Fall Ch. 04-08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Child of breath..."

"Don't argue with me Vaemius. Do this for me. Move." Verena stood still as they hesitantly moved away toward the library. "You know I keep my word, forgive me if I want to wait until they get inside."

"Of course. Forgive me if I require you to leave your coat, dispellers sometimes have unpleasant tricks up their sleeves."

"Oh, I promise if I had any unpleasant tricks for you at the moment I'd have pulled them out the minute you spread your wings." She eyed him with annoyance as she took off her coat.

"I didn't think you disliked me as much as you dislike Ezeviel?" He tilted his head slightly feigning surprise and hurt.

Giving a noncommittal shrug she offered glibly, "If I disliked you as much as I dislike Ezeviel there'd be a lot more cursing and a lot less civility happening right now. But I was taught it's rude to spread your wings on someone in the street."

He laughed quietly and folded his wings, "They're inside the door. Come along, little lamb." He held out his hand again and Verena stepped forward to take it against her better judgment. "Tell me, have you been continuing your book on the newly fallen?" His hand sent warmth, or at least the illusion of it up her arm, she wasn't sure which.

"Yeah. It's amazing how much nicer it is to write when you get fed regularly and you don't have to worry about being stalked."

"Would you consider writing one for us?" Caimrael ushered her into a waiting car.

"You seem to know them by name at least as well as I do, why would you need a book?"

"I'm more interested in who is guiding them to change their methods. Seducing a dispeller is difficult and not something they've shown interest in before."

"Aha, I hadn't realized I'd been seduced but you look like one of the masters of the craft so I'll take your word. Aren't I a little below your paygrade?" Verena smiled brightly at him.

"Are you trying to flatter me into talking about myself or clumsily avoid my questions?" His brown-flecked, black eyes reflected light almost like a cat's for a moment in the dimness of the car.

"I'm offended you think I wouldn't try both at once." She kept her tone light.

"I'm offended you're not doing a better job of it." The demon's lip curved disturbingly. "You're sharper than you've let us believe. You played the fool just enough to stay below notice, but, little lamb, you tilted the board a hair too far."

Time to play the fool again, she tried to find a calm apologetic tone, "I wasn't trying to tilt the board. The newly fallen learn quickly, if I talked them around to changing their methods-"

The demon's hand wrapped around her throat before she realized he was moving. "Don't test me, Ms. Alvar. They don't change their minds or ways that quickly. Which of them are you protecting?" Caimrael loosened his grip enough for her to speak.

"All of them." She didn't flinch away from his gemstone gaze.

"Do you know why dispellers are always so careful to remain neutral?" He released her and sat back.

"I do. And if you're going to punish them for my taking the third side in this mess then maybe they should reconsider neutrality." In the dimness it looked like his face rippled. "We do change that quickly, and humans are fun. If you punish us for something we haven't done, we'll fucking well do it."

"There is no third side. There is the Overarch and there is us. We were the first to question and the first to attempt to care for you. That should garner us some loyalty."

"If you had continued to care it might have. And you're wrong, there is a third side. My side. I don't want any of you mucking around with us but I'll take the help that's offered, and the newly fallen are good people. If they'd help put the boot to angels I'd have no further use for demons." Verena held his gaze as she spoke, putting all of her anger and conviction into the words. Her fingernail slowly scratched the complicated symbol into the skin of her hand. It would be temporary and it might not even work but it made her feel better.

"That was the principle the dispellers were founded on. Who first told you the newly fallen weren't dangerous?"

"They are dangerous if you're trying to move them along. But unlike demons and angels they spend their time outside of that helping. Feeding the hungry, tending the sick..."

"Something we've tried to eradicate. For-profit hospitals and restrictions on where, when, and how their pet projects can be taken on and completed." He blinked slowly. "Did you think I wouldn't notice you making that symbol? It tends to attract attention."

"How does it not surprise me that our corporate overlords are demons? Have your hands in the dispellers' pie too?" Verena made the last line not looking down.

"I've always loved that term, corporate overlords. Do you feel safer?" The way he smiled made her feel like she was on very thin ice.

"Not really. But if I started the incantation I doubt you'd be polite enough to let me finish."

"No demon would." The tip of his tongue appeared between his lips for a moment. "In your records, do you still have the name of the fallen who tried to bargain with us?"

"If we do it's somewhere not even I can look at it. I wasn't aware any of the fallen would do something so stupid."

"It wasn't stupid. It was clever." Caimrael adjusted himself in the seat getting comfortable. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. It wasn't much different from what you do."

"I've been warned I'm too comfortable with demons, I've worked with you too much." Verena scratched behind her ear and rubbed her neck. "I'm a little bit fond of a few of you. That's terminal in my line of work. I can't imagine it went any better for whatever misguided fallen made the attempt."

"True." He looked at her with speculative amusement before glancing down at a phone he pulled from his pocket. "Have you met Samatiel?

Verena snorted, "I dispelled her once. Didn't even need help to do it. Either she wasn't terribly interested in doing her job or you should consider replacing her with a pretty doorstop."

"I would imagine she viewed it as beneath her. Her job shouldn't bring her in contact with you."

"She's an organizer, yeah, I got that. Not all of them are weak sisters though. Ezenach, I'd call for help walking in the door if I saw that one. I worked with him twice and he's sharp."

"He seemed to think highly of you as well. The best of the dispellers. He even called you useful in the notes he sent."

"High praise." She inclined her head. "Why are you asking about Samatiel?"

"She's going to be helping you get ready. And we're almost there."

Laughing nervously, Verena shook her head. "Ready for what?"

"You can't go into an exclusive club looking like that." Caimrael gestured at her clothes. "I took the liberty of choosing a dress for you."

"I don't-I don't do dresses." She hadn't intended to sound quite as nervous as she did and it made the demon give a genuine laugh.

"So much bravado and it fades when you're faced with a pretty dress? I should keep you as a pet and bring you out every night." The viciousness of his smile made the hair on her arms rise.

"You are the first person that's ever made me want to be polite to Ezeviel. I might even be cordial to the son of a bitch if he'd put that sword through you."

The human face slipped and the mottled grey of the demon's true face showed through. The lips folded back on the teeth. "Child of breath, that isn't very polite."

If it had been the first time she'd seen that it might have had the effect he was looking for, instead it was like cold water and it helped to pull her back to a working frame of mind. "If you want polite you don't threaten to keep me as a pet and parade me around in dresses."

"You've seen a demon's face before?" He leaned toward her.

"I went drinking with Savmon, snake's blood and vodka shots. I might have even kissed him..." she put her hands up in a gesture of uncertainty, "things got really fuzzy into the second bottle. He knows how to have a good time. And I didn't have to change clothes."

He leaned back and put the human mask back in place. "They chose you because you're peculiar. You were clearly made for a purpose." He smoothed his beard, "That puts you in my paygrade."

"I'll be sure to send the Overarch a sternly worded letter for that."

The teeth that showed in his smile were definitely not human this time.

°°°°°°°°°°

Seven

Vincent watched on the outside security cameras as Verena wheeled the cart out of his view. And then came the explosion. Aimee was moving toward something with the coat and she looked angry, that could only be a good sign.

When she came back into view she was dragging Verena by the arm, "Yes! She's- she's got a friend." Verena was holding onto a homeless woman's hand.

They passed through the cameras' view again before the homeless woman and Aimee came running back to the library doors. "Master Bile? Aimee is bringing..." The alarms at the doors blared.

Watching on the screens, the homeless woman stood patiently near the doors not trying to go farther. Aimee glared at her before shouting up to the cameras, "It's a newly fallen, there's at least one demon outside and Verena," she swallowed visibly.

"The child of breath chose to sacrifice herself for the two of us. I will speak with her roommate and then I will depart."

"Roommate?" Master Bile frowned at the screen.

"I think she means me. We joked I spent so much time with her..." Vincent looked at Master Bile nervously. "She said they were friendly."

Pressing a button Master Bile spoke to the pair, "Come into the side hall, both of you." Part of the wall came open and Aimee ushered the fallen into it. "Go see what it needs to say to you."

The side hall was well protected, if the newly fallen made a move to harm him, Vincent knew it would be dispelled immediately. He tried to keep from shaking as he entered the confined space. "I'm-"

It looked at him with eyes like smoky quartz and smiled. "You have a kind face, I can see why she would share her space with you."

"Are you-are you Vaemius? The one with the book? She said you'd be at home here." The feeling of fear faded as its eyes lit up.

"I am. She and I both prefer libraries to most other places."

"Why does she want you to speak to me? Why didn't she come back with the two of you?"

"Caimrael was waiting. He's been hunting for her since he met her and she escaped him. Whatever he wants from her" the fallen hesitated, "he rarely fails."

"She said he looked 'top shelf'. I think she was afraid of him."

"She didn't seem afraid," Aimee muttered. "I heard she was a pro but..."

"You can tell when she's afraid, she raises her voice." Vaemius corrected Aimee gently. "But she's seen their wings before. Their faces are no better."

"I think I know why she wanted you to speak to me." Vincent had been listening carefully. "She wants you to tell me what you know about him so that we can find her and dispel him."

The fallen studied him, "You would require someone stronger than one of us to assist you." She exhaled, "Ezeviel wishes to speak with her, he may be persuaded to come or to send Elosiel. But she would have to agree to be civil."

"I might be able to help with that." Vincent nodded. "Does it have to be Ezeviel?"

Vaemius smiled ruefully, "It does. She was adamant she wouldn't speak with him. Are you certain you could persuade her?"

"Tell her it's the price for you helping us with the information on Caimrael. If you tell her I agreed to it on her behalf she'll do it. Whether she'll ever speak to me again is another matter." Vincent found himself returning the fallen's rueful smile.

"For that price, I'll tell you all I know of Caimrael."

The door in the wall opened and Master Bile stepped in. "You can stay in Verena's room until it's finished. She said the newly fallen require food and water like a human, we'll provide all you require. There will be wards ensuring our safety in your presence, of course, and you may not go anywhere but your room and the writing room."

"I thank you."

"I hope you'll be as kind and considerate as she claimed." Master Bile gave the fallen a stern look.

"It's easy to be kind and considerate to those who are respectful."

"If anyone is disrespectful, have the matter brought to me." Master Bile inclined his head. "Vincent, I put her in your care. All she needs is your responsibility."

"Yes, Master Bile."

"Master?" Vaemius inquired curiously, "Not Uncle?"

"Librarians are more traditional in that respect." Master Bile answered ushering her out and through the temporarily disabled security. "Do you need food or facilities? Or can we put you in the writing room immediately?"

"I can write for a time." Vaemius conceded.

"You won't be the one doing the writing."

°°°°°°°°°°

Eight

"You are fucking kidding me." Verena crossed her arms already feeling naked just looking at the dress she was expected to put on.

"Caim has lovely taste," the demoness' smirk suggested that she was enjoying herself.

"I'm not wearing that."

"You will. You're expected and the homeless don't get in the door here." Samatiel's eyes were an opaque, gold-brown and they flashed with amusement.

"I won't. That..." Verena gestured at the dress, "That's not happening."

The demoness attempted to spread her dark brown, nearly black wings intimidatingly and Verena launched into one of the stronger dispelling incantations she'd memorized. Dodging as Samatiel incredulously tried to interrupt her and not stumbling over the words.

The door opened and Caimrael peered in with vicious amusement as Samatiel vanished from the room.

"That was rude, child of breath."

"You put me in a room with a weak sister who spread her wings at me trying to be intimidating. She's lucky I don't have my bag." Verena snapped. "And I am not wearing that."

"Your armor isn't a secret anymore, why are you being so modest?" He opened the door entirely and leaned in the frame. The dark, tailored suit he was wearing couldn't be mistaken for anything someone would wear to an office.

"I don't like being stared at, and I definitely won't like being stared at wearing half of a sparkly hand towel."

"It's a very expensive dress." Caimrael looked amused.

"I'm sure it is. You get less food the more you pay for it, too. I didn't expect you to have more money than sense." She eyed the smiling demon warily.

"If I let you use your armor, would you still have the same objections?"

"I would. But I might trade the discomfort for the security." Verena narrowed her eyes.

He drew a silver pen from a pocket she hadn't realized was there and tossed it to her. "Do what you need to do and dress."

They wanted a good look at her armor. That's why the dress was so skimpy and that's why she was being allowed to have a pen and speak the incantation. She took a deep breath. The lines had felt like they were burning under her skin, this wasn't a party trick to pull out except in case of emergency.

Picking up the dress she moved to the bathroom and checked the mirror for two way glass and the vents for cameras. No windows, and the vents were tiny. Verena traced the symbol on her hand. He'd feel that. If she was doing what he expected, would he wait in the doorway or would he wander off for a minute was the next question. If she was left alone she could use the pen to try to summon help.

"Don't even think about it." His voice was on the other side of the door.

"Bag. Of. Dicks." She muttered under her breath.

The symbol might keep her safe enough for now. With it in place, she could call up the armor if she was given a chance, and considering they wanted to see it, they probably would. It might not be enough to let her walk out the front door unscathed but if she could keep the pen to mark the floor, she could call for help.

Verena changed clothes reluctantly. The dress was as small as it looked. If she tried to pull the skirt down to cover more leg the back came low enough to show the top of her ass crack. The front was cut almost to her navel hanging loosely from spaghetti straps and the silver material looked just this side of sheer.

The underwear barely covered anything either, but they were better than nothing. The way the thin straps sat so low across her hips made her feel like they were falling off. Folding her clothes, Verena came out feeling ready for a fight.

"I told you so." The low voice made her want to turn around and go back to put her clothes back on.

"You did. I'm a little disappointed." Caimrael approached with the bulkier looking Savmon. "All that fight and nothing to show for it?"

"If I have the mark drawn on I can call up the armor if I need it. It's not a party trick and I'm not going to cooperate at all if you're going to go out of your way to make me uncomfortable." She realized she was holding the pen like a dagger as Savmon approached her from the side and carefully took it out of her hand.

His ruby eyes were so dark as to almost appear black, and set in the broad face he chose, she found them somehow mesmerizing. It took effort to look away.

"She likes my eyes." Savmon offered dryly.

"What was it she said? Pretty screams danger?" Caimrael eyed her speculatively. "We'll do things your way, Savmon."

Savmon brought her a long light jacket, black on black in an embellished military style. "It's borrowed, but it should fit."

Verena pulled it on before he could change his mind, buttoning it all the way and smoothing it. It was snug but fit well enough. "Thanks. It would probably fit better if they hadn't fed me so well the last three months."

"I didn't want to mention how you've... filled out." Savmon's careful words drew a laugh despite herself.

Letting Savmon escort her out with Caimrael trailing behind, she inquired cordially, "What have you been up to?"

"My job, and you?" The slight curve of his lip as he glanced at her said she was going to have to work for information.

"Writing, shelving books, that sort of thing. You didn't happen to try to blow up the library did you?"

"Why would you suggest that?" His eyes shimmered faintly.

"Because if anyone can come up with two options for repayment and make blowing up the library look like the best one it would be you. You have a knack for giving really awful jobs."

"You never complain." He'd straightened proudly.

"Of course not. I know the value of your time."

Barking a laugh, he gave her a grin with entirely too many teeth, "Flatterer."

"Only a little," she kept her tone light and playful. "You're one of my favorites to work with, and not just because you smacked Ezeviel with that war hammer of yours."

He purred at her viciously, "Looking forward to being skull fucked and dragged to hell?"

"It's a better option than being kept as a pet by a jackass who thinks Samatiel is good for anything but a doorstop."

His laughter echoed in the hall and raised the hair on her neck. "I like having you alive, for now. None of the other dispellers are quite as amusing." His hand rested on the small of her back as he propelled her out into a loud room full of people and demons.

Glancing around she had trouble recognizing eyes in the dimness, the colorful flickering lights didn't help. A few of the wings were distinctive enough that she thought she knew a handful of them. So many in one place shouldn't have been possible without someone knowing about it. What they'd do about it though... it would take an army of dispellers and they'd need to be backed by angels most likely. That's not something that would happen.

She sat at the table Savmon pushed her toward, sliding in grudgingly as Caimrael joined them. Being caught between the two demons was annoying. Even if the opportunity to slip out arose she'd be unable to take advantage of it.