Fathers and Sons Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We've got another problem." said E.J. Jefferson. He hooked his laptop up to the monitor on the nearby wall and brought up a file. "This is what Mrs. Russell is telling the ADA."

The tape ran, showing Mrs. Russell saying "I am saying to you now, and will say under oath in Court: the sex was consentual. There was no rape. I saw it all. That whore Jayne Hallerton came on to my husband, and they engaged in consentual sex."

"How did she get those bad bruises on her face, then?" asked a female Officer.

"My son Billy did that." said Mrs. Russell. "He beat the crap out of Jayne when he came in and found her having consentual sex with my husband."

E.J. ended the tape playback and said "Obviously this contradicts what Jayne and Billy are saying. Our Officers and Police Psychologists are trying to probe Mrs. Russell with specific questions, but she's not taking any bait. She's avoiding some questions, but always brings it back to Jayne and Billy as the aggressors."

"Damn." Cindy said. "Stockholm Syndrome and then some."

"Maybe a little more practical than that." I said. "She throws her husband under the bus, and what does she have left? No income, his wealth and power base gone, a son that hates her and a daughter that doesn't give a rip, if I don't miss my guess..."

"And you never do." Cindy said bleakly. "Unfortunately."

With that, having no more to do with this case, we made our goodbyes and drove towards home. We stopped at Molly's, where the boys were very excited to see Daddy on a weeknight. I took everyone out to dinner, and I talked to Ian and Ross while Cindy and Molly gossiped. Then I tucked the boys in at home before Cindy and I headed on to my own Town & County.

"I just don't get to see them enough." I said wistfully. "Not blaming Molly in any way, but I'd love to see them every day, like I do Carole and Jim."

"You do pretty well with that." Cindy said. "Most weekends at The Cabin, weekdays here and there. At least they and their mom are close by."

"Yes." I said. "In that, I am blessed, and will stop bitching about it." Cindy smiled at that, and I suspected that smile contained an unspoken biting, sarcastic remark...

Part 20 - Accolades

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, August 9th, from in front of the Federal Office Building. "Fox Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of yesterday's arrest of U.S. Senator Samuel Russell!"

Bettina began: "Senator Russell has been accused by Jayne Hallerton, a former student at the University, of forcible rape. Charges of assault and battery were also added when Billy Russell, the Senator's son, was accosted by Russell's security when Billy tried to help Ms. Hallerton. Billy Russell and Ms. Hallerton allege they were severely physically beaten by the security personnel upon Senator Russell's orders."

"However," said Bettina, "Senator Russell furiously denies the charges, and his wife so far has corroborated his story that the sex was consentual, that Billy Russell was the aggressor and beat up Jayne Hallerton after discovering her having consentual sex with Billy's father. Reaction around the State was swift. Roll tape."

"This needs to be thoroughly investigated." said Republican U.S. Senator Richard Nunn. "And Senator Russell needs to step down as U.S. Senator."

"There are disputed accounts of what took place." said Lt. Governor Graham Collins. "We need to discover the truth, and remember that a person is innocent until proved guilty."

"There's no doubt in my mind that this is a story created by a tramp and her sleazebag boyfriend." said House and Ways Chairman Wilson Hammonds. "Senator Russell is a fine, upstanding man, and his wife speaking on his behalf just proves that he is innocent of these charges."

"Senator Russell is typical of the sleazebag Republicans that trample on the rights and bodies of women." said Patricia Iceland, head of the State Organization of Women, the SOWs.

"Typical Republican sleaze." said State Rep. Elijah McKinney of Southport. "Republicans hate women, think they're only good for being raped."

"I'll just say one thing." said State Senator Katherine Woodburn. "Commander Donald Troy has not treated this case like a false accusation! He led the Officers that made the arrest of Republican Senator Russell."

Back to Bettina live: "The SBI took the lead in the investigation, as Jayne Hallerton went to the Westphalia Hospital and called local Police from there. But with the case occurring in the City, the jurisdiction is there. SBI Inspector Donald Troy oversaw the processing of the evidence, and executed the warrant once it was issued. The evidence is being processed in not one but two of the six State Crime Labs, and is being treated with special care due to the status of the accused."

"And in other news," said Bettina, "Fox Two News has learned from several sources that SBI Director Tom Conlan may resign from the SBI as early as today. Mr. Conlan has been rumored to have been considering this move for some time, and may have moved up his timetable due to health considerations."

"And last," said Bettina, "Governor Jared has announced that he will award the Governor's Gold Medal to quadriplegic Charlie Griswold. Young Mr. Griswold is credited with solving encrypted files that led to the arrest of wanted fugitive Jack King..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The Press is absolutely stunned that the Iron Crowbar went and made that arrest of a sitting U.S. Senator." said Chief Moynahan. "So are the poli-tisssshhhhhh-uns, for that matter."

"The City Police were pretty reticent to do a damn thing, as well." said Cindy Ross. "But the Iron Crowbar has no fear of the Elites."

"Must've been that practice perp-walking Mittens Willis that desensitized me." I said.

"Speaking of that," said Theo Washington, "why is Senator Woodburn giving you props, Commander?"

"Who knows?" I said simply. I had not figured out what that was about, yet.

"That's great for Charlie," said Joanne, "that he's going to be awarded for his good work. I just wish there was more we could give him to do."

"I think some good things are being worked on." I said. "Time will tell on that."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As my Angels came in to my office just before 8:00am, it was Tanya that said "You know, Bettina didn't go over to Tim Sioban of KSB for the report on Senator Russell, and I found out why. Jack texted me and said that KSB is not covering the arrest at all."

"Wow." I said flatly. "Well, lets see if the SNN cabal is covering it."

"This is Cynthia Freeman, KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning!" said Cynthia Freeman at 8:00am. "We are going to our SNN affiliate in the City. Diane!"

"Thank you, everyone." said Diane Williams of KCTY, speaking slowly and condescendingly as if instructing small, brain-addled children. "We are covering the arrest of U.S. Senator Samuel Russell and the very disputed allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman yesterday. The Senator's wife corroborates his story, while the accusation is backed up by the Senator's son."

The rest of the report was scant, and soon KSTD had Cynthia Freeman back on the air. "In local news, the Governor of the State will be visiting University Hospital today, where he will confer the Governor's Gold Medal upon Charlie Griswold for Mr. Griswold's actions decoding files which led to the arrest of an escaped prisoner and international criminal. Mr. Griswold is a quadriplegic, and can only communicate by blinking Morse Code with his eyes..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They're starting to bury it." Cindy declared. "They're starting to bury the Russell rape story, aren't they?" She was peering at me. So were my other two Angels.

"Looks like it." I said quietly. "Okay, down to business. Commander Ross, are you staying?"

"If you don't mind, I think I will." said Cindy. "I need to know what you guys are planning, so I can make sure it's budgeted."

"Sure." I said. "So, ladies, this is your chance to get all of the Christmas goodies that you want." Everyone laughed.

"All I want for Christmas," said Teresa, "is a new 1st Precinct Captain." Tanya and Cindy were shocked. It is possible that I was not.

"What's wrong with Goodwin?" asked Tanya. "He stirring up Union trouble?"

"Some." Teresa replied. "But I'm getting word that he's put out feelers for job opportunities. Other Police Departments, security at big businesses in the area..." She was looking at me as she said it.

"Oh my goodness." said Tanya. "Why? That business with Julia?"

"That's some of it." I said. "He consulted with the Union about a grievance, and was told he had no case. He's still got a bit of righteous dander up about us taking Rodriguez from under his nose. But I think Captain Croyle is seeing what I'm seeing: the SBI is about to be in need of a good dose of integrity."

"And Goodwin would be a good fit for SBI Director." said Teresa.

"O.M.G." said Tanya. "So that Press crap isn't just a rumor? Conlan is leaving the SBI?"

I nodded. "Yes, and for health reasons." I said, not giving the real reasons, which Tanya would learn over time. "And his leaving creates a real hole in the SBI leadership. Britt Maxwell does not want the job; she wants to stay where she is, and I don't blame her. There's not a lot of people left to consider. Lt. Leon Mills is the Press's frontrunner, but he's so dirty that not even a box of Tide can clean him up."

"Roll Tide Roll." muttered Cindy Ross with a sideways look at Teresa. She received a look that would've been a crowbar being waved in her general direction... if Teresa carried a crowbar.

"Soooo," I said, "Precinct Captain Goodwin will just happen to be available to talk to the Governor today at the Gold Medal ceremony. So, Teresa, what are your plans for a replacement?"

"I know you won't promote Irwin nor Rudistan yet." said Teresa. "So I've about decided that we could laterally transfer PCpt. Carswell from 2d Precinct to 1st Precinct, and then see about filling in that 2d Precinct role."

"I like the idea of moving Carswell." I said. "He's good, but laid back, and probably would be more comfortable with Irwin than the 'Energizer Bunny' that Rudistan can be."

"What about Sergeant Abram?" Cindy said. "He should've been a Lieutenant already, if you ask me. I think his Judaism has held him back from promotions in the past, but this here Police Commander won't brook that crap today. He's got a stellar record, and has pretty much run the Police Force during the Christmas season."

"The only problem I have with that, Commander Ross," I said, "is that I did not think of it myself first." Everyone broke out laughing at that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Good morning, Priya." said Katherine Woodburn as Priya came into the State Senator's office at her home. "You look very beautiful today."

"It's because of that night we had together last night." Priya said with a lovely smile.

"Yes, that was wonderful." said Katherine. "Even better is when Clark joins us for threesomes."

"Mmmm, and what about if Don Troy ever joins us for a hot threesome?" Priya asked. "You would have orgasms all night long."

"As would you." replied Katherine, both women knowing she had a crush on the Iron Crowbar's 'other' crowbar, though knowing he was the deeply hated Enemy. "So. what are the agenda items today."

"You've been invited to attend the ceremony for the Governor awarding the Governor's Gold Medal to Charlie Griswold." said Priya. "Nothing is scheduled yet about the shakeup in the SBI leadership, but we're expecting phone calls as well as the Press calling for a reaction from you."

"Yes..." said Katherine, going introspective. "I'm still pretty amazed that Charlie Griswold decoded those files, and so quickly. Of course the Iron Crowbar was working with him, may have done most of the work then given Charlie most of the credit..." She continued to think.

"I'm hearing that Charlie did most of it," replied Priya, "and that he caught the FBI's attention."

"Interesting." said Katherine. "Well, I wish I could go see him, but I cannot be seen in public with Jared. So... send a note to the Griswold's, Charlie's parents, saying I can't be at the ceremony, but congratulations to Charlie. Now, who do we want to replace Tom Conlan as SBI Director?"

"Leon Mills is the Media choice." said Priya. "We don't want Britt Maxwell, but she's staying where she is as State Inspector General. No one thinks the Iron Crowbar will take it. Some Democrats are suggesting Robert Mullen, but there's no way the Governor would appoint him."

"All true." said Katherine. "The biggest problem right now, for me anyway, is that we were going to get Jack Lewis back into the SBI Director slot, and start pounding Moynahan here, Soltis in Midtown, Evans in Hillside, and the Iron Crowbar here. But it's too soon. And Conlan's usefulness to us... is ended."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The entourage of State Patrol vehicles and armored SUVs was for show. The University Hospital life flight helicopter had been landed on the football field at Memorial Stadium, still close by but off the roof. On the roof of the Hospital landed a Bell 206, and from it departed the Governor, an aide, and a State Patrolman assigned to the Governor's security.

The ensemble collected itself in the waiting room near the hospice wing of the Hospital. Governor Jared made a couple of pictures with the Hospital Administrator and Dr. Napp, who received a citation for his cutting-edge cancer research.

Then Chief Griswold led the way down the hall to his son's room. Senior Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Davis (USN - Ret.) was ready to interpret as the video cameras and photography cameras went to work.

The Governor was introduced by Chief Griswold. Charlie blinked that he remembered the Governor from years before. Then the proclamation was read as the Governor pinned the Gold Medal to Charlie's pajama shirt.

"He says 'thank you'." announced Mr. Davis. A couple more pictures were taken. The Griswolds stayed with Charlie as the room emptied. In the hallway, the Governor came up to me and one of my Officers.

"Governor," I said, "this is Precinct Captain James Goodwin. He ran our Internal Affairs for several years. This room to your left is empty; why don't you talk to Captain Goodwin about the open SBI Director slot?"

"You anticipate my every want, Commander." said the Governor. He and Goodwin went into the empty room for a conversation.

After they went into the room, the FBI contingent came in. Jack Muscone and Martin Nash led Special Agent in Charge Ashton Cardigan into Charlie's room. I was asked to come in with them.

"Hello, Charlie." said Cardigan. "My name is Ashton Cardigan. I'm in charge of cybersecurity and cyber-related crimes for this region of the country. We were very impressed with your work on the Queenie Files."

"T h a n k y o u." blinked Charlie.

"Your friend Commander Troy is an FBI Consultant with us." said Cardigan. "We would like to offer you a paid FBI Consulting job as well, helping us crack codes and stuff. You'd be part of Law Enforcement, like Commander Troy... and like your father. Would that interest you?"

There were tears in Charlie's eyes as he blinked "Y E S! T h a n k y o u." There may have been some tears in Chief Griswold's eyes, as well as Cardigan clipped an FBI Consultant badge on Charlie's shirt, next to the Governor's Gold Medal.

As Cardigan had said... the son was following the father into law enforcement. Charlie's childhood dream. His father's dream for him, as well...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I think he'll do well." said the Governor. "I've asked SBI-Director-to-be Goodwin to fly down to Midtown with me. We'll have the press conference this afternoon."

"Congratulations." I said to Goodwin as we shook hands. "This'll be great for you."

"Thank you, Commander." said Goodwin. "I'll email my TCPD resignation... a very reluctant resignation... later today."

It would work out. The Governor had told Goodwin that SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell did not answer to him but to the Governor directly (nothing new there), and also clarified what I was: technically a Reservist and answerable to him while on SBI duty, but I was really pretty much my own 'special unit' inside the SBI which answered to the Governor.

Bottom line, Goodwin having worked for me in the past and now being over me was a mitigated issue, and Goodwin would be able to clean up the SBI and 'fundamentally transform' it, as the Governor wanted, into a unit helpful to local LEOs and Statewide crimefighting...

Part 21 - Three Phone Calls

It was the afternoon of Thursday, August 9th. SBI Lieutenant Leon Mills sat in his office in Midtown. It had been a busy day for his telephone. The Press and the half of the SBI that talked to him had been calling about the news that was traveling throughout the State like lightning on a wire.

Leon Mills had been assistant to SBI Deputy Director Robert Gaston back when Jack Lewis was Director of the SBI. Mills was one of the dirty players, like-minded with the likes of Justin Pelletier and Richard 'Dick' Ferrell. He was now ostensibly attached to the Narcotics Task Force, but in reality he was a 'free agent' and a loose cannon.

He knew well that SBI Inspector General Britt Maxwell was constantly and ceaselessly investigating him, and that the Iron Crowbar was well aware of his (Mills's) dirty hands. And that made his work a little bit harder: he was the crossroads of a group of politicians, crony capitalists, and State LEOs that were working to restore the SBI to a position of crushing authority over local jurisdictions, with Jack Lewis returned to his rightful place as SBI Director.

For reasons he could not understand, everything the group was doing was failing. The SBI-NTF was paralyzed with incompetence and lack of resources, while the SBI Inspector was all over the place... except she would never investigate that bastard Governor Jared for anything.

And now, absolute disaster. Tom Conlan, who was being effectively blackmailed into immobility, had resigned. The Queenie Files had been cracked, and his (Mills's) name was one of those listed in the files, which meant the FBI was now paying attention to him. The plans to restore Lewis were breaking down fast, especially if the Governor found someone honest to run the SBI as Director. That would be a disaster.

The first phone call came. "Hello, Lieutenant Governor." Mills said.

"Hello, Leon." said Graham Collins. "What's the word on Conlan's resignation?"

"Word I'm getting is health reasons." said Mills. "But we can put two and two together: Some encrypted files were decoded, and Conlan is resigning."

"Cause and effect, eh?" said Collins. "So what does this do for getting Jared out?"

"Back burner at least." said Mills. "We're hoping Mullen comes up with something, but word I'm getting is that Jared's aides aren't giving Mullen enough."

Collins swore. He then said "Look, Leon, time is getting short. Samuel Russell couldn't keep his pants zipped up, and now he's being accused of rape. We have got to get Jared so that Russell can resign and be replaced by one of our guys."

"I'm doing what I can, Mr. Collins." said Mills. "I'm putting out a lot of fires right now, though."

"Mills, you're our SBI guy." said Collins. "Come up with something. Something effective. I'll get you the Governor's schedule for the next few weeks; maybe that will help you plan something. Gotta go." With that, the cellphone connection ended.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Leon." said Jack Lewis.

"Hello, sir." said Mills. Their connection was by cellphone. "What can I do for you?"