Fire in the Belly Ch. 02

Story Info
Expanded - missing pages added.
3.8k words
3.78
46.5k
31
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/21/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Skippy47
Skippy47
1,827 Followers

Author's note: This is the sequel to Fire in the Belly that I thought I had submitted. After a reader asked for a third part, I went into Literotica and read the first two parts. I was surprised to see that most of the story of Chapter 2 had been left out. I do not know where the error was made, but I accept blame. I should have checked after it was published. So, I recommend that the reader go back and read Chapter 1 before reading this true version of Chapter 2. I apologize for the mistake. I hope you enjoy.

*

Melissa was really disappointed in the outcome of today's divorce meeting. In her mind, Howard was supposed to forgive her, and she would resume her place as mother, wife, and lover. After all, she hadn't really done anything that bad. She deserved a second chance. "Why can't he just get over it?"

As she waited for the divorce to be final, Melissa struggled with a new schedule that included working in regular visits with her kids in addition to her job. Taking care of the apartment was easier than a house, so on several days she actually had more leisure time than before. Neither she nor Howard was interested in more than the basic communication necessary for each kid exchange. The kids learned early not to mention the divorce or, heaven forbid, a reconciliation.

Melissa had time to date again. She didn't really want to, but everyone kept saying: "Get on with your life." "Move on." "Start a new life." Melissa decided she had the time to look for someone of quality who might be a potential mate. She still had a lot of good years left in her and she was still very attractive. The unfortunate incident in the motel had proven that at least.

The choice of men at work and men at bars had a similar theme: The best-looking men were married although that didn't seem to bother them as far as them being willing to go to bed with her. The second-choice men had more of a chance to not be married, but after a few minutes of conversation, she was quickly able to determine why they weren't most women's first-choice.

When she did have dates, Melissa kept comparing them to Howard. She didn't know what bothered her the most: that she compared other men to Howard or that no one else seemed to measure up. She blamed Howard for her lack of success in finding another man. Finally, she was horny and drunk enough to go out with a second-choice man. After her last experience, Melissa avoided the big dicks and settled for an average.

The man put a lot of effort into seduction which gave Melissa hope for a slow, long-lasting, lovemaking session. Instead what happened was his 'weasel' popped in about the same time as the puppet when the handle on the tin box was turned to the tune of 'All Around the Mulberry Bush.' He promised to last longer after a short rest.

When he went to sleep, Melissa got dressed and took off. She proceeded home to rejuvenate her pity party she held frequently in her apartment. Melissa decided to take a break from the dating scene. Her frequent question arose again, "What is wrong with me?" She considered counseling.

Melissa found out from the girls that Howard was having a hard time as Lauren's husband returned home and promptly took them to Aruba for a second honeymoon. Howard had to be mother and father all by himself again. Melissa couldn't help herself and offered to take over some chores for Howard temporarily. Surely, he would see how much he needed her. Howard acknowledged her offer with this statement: "Melissa, you can't cross a burnt bridge." So much for 'never say never.'

In one way, it was a good thing Melissa had not been dating. That burning sensation when she urinated turned out to be a STD, not a urinary tract infection as she suspected. Mr. Quick Shot had even fewer good qualities than she had expected. After the antibiotic shot, she came home and hit the bottle. Melissa was a two- way drunk. She was either angry and hateful or amorous and horny. Melissa cursed Howard specifically (she would not have gotten a STD if Howard had only taken her back) and her life in general. Since she could not take revenge on life, she aimed her frustration at Howard.

The last time she saw the children, they had told her Lauren had returned from her second honeymoon. She had started coming over again to help although it was less than before. That pissed Melissa even more as she once again assumed Lauren was probably helping Howard relieve his horniness. After far too many drinks, she made the phone call she should never had made.

She knew that right now Lauren was working at Howard's house. So, she called Lauren's home. A man answered. Melissa asked, "Is this Hal, Lauren's husband?"

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"Well, this is Howard's soon to be ex-wife, Melissa."

"Oh, Lauren told me about the divorce. I'm sorry. She really likes your kids."

"I don't know what your wife told you about our divorce, but I thought you needed to know it was partly because of your wife."

"She told me that you seemed jealous of her helping with the kids and the housework."

"Did she tell you the 'housework' I objected to was how she 'took care' of my husband?"

"She said that nothing happened romantically between them. Lauren is a very kind and caring person. She is easy to fall in love with. I have always trusted her to be faithful to me."

"Well, I trusted Howard too. That is until he told me that they slept together." (Melissa neglected to mention that he said both he and Lauren were both clothed.)

"Howard admitted that to you? Why would he do that?"

"It could be he was planning on leaving me and take up with your wife. Maybe he wanted to flaunt her in my face, I suppose."

"Thanks, Melissa. I'll take care of things from here."

Melissa immediately felt guilty that she had gone too far. But she hadn't technically lied. She figured Hal would just refuse to let Lauren work for Howard and the girls any more. Without Lauren's help, Howard would then see he needed his wife back. Then everything would be okay again. That's what she hoped anyway.

The next evening, Howard was just finishing up the supper dishes and was trying to psyche himself up to do homework with the kids. It was frustrating to be able to get the correct answers using old school methods, but then be told by the kids that 'You did it wrong.' That meant I couldn't show according to the new method how I got the answer. The doorbell rang, and Howard opened the door.

Lauren was standing on the porch. She was in obvious distress. He could see a blackened eye and evidence of crying. "Lauren, what happened? Come in."

"I can't come in. I just came to warn you and say good-bye. Someone told Hal that you and I were sleeping together. Normally he is a teddy bear, but he had been drinking and he got angry. He refused to listen to me. That made me angry and called him some names. That led him to hit me and kick me out. He immediately apologized, but I told him I wouldn't stay with a husband who wouldn't trust me and would hit me. You need to stay away from him. He's a totally different person when he's drunk.

"I am headed to my parents. They are elderly and could use some help. I'm not sure I will ever be back. It breaks my heart to think I might never see your kids again. I will send you my mailing address. Please send me pictures now and then. Tell them I'm sorry I couldn't say good-bye." As she broke down sobbing, she ran back to her car that she had left running.

Howard was in shock. He immediately thought of several things he would like to have said to Lauren but didn't. Calls from Bryan and Augusta for help on homework, took part of his mind off what had just happened. The other part of his mind kept worrying about Lauren. He had a pretty good idea who had told Hal the lie about him and Lauren.

Just before bedtime, the door bell rang again. Howard hoped it was Lauren returning so he could ask if he could help as well as thank her for all she had done. This time he opened the door to see Hal, an obviously drunk Hal. Howard felt both anger at Hal for hitting Lauren and fear for what Hal might do. The anger part was more prevalent, unfortunately. "Now look here Hal, you can't just come . . . ." That was all he got out of his mouth before Hal's right cross knocked him out cold.

Being knocked out was fortunate for Howard as he was kicked repeatedly by Hal. It wasn't until Bryan came in and started hitting Hal and screaming, "Stop it! That's my Daddy!" that Hal came to his senses. He immediately felt remorse.

"Kid, where is your mother?"

"She doesn't live here anymore. Go away!" In the next few moments, both Bryan and Augusta were kneeling by their bleeding father and crying. Hal called 911 and asked for both an ambulance and the police. He told Bryan to call his mother or someone else who could look after them. Bryan called Melissa. When Augusta started kicking him in the shin, Hal just cried and didn't even try to stop her.

At the same time Melissa was pulling up to the house, the ambulance with Howard was pulling out. Hal was being put into handcuffs and taken to the police car. She went inside and relieved the female police officer who trying to console the kids. Melissa had to convince the police officer she was sober enough to care for the kids properly. Melissa spent over an hour trying to calm the kids down after the police left. They would not be quietened until they knew if their father would be alright. After half a pot of coffee, she finally agreed to take them to the hospital.

At the hospital, she made the doctor tell her in front of the kids what the situation was after he had told her. Broken ribs, punctured lung, testicle damage and numerous bruises. Surgery was being performed at this time for the lung and to search for possible internal bleeding. It would be a couple of days probably before he would be allowed visitors.

Melissa and the kids stayed up late. She left a voice mail at work to tell her boss she needed emergency leave. The kids were told that they did not have to go to school the next day. On the third day since the incident, Melissa was told Howard could have visitors. She took the kids after they got out of school. Howard greeted his kids warmly and assured them he would be alright. He was as cheerful and optimistic as possible. He ignored Melissa for most of the time. Finally, he asked Bryan to take his sister to the vending machines and get them both a treat. He ordered Melissa to stay.

As soon as the kids were out of sight, Melissa started with "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never thought he would hurt you." Tears flowed.

"It wasn't good enough for you to wreck one marriage. You had to ruin two marriages. Did you know he beat Lauren and kicked her out of the house? Are you satisfied now, or do you want to kick me too?" Pausing a moment, Howard continued, "Get out, bitch. You can bring the kids again but stay outside my room. I can't stand the sight of you, you selfish . . . " Howard's rant was interrupted by the sound of beeping machines that signaled his blood pressure had reached dangerous levels. Nurses and orderlies rushed in and Melissa was rushed out.

If she had not had responsibility for the kids, Melissa may have walked in front of a truck and ended her life. Somehow, she kept it together long enough to get the kids home and put to bed. They slept better from having seen their Dad. Melissa did not sleep. She cried and cried and cried some more. That next day after the kids went to school, she went to see a counselor on an emergency basis.

Melissa spent a lot of time and a lot more tears in tell the therapist her story. Basically, what she heard from the therapist was that she had to focus on taking care of the kids and doing everything not to upset her husband anymore. The therapist challenged Melissa, "You know the right thing to do, so 'woman up' and do it." Melissa decided she was going to do whatever was needed to help him. Melissa ignored the part about only doing whatever Howard SAID he needed help with. Melissa 2.0 was born.

Life without Howard in the house went on as normal as one could expect. Melissa filled the role as mother as once before. When she took the kids to visit their father, she stayed out of the room telling the kids that she got to see their father while they were in school, so she didn't want to take any time away from their time with their father. While waiting, she pumped the staff with questions about Howard's condition and need for care once he left the hospital.

The choices were a couple of weeks to a month in a rehab facility, i.e., a nursing home, or rehab at home. Howard was debating his choices and contacting home health agencies when Melissa walked in. She was erect and direct. "Okay, Howard, this is how it's going to be. I have adapted your house, so you can rehab at home. Your kids need you there. You can't afford home health care, so I will be your caregiver and therapist aide. I have taken Family Medical Leave which they gave because we are still technically married. I have moved into the spare bedroom. ALL I will be to you is your caregiver and aide. I will be the kids' mother and your housekeeper. This will last until you are able to care for yourself. At that time, we will go back to being almost ex-spouses without benefits. Any questions?"

After getting over the shock, Howard responded, "Who the hell are you to tell me what's best for me and what I'm going to do?"

"Maybe Hal should have kicked you in the head to give you some common sense. Either that or you weren't listening to me just now. Me taking care of you and our kids in your home is the cheapest and best thing for the kids and you. Got it, buster." A stunned Howard did not reply at first. The thought of being home with his kids was overwhelmingly appealing.

"Your pronouncement has one benefit I can see. With you there, I'll be doing my darn best to get better as fast as I can, so I can throw your ass out as soon as possible."

"I don't care how you justify it in your hate-filled, little brain. It's best for the kids and you. You're stuck with me. Deal with it." Melissa left to check on the discharge procedures.

Howard was surprised how well the situation worked out at home. He wanted to hate her so bad. But he had to admit, Melissa was great with the kids and took good care of him. Since she had seen and used his private parts before, neither were embarrassed when she washed him or helped him use the commode. Neither mentioned the erections that sometimes appeared. Melissa was careful not to expose too much of her body as a possible sexual enticement. She kept to the guest bedroom. She relied totally on the kids or Howard in choosing what activities to do. The house was kept, and all chores were performed in an orderly fashion.

Of course, Howard had thoughts that Melissa was putting on an act in hopes of getting him to give in on the divorce. He made several snide remarks regarding Melissa and her fault in Lauren having to leave and his beating. If she said anything to those comments, it was something like, "You're right. I did some terrible, inexcusable things. I'm still sorry. Next topic?" This was said with no emotion.

The real test to reveal her purpose as far as Howard was concerned was Divorce Day. Howard received his copy of the divorce decree and made sure it lay on the kitchen table. Her copy was sent to her apartment and she only picked up mail every few days. She briefly glanced at the papers before clearing off the table to put out that night's dinner. No noticeable reaction.

Howard got better, and Melissa gradually reduced her support for his care. She was the one to bring up the day of her moving out. "Howard, you are close to not needing my help for your care. If it's okay with you, I'll move back to my apartment this weekend. I need to get back to work. You might want to think about hiring help. I doubt you'll get as good as help that Lauren was, and, no, that's not a double entendre regarding an affair; but you should look into getting help."

Howard had mellowed somewhat over the weeks. "Melissa, you have kept your word. You have done a good job as mother and as my caregiver. I would like to offer you some payment for what you've done."

"Nonsense, my care of the kids is what a mother does. For most of the time I was here, I was technically still your wife and I was just doing what a wife would do. You don't owe me any money. I just hope we can keep our civility when we have issues with the children. I am glad you gave me the opportunity to help."

Howard was wanting to say "I'll miss you" but he couldn't. The wounds were still too raw. Instead he said, "The kids will miss you."

For the first time since he came home, he saw Melissa cry. She left Friday night after an emotional good-bye with the kids.

Howard did miss her. The kids would not let him forget her. Every day it was, "Mom did it better. I miss Mom. Why can't Mom come home?" and on and on. Bryan proved wiser than his years when his Dad complained how their mother had hurt him. The twelve year-old counseled, "Why do you always remember just the bad things Mom did to you? Why can't you remember all the good things she did for you? Aren't there more good things than bad?" Howard pondered what Bryan had asked for a long time. There were a lot of good things.

Melissa resumed her previous single life. The time living back home and taking care of the kids and Howard made life worth living. What did she have to live for now? She went back to counseling. The therapist concentrated on helping her move on and make herself a new life. Everyone seemed to say that to her. The problem was all that Melissa wanted her old life. She wanted her kids and Howard on a full-time basis. She knew losing it was her fault. It was decision time. She finally had an answer to the question, "What's wrong with me?" The answer was, "I'm what's wrong with me."

Melissa drew her bath. She loved the hot luxurious baths she took to soothe her soul. One thing was different tonight, she brought a carving knife from the kitchen. First, she tried to review all the good times she could remember, one last time. She lay back and daydreamed.

Her cell phone's ring woke her from her dream. She wanted to ignore it, but the last little part of her that had some hope told her to look. It was Howard. She answered.

"Melissa, would you like some good news?"

"I'm not sure I would recognize good news if it hit me in the face. What is it?"

"Hal came over."

"Oh no."

"Wait. Let me continue. Hal came over. He was all apologetic and thankful I had talked the DA out of prosecuting him. Hal said he had gone to anger management classes, alcohol treatment, and individual counseling. He and Lauren have reconciled. Hal plans to spend the rest of his life making up for how he mistreated Lauren. No more overseas trips. Then Hal told me he would pay all my hospital bills. I told him that my insurance had covered most everything. So, he said he was going to give me enough money to cover all the pay I lost after my sick leave ran out plus some for the expenses I had in rehab. $200,000! Can you believe that?"

"I'm happy for you and for Lauren. You both deserve it."

"Wait. That's not all. It turns out that Lauren's parents really needed her more than she thought. Hal is moving to be with Lauren. They're renting a house there. He asked me if I knew someone who might be interested in housesitting their house down the block for an indefinite time. He told me he had plenty of money, so there would be no charge for rent, even utilities are covered. I immediately told him I would ask you. Just think how convenient it would be for you to see the kids and how much money you would save. Plus, I would never let you keep the kids overnight where your apartment is located. It's yours if you want it. What do you say?"

Skippy47
Skippy47
1,827 Followers
12