Father's Day Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jenny said "I don't want this to sound like a complaint, but we're having to make some decisions based on the school districts. We found this house when we first moved, and Todd pretty much enrolled our kids at Eastside Elementary, where his kids and your kids already are. And once they were enrolled, they were able to stay there for the remainder of the school year that just ended."

Jenny: "This house is okay, but it's a little small with four girls. So we've been looking around for a larger house. Agnes and your daughter Tasha have formed a really good friendship, and Eastside is a good school, and the Town High system looks to be very good. But most of the larger homes are in the County High system. And the schools there seem to be good, but there's a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about them."

Craig said "They remind me of Apple Grove schools back in the day when we were in school... before the Iron Crowbar came in and cleaned out the rotgut."

Jenny said "Yes. Let's just say I don't think Agnes and Tasha being friends would be tolerated at Northside Elementary or Mitt Romney Elementary, which are the schools for the River Valley subdivision and the Heritage Cloisters subdivision."

Craig said "I don't think we have to worry about the Heritage Cloisters. The homes are nice, pricey but not out of our range, and we could afford it. But not those HOA fees."

Jenny: "Good Lord, those HOA fees! I know they do a lot of lawn maintenance, and they want to get an LPGA golf tournament at their country club. But those fees are ridiculous."

"Testify, sister." said Teresa. "We know allllll about those fees." She did not yet mention her own experiences, which landed some Heritage Cloisters HOA Officers in prison. (Author's Note: 'Schoolhouse Rock'.)

Jenny said "As to the quality of the schools, the ones here have shown us just how far behind the schools we left were. Agnes was struggling at first, and we attributing it to who her parents are, but our other three girls were also behind. They were given aptitude tests, and they all did very well, even Agnes. Turns out that with Eastside being a magnet school, they were ahead of the curve, and all the schools here are ahead of the schools we left. Our girls worked hard to catch up, and they did... especially with Tasha and Carole and Marie really helping Agnes with her reading and basic skills."

"And her basketball skills." Craig said. "Good grief! those girls are going to make one heck of a basketball team in high school!" He had no idea how right he was, but I digress...

Laura said "So do you still want me to observe the girls tonight, in a 'professional' way?"

"Yes, if you would." Jenny said, instinctively quietening her voice. She explained to the rest of us: "I was talking to Laura about a few days ago. Annie is eleven now, and Agnes is seven. My daughter Wendy is ten, and Wilamina, we call her Willa, is eight, but will be nine in just a few weeks."

Jenny: "Annie has bonded well with Wendy and Willa, and they do a lot of things together. They're not trying to leave Agnes out, and Annie tries hard to include Agnes in things. But Agnes still keeps to herself a lot, and I overheard her telling Tasha when we were keeping Tasha for you that she, Agnes, is adopted, and while she's thankful we kept her instead of her being put in DFACS, she feels (air quotes) 'different'."

I said "Marie is adopted, also, and I know she's told Agnes numerous times that her parents tell her they chose her and she's special because of that. Marie tells Agnes y'all feel the same way about her, so it might be good if you verbally reiterate that."

"Oh, we have." Jenny said. "Annie and Agnes both have been such joys in our lives, and I make sure to pay as much attention to Agnes as the other girls. Agnes cooks with me in the kitchen far more than the others do. But I asked Laura to watch the girls, and especially Agnes, and make sure she's coping well. And if there's anything we can do to make things better, I certainly want to."

Craig said "Agnes has been quiet the last few days, so I asked her if something was wrong. She said no, but they'd gone shopping for Father's Day cards for next weekend, and Agnes had gotten me one, but she was wondering if she could send her father Roddy Baker a card, since he's in prison and can't get out."

"She has a good heart about that." Jenny said. "But we're not sure what contact with Roddy is allowed. And with him sentenced to life without parole, we're wondering if we should tell her she has to wait until she's 18 to contact him, and by then she may not want to have contact with him again."

I felt a strange vibe. I looked over at Teresa, who had that inscrutable look on her face that I'd never solved. I said "What do you think, Teresa?"

Teresa said "From what you told me, Don, Roddy Baker was pretty much railroaded into his three strikes. And I think that 'three-strikes' law is too much for some cases." She paused, then said "But most of all I'm thinking of that Bible verse, Matthew 25: 39-40: "When did we see you sick or in prison and go visit you? And He said 'Truly I tell you: whatever you did for one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you did for me.'."

I nodded, then said "If y'all agree to it, I can check with the prison, and I can facilitate Agnes sending a card through me, and have any replies come via Police Headquarters."

After dinner, Agnes came up to me and asked "Mr. Crowbar, would it be okay if I send my dad in prison a Father's Day card?"

"Why do you want to do that?" I asked. "And what about your dad and mom here?"

"They've been very good to me." Agnes said. "I'm very grateful they took me in with my sister when they didn't have to. But my real dad never was bad to me, and he's going to be in jail forever. I just want him to know that my brother, sister, and I are okay, and that I haven't forgotten him."

My heart was warmed by the goodness of Agnes's heart. "Sounds like good reasons." I said. "Okay, go write it and I'll get it sent to him. Just remember that the Prison guards will read it, too, so don't tell too much about where you and your brother and sister are, nor name any other names."

And I would send her card and note to the prison, where Roddy Baker would get it...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Wednesday, June 15th. Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle came into my office, followed by 1st Precinct Lieutenant Jerome Davis. "Whassup?" I said as I gestured for them to sit down. But neither did.

"Sir," said Jerome, "I'm going to give things with my father one final shot. I'm going to send him a Father's Day card, and I want to include a copy of this photo." He handed me a black-and-white photo, which showed Jerome at about eight or nine years old, wearing a sailor suit, and his father Jonathan kneeling beside Jerome, Jonathan wearing his formal navy blue Navy uniform."

"Aw, cute." I said. "So you want to make a copy of that?"

Teresa said "I suggested he get a colorized copy of it, and our Police photographer Connie said we have the equipment to do that. She also said that she can't use the equipment for personal business, and she's standing up to even me on that."

"I see, said the blind man." I said as I stood up. "Okay, let me try." Teresa and Jerome followed me down the hallways to Connie's photography lair. Once there, I said "I need this photograph copied and colorized. And before you say a word about 'regulations', my battalion commander in my Army Reserve unit would always say 'Regulations are merely guidelines for the Commander to follow'. And our regulations are guidelines for the Police Commander to follow."

"I'm sorry, sir." Connie said. "The regulations prohibit it, and I won't do it."

"You look thirsty, Connie." I said. "Commander Croyle, why don't you and Connie here go get some coffee." To Connie I said "And its always good for the Police Commander to be able to do whatever his subordinates do." Teresa led Connie out of the room, and I got to work colorizing the photo on what looked like a copier with a computer attached. I hit 'Go', and a photograph on photo film came out, same size s the original. The colorizing process worked perfectly. I refilled the tray with the film sheets, as well.

Jerome headed to the Post Office on the way back to 1st Precinct, while Teresa and I went back to my office. Teresa said "Connie is going to write a memorandum-for-the-record about you kicking her out of her office. I told her that was fine, but that you could do things like that even if she couldn't. And by the way, I think Mary Milton has duplication equipment in her office, and she'll do whatever she damn well pleases with it."

"I know." I said. "But her equipment colorizes much more poorly, or not at all. Anyhoo, I won't lose sleep over it, and it was for a good cause. I hope Jerome and his dad can heal their rift, or at least have a relationship going forward."

"Me, too." Teresa said. "I think part of Jerome's urgency on that is because Admiral Cordell visits the old Veterans down there every so often, and he did so on Memorial Day weekend. He said others told him that Jonathan's health has been declining in the last couple of years, and he can see that with his own eyes, being a doctor and all. So he may live for years, or he may not, but Jerome thinks it might be good if he and Jonathan make peace, if not be a full father and son again."

Then Teresa added: "Said by the girl who never tried to see her father again for years, until he was dying. He didn't recognize me when I went there; he thought I was my mother. But I was wondering last April what might've been if I'd gone there earlier, when he might have known who I was. And maybe we would've made peace."

"Or not." I said. "Karma. It was what it was. But I know what you mean. My father died not long after I came here. We weren't estranged, but we didn't talk a lot... and I never tried to, always thinking I had plenty of time. Of course, neither he nor Todd's mother Elizabeth would have considered any kind of reconciliation... Mom and Elizabeth still hate each other to this day. But it was unfortunate for Todd. He didn't get to know his grandfather very well."

Teresa said "But the good news is that, except for Greta, your kids have you, and they know you love them and will protect them. Including Tasha. Especially Tasha..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday, June 17th. Jonathan Davis went to the mailbox and got his mail. Sitting down at his breakfast room table, he sifted through the envelopes. Mostly advertising, he thought to himself. Then he saw the one with his son Jerome's return address in the upper left-hand corner. He thought about casting it aside unopened, but something told him to at least open it.

It was a card wishing him a good Father's Day. Inside, he found the colorized photo of himself in his uniform and his young son in the sailor suit Jerome loved to wear when his father was at home. He remembered this photo being taken on a previous Father's Day, when he was home on leave.

The photo triggered memories of his son's childhood. Jerome had always been a good kid, never doing anything to embarrass his father or his mother... until the day Jerome eschewed the Navy and instead went to the Police Academy.

He read what Jerome wrote on the card: "I know you hate the Police, and I understand why. But people need to see Police like me. I'm the Police the TCPD needs." it said. Well, maybe he's right, Jonathan thought. Maybe my son can be the cop we need. And maybe it's time to put that aside, and be the father Jerome needs again. Maybe its time to bury the hatchet.

He began writing on his notepad: "Dear Son...

Part 7 - The Sands of Time

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, June 17th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall in her background. "Michael McGill is out at his law firm!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that Republican candidate for Solicitor Michael T. McGill will announce today that he is taking a leave of absence from his duties as a partner in the Madison & Ives Law Firm, allegedly to concentrate on his race for Solicitor against the formidable challenge of George-Schwartz-financed Democrat Alvin Whitner."

Bettina: "Sources tell Channel Two News that there are questions involving McGill's romantic relationship with Assistant D.A. Paulina Patterson, and whether or not he intends to formally adopt Paulina's daughter Tasha. As a result of those issues, the Madison & Ives firm thought it best that McGill separate himself from them during his campaign."

Bettina: "And far-right-wing Judge Rodney K. Watts has ruled summarily in favor of Dr. Laura Fredricson and the State Medical College in her lawsuit against University President Jerry Moore. Dr. Moore has promised to appeal..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Paulina was not at the coffee klatch in the Chief's Conference Room, but Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, Your Iron Crowbar, and my three Angels were.

"How much of that is trooooo?" drawled the Chief.

I said "This obviously should not leave this room. Myron seriously upgraded MILF's security, so if KXTC was spying on them via their computers and cellphones, they won't be now. Myron did not find any legal papers Michael McGill might've prepared in order to adopt Tasha, but he did find that Michael was using an online site, available only to law firms and attorneys, to research the legalities of child adoption. And Bernadette Gillem was going to force Michael to take the leave of absence on the day I met with them, so that was going to happen no matter what."

Sheriff Griswold growled "Something I found out is that KXTC has been working hand-in-glove with Alvin Whitner to exploit the story. They were going to have Donna Roselle of 'Point Taken' come in and have Town Halls with Whitner, where Paulina would be called a 'hanky headed negro' and a 'sellout to the White man', then attack Miriam Walters as well as Michael McGill through Tasha. But they called it off, and I don't know why."

"I do, sir." said Command Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross. "Donna Roselle was going around calling Tasha a 'halfbreed' on the show. They bleeped it out, and Roselle was warned she'd be suspended if not fired if she kept it up. They're scared of what you might do, Don."

"No (air quotes) 'might' about it." I replied venomously. "I'll---"

"Say no more, Crowbar!" the Sheriff sharply ordered. "We gotta have plausible deniability, that we never heard a word. Just do what you need to do, and don't speak of it before nor after the fact."

"Yes sir." I said flatly.

Teresa said: "I heard a rumor, too... that Jerry Moore is not going to appeal the State Medical College ruling. Seth Warner told me that Appellate Judge Leahy offered Glenn Alberts a stay so that they could appeal, but the other two Judges on the Appellate Court said they'd immediately overturn it. They also would refuse to hear the appeal. But that doesn't explain why Dr. Moore is going to decline to appeal."

"Yes, Moore would lose." I said. "But I suspect there's more to it. Governor Sharon Marshall is directly threatening Jerry Moore's job if he doesn't stop the shenanigans. I believe the exact words she told him were, and I quote, 'Grow up'." Everyone chuckled.

Cindy then said "And I think there are other reasons, too. They're moving on to their next line of attack, which they will do once Laura commits the resources and the construction gets started..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:30pm, Friday, June 17th. The Sheriff, Chief, Teresa, Cindy, and I were having lunch at the Cop Bar when the Chief's Police iPhone rang. "Chief Moynahan, TCPD." he said as he answered it.

As he listened, his eyes grew wide. I sensed something was wrong, and Cindy's look of shock showed me she'd felt the vibe, as well. We listened as the Chief said "We'll tell him, and we'll get him down there right away."

After disconnecting, the Chief looked up at all of us, seeing our eyes and ears tuned on him. He said "That was the hospital at Valley Villages. Jonathan Davis was found in his home, unconscious. It looks like he had a stroke, a bad one..."

To be continued.