First Impressions Ch. 07 - Finale

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jennifer nodded for him to continue.

"Last Christmas I was preparing to ask you to marry me but I was told that you didn't feel the same way about me that I did about you and instead of asking you to clarify your feelings I listened to those people that had told me and left you here in Willow Springs and went back to the city. I was heartbroken, but I was convinced that you were not in the same pain I was. Also, I've been told you spend almost three months in New York City and that fact was hidden from me by my very own sister. Jennifer, I came here today for two reasons. The first was to say that I have been the most pig headed idiot there ever was and I'm so sorry that I left in the way I did."

He stopped talking and Jennifer started at him.

"And the second reason?" she asked breathlessly.

David came forward and took her hands in his, "To ask for your forgiveness and even though it's ten months late to ask you to marry me." David dropped to one knee and pulled a ring box from his jacket.

Jennifer gasped and instantly started to cry.

"Jennifer, I love you. I always did. I always will."

Jennifer brought her hand up to cover her face and cried harder. David stood and pulled her hands from her face, "Jennifer..."

"Oh David," she sobbed. "I love you so much." Her sobs broke into laughter and she wrapped her arms around his stomach, just holding him like she hadn't done in almost a year. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and hugged her close.

After a moment he pulled away and offered the ring box again. She laughed and looked at the giant diamond ring. He slipped it on her finger. She looked at it for a moment then looked at David. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her like he'd been wanting to for months.

Jennifer and David went out that night to do come catching up. Ten months of absolutely no contact left them still in love, but unaware of the changes in each-other's lives.

"No need to wait up Laurel," Jennifer had called back to her.

Only Laurel knew about the proposal, the other girls and Margaret only knew that David was back and they were all overjoyed about it. The next morning Laurel anxiously awaited Jennifer's return to get all the details. Laurel milled around her room, cleaned a little, made dinner, did some reading and just past noon she finally heard Jennifer come home. She slipped down to her room for the entire story.

"So...?"

"Is it possible to die of happiness?" Jennifer said beaming.

"I hope not," Laurel answered. "You wouldn't want this end after just one night."

"Oh, Laurel. This is everything I have been hoping for since he left. I am the happiest girl alive today."

Laurel sat on the bed and just listened as Jennifer shared every detail of what had happened the night before...well maybe not every detail.

"But I have one question and David told me he didn't know the answer. How did you know he was coming tonight?"

Laurel smiled, "Oh, just a hunch."

"I don't believe you, but I'm too happy to care today!"

"Good, because I wouldn't tell you anyway!"

Jennifer started to get ready for bed, "I am glad that he's in town alone. He told me MaryAnn was the reason behind him leaving in the first place. Excuse me for saying this...but what a bitch!"

Laurel doubled over laughing. She had never heard her sister use such a strong word to describe anyone in her entire life.

"Bravo, Jennifer!"

"Well you know I normally would never say something like that, but why in the world would you want to split up two people in love?"

Laurel shrugged.

"Well, we won't have to worry about her for a while. She's in Europe with Urs' sister, "bonding." Elinor Buhler must be awful like her brother."

"Oh don't say that," Laurel exclaimed.

"Why? I thought you hated Urs. He was nothing but a jerk to you last year."

"No, Jen. Urs has been nothing but wonderful."

"What in the world are you talking about?" Jennifer was entirely confused.

Laurel sighed, she hadn't planned on telling Jennifer the whole story, but she knew she should. Laurel told Jennifer about her trip to France, the dates and the happenings at the Lourve and the letter that Urs had given her. Then she shared about her short time in Switzerland with Elinor and Urs. And she told her about the torrid sex on the arm of the sofa that still fueled her fantasies. She explained how Urs had been the one to find Cyd and Carlos and had even paid the English team to take on Carlos. Jennifer sat silently the entire time taking it all in.

When Laurel was done Jennifer was still processing, "You had sex with Urs Buhler?" she finally said.

"Yes."

"So...what now?"

"Now it's over," Laurel said.

"Why?"

"Urs could never be with the sister-in-law of Carlos Marin," Laurel reminded. "It's all over. It's best to just cut ties and move on"

Jennifer squeezed Laurel's hand.

Laurel smiled at her, "but I can easily put aside my sadness for your happiness Jen."

Jennifer giggled and the girls jumped onto the bed to talk and giggle all afternoon like they had when they were little.

Jennifer and David shared their news with the family the next day and Margaret looked like she would have a stroke she was so excited. The entire town of Willow Springs knew almost instantly afterwards. Jennifer and David wasted no time and set their wedding date for the first week of May. They would be married at David's home overlooking the valley. Katarina was busy making designs for a dress she would make for Jennifer and the bridesmaid's dresses. Laurel, Heidi, and Kat were obvious choices for bridesmaids as well as Brittney who promised to come from France. Jennifer sat for a long time considering if she should ask MaryAnn.

"David said I don't have to," she told Laurel.

"Then don't," was Laurel's quick reply.

"But she will be my sister-in-law," responded Jen. "It wouldn't be a good start to the marriage if I snubbed her. I don't want to be her enemy for the next fifty years!"

In the end, Jennifer called MaryAnn and invited her to be a bridesmaid. MaryAnn accepted and said she would come to Willow Springs as soon as she left Switzerland.

The first week of March everything was falling into place for the wedding and MaryAnn arrived in New York. She drove out to Willow Springs and met with Jennifer. She seemed to have put all her ill wills behind her and she offered to help with the décor for the wedding. Jennifer gladly accepted knowing MaryAnn's exquisite taste and design skills.

MaryAnn was nice to Jennifer and tolerable to the other sisters and Margaret but she would barely even look at Laurel. Laurel knew MaryAnn felt that Laurel posed a threat to her relationship with Urs.

About a month before the Bennetts were all at David's home for dinner. Margaret was at the end of the table talking to MaryAnn when she noticed a ring on MaryAnn's left ring finger.

"My goodness, what an exquisite ring you have MaryAnn!"

MaryAnn studied the ring, "Yes, it is pretty, isn't it?"

"Pretty? That thing must be five carats!" exclaimed Kat.

"Kat, that's not polite," Laurel chirped in.

"Oh, let her talk, Laurel" MaryAnn said. "I don't mind talking about it. I was hoping someone would notice it. Urs gave it to me."

Laurel dropped her fork. Kat jumped at the clattering sound.

Margaret asked for clarification, "Urs Buhler, you mean?"

"The very same," MaryAnn replied. She looked at Laurel expectantly, waiting for her reaction.

Laurel looked down to David for some answers, but as usual he and Jennifer were deep in intimate conversation and had no idea what was happening at the other end of the table.

"...It's a lovely ring MaryAnn. Please excuse me," Laurel stood and left the room.

She went into the kitchen and tried to collect her thoughts, just when she thought she was composed enough to return to the dining room MaryAnn walked in.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Laurel" MaryAnn said with false sympathy. "But it really is good you know before Urs comes up for the wedding. You wouldn't want to make a fool of yourself by throwing yourself at an engaged man."

"Right," Laurel responded sarcastically. "I wouldn't want to do that."

"I really should thank you, Laurel, for your help in my engagement."

Laurel waited for MaryAnn to continue.

"Without your sister's escapades, I'm afraid he never would have gotten over you. But you understand of course, Urs could never marry YOU."

"Well I'm glad I could help." Laurel glared at MaryAnn then walked past her and back to dinner.

The night of the rehearsal dinner everyone in the wedding was gathered at David's home, except Urs who was on his way from New York City that night. Laurel was trying her best to distract herself from his arrival. When he did arrive Laurel was incredibly relieved to see that Elinor was with him.

"Elinor! How are you, dear?" said MaryAnn loudly. She extended her arms to hug Elinor. Elinor waved but ran right to Laurel.

"Laurel! Oh how I've missed you!"

"Elinor! I didn't know you'd be here!"

"Of course! I wouldn't miss David's wedding! I just love weddings! You know," her voice got very soft. "We're hoping for wedding in our family very soon." She winked and Laurel felt her stomach drop but she didn't let her own sourness infect her friend.

"Yes," she said, raising her eyebrows, "I'm sure that will be a very excellent occasion."

Elinor studied Laurel, "You don't seem as happy about that as you should be."

"Of course I'm happy about it!" Laurel lied out right. "Couldn't be happier."

"Oh my gosh! Laurel! You'll never guess who my date is for the wedding tomorrow!" Elinor was practically jumping out of her skin.

Laurel laughed, "I'll bet I can! Josh!"

"Yes!" Elinor screamed. "Can you believe it! We've been dating since that week after you were in Switzerland! It's like a dream!"

"Elinor, come over here," Urs called.

"Got to go," Elinor rolled her eyes. "But let's talk later!"

Laurel followed her friend across the room to Urs. Her eyes caught his and she looked away ashamed. Laurel stayed next to Brittney most of the night and avoided Urs. After the rehearsal and dinner and toasts Laurel sat with her glass of wine on the porch watching Elinor and Heidi discussing the piano and their favorite composers. She didn't realize Urs was next to her until he spoke.

"She talked of nothing but you for months after you left."

Laurel jumped almost spilling her wine.

"Oh! Urs, hi."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's fine...um how are you?"

"I'm well, thank you." He answered.

Laurel stood quickly, "Congratulations, Urs," she stuck out her hand to shake his.

"Uh...thank you?" he took her hand but looked very confused.

"I'm sure you and MaryAnn will be very happy. Please excuse me." Laurel set down her glass and ran into the house. Urs watched her go wondering what she meant.

Laurel ran through the house and out to her car. She hadn't said goodbye to anyone but she didn't care she'd see them all in the morning. She just couldn't stay in the house with Urs one more moment. She was going to drive home but found that she drove herself to the Willow Springs cemetery. She parked and walked past the moss covered head stones until she came to her father's new and shiny one. She sat on the bench opposite it.

There was a heavy fog rolling in from the west and the gloomy lights of the cemetery cast shadows everywhere. Laurel felt some trepidation about sitting in a spooky graveyard at night, but stayed. All her feelings were welling up inside her. Her heart felt like it was being hit repeatedly by a baseball bat when finally she thought her heart would burst open she allowed the tears to flow. She sobbed. Maybe it was a few minutes or maybe a few hours she had no sense of time as she sat in the cemetery. It was a warm May night and she lay down on the bench while she cried and eventually she fell asleep.

Laurel jolted awake to a bird overhead. She looked around and realized the sun way rising. The fog was still hovering around the cemetery and she looked around to grasp where she was. She rubbed her eyes and guessed it was probably about seven o'clock. She stretched the crick in her neck from spending the night on a park bench without a pillow.

She stood and started to walk back down the hill to her car, but she turned back to her father's headstone. She patted the cold stone then started walking.

About halfway down the hill she saw someone jogging up her way. She assumed it was someone from town, but after a moment realized it was Urs. Laurel stopped. She wanted to run in the opposite direction, but she realized that would be childish and a waste since he was much faster than her anyway.

"Laurel!" he called to her.

"What?" She yelled back.

He jogged up to her, "Where have you been? Everyone's been searching for you? Jennifer realized this morning that you never went home."

"I've been here. I fell asleep up by my father's headstone," she gestured back up the hill.

Urs slipped his jacket off his shoulders and offered it to Laurel. She hesitated but did take it because she was cold. They stood there awkwardly for moment.

"Well, I should get home. I'm sure everyone is already getting their hair and makeup done. I'm probably behind," Laurel said. She started to walk towards her car.

"I figured out what you meant," Urs said.

"What?" Laurel turned to him.

"I figured out what you meant by congratulating me last night."

"Oh." Laurel kept walking.

Suddenly Urs had her by the arms and turned her around. He looked her right in the eyes.

"Laurel, MaryAnn and I are NOT engaged."

"Urs, you don't have to spare my feelings, I saw the ring." Laurel shook her head.

"What ring?"

"The ring she said you gave her!"

Urs thought for a moment then laughed, "Well I suppose technically I did give her a ring-gave it back to her. It was in my family's Swiss safe for a year while she wasn't wearing it."

It was Laurel's turn to be confused.

"So then...you aren't engaged?"

"No," Urs took one small step closer to her.

"And you convinced David to come back and propose to Jen?"

"Yes," he nodded taking another step closer.

"And you tracked down Carlos and Cyd and convinced them to stay together and paid for all the legal stuff and got him a job in England?"

"Yes," he stepped to directly in front of Laurel, their toes almost touching.

"And, you don't hate me for after all of that?"

Urs wrapped an arm around Laurel's waist, "I could never hate you. I love you." He placed his lips firmly on Laurel's and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders completely consumed in his kiss. And this kiss was a once in a lifetime, remember forever kiss.

Laurel looked into Urs' amazing grey eyes, "I love you, too."

He smiled and kissed her again.

Finally they separated and walked hand in hand down to the road. Urs drove Laurel home and opened the car door for her at her house. Laurel stepped out of the car and wrapped her arms around Urs' waist for another lingering kiss.

"I'll see you at the wedding?" she asked.

"I believe we even have a chance to walk together. Best Man and Maid of Honor after all."

Laurel placed one more peck on his cheek and walked to the front door.

She stepped inside and found her mother, three of her sisters, and Brittney waiting for her.

"Laurel Bennett! Where have you been all night? Was that Urs Buhler dropping you off?"

Laurel hugged her mother and sweetly said, " Mom, I will explain it all to you at some point, but right now, let's get ready for this wedding.

~*~*~*~*~* 3 years later ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Laurel took a sip from her wine glass and handed it to Urs for a refill. He poured the wine and handed back to her putting the empty bottle on the bed side table next to him. He wrapped his arm around her and she laid her head on his shoulder. She sighed in contentment, still tingling from their sexual escapades moments before.

"It was a beautiful wedding," she commented.

"It was," Urs agreed. "They will be very happy together." He kissed her hair. "The bride was beautiful."

Laurel laughed swung her feet over the side of the bed. "You may be a little biased." Walking across the room she stepped over the bridesmaid's dress and undergarments that had been deposited haphazardly on the floor. She snatched her silk, finger-tip-robe up off the closet door hook and pulled it around her shoulders. She walked out onto the master balcony overlooking the lake.

Urs also chuckled and pulling on a pair of grey silk pajama pants followed her outside, "I suppose I am a bit biased. But one must expect that when his only little sister gets married."

Laurel gazed out at the acres of meadow that lead down to the river and across the border of France. The home she now shared with Urs on the Swiss border was more majestic than any palace she could imagine. She looked down at the remnants of the wedding that had taken place on the grounds just a few hours before. She felt Urs come up behind her and put his hands on her hips. He brushed her hair to one side and kissed behind her ear.

"You know," she said. "Elinor's pretty lucky to have married Josh Gordan. He's pretty damn handsome."

Urs stepped back and pretended to be shocked, "Mrs. Buhler, as a married woman you shouldn't say such things about other women's husbands!" He stepped back inside and sat down on the edge of the bed.

Laurel smiled coyly and walked to him, "I find I can say whatever I want about other women's husbands because mine is more handsome than all of them put together." Laurel sat on Urs knee and kissed her husband. She smiled and rested her forehead against his.

"How could you ever have fallen in love with me?" she wondered out loud.

"It happened so quickly that I didn't even realize it until it was too late to stop it."

Laurel laughed, "But I was always so mean to you. Every time I saw you I did my best to make sure you knew how I hated you. Obviously that didn't work"

"There's something incredibly alluring about a gorgeous woman who can't stand you." Urs kissed Laurel again, but she wasn't done discussing the matter.

"But why did it take so long for you to tell me how you felt? If I had rejected you earlier maybe you would have moved on."

"Are you regretting how things have happened?"

"Of course not," she kissed him to prove it, running a hand along his chest. "I just wonder how I could have been so blind to your feelings for so long. You hardly even talked to me in public."

"I was embarrassed. I didn't know what to say without sounding like an idiot in your presence."

"You, Urs Buhler, have never ever sounded like an idiot in your life."

Urs tried to reach a hand under her robe, but she stopped him. "I'm serious Urs. I want to know why keep trying even after I rejected you in France that night."

"I suppose I'm too proud to accept a defeat. When you left me at the Louvre I was angry but I quickly realized you were right about me. I wanted to prove to you that I wasn't what you thought I was and wanted to make you love me."

"So you made sure I was invited to the conference that was coincidentally hosted at your building?"

"The annual conference is always held at our building and it just took one mention of your name to get you on the list. They were impressed with your work; it really didn't take any manipulation from me."

"Are all the guests put up in luxury hotels free of charge and invited to your home for dinner every night?"

"No...that was just for you." Urs pulled Laurel against him and she breathed in the intoxicating scent of his hair. "And I think it worked."

"I was in love with you before I even got to Switzerland," she admitted. "Seeing you at your house and with your sister just confirmed everything you'd said in your letter. I was totally oblivious to your real character because I believed what others had told me about you. And to be honest, you always were the most attractive man I ever saw in my life."