Falling for Jennifer Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Then what shall I call you?"

Tobias considered quickly. He was happy to relinquish the trappings of his office for this woman but instinct warned him that she probably valued them. It would be better to wait, perhaps, to see what she wanted. "The correct term is 'Your Excellency'", he replied, "but I find it a little over bearing. How about 'Your Grace'?"

The coffee arrived and he sipped it thoughtfully, regarding the young woman before him. "You said the other day that your priest could not offer what you seek, Miss Cardoza," he said gravely. "May I ask what that is? Perhaps I can help."

Millie nodded. "My parents, God rest their souls, were killed in a car accident a few years ago -' she acknowledged his murmur of sympathy with a small nod. "They left me in a fortunate position - a nice apartment and a considerable endowment, so I live comfortably with no need to work." She smiled ruefully. "I suppose it is the dream of most people - you know, not to have to worry about the future, and I am truly grateful for the Lord's providence. But despite my good fortune, I find my life empty...lonely, even." She sipped at her glass, her eyes on the Bishop's face. "I've tried connecting with people, I really have, but in many cases I find my wealth is a barrier, and even where it is not, I find people shallow. Is that awful of me?"

Tobias wondered about the professional title on her card, but let it pass. "We can only find what we really desire in the bosom of the Church, Miss Cardoza, and sometimes not even then. I assume that's the problem you had with your Priest?"

"It was. He was content to talk in the confessional but would not engage beyond that."

"And what sort of engagement did you expect?"

"Far more than he was prepared to offer, Your Grace." She leaned forward and rested her hand on the sleeve of his jacket. "I need someone in my life I can trust and respect. Someone who is pure in body and spirit, and will not take me or my possessions for granted."

"I understand." Tobias was keenly aware of the touch of her hand. Was it a simply a demonstration of trust in him, as a minister of the church, or was it something else? Perhaps a little sign that she craved more than words? He examined her face for clues but, unlike so many of the other women he had possessed, this one was difficult to read. Her honey coloured eyes were on his and in their depths he could only detect a glimmer of amusement and, perhaps, a flicker of promise. It was there for just an instant but was enough to elicit a tingle of excitement in his belly, just as a hunter might feel when he first sights his prey.

"The bible has many things to say about wealth," Tobias continued, "but the one I often think about is in the book of Revelations." He closed his eyes for a moment, recalling the passage he required, and he quoted it in the honeyed tones of a sermon. "You say, "I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing. But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." He opened his eyes to see puzzlement on her face, and hurried to explain. "The language is divine, Miss Cardoza - don't you think? And it perfectly describes most wealthy people - but not you. I think you already understand the shallowness of wealth and the value of spiritual comfort."

Millie nodded. "I believe that is right, Your Grace, but it has been hard to find anyone who understands that."

"Then I would be honoured if you would allow me to offer you comfort and friendship, in whatever way you wish."

She nodded in acknowledgement and they were silent for a few moments. The cafe was busy and he saw that she scrutinised every person who came in, almost as if expecting someone she knew. He didn't mind - it gave him a chance to study her carefully: the oval face set on a long, graceful neck; the full lips and high cheekbones giving a kind of regal appearance. He saw that her hair, which he'd thought just pinned up, was exquisitely coiffured, with plaits intertwined in the dark glossy swirls. He noticed the expensive accessories, too: the Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses; the slim Paiget Gala watch, perfectly matching the silver earrings and pendant. The latter was fashioned in the shape of a heart embracing the cross of Jesus, lying just above the hint of her cleavage. Simple jewellery that spoke of wealth, but without vulgarity. Everything about this woman reinforced his early impression of breeding and class.

Millie became aware of his scrutiny and smiled. "That's very kind of you, your Grace, and I'm happy to accept. Perhaps we might have dinner one evening? I live not far from here."

"Maybe it would be better to get to know one another through the ministrations of the Church," he replied smoothly. "I hold Mass in St Patrick's Cathedral every Sunday, though the mornings are busy. If you attended the evening service, I can offer counselling afterwards in my sacristy." He watched her closely.

She nodded slowly. "Of course, Your Grace, if that is what you think. I'll be there this Sunday. May I take confession first?"

"Certainly, my child." He glanced at his watch. "Now, I must go. I'll look forward to seeing you then."

Millie pressed her lips to the proffered episcopal ring, and watched as he walked away. Normally men were in a hurry to get into her bed, but this one seemed cautious. No matter - there was no rush. She could be patient.

*

As he drove home, Bishop Tobias thought about the meeting he'd just had. There was no doubt that Amelia Cardoza was an attractive woman, and if she really did want more than spiritual guidance he was perfectly positioned to provide it. He spent a pleasant few minutes thinking about her body what he would do to it if the opportunity presented itself.

But there was something about the situation that urged caution. Her story was plausible but her eyes disturbed him: those almond-shaped eyes, with honey irises shot through with strands of filigree gold. They should have been filled with expression - laughter, sadness, apprehension or desire. They should have been windows into her soul, the means to express all that was happening behind that beautiful face: but they were not. A word popped into his mind to describe them: predatory. They were eyes of a leopard - flat, vigilant, calculating, cold; taking in everything but giving little in return. The eyes of a hunter.

For the first time Tobias felt a prickle of real apprehension - she was delicious, it was true, but with an aura of danger. He would need to be careful, and, if his suspicions were true, he could show no mercy. He would fuck her bloody and leave her to crawl into a gutter, regretting she'd ever met him, and he would move on to safer, sweeter prey. He felt his senses quicken. This was going to be fun.

The thought of taking her forcefully reminded him of his first sexual conquest, with his cousin Suzannah. She'd been a plain faced girl but there was nothing wrong with her body, which was luscious. Better still, she was just beginning to explore her sexuality, which gave that delicious blend of ignorance, innocence and unrequited desire. Suzannah Wilson had been ripe for the taking, even though she hadn't realised it.

He'd put up with her teasing for a week or two, waiting for the right moment. It came one evening when the parents went to a movie and they were alone, something Suzy had seemed happy with - to begin with at least. She'd hooked into the wine cask in the fridge and then laughingly suggested an impromptu striptease to 'see what each of us has got.' But the young John hadn't been interested in games and, after subduing her with a blow to the side of the head, had tied her to a bed and fucked her vaginally for an hour or so, before finishing off in her ass. He could still remember the tightness of those two virginal rings, and her shrieks as he took her in each one.

The sound of a car horn broke his chain of thought and Bishop Tobias waved an apology and drew away from the green light. He recalled with satisfaction the final moments with his cousin - the long jets of his seed entering her body, the groan of utter dismay as she felt them. He recalled the whiteness of it, dribbling from her anus as he withdrew; and his laughter as he watched her curl up, sobbing. He wondered what had happened to Suzy: the family had moved to Perth shortly afterwards and not a word of what happened had ever been said. It was as it should have been - she was just a cheap tart who had deserved everything he'd done to her. And it had been prophetic, too, as she'd shown him just how strong he was, and how he could take whatever he wanted. It was something he'd never forgotten.

As he locked his car in the underground car park and walked to his lift, John Tobias thought how he'd used those skills for most of his life, and how he would use them again. Not necessarily for Millie Cardoza, who might yet be what she said she was, but certainly for Jennifer Griffith. He had plans for her, and it was going to be a hell of a ride.

*****

"We've got it," Rose Mulquinney said.

David felt a surge of excitement at her words. "Is it enough?" he asked.

"Everything you ever dreamed of and more. You can bury the prick, if you want to." She paused delicately. "This is pretty sensitive stuff, though. Perhaps we should meet...there's things best not said over the phone."

They met at the same café, Rose waiting for him at a secluded table with a smile and a kiss on the cheek. She'd already organised drinks and she sipped hers quietly, waiting for him to speak.

He settled in his chair and regarded her appreciatively, noting the perfect hair and make-up and the expensive dress. This lady had a hell of a lot of class, despite the stigma of her profession. "How are you Rose?"

"Good thanks. And you?"

He grimaced briefly. "Too busy. I'd like to slow down the world and get off for a day or two."

"Then do it."

"Not up to me, my friend, and business is business. Speaking of which, how is yours?"

Rosie smiled. "Booming. You know the old expression? Nothing is more certain than death and taxes?" she saw him nod. "Well, they should have added a third - that rich old men will always be happy to buy young pussy."

He laughed. "God is cruel, isn't he, to keep men's sex drive going even when their bodies are old and wrinkled. Maybe he should turn it off at 70."

"Then I'd be out of business - most of my clients are over that." She looked around the room. "Just like in here. I guess it's indicative of our ageing population."

"What do your girls think about going with old guys?"

She shrugged. "They get very well paid to do a job, and if they don't like it they can always look for another. Besides, older men tend to be more docile, and don't last as long."

"How did our friend do?"

Rosie examined him quizzically. "Do you know anything about him?"

"Nothing more than I told you."

"Well, he's different David...not to look at, nor in his speech or mannerisms, but -" she stared across the room for a moment, thinking. "I put one of my best girls onto the job - not just to do the deed, but to be the honey trap. It's the first time we've done that, and I thought it would be pretty easy." She smiled faintly. "If you saw Millie, you'd know what I mean. There's not many men would pass up the opportunity if she offered herself. Surprisingly, it took three meetings before she got him in the sack."

"That's not why he's different though, is it?"

Rosie sighed. "No. She saw me afterwards and asked that she never be assigned to him again."

"Is that unusual?"

"Occasionally we'll take a client off our books altogether, but that means he doesn't get to come back at all. It's very rare for one of my girls to refuse to service a particular client."

David had never thought about the operation of a brothel before and was intrigued. "What would make you take a client off your books?" he asked.

"If their personal hygiene isn't up to scratch, or they start asking the girls to do something we don't cater for." She saw his expression "You know, like bringing their Doberman Pinscher in on the act, or wanting to tie their girl up with barbed wire before they shag her."

"Jesus!" David was shocked. "There's not much nice about men, is there?"

Rose smiled. "On the contrary - ninety five percent of them are lovely, and I've got a new Porche Cayman parked outside to prove it. But then there's the others."

"And where does our friend fit in on the spectrum?"

"That's the thing, David. He didn't do anything untoward." She nodded at the little thumb drive on the table in front of her. "You'll see when you watch that."

"So why did Millie want to be taken off the case?"

Rose shrugged. "She said he was weird."

"Weird? How?"

"I asked her the same thing and she couldn't really explain. She just said he was very charming when they met, but as she got to know him she realised he was evil. It's not a word I've ever heard my girls use before." She smiled faintly. "Evil, and Millie is not one for fanciful language, so I believe her. She also said he was malevolent, like a poisonous spider waiting in a corner of his web to kill something."

"But he didn't hurt her?"

Rose shook her head. "No. But when you watch the video I think you'll understand what Millie was saying. You see, my clients want the girls to like them - it's an ego trip...you know, young girl fancies older man. It makes them feel good, so they work at making the relationship work, even if it's only for an hour or two in a bed. But this guy didn't care - he was utterly ambivalent. He didn't hurt her, but I don't think he would have minded if he had. He was...indifferent to her." She reached forward and grasped David's hand. "I think you're right to be worried about him, and I think you need to be careful."

David squeezed her fingers and sat back in his chair to think. He didn't know Bishop John Tobias. He'd never even seen him, but he remembered how he'd manipulated Jennifer all those years ago, with his grandiose sense of self-righteousness and utter lack of remorse as he dismantled her life with lies and innuendo. What he'd just heard added to the picture: of a man who had few emotions, prepared to take what he wanted without a shadow of guilt. These were the characteristics of a psychopath, and David felt a tingle of apprehension go down his spine.

"Did he preach religion to Millie?" he asked.

Rose shook her head. "She pretended to be a fervent Christian who wanted the close companionship of a priest, and he responded to that - you know, offering his personal comfort on behalf of the church and so on. But once he figured she was good for the sack he dropped that charade." She smiled faintly. "Millie asked him to wear his ecclesiastical robes while he screwed her, but he didn't, more's the pity. It would have looked good on the video."

"But he's still a Bishop of the Catholic church who is quite prepared to break his vows of celibacy - not to mention blackmail, extortion and theft."

"That's right. Millie sat in his cathedral a couple of times when he was officiating. She said he presented as a pious man whose sermons were full of the righteousness of God and what will happen to those who break His laws. The fact that he's lining his pockets and getting his end away in the process doesn't seem to worry him a bit. That's why he's dangerous, David - he utterly believes he can do whatever he wants, and he's totally immoral."

David nodded slowly. It was clear that Jen had been right: Tobias would come after her. He'd been capable of violence fourteen years ago, and would certainly be capable of it now. He might even be planning how to harm her right now.

He reached into his pocket and slid a thick envelope across the table. "Thanks, Rose," he said, "here's what we agreed on. Cash, and no questions ever asked."

"And here's what you wanted." She picked up the thumb drive and handed it to him. "I hope it works for you."

"I hope so too."

Rose drained her glass and stood up. "If you ever need anything, just let me know," she said softly. "I mean anything at all, David. We're old friends, don't forget, and friends need each other." The look in her eyes made the meaning clear.

For a moment David was taken by surprise, but then he remembered the stories he'd heard of this woman: bright, successful and...alone. He suddenly realised that for all her wealth and beauty the number of people who liked and respected her, as he did, were probably few, and she would value that. She must get lonely sometimes.

A vision of Jennifer's face slid into his mind: soft, lovable, dependable Jen, with her beautiful nature and a generous spirit. "I have all I need," he replied gently, "but thank you, Rose, I really mean that. I hope we can stay in touch."

He watched her walk away, and his mind turned towards the problem of the Bishop. Neither he nor his sister had wanted this fight and would have been happy to drop it if Tobias had left them alone. But what he had just learned told him the stakes were too high to sit and hope for a good outcome. He must take the initiative and put a stop to it once and for all.

He stared at the little drive in his hand. If Rose was right it could be the answer, but he just had to think of a way to make sure it was.

*****

The Most Reverend Peter Delgigante, Archbishop of the Diocese of Bunyong, settled himself behind his desk and waited for his visitor to arrive. The room was sparsely furnished, which suited his austere lifestyle: a simple desk unadorned by trinkets or ornaments, a wardrobe in which he kept his gowns and a set of civilian clothing, and a sideboard containing the accoutrements of his profession.

His eyes rested on the far wall for a moment, regarding the large wooden crucifix affixed there. His predecessor had had a smaller one but the Archbishop Delgigante's eyesight was not good and he liked to be able to discern the figure of Christ upon it without having to change his glasses.

There was a tap on the door and Deacon Williams ushered in his visitor: a youngish man, smartly dressed and with a pleasant face. Peter rose to his feet and greeted him.

"Mr. Griffiths, welcome to my Dioceses - please, have a seat." He waited until the figure was settled before resuming his own chair on the far side of the desk.

"I must say," he remarked, "your visit is something of a mystery to me. Most visitors let us know what it is they wish to discuss, or at least hint at the subject. You, on the other hand, are an enigma, Mr. Griffiths, as you say it is a matter of the utmost urgency but have declined to say why." He smiled to rob his words of any offence.

David nodded in understanding. "Thank you for seeing me at such short notice, Your Eminence, and I apologise for not being a little more open. It is not only an urgent matter, but one of considerable sensitivity, as you will see." He stooped to the briefcase beside his chair and extracted a large manila envelope. "I understand that Bishop John Tobias is an Auxiliary Bishop in your Archdioceses?"

"He is."

"And that you, as a more senior official of the catholic church are his superior?"

The Archbishop shook his head. "Technically, no. Bishops in Australia have only the Holy Father as their superior - but as he is an Auxiliary Bishop in my Archdioceses he reports to me in administrative matters."

"So how would discipline be enforced in the case where a Bishop is found to have breached the oaths of his office?"

"If this is about sexual abuse then the Holy Father has recently issued guidance for cases where Bishops have failed to properly handle them. It provides for an investigation by four Vatican offices who have the power to remove him from office, if need be."