Father's Day Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laura said "The question for us is what action to take on this. I don't think I'm the right person to talk to Paulina about it. You were more right about that doctor-patient confidentiality than you may have realized, and Paulina may well take it as an warranted intrusion upon her parenting. But maybe you can find a way to work around all that to talk to Paulina about it?"

I said "Well, one thing I'm damn sure going to find out about is this adoption crap. If Michael McGill thinks I will allow him nor anyone else to try to adopt -my- daughter, then he's got another 'think' coming..."

"Going to redirect his suppositions?" Laura asked, with a tinge of acerbity in her voice.

"And then some." I replied. "I'll twist his fuckin' cap around."

Laura nodded, then excused herself and went inside, ostensibly to check up on the kids's progress with their chores. But when I went inside, I learned that my wife had gone into my office and shut the door behind her. She was in there almost an hour...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jim's party was scheduled to begin with lunch at 1:00pm. People began arriving about noon, which I'd encouraged when I sent out the invites.

First, who was not here, at least not yet. Sheriff Griswold was at the D-Day Picnic being sponsored by the American Legion and the Town & County Republican Committee, as were Paulina Patterson and Michael McGill, Mayor and Mrs. Daniel Allgood, and Town & County Councilman Edward R. Steele, who was attending that event with his daughter Selena Steele and the woman who was running for the Council seat he'd vacated, Katina Jones.

But Professor Stephanie Steele had come to our party, with Carole's BFF Marie in tow, and they brought Jim's cousins, Dan and Patricia Allgood. Teresa and Todd brought Doug, Mike, and little Jack Burke. Cindy and Callie brought Betsy and Benjamin... and Benjamin's father, FBI Special Agent Tim Jenkins. And that was explained when Tanya Muscone brought Pete Feeley... and Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone. I suspected they'd find their way somewhere for a private conversation, talking 'shop'.

"Where are Tiffany and Jennifer?" I asked Tanya.

"They were invited to a party at Frieda Franklin's house." Tanya replied. "Barky is going to get a lot of love today." She was referring to Frieda's dog, the Redoubtable Barky, a Son of Bowser.

"Soooo..." I said. "Jack still trying to be an honest Federal Agent in Derrick B. Harland's Den of Corruption?"

"Yes, and he won't retire until the US DOJ shows its hand and moves against Daniel Allgood and the TCP---" She stopped suddenly, then peered up at me. I cut my eyes to hers in a manner Carole inherited, confirming what she was realizing.

"Damn." she said. "Nothing really does get past you, does it." It was a statement. And an accusation.

"And God help us all if anything ever does." I replied...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lunch went well. The kids were at tables set up on the back deck, and adults were at temporary tables or fold-up trays all around the greatroom. The dining room table itself was the serving table, upon which an enormous amount of food was sitting.

An hour later, around 2:00pm, we decided to go ahead and have Jim blow out his birthday candles, and cut the cake and serve desserts. We were doing this in the hopes and expectations that Sheriff Griswold and the others would come on over after the D-Day event in time for Jim opening his birthday gifts.

Many of us were full, so I announced people could come up and get dessert when they wished. I did recommend they get ice cream as soon as possible before Betsy Ross got to it.

Jim blew out his eight (EIGHT!) candles as everyone sang 'Happy Birthday' to him. Then we cut the cake. The kids had noooo problem getting cake and ice cream immediately. The adults trickled over, and they were quick to pour themselves coffee.

At 2:30pm, I got a text from the Sheriff that the American Legion event was ending. I announced that to everyone, and we gathered in the greatroom for Jim to begin opening his gifts. Carole gave him the military coffee mug, and allowed Ross and Ian to give him the bedspread. (Author's note: 'Cancel All Our Vows', Ch. 02, for the shopping trip to get those items.)

He also got a camo t-shirt from Tasha. Betsy gave him a teddy bear, adorned with camo and a backpack that contained a parachute. Jack Burke suggested testing the parachute by dropping the bear from the back deck, and Jim's dad (that would be me) suggested Jim not try that, as recovery of the Ursa Paratrooper would be difficult. And speaking of Jack: he, Doug, and Mike got Jim one of those combat video games, and Pete got Jim a Lego set of a military headquarters, complete with a jeep and a General Officer.

All the adults gave Jim either cash or gift cards, which he had noooo problem with... especially the McDonalds gift certs.

While that was going on, the latecomers arrived. Sheriff Griswold came in, followed by Daniel and Melina Allgood, Edward Steele, Selena Steele, Katina Jones, Paulina Patterson... and Michael McGill.

I introduced Katina to everyone, and I was impressed when Carole went up to Katina Jones and said "Hi, I'm Carole. I hope you win."

"Why, thank you!" Katina said. "With an endorsement like that, I can't lose."

Laura told everyone that there was plenty of food and dessert still on the table. And there was... except for ice cream. Betsy had taken care of that. The latecomers had eaten at the TCRC event, but Carole and Marie all but forced them to get some cake.

Only Paulina and Michael declined to have anything... and it was then that I observed, or maybe got a vibe, that Paulina was very unhappy about something. Carole seemed to get the vibe, too, as she was peering at Paulina and then went over and sat down next to Tasha. And a few moments later, as the Sheriff was about to give Jim his gift, Paulina suddenly announced "Tasha, let's go. We have to get back home."

A sudden quietness took over the room. Tasha said "But Mom, the party's not over yet."

"Yeah, I'm still opening presents." Jim said.

Without any abrupt movement, Laura had 'quietly' sidled up to Paulina. She whispered "Don't leave yet. And we should talk before you go."

Judging by the look on her face, that also irritated Paulina. But all she said was "Okay, we'll stay until Jim is finished opening presents." The mood of the electorate turned festive again.

Jim opened the gift from Sheriff Griswold. It was a shoebox, and inside it was a baseball glove. "I gave that to my son Charlie when he was nine years old. It was his first baseball glove. He went on to play on the Town High School varsity baseball team. You can oil it back up and play with it, just like he did."

Jim's response made me proud. With genuine excitement in his voice, he said "That's awesome! Thanks, Grandpa Grizz! I'll take good care of it." He got up and went over and hugged Sheriff Griswold. And no one needed the Power of the Vibe to sense the undercurrent of emotion that swept through the room.

Carole added: "And Jim is going to be on the high school baseball team like Charlie was, too." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Laura scowl at that prediction, but it was destined to come true. But that is a story for the future...

As soon as Jim was finished opening gifts, Paulina said with authority "Okay, Tasha. Let's go."

"But Mo-ommm, I always stay here on Sunday nights." Tasha protested.

"Stop backtalking me, young lady." Paulina ordered. "And you don't have school tomorrow like you do most of the year. So come on, let's go."

"Tasha is right." I said. "She stays here on Sunday nights, and we can get her to her daycare in the morning." All the kids participated in the BOW Enterprises 'summer school' program during the periods when schools were not in session.

Paulina glared at me, and I looked firmly back at her. She realized, as I did, that I was about to assert my rights within our custody agreement, which was full joint custody, and Tasha did always stay with us three nights per week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

"Are you okay, Paulina?" Laura asked. "What has you so upset?"

"I'm not upset." Paulina said. "But Tasha needs to come home with me. Now."

And then Carole spoke up: "Mommy, something happened at the pul-it-i-cul event that got her upset." That made both Paulina and Michael physically recoil, as if taking an electric jolt to their systems. And, for a welcome change, Laura did not chastise her daughter, but went with it and peered at Paulina.

"Fine." Paulina said, with considerable exasperation in her voice. "Stay here. Don, we'll talk about this tomorrow." She turned to Michael and said "Come on, let's go." Michael just waved at all of us, then followed Paulina out the front door.

Tasha came over to me. I picked her up and she gave me a strong hug, which I returned. Then she sat in my lap while Jim accepted Jack Burke's challenge of a battle on the combat video game. All I'll say is that the future United States Army General Officer destroyed the future Vice President of the United States...

Part 5 - Repercussions

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, June 6th, from the Anchor Desk of the KXTC studios. "The legal battle between our venerable University and the upstart State Medical College goes to Court today!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "The first hearings of the legal case will be held in the Courtroom of ultra-right-wing Judge Rodney K. Watts at 9:00am this morning. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the height-challenged blonde reporterette as the feed switched to her standing on the rooftop of the building at the corner of Riverside and College, with City Hall in her background. "At issue are the land rights and compensation for any land taken under eminent domain, pursuant to the law that split off the State Medical College from the University..."

After Amber went through the same details that were in the previous Friday's Bettina broadcast, the feed switched to a split-screen, with Bettina saying "Amber, what are the ramifications of Dr, Fredricson winning a summary judgement, versus Dr. Moore prevailing after the hearing, or after subsequent appeals if he loses?"

Amber replied "Bettina, the biggest factor will be where the new buildings for the State Medical College can be built, and how long it will take them to be built. Contingencies for renting space will be very expensive, though Dr. Fredricson seems to show no inclination for caring about the taxpayer dollars she is spending."

Amber: "But the second issue is over Dr. Moore's assertion that Dr. Fredricson must sell her home that is part of an on-campus subdivision since she is no longer on the University Faculty. And that case is just an example of the bitter personal acrimony between these two School Presidents. If there was any hope of burying the proverbial hatchet and cooperating after all the legal smoke clears, that hope is what is up in smoke. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "The hatred and divisiveness that Dr. Fredricson has caused is so unnecessary, and is hurting both Schools as well as the State's taxpayers. Thank you, Amber! That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important information that you have the right to know. And now, in an exclusive you'll see only on KXTC Channel Two News, please welcome Society Editor Elsie Gringer. Welcome, Elsie!"

"Thank you, Bettina." Elsie said as the feed panned out to show Elsie sitting behind the anchor desk with Bettina. "It's so good to be here with you today."

Bettina said "You have some exciting new information from the Republican campaign trail, yes?"

"I sure do, Bettina." Elsie said. Turning to face the camera, she said "The Republican candidate for Town & County Solicitor, Michael T. McGill, is a handsome young single man, and Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson is a lovely young single woman, and it's well known that they have been in a dating relationship for some time. I caught up with them at the Town & County Republican Committee's D-Day Rally at the American Legion yesterday. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Elsie approaching Michael and Paulina in the American Legion building. Elsie was saying "You're such a lovely couple, and you've been dating for several months now. So can I expect a wedding invitation in the near future?"

Paulina tried to keep smiling, but the beginnings of a frown appeared on her face. "It's wayyyy too early to be talking like that."

Michael all but interrupted as he said "Elsie, we have five months to go in our important campaign to stop the destruction Alvin Whitner would cause if he were elected. That's my focus for now."

"That's not a denial, Mr. McGill." Elsie said, using a typical Media trick to get more. And it partially worked.

"Elsie, there is no there there." Paulina said angrily. "Don't be starting rumors and innuendo for which you have no legitimate basis---" The tape 'skipped', obviously edited, then picked up as Paulina took a couple of steps away.

Elsie looked miffed, even angry, signaling to astute Detectives that whatever Paulina said that had been edited out had angered the gossip columnist. She did the equivalent of baring her teeth, saying smoothly... just a little bit too smoothly,,, "Mr. McGill, is it true that you not only intend to marry Ms. Patterson, but that you intend to formally adopt her daughter Tasha?"

Paulina looked shocked and very angry, but before she could step back up and blast Elsie, Michael again said "Again, Elsie, any conversations of marriage are way premature, and I'm focused on the campaign."

"Again, that's not a denial." Elsie said. At that point the tape ended, and the feed returned to Bettina live.

"Thank you, Elsie." Bettina said to her aunt. "That was fascinating information, and we'll see what happens there." The camera zoomed in on her as she said "And now let's go to KXTC meteorologist Diane Lawrence for the weather report. Diane!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was utterly silent in the Chief's Conference Room. Paulina Patterson wasn't in the room, but Sheriff Griswold, Myself, Chief Moynahan, and my three Angels were. And we were all stunned at what we had just heard.

"Well..." I finally said, "... that explains why Paulina was in such a bad mood yesterday at Jim's birthday party."

"You never were a Captain in the TCPD, Don." Tanya Muscone said. "So I'll play Captain Obvious and ask the obvious question: is it true? Does Michael McGill intend to formally adopt Tasha, and take her completely away from you?"

"He -can't-... can he?" asked Teresa Croyle, both scorn and worry in her voice.

"I dunno." I said. "But I'll fight him like hell on it if he tries."

Cindy said "I think the most important question here is how much Paulina knew? She looked furious, but I couldn't tell if it was because Elsie was making a dirty insinuation, or if Elsie was exposing the truth." All eyes went to me.

"I don't know." I replied. "What is curious to me is... how... how..."

"How what?" the Green Crowbar asked. But it was in vain. The Red Crowbar was in a full-blown reverie...

"Five full minutes." was the next thing I heard. As I came out of it, I saw Teresa timing me; it was she that had said that. Sheriff Griswold had possession of my red crowbar; I had not felt him take it out of my hand.

"Spill it, Crowbar One." said Crowbar Two, her ice blue eyes boring into me.

"I was just realizing..." I said, my voice seemingly still far away, at least in my own head. "the question is... how did Elsie Gringer know to ask that question in the first place?"

I got up. "If y'all will excuse me, I have to go back to my office." I did so, leaving my crowbar in the Sheriff's hands, and I was not followed out of the room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:45am, Monday, June 6th. Paulina Patterson came to my office and was waved on in by my assistant Helena, per my previous instructions. She refused my offer of coffee or water, and I had her sit down in the near-side 'hot chair'.

"So that's why you were so irritated yesterday." I said. "Elsie got under your skin."

She replied "I don't know if you'll believe me or not, but I had no idea about any of that adoption crap until that gossipy bitch asked it. Michael and I never, ever, discussed him adopting Tasha, even when we did discuss moving in together and possibly marrying next year."

"I believe you." I said. "I've called Mike Todd, and asked him to convene all the legal eagles of the Madison & Ives Law Firm at their office, and I want you to go over there with me now."

Paulina assented. We went to my Police SUV, stopping by Teresa's office to collect her... and my crowbar, in whose hands the Sheriff had left it. We drove the short distance to the Offices of the Madison & Ives Law Firm, which were in the building right behind the J.P. Goldman Bank at the southeast corner of Courthouse Square.

Bernadette Rosalyn Gillem, Senior Partner of the firm and daughter of retired Fire Chief Gillem, met us as we entered and led us to a conference room. The table had seats for six, and four of them would be occupied by the firm's Partners: Ms. Gillem, Mike G. Todd, Michael T. McGill, and Virginia Madison, formerly of the Law Firm of Dewey, Burnham, and Winn, P.C. Virginia had a gorgeous pair of legs that I would love to feel wrapped around me while she received every inch of my throbbing hard cock... but I digress.

Teresa and I shook hands with everyone, even Michael, and we sat down. I was in the chair at left on the side nearest the door, with my back to it. Paulina sat to my right. To her right, at the end of the table, was McGill. To his right was Virginia Madison, and to her right was Mike Todd. Bernadette was at the left end of the table between me and Mike. Teresa sat in a chair against the wall, ready to protect me against anyone at the table or intruding via the door.

"Have y'all seen the KXTC broadcast this morning?" I asked. Bernadette and Virginia had not, so I passed a jump drive to Mike Todd, and he used his computer to play the video on the wall monitor, showing the 'confrontation' between Elsie Gringer and Michael and Paulina. Virginia looked surprised. Bernadette gave a 'side eye' look towards Michael McGill.

I said "So let me explain the reason I asked to meet with all of you. As you know, KXTC and I have been at all-out war for some time now, and not just over this libel lawsuit I am pursuing against them. It truly is war, and as enemies spy on each other to gain any advantage they can, KXTC has been using every dirty trick in the book to try to gain intel on me, including paying Police Officers to betray the Force and me by providing information, but also by bugging our offices and attempting cyber-attacks on our communications and computer systems."

Me: "Mike Todd has been my main personal lawyer for some time now, and as such, he is a real target for the totally corrupt, dishonest KXTC to attack. They would love to know everything he has worked upon on my behalf. We all know this, and in the pursuit of the ongoing libel lawsuit, both my wife and I have been working closely with Mike on security, especially regarding his electronics and computer systems. For those of you who may not know, my wife was once one of the very highest Officers in the Central Intelligence Agency... the entire CIA... and she has been helpful in our war against KXTC."

Me: "Which brings us to this incident yesterday. Bettina Wurtzburg is the Managing Editor of KXTC. Nothing...nothing... goes on their airwaves without her approval, or at least her knowledge. Additionally, Elsie Gringer is Bettina's aunt, and they've always worked closely together to get Elsie the Society Gossip and ultimately Bettina the (air quotes) 'dirty laundry' news that KXTC just loves to report in order to destroy lives while hand-in-glove helping the Leftists impose their Totalitarian agenda upon us."