All Comments on 'Fertile'

by foxxxie

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 15 years ago
This was really over-done . . .

My first suggestion to the author is to get an editor. If there already is an editor, then please find a different one. The writing was smooth and entertaining but there were lots and lots of grammatical errors and syntax errors, and misspellings, and homonyms, and the list goes on and on. For example, "She spins around wrapping her legs around my waste and begins to kiss my neck." "Waste" is not something I would wish my wife to wrap her legs around -- it is not sexy to me, since I'm not into scat -- my waist, however, now that would be nice. There was some sort of error every second paragraph, on average, and this really detracted from the quality of the writing. The story was an interesting look at the issue of male infertility, but it was inaccurate. There is no "camera" method to test a man's sperm count. If a male patient cannot produce a semen specimen at a clinic, which is common, then most fertility clinics request a sample produced at home and brought in less than an hour old. Virtually 100% of men can produce in that context. If there are no sperm, a testicular biopsy would reveal whether or not sperm were being produced. With assisted reproductive technology, almost any man can be a biologic father. Even men whose testicles produce only a few sperm can have sperm extracted and then used to fertilize the woman's eggs under a microscope. The author tries to satirize the husband's fears (that she'll get herself pregnant with another man -- I'm going out with so-and-so, don't wait up) but even men with fragile egos are not that childish and there would be a discussion, facilitated by the doctor or some type of counselor, regarding treatment options. If a man could not accept a child not biologically his, and adoption is unappealing because the child is not biologically from either partner, then maybe the rift would cause a divorce. But I can't see the wife going out to get fucked and knocked up as suggested in this story; women want security for their family, and starting out a pregnancy as a single rather than a married woman does not fit the definition of security. I know lots of childless couples and while many men would like to be fathers, they don't have the strong biologic need that many women have. I think the author has overly-exaggerated the male point of view in this regard such that the satiric attempt falls flat by the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
CRAP

Do some research before you write idiot

angiquesophieangiquesophieover 15 years ago
comical??

i was touched by the story. i was really pissed about the way

the bitch treated him. she clung to him in desperation, begging him

not to dump her if she proved to be the "broken" one. then she

dropped him like a hot potato the moment it became clear

he was infertile. she didn't even discuss it before running to an old

lover. some women give our gender a bad name. he might call himself a wounded pheasant...but she is just a selfish pig.

okay...i planned to hit the 100 mark. then i read: comical.

the writer calls it a comical story...

sorry...it confused me too much to vote, so i ended up with

a dizzy 50. such a pity. you really must explain the comedy, i don't

get it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Unreal...

What can I say? As far as I am concerned only a man hating woman would fine this comical in any sense.

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 15 years ago
Not very fertile, after all

You really should do better research for your stories. Researchers at Cornell University report this about human males suffering from non-obstructive azoospermia: "<I>Retrieval of sperm from the testis or epididymis was associated with good pregnancy rates using in vitro fertilization.</I>"

<P>

Kinda blows up the whole storyline since the wife could simply be impregnated via artificial methods. The couple could have as many children as they wished without adoption being necessary.

<P>

Better luck next time.

PrincessErinPrincessErinover 15 years ago
Great

Wow people are picky. I agree an editor is needed but it was a realistic story. Maybe thats why the reaction. Sometimes it's better to be unrealistic and have her get pregnant by someone else and the husband be happy. Then it would be in loving wives :)

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969over 15 years ago
It is not a joke.

interesting idea but that is about it. There is no compassion for either person in this story. The wife or ex-wife is selfish beyond belief. I don't think she ever loved or respected her husband. And as Alveron said there are many ways that a woman can get pregnant. The fact she ran away from the problem shows the ex-husband is well shot of the wife. Let's hope he can't have children either. Perhpas the husband gets some balls, the boyfriends? And serves them up with some red wine. The only other I would say is where is the emotion? I didn't detect any at all from either of them. Actually that isn't true, Sadness on the part of the husband and selfishness on the wife's part. Anyway keep trying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
An Effort To Alienate Most Readers Succeeds

This is "comical" to whom besides you girl writer? I can't imagine your accidental use of the word - so you intended to piss off some, many or most men and most other reasonable people.<P>

I wonder why - certainly not for high scores or positive comments. Puzzling intent.<P>

Constructively - the story was basically a major downer but then add the stated comical intent and this alienated and was worse than even you intended.<P> A waste of everyone's time and your credibility.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Really bad

I know this is fiction but it's not anywhere near the standard of credible. Having experienced the entire issue of infertility in a couple, these characters don't ring true. On top of it, the 'science' is garbage.

And what exactly is it that you find funny, comical if you will, about this issue?

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Calm down chaps

Having read the young ladies Bio she is intending to provoke and shock. The only problem is that this fails to entertain. Although having read PrincessErins views on fertility I did find her comment on this quite ironic. I have read both articles and I advise others not to bother. Have a wank instead, no more productive but more enjoyable or you are doing something wrong. --UK CYNIC.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
comical? hardly...

well written... but I'm sorry, as you stated it's "A comical look at a male issue." I fail to see anything about the story in either male or female perspective, comical. Its an extreme tragity, plain and simple.

The female protaganist fears infertility and wishes her husband never to leave her for it; but in return does the exact opposite to her counterpart. It is ironic, perhaps; but certainly not comical. In fact, it is spiteful, childish, and self-centered of "Lynn" to set and expect high standards from her husband that she, herself, fails to live upto in any manner. Then, the husband is left nothing but a broken shell of a man, by the very woman that he promised to love, honor, and cherish for all the days of his life. Pity... only pity...

Simple49erSimple49eralmost 15 years ago
Woman looses her breasts to cancer?

Comical? We gain our sexual indentities in different ways. For a man, part of that indentity is the ability to father children. For a man this is not a joke. And a I suspect for a woman the inability not to mother children is not funny either. I have a friend, a woman, trying to come to terms with the loss of her breasts. She said to me that she feels less than a woman. Should I crack jokes? Of course not. I think the author's attitude reflects the double standard that women live by: men take their dicks to seriously; who needs balls to be successful; sensitive men think with their emotions, not their testosterone driven egos. I could go on, but then the feminazis might come looking for me. Men need to be sensitive about women's feelings about their physical identity, but the female hypocrites out there do not seem to feel the same about being sensitive to how men see themselvess in this world. This story is a perfect example of that. Maybe there are things that women authors ought not to write about.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

This story is very well done. Poor guy. As for her, good riddance.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous