Father's Day Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And then it was my turn. A pattern quickly developed. Marie had drawn me, in my Police uniform and holding my red crowbar at 'port arms', on each card. She had drawn my ears way too big on each card, but otherwise it was definitely me.

Next to my drawing's left arm was a drawing of the child that gave me the card, in clothing that represented his or her adult profession, per Carole's prognostications. Carole's card showed her identically dressed in a Police Officer and holding a red crowbar. Jim's card showed him as an Army Officer with a big star on each shoulder. Ross's card showed him in a the red jacket of a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer. Tasha's card showed her in the judicial robes of a Judge. Ian's showed him in a suit, holding a golf club and an American Flag."

"Ian is going to be in Congress, and play golf with the President." Carole said. I nodded, then I saw Carole all but prodding Betsy up to me. "It's okay. Ask him." Carole said.

Everyone looked confused, except Callie and Laura. Callie had a 'knowing' look, while Laura looked askance in Carole's direction as Betsy came up to me, looking scared, which I realized was the fear of rejection.

Just as my kids call my Angels 'Aunt ---', Betsy called me 'Uncle Don'. She said "Uncle Don, I have two moms, but no dad. Can I give you a Father's Day card?"

The room went utterly silent. I gave myself great credit for not looking at anyone else, just at Betsy. I said "Of course you can, Betsy. I'd be honored." All the fear left Betsy's little face and she broke into a big smile.

I said "Come sit here with me." Betsy climbed into the rocking chair and gave me her card. It had the drawing of me, and Betsy was dressed in a business suit and holding a calculator. Also pictured were four, count them four outstanding dogs: Bowser and Buddy to the outside of me, and George and Charlotte beside Betsy. Betsy had drawn all of it herself, and it was a good effort.

"Awww, this is neat." I said. "Thank you, Betsy."

"You're welcome, Uncle Don." Betsy said. "You're the closest thing to a dad that I have."

"Betsy," Laura asked, "what about Benji's dad Tim? You don't think he's your dad, too?"

"No. He's Benji's daddy." Betsy said simply. I remembered how Betsy had not been petting her dog George because she thought he was Benji's dog, and I had redirected her suppositions. Betsy then said "I know my mommies adopted me, and I'm glad they chose me. But Uncle Don is always here, and he talks to me like he talks to Carole and Tasha."

"Awww." I said. "Well, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll talk to you just like I'll talk to any of the kids in this room."

"Even the big kids in the room. Like me." growled Sheriff Griswold. Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement.

After that, the boys rushed up to the attic room to continue the neverending construction of New Lego City and the mighty Troy Transcontinental Railroad. Carole and Marie began a new drawing and story project, and Tasha took Betsy onto the back deck to try to pet the Feral Felines.

A rather stunned Cindy, Callie, and Laura pulled a chair up next to me. Cindy said "I had no idea Betsy felt that way, like she was missing having a father."

Laura said, more sharply, "I hope Carole has not said anything to Betsy about... well, you know."

I said "I don't think Carole said anything. But Betsy sees me being the father of these other kids, and she wanted to be a part of it."

Laura said "There are some studies coming in about children being brought up in same-sex marriages. Some kids are good with it, and some wish they had a father, or a mother, if that parent is absent. My question is... what if Betsy ever asks you if you are her real father?"

"Luke..." I said in a deep voice, and they all got the Star Wars reference. I continued: "Seriously, if Betsy ever asks straight out, I won't lie to her. But telling her is your call, Cindy, and I'll go along with whatever you decide, whenever you decide it..."

Part 10 - Court In Session

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, June 20th, from the rooftop of the building at the corner of Riverside and College. "EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell is due in Court!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Dr. Cordell was stripped of his license to practice medicine by the State Medical Board, the SMB, after he performed an operation on a child after he was ordered not to by BigBenefitInsurance, and after he made statements in open defiance of the insurance giant, threatening our very health care system." (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus', 'Climate Injustice'.)

Bettina: "Dr. Cordell's lawsuit will be heard today before Superior Court Judge Clarence Scales in Midtown. Legal and political experts tell Channel Two News that it is very unlikely that Dr. Cordell will be able to show cause why his medical license should be restored after the careful investigation and reasoned evaluation of the incident and complaint against him."

Bettina: "And in other news, Republican candidates for Solicitor and District Attorney, Michael T. McGill and Miriam Walters, are working hard to tamp down the growing scandal concerning McGill's romantic relationship with Assistant D.A. Paulina Patterson, and his failure to deny that he intends to formally adopt her daughter Tasha should they marry. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing KXTC 'cub' reporterette Martha Faulkner, in her all-white jacket, blouse, and pants, confronting Michael and Miriam at a political rally the Saturday before. Miriam said "Paulina followed the laws and regulations, and submitted the proper paperwork that she was dating Michael, unlike Savannah Fineman not disclosing dating relationships with Defense attorneys in the same cases she was prosecuting. There's no 'scandal' here, nothing wrong." (Author's note: 'Witness For The Prosecution', Ch. 01, for Savannah's actions.)

When Martha pressed Michael on his intent to formally adopt Tasha, he replied "Elsie Gringer's sick fantasies and dishonest gossiping are beneath responding to."

"That's not a denial." Martha said.

"It's not a confirmation, either---" Michael started, but the tape was clearly edited to cut off the rest of what he said.

More tape rolled, showing Pat 'Fat Boy' Stellum confronting Michael and Paulina later at the same event. "Ms. Patterson, are you dating Mr. McGill? Are you contemplating marriage? And will Mr. McGill formally adopt your daughter Tasha if you do get married?"

Paulina said "I've already confirmed that I have been dating Mr. McGill for several months. But my daughter already has a father, a wonderful man who loves her more than his own life, Donald Troy."

"That's not a denial." said Stellum haughtily, a big smile on his fat lips.

"Yes it is!" Paulina yelled at him as she turned to fully front him. "And I'm getting sick and tired of you Press assholes trying to use my daughter as a weapon to attack her father. Now shove your *bleep* lies up your *bleep* fat *bleep*!"

Back to Bettina live: "Ooooh, touchy touchy! Our vaunted ADA Patterson getting a little salty, there. We reached out to Commander Donald Troy for his comment on his former lover's outburst as well as his opinion on another man possibly attempting to formally adopt his daughter, but, as usual, Commander Troy did not respond to our repeated requests."

Bettina finished up: "One thing is for certain: KXTC Channel Two News will relentlessly pursue this potential scandal, giving you all the details you have the right to know..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, I'll play." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Sheriff Griswold, Your Iron Crowbar, Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone, and Command Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross drank coffee and watched the propaganda-cast in the Chief's Conference Room. "Why did they show Paulina's outburst at Fat Boy there? If anything, that makes her look good defending her daughter, and Stellum look like the uncouth, annoying hack that he is."

"Exactly for those very reasons." Cindy replied. "Bettina just made Stellum look like bad again."

"Though showing Paulina losing control and going off isn't all that good a look for her, either." I said. "And KXTC will be using it against Michael in the campaign, fer damn sure."

"Changing the subject," said Tanya, to change the subject, "Does Dr. Cordell really have a chance to get his license back after the State Medical Board revoked it?"

I said "From what Mike G. Todd told me, the chances are good. This is a legal proceeding, a trial. What the State Medical Board did was not; it was an administrative proceeding, not a legal tribunal."

"Who is the Judge?" the Sheriff asked.

I replied "Judge Clarence Scales. He's generally right-of-center, which could put him right in the wheelhouse of the Establishment Republicans and the Corporate Elites, who include BigBenefitInsurance and Jeff Woolsey in their ranks. But he's a Constitutional Originalist, so he won't brook the argument that the State Medical Board hearing was a legitimate legal proceeding."

"But Dr. Cordell agreed to the State Medical Board hearing, didn't he?" Cindy asked skeptically. "Especially by participating in it?"

"That is one argument BigBenefitInsurance is trying to make." I said. "But no, neither Dr. Cordell, Dr. Searles, nor Laura agreed to the hearing as arbitration. They were forced to participate to defend their medical licenses."

"Doesn't seem right." Teresa said. "The State Medical Board can just go in, make accusations, then strip someone's license at their whim."

"Not to mention impose fines." said Cindy. "The Fire Marshal can just go into a place, find fire code violations, and fine the violator... no day in Court."

"And ditto that for the food inspectors, at every level from local to Federal." said the Sheriff. "But the worst of it is the EPA. They can go in, declare a mud puddle that Bowser drinks out of a (air quotes) 'wetland', and fine the landowner millions of dollars... again with no due process."

I said "And the US Supreme Court is going to hear a case about all this, which is called the Administrative State. Lawsuits asserting that the Government Agencies being able to levy punishments with no authorizations by Congress and/or no due process of law via the judicial branch, a.k.a. the Courts, is unConstitutional. If the SCOTUS rules that way, it will shake the Administrative State to its very core, and it will outrage the Big Boy Establishment Elites no end."

"I'm almost sorry I asked." Tanya said. "But it's unfortunate the Court hearing is today. Admiral Cordell was staying at Valley Villages with Jerome, and keeping up with Jonathan's condition for Jerome."

Chief Moynahan said "Dr. Cordell has a cottage at Valley Villages, as well as an apartment up here. He was letting Jerome and Father Romano stay there to get some sleep. Father Romano will stay with Jerome, and will let us know of any... developments."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oyez, oyez, oyez." called out the Bailiff at 9:00am. "All rise. Court is in session, the Honorable Clarence Scales presiding."

"Be seated." said Judge Scales as he sat down in his seat behind the Bench and tapped his gavel. He was middle-aged with curly brown hair and a raspy voice. "Okay, let's get started."

Because it was a lawsuit, Dr. Cordell was the Prosecution. He was wearing a civilian suit and tie. His lead attorney was University Hospital's main attorney, Jay Alexander Madison, Esq., who was being assisted by Mike G. Todd.

The Defense only had attorneys at the table. They were led by State Attorney Luman S. Jackson, who was youngish and sported a trimmed mustache and beard. The other attorney for the State Medical Board (SMB) was the Swamp Frog's favorite legal beagle, Nathan Masterson. He was strangely quiet, and allowed Luman Jackson to run everything.

Jackson was relatively new, and he was politically very partisan to the Left. State Attorney General Gil Krasney had been bamboozled by State Attorney Glenn Alberts into hiring Jackson, but Jackson was considered perfect for this case because he had the reputation of fighting viciously in Court, which is exactly what BigBenefitInsurance CEO Jeff Woolsey wanted.

Jay Madison laid out his case for why Dr. Cordell was wrongly stripped of his license. Luman Jackson was objecting to each point in turn, trying to say that Madison's points had been refuted at the SMB hearing. His 'Gwen Munson'-ish tactics began irritating the Judge, who finally had had enough and ordered Jackson to wait until it was his turn to make his case.

The Judge pretty much just listened to Madison's words, but he had sharp questions for Jackson. At one point, he said "Can you name one law, any law, that requires a doctor to follow an insurance company's orders?" Jackson tried to bring up regulations, but the Judge wasn't having it. "No, no, cite a law, an actual law that requires the doctor to obey the insurance company's orders. And in a similar way, cite a law that forbids a doctor from rendering medical services solely because an insurance company orders it forbidden?"

"Your Honor," Luman Jackson said, "there may not be a law passed by Congress or the State Legislature, but the State Medical Board, in its hearing concerning this case, declared that Dr. Cordell was indeed subject to the insurance company's directives. And that is sufficient to justify the revocation of Dr. Cordell's medical license for his willful violation of the insurance company's directives."

After both sides laid out their cases, witnesses were called. Laura and Dr. Searles were present, and they testified on behalf of Dr. Cordell. Lieutenants Myron and Mary Milton had recorded sworn depositions regarding the ransomware virus attack, and I had also recorded a deposition, where attorneys for both sides had questioned us, and those were played.

Testifying on behalf of the Board were Doctors Jerry and Chris Hinson, the brothers that had cowered before BigBenefitInsurance, and refused to perform the operation; and the nurse that Dr. Cordell had harangued when she tried to stop him from performing the operation, and who was subsequently fired by Hospital Administrator Seth Warner.

And then Jay Madison uncorked his trump card. "Your Honor, we'd like to bring in a witness to personally give his 'friend of the Court' statement."

"Objection." said Jackson. "We were not told about this beforehand."

"Overruled." said the Judge. "I'll allow it. Bring in the witness."

The back door to the Courtroom opened, and a Deputy brought in a nine-year-old boy in a suit and tie, followed by his parents. He went up to the witness box as his parents sat down next to Laura, a couple of rows behind Dr. Cordell. The boy was sworn in. As he sat down, Jay Madison said "State your name, please."

"Tommy Hillman."

Yes, it was Tommy Hillman, the little boy that just fifteen months before had been hours away from death, but was saved by the courage of three doctors that defied BigBenefitInsurance and put a new liver into his little body. Now he was looking much, much better as his health continued to improve.

He was asked to read his statement, which he did: "My name is Tommy Hillman. Last year Dr. Cordell, Dr. Searles, and Dr. Fredricson operated on me. They gave me a new liver, and I survived both the operation and the disease that destroyed my old liver. Because of these great doctors, I am alive, and with God's blessing I am going to live a full life."

Tommy: "The insurance company did not care if I lived or died. In fact, and much worse, the insurance company tried to guarantee my death by their cruel actions. I was lucky; I survived. But other children did not survive when their insurance was cut off. A little girl named Sarah lies buried in the Town & County Cemetery because BigBenefitInsurance cut off her mom's insurance."

Tommy finished up: "I will never forget the courage and compassion of these doctors... and I will never forget the cruelty and heartlessness of David Becerra Palmer and Jeff Woolsey---"

He paused as Jeff Woolsey got up and strode out of the Courtroom, a look of disgust on his face. If only Woolsey knew... Tommy Hillman would one day become State Insurance Commissioner, and he would complete his life's purpose, the utter destruction of BigBenefitInsurance, in the Courtroom of Federal Judge Tasha Troy-Patterson. But that is for another story...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:30am. Alison McFarland had appeared; during a recess, she had videoed Tommy with the three doctors that had saved him, from which photographs would be made. It would be noted that Admiral Cordell was beaming as he stood behind Tommy, with Laura to his left and Dr. Searles to his right. Alison had also secured the Court video of Tommy's statement.

"Wow, you're good looking!" Tommy said to Laura, making the others chuckle. "Do you have a daughter?"

"As a matter of fact, I do." said Laura. "Right about your age, too..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The hearing ended at 2:30pm. As everyone exited the Courtroom, Admiral Cordell turned his cellphone back on. Five minutes later, it went off...

*CHIME!*
*CHIME!*

One of the phones was Dr. Cordell's, and the text was from Father Romano. The other was Laura's, and the text was from me. They checked and saw the messages on their phones. Dr. Cordell groaned.

"What is it?" Jay Madison asked.

"It's Jonathan Davis." said the Admiral. "His EEG flatlined. He's brain dead..."

Part 11 - The Impossible Decision

7:30pm, Monday, January 20th. The TCPD and TCSD leadership had all but relocated to Valley Villages. Only Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone remained behind to mind the store.

The doctors had told Jerome earlier that afternoon that all of his father's brain activity had ceased, and that Jonathan was only alive by being on life support. He asked if there was any chance at all for his father to overcome it, and they told him that there was not; Jonathan's brain had shut down totally. Then they told him that he would have to get a Court Order to have them shut off his father's life support systems.

Admiral Cordell was not exactly happy with the lack of compassion the doctors had exhibited. And neither was I. So I asked Mike G. Todd, who had come up to Valley Villages with Laura, to help Jerome. Mike went through the next steps with Jerome, and was as compassionate about it as he could be. But it was still traumatic for my young Police Lieutenant.

"I thought my dad had a living will." Jerome said. "No heroic lifesaving procedures, and some such."

"He does." said Mike. "But that technically doesn't apply... well, if your father goes into cardiac arrest now, they will not intervene. But he was alive when he was brought in, the operation was standard for the brain trauma he was enduring, to relieve the pressure, and he was put on the ventilator to help his body have a chance to recover. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. And despite your father's living will, they cannot discontinue the life support without a Court Order."

Mike brought out some papers. "As next of kin, you can sign these papers to have the Court Order issued, and I'll take it to the Magistrate Judge now." He handed Jerome the papers. But Jerome didn't move to sign them. He was realizing the enormity of what he was about to do... sign the documents that would end with the death of his father. As everyone watched in silence, Jerome began weeping.

I had never had to experience something like that. My own father was dead when I was informed of it. Mrs. Griswold had died on the operating table. Teresa's father died in front of her, but he had expired. Still, I knew that I had a duty to perform here, and I did it.