All Comments on 'Facing the Past'

by PennLady

Sort by:
  • 52 Comments
sethpsethpover 14 years ago
Wow! Amazing! Great story!

I loved it. Great story, not my typical type of story but I loved it all the same. You are an amazing writer!

Sethp

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusover 14 years ago
Very well done/

I am glad you did not pretend that leaving made it all better! As Annabeth said, some of the bruises were gone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Excellent writing and....

....story development-pistolpackinpete

jack_strawjack_strawover 14 years ago
Beyond good

Too bad 5/100 is the highest you can rate a story. This deserves a 1,000, or, better yet, to be on the best-seller list. Not one single word out of place. Riveting characters and a well-paced plot. There's drama, tension, intrigue, passion, everything a good story needs. The only thing that might have made it a little better was resolving why Chris was there in the first place, or why Pete happened to be there at the same time. A holiday of some sort? At any rate, masterful storytelling.

naturallysweetnaturallysweetover 14 years ago
Loved it!

Great writing. This is just as good as any novel on the bookshelves. You have a great talent.

thefranzthefranzover 14 years ago
Great Story

Eyery romantic should read this. Absolutely great!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Very, very impressive story

Great narration and very sad. Shows how strong human sprit can be.

Thanks PennLady !

MugsyBMugsyBover 14 years ago
Very touching.

What a wonderful story of lasting love and the strength of a person. Of more than one person, really, if you count Chris. Very sad but at the same time, uplifting. A good, honest story. Loved it, PennLady, so glad you wrote it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Outstanding

Amazing story! I especially liked the ending where it appears that the mother (Karen) killed her husband, son, and herself to protect her daughter from those monsters. A bit anticlimactic, I'll admit, but a genuine act of redemption on the part of Karen towards her daughter. Four stars!!

Marines_Lady_15Marines_Lady_15over 14 years ago
Well, thank you for making me cry*

I hadn't read this submission yet... It was fabulous!

I smiled, I cried, I got angry... GREAT STORY!!!!

michchick98michchick98over 14 years ago
Just three words....

Fan-friggin-tastic! WOW! This isn't the first story I've read of yours (obviously) but clearly one of your best. I loved it from beginning to end. Absolutely outstanding. Okay, I'm done gushing now! :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Wow!

Outstanding story!

kathryn08kathryn08about 14 years ago
Great

I've read several of your other stories, so I wanted to read some more. So glad I did. If you ever get bored, you should definitely write a sequel to this so we can find out what happens next in the lives of these two. A really great story, I just wish there were more!

miedsalmiedsalabout 14 years ago
Centre of evil

I wonder how Ethan was before he married Karen. The real centre of evil appears to have been Eve. Once she had died Karen came to her senses and saved her daughter.

MoogPlayerMoogPlayeralmost 14 years ago
Wonderful Story!

I am a big fan of your work, and in doing so, you've never ceased to absolutely enthrall me with what you write. Keep it coming and I'll keep reading it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Outstanding

I loved it!! A great lesson about strong human spirits....excellent and very touching.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
waycool

little boy staring up at the sign, with his mouth hanging open, and his eyes wide. pure wonder on his face...

thats me, and i agree with the strong human spirit coment.

from anonymus... ;-]

ReadsalotReadsalotover 13 years ago
One of my favorites

I'm not a writer, at least not of fiction or poetry. So I am always amazed at what you can do with a story. I've read hundreds of the stories here, and you are a favorite. Keep up the excellent work.

meowman1990meowman1990over 13 years ago
oh my god

Seriously now you couldn't make me cry more if you shuved an onion under my nose but God as much as I like giving my own end to the story your little cliff hangers are killing me and you are now my favorite author thanks for another phenomenal story

tootalldaytootalldayover 13 years ago
I Told You I Would

I chose this story to introduce myself to you and enjoyed the story very much. Not only was it well told, but was almost entirely free of the errors we have discussed. LOL. I gave it a five.

naughtycouturenaughtycoutureabout 13 years ago
Amazing

Wow-- that was amazing. I teared up on more than one occasion and I could more than feel the pain of the characters. I appreciated the flashbacks... it made the story very easy to follow. Sometimes, when a story starts off with the "background" info first, you don't always retain everything as the story progresses. The way you wrote it was fabulous, because it gave the implication of what happened.... and then you went back and gave us the details.

Very well done... and I'm so glad for the happy ending. I guess her mom was right when she told Ethan that she would take care of it. After all those years of letting her be abused, her mom finally stepped up and did something just for her. She would have never been rid of them if she hadn't set the house on fire. Wow is all I can say!

SydneyBlakeSydneyBlakealmost 13 years ago
Very good!

There were some minor rewrites that I'd recommend, but they are minor. You did an excellent job of packing a 300 page novel into 50. That takes a truly gifted writer! Loved the characters, the plot development, and the happy ending. I look forward to catching up with the rest of your stories.

extemporeextemporealmost 13 years ago
Terrific!

Just an outstanding story! Good plot and excellent character development. It is a wonderfully moving story.

toby9790toby9790over 12 years ago
GREAT STORY!!!

This was a really great story. I like stories that have happy endings, such as this one. Great job. 5***** toby9790.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzover 12 years ago
A wonderful story

I believe there could be a sequel to this, telling about the love they share and their steps to overcome the horrors of her previous life.

Please, consider it.

Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Another great one.

This one is just as good if not better then your other stories. A strong build up, solid sex scenes, but I thought it a abrupt ending. I agree with some of the others here that this story should have a second part.....but of course that's up to the author. Please keep us posted not only on this story but any and all others as well.

hathorbr1hathorbr1over 12 years ago
Damn, you did it again!

Wow, I just love your stories. You are an amazing writer. Please don't stop!!!

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
Great

I am working my way through your stories having found you on the current "Rhythm and the Blue Line" (hope I got that right). You write very well and as others have said. please keep submitting these gems for us to enjoy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
awesome!

A story with a dark side, and very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
:)

I loved this story. The plot, the characters, the love scenes...it was just the perfect short story.

-YD

Sully_MSully_Mabout 11 years ago
Twisted.

I thought if was a heartwarming story. Nice twist with the mother though knowing it was an inescapable situation. Thank you for the story

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

excellent, emotional

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
wow...what an emotional roller coaster ride that was

Amazing just what she had to go through with her family and no one stood up for her except Chris and his mom but thankfully it all worked out....sad to say there are nasty people like her family around still...so glad the two of them found each other at last and have a happy life together to look forward to...a great story - loved it

smc331smc331over 10 years ago
Damn.

That is some FINE writing.

PennMusicPennMusicover 10 years ago
Another Great Story...

You are becoming one of my favorite writers on Literotica...Keep up the great work.

5 Stars

flodnarflodnarover 9 years ago
Awesome

They will burn in hell where they belong. Pure evil family, except for Nabby!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
So glad that...

Her mother woke up at the end. She said she'll handle it because she is the mother.

Too bad she didn't think of it sooner.

Nice piece, though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Weird language. Crazy usage!

I quote:-

"Now, you have some and visit with Annabeth. I'm going to go see Cassie."

What on earth do you mean by "visit with" in that context?

They are in the same room, for heaven's sake - he does not have to visit her!

Surely you mean, and should have written, "Now, you have some TALK (or CONVERSATION) with Annabeth. I'm going to go see Cassie."

SoMikeSoMikealmost 9 years ago
Nice little package...

Not novella length, but not so short as to result in poorly contrived plot points and endings. Perfect.

I'm about as much of a he-man as one could get, but the first-time love-making of Nabby and Chris was, well, quite touching. The tenderness with which Chris treated Nabby, contrasting as it did the daily horror of this sensitive girl's life, had me moved nearly to tears. I guess I'm an old softy by now. The seething menace of the father and brother lurking in the background--like a living, breathing nightmare--added a dread note to the tension created by Nabby's uncertainty about her chances with Chris, and her emotional and physical scars suffered literally at the hands of those two vermin.

Well done. It was a true pleasure reading this story.

bazreidsbazreidsabout 7 years ago
well done

Well written... the transition back and forth results in non stop reading

Thanks for your time

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Absolutely awesome!

This is a story I come back to re-read. It is a heart-wrenching, yet hopeful, triumph of love and the human spirit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Beautiful story.

I think I have a crush on Pennlady.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 6 years ago
There's always hope

It's trite, but this is a tale of continuing hope. Annabeth is crushed again and again, but somehow there's always a glimmer of hope deep down. We should always remember this althought it makes more sense to get away from the pressures and the evil that surrounds us all at times. It's too bad that it took 12 years to get her to reunite with Chris, but better late than never. I wonder if someone with her experience can ever fully recover from the treatment she endured. But she certainly should try and with Chris's help maybe they can find something good together. This was a well done story and I have to admire the slow, steady way this tale proceeds to a very bittersweet, yet satisfying ending.

WilCox49WilCox49over 5 years ago
@anonymous "weird language"

"Visit with" is fairly common, colloquial, American English, and has been for at least a century. Probably more common in the South, but it's used and understood in the North (where I grew up, though my family came from the South). Yes, it means to converse, but it strongly suggests spending time. It also suggests that it's being done in the home of one of the parties, but that's not always the case. It suggests friendliness (one can converse in a hostile manner) and informality.

All this can be verified easily enough. Just because you're unfamiliar with a word or phrase doesn't mean it's "crazy language"; sometimes it just means you haven't encountered it, or you forgotten having done so. I tend to be picky and overcritical about language myself, but this phrase is widespread and of long standing.

And you sure make it sound like this is a make-or-break point for the story.

PennLady, this one's another keeper. IMNVHO, anyway. Good job! (I know Anon won't be back to see what I wrote. I guess your story left me feeling a little over-protective. Sorry.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

Beautifully balanced; a wonderful compact piece of prose.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Nice sad story

This in the end was an interesting story, her mom finally got some courage and protected her daughter, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Overcritical’s naive wondering.

Overcritical wonders if Annabeth can ever recover. The answer is a big “NO”. I have dealt with many victims of childhood abuse and they uniformly suffer for the rest of their lives, in one way or another.

ausvirgoausvirgoabout 3 years ago

Loved the story!

While anonymous may be right about victims of childhood abuse uniformly suffering for the rest of their lives, fortunately she has a strong, kind, understanding and loving man to help her, she knows that her abusers are all dead, and IT'S ONLY FICTION, so I expect that she'll be able to leave it all behind and live happily ever after.

In reality, the fact that she fought back to the extent that she could, and never gave up, would also help.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Most comments are simple praise.

Overcritical's was like giving it a 10+ on scale of five.

Married to a Adult Survivor for 53 years. Love really helps the victim, but the memory remains hidden and the bad dreams occur occasionally.

From the counseling side: the greatest healing happens when the imposed guilt goes.

In a way that is true for all of us. We have to have faith in total forgiveness.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Pitiful that this writer allowed the beatings on a woman and child to continue for so many fucking years with fuck all being done on the bastards

kaotic2kaotic23 months ago

Pennlady, this was amazing. I absolutely loved it, but it really broke my heart. I'm glad they got together in the end. Thank you for writing this and sharing it with us.

AngelRiderAngelRider28 days ago

Fucking hell this was rough. In a good way. I see people like Annabeth everyday. It's very hard to maintain professional distance sometimes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPennLady@PennLady
1732 Followers
7/5/21: My story "Altering the Plans" has started posting. Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it, in terms of storytelling, as "mild", although I realiz...

SIMILAR Stories