Father's Day Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I went up and sat down on Jerome's other side from Mike, put my arm around his shoulders, and as he cried it out, I said "He's gone, Jerome. His soul has crossed the Stream. All you're doing is turning off a machine. And your father is lucky to have you here to do this for him, so that he dies with the dignity a United States Navy sailor deserves."

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir." Jerome said. He took a breath, then signed the papers as quickly as he could, as if to keep himself from changing his mind...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:30pm, Monday, June 20th. Laura and I were eating a very late supper at the Mountain Nest. The kids and dogs were at The Cabin, and Molly insisted that we let her watch over them while we get some badly needed privacy and rest.

"It was really great, seeing Tommy Hillman come into the Courtroom." Laura said as we ate the house fried rice I'd made in ten minutes, complete with microwave-heated frozen chicken dices. "I had no idea that was coming. He looked good, very healthy, especially considering what he's been through."

Laura: "I'll tell you this about Dr. Cordell, too. You remember on 'Airborne Day', when Alison McFarland had him come up to meet those six Rangers he saved, and their families?" (Author's note: 'Jump!', Ch. 02.)

"Yes." I said. "He was loving seeing all those children."

Laura said "And it was the same when Tommy came into the Courtroom. Dr. Cordell was just loving it, seeing Tommy doing so well. I think there's a soft-hearted man in that old Admiral's body."

"He's the same way about Teresa." I said. "So how do you think the hearing went?"

"Reading the body language of the Judge," Laura said, "I think it went very well for us. And when Jeff Woolsey stormed out of the Courtroom when Tommy was reading his statement, my first thought was that that had sealed the deal. Having said that... Judge Scales is moderately right-of-center, and that means he's pro-Establishment. When Woolsey got up and left, my first thought was that he, Woolsey, thought he had it in the bag, but Tommy's appearance and statement really shook him up."

I said "So Woolsey realized that when Tommy's appearance and statement goes public, Judge Scales has a reason to rule against Woolsey that he did not have before, n'est pas?"

Laura said "And by the way, no one was fooled. We all know it was you that suggested to Jay Madison and Mike Todd to have Tommy come in."

I said "Whatever it takes to get Dr. Cordell his license back -and- poke a sharp stick in the eye of Jeff Woolsey and the Establishment Elites." Then, to deflect away from that, I said "Unfortunately the good news was short-lived."

Laura said "Yes, when the texts came about Jonathan Davis, it went through us like a shock wave, even though we were halfway expecting it. I think Jerome was holding out hope, even at the end. And once again, you were there for him. You did the right thing. I think he needed that help from you..."

The end had come swiftly and peacefully. Mike G. Todd had procured the Court Order just before 9:00pm. Jonathan had been moved out of ICU and into a holding room meant for those final things to be done. Father Romano went through the Last Rites, then Jerome sat by his father's bedside, holding his hand as the ventilator was stopped. Jonathan stopped breathing immediately, and three minutes later the heart of a United States Navy NCO and father ceased beating for all time. For Jonathan Davis, his journey was at its end...

Part 12 - From Death to New Life

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, June 21st, from the rooftop of the building at the corner of Riverside and College, with the State Office Building on the other side of Courthouse Square as her backdrop. "Time is running short for Commander Donald Troy to submit a rewritten State Constitution!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "The clock for Donald Troy to submit a new State Constitution begins July 1st. However, he is required to have open hearings for the Public to comment as well as meetings with the Legislators of the Advisory Board, which was empaneled when Troy was named the sole Commissioner on the Commission..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Busy news day." said ADA Paulina Patterson as she, Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Muscone, Command Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, Sheriff Griswold, and Your Iron Crowbar drank coffee and watched the Bettina propaganda-cast in the Chief's Conference Room. "All she's got is to whine about you re-writing the State Constitution."

I replied "Wait until she hears how much Tasha is helping me with it. She'll go berserk. But seriously, I've been in communication with the Legislators on both sides of the aisle, and we'll begin having the public hearings next month. I dunno what Bettina's agenda was with that little hit piece."

"Laying groundwork for something." growled Sheriff Griswold. "Crowbar, you think the Democrats are up to something?"

"The Democrats are always up to something, and it's always something no good." I replied. I ignored Cindy's glare at me as I continued "But my sense on this one is that Bettina and the Press are leading the way on it."

Tanya asked "When is Jonathan Davis's funeral?"

"Friday." I said. "The Navy is handling the arrangements, and he'll be buried at the National Cemetery there. Jerome is going to wear civilian clothes, and has requested we also wear civilian clothes. Of course... we can wear our Medals of Valor with civilian clothes, and I intend to."

"Moi aussi." Teresa said. Cindy nodded vigorously in agreement.

Chief Moynahan said "I'm sending a text and email to the entire Force. I know a lot of Officers would like to go, but we still have our doo-ties up here. So we're going to put Commander Croyle's plan into effect."

We all looked at Teresa, who said "We're going to set up a table in the gym, with a photo of Senior Chief Davis and a book to sign. Officers can go in at any time to sign and pay their respects that way---"

*CHIME!*
*CHIME!*
*CHIME!*
*CHIME!*

We checked our Police iPhones. I said "Here we go. Lieutenant Rudistan's wife went into labor..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and I went in my Police SUV to University Hospital, and Cindy and the Sheriff were right behind us. We parked in the 'Authorized Vehicles Only' area and went into the E.R. entrance, then up to the Dr. Laura W. Fredricson Maternity Ward and Neo-Natal Center.

Seth and Joanne Warner were already in the waiting room. Seth said "Dr. Kim Chang is doing the delivery, and Dr. Fredricson went in to assist and make sure everything goes well."

Joanne said "Micah is in there with his wife, videotaping it all. I don't know why he bothered; he's like a chicken with his head cut off, all over the place, and that camera is going to be shaking like crazy." We all chuckled, then stopped suddenly as we were joined by another person... Jerome Davis. He was wearing a black suit and black necktie.

"I heard Rudistan's wife is having her baby." Jerome said.

"She went into labor." I said. "We're still waiting for news."

Seth and Joanne then offered their condolences to Jerome, who said "Thanks. I'm going down to Valley Villages in a little bit. But I wanted to check in and congratulate Micah and his wife---"

Just then, Laura appeared in the room. "We have a new future TCPD Officer in the House. Micah is the proud father of a seven pound, six ounce baby boy. The delivery went well, and mother and son are doing fine. The father? He's a bundle of nerves, all over the place."

"Just what we'd expect of Rudistan." Cindy said, a bit cattily, making everyone chuckle... even Jerome...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Twenty minutes later, a very excited Micah Rudistan bounded into the waiting room. "Hey, guys! He's here--- oh, hey Jerome. I'm so sorry about your dad."

Their handshake became a man-hug as Jerome said "Thanks. My dad's gone, but your baby is just starting out. That's why I came by, to get cheered up a little bit."

The rest of us either man-hugged or full-hugged Rudistan. He showed us a couple of photos of his wife holding the baby. Rudistan was white, his wife was black, and the baby was a reddish raisin. I said "Handsome little guy. If your son is anything like you, I'm going to have to keep my daughter Tasha away from him."

After a while, we all made our goodbyes and Rudistan went to see his wife and their baby. As we filed down the hallway, I noticed Teresa talking to Jerome, telling him of the Police arrangements...

Part 13 - The Thin Blue Line

7:45am, Wednesday, June 22nd. I would always remember June 22nd as the day I defeated the Consultant of Crime, Pastor Raymond Kyle Westboro, and consigned him to Hell. (Author's note: 'Along Came A Spider', Ch. 04 Epilogue; 'A Tiny Slip', Ch. 01-02.) It was years ago, but I would always remember it as if it were yesterday.

On this day, a table was set up in the gymnasium, which was closed to all other purposes by the TCPD Operations Commander and the TCPD Deputy Chief. A white linen cloth was on the table. In the center was signing book, and next to it was the last official Navy portrait of Senior Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Davis (Ret.), an American Flag behind him.

Police Officers on third shift, no matter what Precinct or duty station, had been invited to peel off their duties at 7:30am and come to TCPD Headquarters to sign the book, and first shift Officers were invited to come in at shift change and sign the book. They could also stop in at any time during the day.

The line that formed was very long. At the beginning of it, Detective Sergeant Julia Rodriguez, wearing her semi-formal uniform with ribbons, stood next to the table in attendance. She received the honor of doing that because she asked the Police Commander first.

To everyone's surprise, Lieutenant Jonathan Davis was at the other end of the table, also in his semi-formal uniform with ribbons. He shook hands with every Officer that came through, thanking them for taking the time to sign the book. Many of them offered spoke more words to him than just polite condolences, which Jerome seemed to take comfort in.

Also in the line were Sheriff Griswold and me. We could have skipped to the front, and many Officers invited us to, but I'd refused and said I'd stand in line with everyone else, and the Sheriff followed my example.

The Sheriff whispered for me to go in front of him, and to wait for him after I had greeted Jerome. When I got to Jerome, I man-hugged him and looked down at him (I was taller by a good bit) and told him that Jonathan was a good man, and that he, Jerome, was a good man, and to keep on honoring the family name as the good man he was. Jerome said he would do that.

When the Sheriff came up, he turned the man-hug into a full-on hug, then told Jerome "It was through your father that my son Charlie was able to speak to me in the last days of his life. I'll never forget your father's help, and if there's anything you need, just let me know."

"Thank you, Sheriff." Jerome whispered. "You know, it was that time with Charlie that my dad and I had a chance to reconcile, and talk again..." (Author's note: 'Fathers and Sons'.)

After the line went through, Jerome went to check on arrangements, but came back at the afternoon shift change for the line that including mostly second shift Officers. It was good that so many Officers took the time to come by and sign the book; it showed the respect that Jerome Davis had earned with the TCPD...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"That was a good idea you had." I told Teresa as we had nachos and Cherry Coca-Cola Zero at the Cop Bar that evening. "Jerome has requested the entire TCPD not invade Valley Villages, but they get to offer condolences here."

Teresa said "What struck me is that Jerome was there, thanking them for coming and signing the book, like a wake. He showed real leadership, there."

"Yes. Yes he did." I said. "The Sheriff, Chief, and I have been talking, and Jerome is at the front of the line for favorable actions. Precinct Captain, Captain of Detectives, Commander of Operations when you become Police Commander."

"Which will be when you become Chief." Teresa said. Then she asked: "Do you think Jonathan would've been proud of Jerome if he could've seen that? Do you think he was proud of Jerome advancing to where he is? Or was Jonathan's hatred of Police too much for Jerome to overcome?"

I said "I don't know. I guess we never will. In a similar way, my father absolutely did not like it when I went into Army ROTC and was commissioned into the Army Reserve. But Mom told me my dad was secretly proud of me... not for joining the Military, but for standing up for myself in spite of what he wanted."

"Hmmph." Teresa grunted, then said "I don't think it was the same with Jonathan and Jerome. In any case, Jerome, Cindy, you, and I have had... 'complicated' relationships with our fathers. And I suspect that's one reason you're such a good father to your kids."

"Except Greta." I said, turning melancholy. "I get the feeling that I'm failing her, and that feeling gets worse every year---"

*CHIME!*

It was my personal iPhone, and it was a text from Mike G. Todd. "It's a text, from Mike G. Todd." I said. "Judge Clarence Scales handed down his ruling already. He's ordered the State Medical Board to restore Dr. Cordell's medical license forthwith..."

Part 14 - Saying Goodbye To A Sailor

Friday, June 24th. The service for Senior Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Davis was at his graveside at the National Cemetery near Valley Villages. A lot of retired military service personnel were wearing their uniforms, as was their right. Jerome was wearing a black suit with black necktie.

The contingent from Town & County Law Enforcement wore civilian clothes, as well. Sheriff Griswold and I were wearing black suits and black neckties, and Cindy Ross, Teresa Croyle were wearing basic black dresses and black high heel pumps, and the four of us were wearing our Medals of Valor around our necks.

Captain Hugh Hewitt and the MCD Detectives were permitted to attend, and they did. Captain Claire Michaels, Lieutenants Myron and Mary Milton, and Chaplain Romano were also there. Father Romano was not participating in the funeral ceremony, just attending.

Among the speakers was Sheriff Griswold, who explained about his son Charlie being a quadriplegic but able to blink Morse Code. "Jonathan Davis enabled my son to be able to speak to me by translating the Morse Code my son blinked. Jonathan spent hours working with Charlie, helping to bring a criminal to justice, but more importantly allowing Charlie to tell his family he loved us. Jonathan helped my son, and I can assure you that I have Jonathan's son Jerome's back. My promise to you, Jonathan."

Jerome spoke, saying "My father was a good and decent man, and served his country loyally, and very well. He loved the Navy; it was the very core of his being, of his life. He retired from the Navy, but the Navy never retired from his life."

Then, not shying away from the subject, Jerome said "In these politically charged times, he did not like it that I was a Police Officer, but I think he ultimately understood that I was serving our people from within by being a Police Officer. I wrote to him that I was going to be the cop we all need, and that is my vow today, to be the cop we need, that he and our people can be proud of."

The Navy Chaplain that was part of the Funeral Detail team said the prayers, including the words from the 1789 Book of Common Prayer: "We therefore commit his body to the earth, to be turned into corruption, looking for the resurrection of the body, when the sea shall give up her dead, and the life of the world to come, through our Lord Jesus Christ; who at his coming shall change our vile body, that it may be like his glorious body, according to the mighty working whereby he is able to subdue all things unto himself."

Then came the Flag-folding ceremony. Everyone in a uniform saluted, and those of us in civilian clothing put our hands over our hearts, as the pallbearers in their formal sailor uniforms lifted the American Flag from the coffin, folded it into a triangle with crisp movements, and brought it to Admiral Leonard R. Cordell, who had insisted on personally delivering it to Jerome. He did so, with the words "On behalf of a grateful nation, we present this token of our esteem." Jerome returned Admiral Cordell's salute after taking the Flag.

Then, to end the ceremony, Admiral Cordell said loudly: "I'd like for everyone who served in the United States Navy, and anyone else who knows the words, to join me in singing the Navy Song." And many voice sang with heart and soul, that Senior Chief Davis might hear them:

"Stand Navy out to sea, fight our battle cry!
We'll never change our course so vicious foes steer shy-y-y-y!
Roll out the TNT, anchors aweigh!
Sail on to victory, and sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray!

Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay.
Through our last night ashore, Drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home.

Blue of the mighty deep, Gold of God's great sun;
Let these our colors be,
Till All of time be done, done, done, done;
On seven seas we learn, Navy's stern call:
Faith, courage, service true, With honor over, honor over all."

Part 15 - Epilogue

Senior Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Davis looked around, seeing that he was on a path that led uphill to a pastel Bridge over a rushing Stream, with a beautiful meadow beyond, and a bright Light swirling overhead. Jonathan saw that he was wearing a formal Navy white uniform jacket and pants.

There was a bench to the left of the path, and someone was sitting there. As Jonathan came up to him, the man stood up, and Jonathan saw that it was Army Master Sergeant Martin Terhune, dressed in an Army dress white uniform jacket and pants.

"Hello, Navy." Terhune said with a crisp hand salute, even though Enlisted personnel usually did not salute each other.

"Hello, Army." said Jonathan, returning the salute. "Where is this place? Are we going to hoist the colors?"

"No, not here." replied Terhune. "This is a place where no flags are raised, and there is only peace and harmony."

"We never had to take any of it seriously, did we?" Jonathan mused. "Not even my son becoming a cop."

"No, we never did." replied Terhune. "Your son is being the cop they need, but here we don't need Police, nor earthly laws. And we're all equal herel; black, white, Army green or Navy blue. So... Are you ready to cross the Stream?"

"Yes." Jonathan said. He thought he heard a ship's bell ringing in welcome as he and Master Sergeant Terhune crossed the Bridge over the Stream, and the Light descended upon them...

Finis.