Finding Home Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ellen DeGroat hopped out and hugged her older brother. As she continued to embrace him, Andy could feel her body shaking as she wept.

"Hey, hey. It's OK. I'm OK. I'm right here, Ellen. I've got good people around me and I'm in a good place -- really."

"Damn you, Droobie. You just about gave Jess and I a heart attack. She wants us to FaceTime her later." Andy smiled as she used her nickname for him.

"We will, Smellen, I promise." He knelt down and kissed her cheek. "There's some people I want you to meet."

Andy's grandfather walked over and re-introduced himself to Eden. Seeing that Andy and Ellen needed a few moments and some privacy, Eden excused herself to go inside. Judge Carlson waited at a distance until his grandkids were ready, and they walked over to him arm-in-arm.

"Hello son."

"Hello grandpa."

"You look much better than I thought you would."

"Yeah, we should probably talk about that."

"Oh, we will. I'm just thankful to see you looking well. We love you and have been damn worried about you."

"I know. I love you as well, and I'm sorry to worry you. I had no idea I was repressing anything. I guess we all just deal with things differently. I remember Jess coming home from college one Christmas and not going back until the next fall. That was her dealing with it, wasn't it?"

"Yes, it was. I called your Navy psychiatrist. She was very helpful, and very pleased to hear you've finally broken down. Apparently, she tried very hard to get you to do so while you were recovering in the hospital. She thinks you'll be fine, but you will need to process some things as you move forward," the older man explained.

Andy nodded his head, "Listen, with both of you here, I need to say this: I know guys who didn't have people around them who loved them. Their families were shit shows, and the Corps was the only family they knew. When they lost the Corps, they lost their family. I now know how fortunate I am to have a great family. So, thank you. I love you all more than I realized."

It was his grandfather's turn to hug him and get tearful. Judge Carlson was a tall man, though at 75 he had shrunk a bit. He still stood shoulder to shoulder to Andy, though the younger man outweighed him by a good 40 pounds. Ellen soon joined them in an impromptu family hug. The Judge surprised both of them by kissing Andy on the check, followed by Ellen.

"Hey, I really want to introduce you two to my roommates. They're awesome, and I think you'll love the Commons. And thank you, grandpa for the gear. You made a great space simply unbelievable."

"I saw Eden carrying two dozen roses," said the Judge, raising an eyebrow. "Anything you want to tell us before we meet them?"

Andy grinned at his grandfather, "Yes, they're both amazing, and smart, and beautiful, and they didn't turn their back on me when a guy they had just met was a sobbing, incoherent mess in the middle of campus. I think that deserves roses, don't you?"

Ellen answered, "Absolutely! I can't wait to meet them."

The Judge simply looked at him and smiled.

One hour later, all five were at the Lobster Shack. However, the seating was such that Andy was seated with his grandfather, and Ellen was at a table with Eden and Sara.

"That's quite a beautiful table," Ralph Carlson said looking at the three women.

"Yes, it is." Andy paused, then asked, "So, Ellen looks like mom?"

"Absolutely. It makes me want to cry. Your mother was a beautiful woman."

"OK, and I look like dad -- so who does Jess look like?"

"I think Jess is a blend of both, but your grandmother disagrees. With your dad being an orphan, who knows if Jess may favor a grandparent on that side? Your mom looked exactly like your maternal grandmother. I mean she was the spitting image," the Judge explained. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, when I saw the statues yesterday, it was like looking at Ellen, and then at myself. Grandpa, I have no idea what happened: I know I'd seen pictures of the statues, but I'd never seen them in person. By the time I got to the family statue, I felt completely overwhelmed. It was like a wave of grief just knocked me over."

"That's because it did," he said soberly.

"Then, as I was huddled there, all kinds of stuff came into my mind -- combat stuff mostly. Brothers I'd lost, but also things I'd done. There were some shots I had to take that made me sick: women strapped with enough C4 to take out a city block, kids helping to bury IED's. It was so ridiculous; Romeo and I had to joke about it sometimes. I knew it had to be done, and I had the green light, but nobody signed up to put a .50 caliber bullet in women and children."

Andy had grown pale, and his voice began to crack.

"I know son. I faced the same thing in Vietnam. Driving river boats for the Navy was a damned dirty war. You do what you must, and then you have to live with yourself."

"How do you do it?"

"I thought of the guys who were next to me. The men, well, boys really, who were counting on me doing my job to make it home. That was a damned filthy war. Bad idea all around. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day. I think it's one of the reasons I became a judge. I got tired of doing other people's dirty work, so I wanted to be the one to be equitable and fair. Being just became a priority for me."

"So how did you move forward?" asked Andy.

"Well, for one thing, I found the love of a good woman. Truth, beauty and love are terrific balms to a war-weary soul. You don't have to say a word -- but it seems to me that you're headed down that path. Know this Andrew, I don't blame you one bit. And, from what I can tell, you've got two lovely candidates at that table across the room. I don't want to butt in; you're a grown ass man and you can make your own decisions. I know nothing about Sara, but I've known Eden's family for quite some time. They are top-notch people. Talented as hell to boot. You've already passed the female Dr. Adams' muster, so you're more than half way there. She's a shrewd evaluator of people."

"Grandpa, they were great yesterday. I needed help, and they were johnny on the spot."

"That's what good people do, son. The whole Adams family is good people. Just know that I've also heard from your Uncle Hank that you yourself are pretty handy in a pinch."

Across the restaurant, the conversation was much more animated. Ellen DeGroat took an instant liking to her brother's roommates and erstwhile protectors. Both young women smiled uncontrollably when talking about her big brother. She answered their questions with a mixture of candor and sisterly reservation.

"So -- real talk: has Andy always been this way?" asked Sara.

"What way do you mean?" replied Ellen cagily.

"Easy to like. Personable. The kind of guy you want to take home to meet your family, and take your panties off for," said Sara bluntly.

Ellen laughed. "Well, yes. He was really, not popular, but well-liked at the Groton School. He just got along with everyone -- athletes, smart kids, artsy kids, didn't matter. My friends would come to my house to 'hang out' but they really just wanted to look at Droobie. One night, my best friend was spending the night, and Drew happened to stick his head in my room without his shirt on. I had to listen to Mary Frances jill herself like crazy that night just because she saw my older brother sans shirt. It was the same in the Marines. At his basic graduation, Drew knew all of his platoon members. He knew their parent's names, their wives, girlfriends -- even the names of their dogs. Every one of those guys came and hugged my grandparents and told them what a great Marine he was. Don't get me started on his spotter's family. Romeo Garcia and Drew were really close, and I think he still talks weekly to his widow. I've always been equal parts annoyed and proud."

"That's good to know. I thought maybe Eden and I were just so desperate for some non-PC interaction that we misjudged him. He's damn easy on the eyes, for sure -- but he's also really easy to talk to and get to know. This place is full of stressed-out, high-achieving assholes. You tell some dude he looks nice, and next thing you know he's headed for a safe space because you assumed his gender. Makes it hard for a girl to get what she needs," said Sara passionately.

"That's been Drew his whole life," said Ellen. "John Wayne meets Mr. Rogers. My dad was like that, apparently. My grandmother is that in spades -- but not John Wayne. You'll like her when you meet her."

"Tell us about Praja," Eden asked cautiously.

"Wow. OK. So obviously Droobie told you about her, huh?" Both girls nodded. "Drew and his best friend Mike both had a thing for a super cute Indian girl in their class: Priya Reju. Drew, being Drew, backed off and -- long story short -- Mike and Prya got married 18 months ago. Drew was the best man in their wedding -- this was right before he was wounded. Priya has an older sister, Praja. My older sister Jessica is still friends with her. Anyway, Drew and Praja started hanging out together after Drew graduated from High School. Drew had a girlfriend who broke up with him after their senior prom and then started talking shit about him -- until Jess and Praja literally punched her one night at a party -- and Drew does not know that, so please don't tell him. Anyway, I know from Jess that they had the whole 'friends with benefits' thing going on. I thought Jess would be pissed, but she told me I'd understand when I went off to some high-pressure, high-achiever college. She was right."

Sara and Eden looked at each other, and nodded almost imperceptibly. "Well, he's still damn good for letting off some steam," said Sara matter-of-factly.

"Wait. What? You and Drew?" she shot a shocked look at Sara. "You're a beautiful woman Sara, and he does have a thing for exotic women, but damn! Drew works fast."

"He likes basic white girls as well," said Sara knowingly.

"Shit!" said Ellen, a bit too loudly, and then bending forward conspiratorially, whispered loudly, "So you too, Eden? I knew he was pretty monkish in the Corps, but he's really making up for lost time! I had no idea my brother was such a man-ho."

Sara and Eden laughed. "He's really not," said Eden. "He came in pretty early, and being such a nice guy, decided to take a shower while we were asleep. The first time we met him, he was buck naked in the shower. Once we saw Hugh Jackman's body double standing naked -- well as Sara said, the panties came off. We're the ones who were pretty ho-ish. We just about jumped him right there in the shower."

Ellen leaned back and began to howl in laughter.

"So, what now? The three of you keep playing Three's Company until one of you bows out? That might suck for one of you," said Ellen.

"We're not sure," said Sara. "Look, we tend to scare guys off. Apparently, if you're not a 6'3", Wolverine-looking, ex-Marine -- we're a bit intimidating. All we know is that your brother is fine, and unbelievable in the sack. Plus, that damn man will make you fall in love with him."

As Eden nodded in agreement, Ellen looked sympathetically and knowingly at them.

"OK, real girl talk: my sister Jess tells me Drew is still in Praja's head. She's always asking about him, and she's engaged. My big brother is like cat nip for her, apparently. So, while part of me wants to freak out that he's been here little more than 24 hours and already bedded 2 coeds, I am glad to hear he's moving on. That's a really good thing. But seriously, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to bow out," said Sara matter-of-factly. "Drew and I have too much in common to ever be good for one another."

Eden looked at her friend, shocked at her blunt words.

"What do you mean?" said Ellen concernedly.

"We both grew up with no dad. I mean, I know the Judge is great and all that -- and I'm sure they functioned as parents -- but when Drew was freaking out, I knew right away what was going on. He'd lost something -- someone -- that could never be replaced. I knew that because I have too. That's too much dad drama for one relationship -- but the sex would be awesome."

Ellen and Eden sat open-mouthed looking at her. Sara's eyes began to tear up. Eden reached over and hugged her friend.

"Wait, I don't understand. Tell me about your family, Sara," said Ellen kindly.

"It's pretty simple. My mom is an Italian hottie from Brooklyn. She was a Knicks dancer and cheerleader. My biological father is a hall of fame basketball player. Mom would never tell me who he was, other than 'he was a very passionate man.' Yeah right. He saw a cheerleader he wanted to tap on a road trip and was too damn lazy to use a condom. He sent us money, and then when his wife divorced his cheating ass, my mom told me who he was. He's never actually spoken to me, mind you, but I know who he is. He came to the rowing national championships last year, and even did an ESPN interview, telling them how proud he is of his daughter -- his legacy. Asshole probably doesn't even know my name. And that -- that shit is why I'd never be good together with Andy. Too much loss. Too much baggage."

An awkward silence passed. Eden sat silent, clutching her friend. Finally, Ellen spoke again, gracefully changing the subject.

"Sara, I'm so sorry." After another long pause, "What are the two of you studying?"

Eden spoke for both, "I'm pre-med and Sara is PolySci/Pre-law. My dad is a doctor, and Sara wants to be able to personally sue her asshole father for emotional damages."

All three girls burst into laughter.

"What about you? Where did you go?" asked a quickly recovering Sara.

"Well, I did my first two years at Princeton like Jess, so I definitely know about the high-stress environment and the need for a fella to help let off some steam. I finished at The New School/Parsons in New York City with a BFA in fashion design. Not much hope of finding a guy interested in girls in that program," she grinned. "I'm interning this summer for Donna Karan; I actually start on Monday."

"You need to design a clothing line for Amazons like us," quipped Sara.

"Mmm," said Ellen, pausing to scrutinize them. After a bit she said, "Sara, would you please turn around for me? You don't even have to stand up. OK -- I'm 5'10" and I wear a size 6. Eden, you're a bit easier: your measurements are 36C-24-34, and you're also a size 6, and 6' tall. Lots of sixes for you. Sara, you're 40DD-26-38 -- your sports bra is too small and it was throwing me off there for a second. You're 5'11" and probably 3/4, and wear a size 8."

"Damn," said Sara. "You gonna tell us how much we weigh as well?"

"Nope. Sisters need to keep something between themselves. But I'd be within 5 lbs, I'd guess."

"OK, so you know how hard it is for tall girls with boobs and shoulders to find anything that fits, then?" asked an exasperated Eden.

"Yes, I do. That's the ironic thing. I'm sure half the girls on campus would kill to have bodies like yours, and they look at you like you're just showing off because you wear yoga pants all the time. But the truth is, they're some of the only things that fit well. And, if I had an ass like either one of you, I'd wear yoga pants as well," explained Ellen. "The two of you can't win for losing."

"Funny," quipped Sara. "Andy said the exact same thing."

"Really?"

"He did. 'Tall, smart, athletic, high-achieving, and beautiful -- the two of you can't win for losing'," said Eden trying to imitate Andy.

"I have an idea," said Ellen. "I have to do a final project for my internship, something that tackles a contemporary challenge of either design or fit. With more and more women doing cross-fit and other fitness programs, fitting women like you . . ."

"Like us, you mean," Sara interjected. "Miss Ellen you're stacked and jacked as well. Are all the DeGroat's beautiful people?"

Ellen smiled. "Thank you. That's what we're told, and it does get kind of old, to tell you the truth. Whatever you do, don't tell Drew -- I mean Andy -- that he's beautiful."

Eden and Sara looked at one another and burst out laughing. Ellen soon joined them when she realized her warning was too little, too late.

"So back to my idea: my grandfather is being given a lifetime achievement award by the Massachusetts Bar Association at the end of the summer. It will be a black-tie affair. My design project will be to create dresses for the two of you to wear that night -- because I'm sure Andy will ask the two of you to be his plus one. You'll look amazing, and I'll have a great fit project to work on for Donna!"

"What if he doesn't ask us?" queried Eden.

"Have you noticed how often he's looked over here? He's not checking on his baby sister," said a grinning Ellen. "I'd say you're safe on that front. Plus, two amazing looking Amazonian Princesses will be a great deterrent for Praja. She clerks for my grandfather, so I'm sure she'll be there. Arm candy with arms like yours would scare off any woman but a crazy one."

"Wow. Thank you," said Eden.

"No way! I should be thanking you. You're both sickeningly gorgeous, so you'll make whatever I put on you look amazing. We'll chose colors that go well with your skin tones, and a cut that accentuates your height. Standing next to a man as tall as Andrew, you'll both look stunning. A woman in love always does," Ellen said knowingly.

"Is it that obvious?" asked Sara.

"To another woman? Yes. But I get it. I've spent my dating life trying to find a guy like either my grandfather or my brother. So did Jess. Her husband is actually Russian, so she could not find a guy like them in the United States!"

"Really? Your brother-in-law is Russian? Andy didn't tell us that," said Sara.

"Well, being from Boston and lifelong Bruins fans, we don't like to admit that Alexander Fedorov is in the family."

"Holy shit. The defenseman for the Capitals? That Alexander Fedorov?" exclaimed Eden.

"Yep. He and Jess met at a charity event. They got married last summer. Andy was in a wheelchair for the wedding. Jess is clerking in DC, and Alex plays for the Caps."

"I guess Andy did tell us that his sister was an attorney. Who's she clerking for?" asked Eden.

"We don't usually talk about that, but since you two are Andy's roommates -- it's Chief Justice Anne Chambers Riley."

At this point, Sara choked on the drink of water she had just taken. She coughed uncontrollably for a few seconds, and then recovered. Eden sat and looked shocked.

"I'm sorry. It's just that the Judge doesn't want people thinking that it's favoritism. Jess is really bright, and she knows lots of the right people because of our parents, and our grandfather. I know our family can be a bit . . . intimidating," said Ellen apologetically. "I'm sorry if it's overwhelming. Dammit, Droobie will kill me for telling you and freaking you out."

"No, he's gonna kill you when we start calling him Droobie," laughed Eden.

"We gave each other nicknames when we were kids -- my grandmother hates them. Jes-SICA, Droobie, and Smellin'. You've now met the DeGroat kids," smiled Ellen. "Hey, grandma is coming up tonight. The two of you have to stay with us at the cabin tonight. I'll tell grandpa I've invited you if you think it would make things awkward with Andrew."

At this point, Andy walked over to the table. "Ladies, at the risk of breaking up a good thing, it's 2 PM, and Eden has a flight to catch to Paris with her family. The Judge has gone to pull the Rover up."

All three girls got up, and as Andy was holding the door open for them, all three kissed him on the cheek and called him, "Droobie."

The Judge and Ellen headed to the cabin, having extracted promises that Andy and Sara would indeed bring overnight bags and spend the weekend with the rest of the family. As all three were packing, it was quiet and introspective in The Commons. Sensing that Eden needed to talk with Andy, Sara made an excuse about forgetting something in the Boathouse, "I'll be back in like, 10 minutes," she said.