was on our side, but the Cloner Chief was not. She delayed and delayed, making one excuse after another for why nothing could be done straight-away. I had to wait for the Cloner Fair; but when that came and went, she made another excuse."

"We Miners had to go home but we also had to decide what was to happen to the tribe because Yael was the only clone bought in ten years. We had so little to trade and had used up all our tokens. It took a another year or so but we decided the tribe had no future in the mountains. Everyone came to live in the Cloner City."

"Except it wasn't in the Cloner City. They put us to work with the Farmers. It was hard graft but we didn't complain. It was an even harder life in the mountains and very lonely. So we worked hard and we began to earn Cloner Tokens again, so the tribe is carrying on among the Farmers; but I wasn't satisfied."

"I couldn't stay there, knowing that the Cloner Chief could do something about Yael but chose to do nothing."

"Why did she do nothing?" Mirselene asked.

"The trade agreement with the Herders was precious to the Cloners," Eloise explained. "At that time, something changed. The Cloners began favouring the Herders above all the other tribes, even the Farmers; and they put up their prices every year, as you know."

"We know," Mirselene said. "I'll tell you our story later but we've only just started trading directly with the Herders again. Go on with your story."

"Well, a few years after the tribe left the mountains, Adarna and I became bedmates. She saw how unhappy I was there, so she said: Let's go home."

"It was better for me in the mountains. I could never be truly happy but I was less unhappy without having to see other women with their children. Adarna made a greater sacrifice, though, giving up her chance of a child."

"I didn't mind," Adarna said. "The Cloners were getting ever more parsimonious. I probably had no chance anyway."

"Well, it's not too late," Mirselene assured her. "As you know, things have changed recently. It's too soon to discuss your future but, now you have Tamar, er, Yael, back, there is no reason you need to return to the mountains."

"It is something to discuss," Eloise allowed.

They talked on into the night, until the rain made it necessary to end the feast. Ezra and Urulla had already retired to the Honeymoon Lodge and Annela was long tucked up in bed with Freya. Beds were found for the five adventurers and those who couldn't sleep turned over in their minds all the amazing events of the day.

***

Next day, Mirselene was in her element. That most well-organised of women, who delighted in organising others, plotting and, especially, formal agreements, planned a day of meetings.

She began after breakfast, having ensured the Woodlanders' guests had slept well and eaten heartily, by telling the tribe to stay nearby because there would be a meeting later. Shepherding Lenta, Casti and Parvinder into her hut for a conference of the Matrons, half-an-hour later she invited Eloise and Adarna to join them.

While the women talked, Ezra had a chance to speak to Wildchild and Tamar. He took them to one side for a private chat.

"You know I went to visit the Herders for a month?" he started.

"We do," Tamar affirmed, nodding.

"That I got on very well with Solange, who agreed to forgive you both?"

"Yes, we know." They weren't impressed.

"She makes no claim on Wildchild but she wants Tamar back, apparently because of the property you will inherit."

Neither girl responded to this information.

"I also spoke to Galatea and Judith. Do you want to know what they said?"

Wildchild maintained her pose of studied indifference but Tamar said "Yes, please."

She felt no resentment toward Judith and was happy to learn more. She also thought Wildchild ought to know about her mother as well.

"Tell us about Galatea first, please?"

Wildchild gave Tamar a stare but, as usual, she indulged her younger friend and stayed to listen to Ezra.

"Solange kept Galatea and me apart for the whole month," he explained, "until the very last day, when I had a short chat with her. I told her I was friends with you, Wildchild, and hoped to see you again soon. Then I asked her if she had anything she wanted me to say to you."

"'Just one thing,' she replied. 'I want my knife back!'"

Wildchild smiled bitterly and put her hand protectively on the fearsome hunting knife she always wore on her thigh. That was her answer.

"Tell me about Judith?" Tamar said.

"She's a sweet lady and is sorry for what she did. She loves you. She misses you and wants you back. I told her I'd say this to you."

"Thank you, Ezra. I miss her too. She'll always be my Herder mother."

"Well, I expect Mirselene and the others are discussing your futures as we speak. Is there anything you want me to say on your behalf?"

The girls exchanged one of their psychic glances and smiled.

"No, thanks, Ezra. We're content with things just the way they are."

With that interview concluded, they carried on their chores, not leaving the camp.

When Ezra was summoned as a courtesy to join the meeting, it was standing room only, so he leaned against the door-post. When Wildchild and Tamar were admitted, they had to sit on the floor, but the matter was swiftly resolved. Mirselene did all the talking.

"Wildchild: you are almost of age. Soon neither the Woodlanders, nor the Herders (nor your own mother) will have any claim over you; but we like you very much and want you to stay with us. Nothing has changed in that regard."

"Tamar, yours is a different case. We had no formal treaty with the Herders when we adopted you, and you were away from us when we did make a treaty, so the subject never came up; but now your mother is here, all those obligations are cancelled. Your first duty is to your mother."

"She can take you away with her. She can leave you with us, as a child of the tribe. Or she can ask to join us. Of course, Eloise, you need not decide now."

"Why cannot Tamar choose for herself what tribe she belongs to?" Ezra asked.

"By proper law and custom, a girl is the responsibility of her mother until she's eighteen. In her mother's absence, she's the responsibility of her tribe."

"I don't understand," Ezra said. "On Earth ..."

"I don't know how societies are organised on Earth, with its large population, but on Samothea, with our small communities, we are ruled by custom and moral obligation. It would be quite improper for Eloise to neglect her duty to Tamar, as it would be for Tamar to disobey her mother."

"The best thing," Mirselene concluded, blocking the chance of more interruptions, "is for Eloise and Adarna to try living here with us for a while and see if they want to stay. And, of course, Tamar is not without the power of persuasion, are you child?"

"No, madam. I'm a good persuader."

"Good girl! Now I have to speak to the tribe, so everyone out! Gather us all together."

Ezra was dissatisfied. He understood why Mirselene was jealous of the power of both mothers and the tribe, but the girls ('his girls,' as he thought of them) had proved they could look after themselves. The idea that Tamar was the responsibility of her mother was a legal fiction; but one in which Tamar seemed to acquiesce without protest. He was about to ask her what she really thought when he saw her holding her mother's hand, looking up at her.

Tamar's over-sized dress went down only to her skinny knees and she was barefoot. It gave her an urchin-like look which, added to the adoration with which she gazed on Eloise, reminded Ezra that she was still a child. His protest on her behalf vanished and he looked fondly on the beautiful pair, with their elegant sculpted features and their long golden hair.

When the tribe was assembled, Mirselene addressed them from the dais outside her hut.

"Ladies," she said, "we have four important events before us. The first is the trade-meeting with the Mariners and Herders at the end of the month. The second is the Cloner Fair five days later. The Herders have agreed to transport our tents, food and trade-goods, which is an improvement on previous years, but it's still a long walk, so I have some suggestions on who should go."

"Lenta cannot walk that far. She will stay and help look after Annela, who also cannot walk that far."

"Of course, I can!" Annela immediately protested.

Mirselene authoritatively squashed her protest: "No you can't, child," adding:

"Dipti, I think you should stay here as well."

Dipti was seven-months pregnant. It was usually a four-day journey each way. If the Herders carried their loads, then it was only three days; but her mother, Parvinder, supported Mirselene, so Dipti made no protest. Although Parvinder was known to be over-cautious, the complications of Freya's birth had recently proved her right, so her advice was incontrovertible for now.

"We want at least one more to stay in the camp. I need Casti with me for the negotiations; so who will volunteer to stay?"

"I'll stay," Ezra said.

"You're not coming anyway," Mirselene told him. "I have a different task for you."

"Thanks for telling me."

"Now, no petulance, Ezra. Wait until you hear what I've planned."

"I'll stay," offered Urulla. As Dipti's bedmate, it was natural she would volunteer.

"Good girl. You, Lenta, Annela and Dipti can run the camp for us."

"I would stay, but Pepi really wants to go," Sharne explained to Urulla.

"That's all right," Mirselene said imperiously on Urulla's behalf.

"So, Parvinder, Casti, Erin, Carlin, Pepi and I will go to the Cloner Fair."

Three questions came at once:

"How about Eloise and Adarna?" someone asked - "What about me?" asked Dagma - and "What about us?" asked Tamar.

Mirselene held up her hands for peace.

"This brings me to the third important item: Ezra's 'salvage operation' (as he calls it). I want it to happen as soon as possible, ideally during the Cloner fair. I assume you're prepared, Ezra?"

"I will be soon, Madam."

"Good man."

She addressed herself to Wildchild and Tamar.

"I also assume that, now there's peace between us and the Herders, you girls no longer have any objection to guiding Ezra to where his space-ship sank?"

Her complete assurance of a positive response was so compelling that Tamar answered "Yes" before she realised she had a choice. Even Wildchild seemed to agree.

"So, Eloise and Adarna: do you prefer to stay here, visit the Cloner Fair or take a trip to the sea-side? ... You can answer later, if you prefer."

"As for you, Dagma. I want you to be in the salvage party, as my representative."

"All right, Mum," she said, slightly disappointed at not going to the Fair but aware there may be compensations from the salvage trip.

"Lastly, ..."

She was interrupted by Carlin, bolder than ever, who spoke up.

"Please, Madam, can I be in the salvage party too?"

"Of course you can, child. Do you mind, Erin?"

Erin was getting used to having an independent daughter.

"What danger is there?" she asked, exercising her usual caution.

"Ezra?" Mirselene passed the question over to him.

"No danger at all to those who stay on land," he explained. "A slight danger to those on the Mariners' rafts who can't swim; and most danger to those of us who will dive down to the ship."

"You can join the salvage party if you want to, Erin," Mirselene generously offered; but Erin looked forward to the Cloner Fair. She was wiser now and understood the change in her daughter.

"You can go, Carlin," she said, knowing how grateful the girl would be that she made no fuss.

"That's settled," Mirselene said with satisfaction. "So to the fourth item. I hope I'm not the only one who's remembered it's Urulla's birthday in two days. We normally celebrate only an eighteenth birthday but our girl has gone through a lot this year. I promised her when she was ill that we'd have a party for her twentieth, so let's find something in the forest to make it a special feast."

"Meeting over," she declared, "Off to work!"

4 Urulla's birthday party

Next morning, Dagma borrowed Ezra's laser-knife and took Casti, Sharne and Dipti into the forest to show them something she found. It was a bee-hive, nestled in the angle between the bough and trunk of an oak-tree, about twenty feet above ground.

While Casti and Dipti foraged for dry wood and damp leaves to make a smoky fire, Sharne and Dagma fashioned a ladder out of a tall thin trunk by cutting chunks out every foot. When the fire was lit and the smoke smothered the hive, calming the bees, they laid the ladder against the oak tree.

Dagma wrapped strips of cloth around her wrists and ankles and around her neck. Casti threw her shawl over her head. Then, taking a clay pot and a long stick with a sharp spoon-like end, Dagma climbed the ladder.

From two feet away, she poked the spoon into the middle of the hive. The angry bees attacked the spoon and flew in disorientated frenzy around the hive as its robber spooned clear golden sweetness into the waiting pot. Some bees were caught in the sticky mess. Dagma ladled out another spoonful.

There were bees on her hands and arms and dangerously near her face now. She risked their anger to raid the store once more; then she climbed down as quickly as she could. The women ran away from the tree, chased by a handful of irate bees, who soon gave up and buzzed off in a zigzag path home.

The women helped shoo away any bees caught in Dagma's clothing, impressed by her courage and, even more, that she escaped without a sting. Of course, they wanted to taste the honey but Casti was firm: it was a present for Urulla and, if they were to start, there'd soon be none left. Reluctantly, the others agreed and, elated by their success, made for home.

When he got his pen-knife back, Ezra put the finishing touches to a metal knife with a horn handle he'd made for Urulla. The metal blade came from Calliope's boat and the horn handle from a Herder cow. He smoothed off the handle, slimming it down for Urulla's small hands, etching her name with thin laser burns.