First Light Revisited

Story Info
Two women finding themselves.
4.5k words
4.36
4.4k
3
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The moment her sneakers crossed the threshold of the studio, Jan felt out of her depth. Her trusty tech t-shirts and running leggings seemed out of place among the blowy pants and serene expressions. She'd conquered boardrooms and complex coding problems, but mastering a sun salutation? That felt like scaling Everest in flip-flops.

A glance around the room confirmed her worst fears -- everyone seemed to know exactly what they were doing, settling into poses with practiced ease. Everyone except...her? Jan's heart did a little pitter-patter as she saw a familiar face enter the room. Maya. Her gym buddy.

Maya was everything Jan admired. Confident, athletic, with a killer smile that lit up every spin class. But yoga? This was new territory. Sure, they'd exchanged friendly nods and grunts at the gym, but the quiet, meditative space of yoga felt different, more intimate.

Jan, with her usual techie confidence dampened by the unfamiliar, sneaked a glance as Maya unrolled her mat a few spots away. Even with the focus on her face, there was a hint of uncertainty mirrored in Maya's movements that made Jan feel a sudden kinship with her crush.

The instructor, a woman with a voice softer than cashmere, began to lead the class. "This is a practice of kindness," she said. "Towards our bodies, and towards our minds."

Jan, who usually prided herself on her quick intellect, struggled to keep up. Every time she found herself in a vaguely dog-shaped contortion, a glance at Maya revealed an equally perplexed expression. A muffled giggle bubbled up and threatened to disrupt the solemnity of the class.

Halfway through, during an excruciating balancing pose, a clatter echoed through the room. It was Jan, sprawled unceremoniously on the floor, arms flailing like a startled starfish. Mortification burned through her as she tried to regain her composure.

And then, she heard it - a soft chuckle not of judgment, but one of shared amusement. Looking up, she met Maya's eyes, filled with a warmth that melted away the embarrassment.

As the class came to a close, a strange feeling washed over Jan. Defeated, yes, but with an unexpected lightness. Leaving the studio, she bumped into Maya.

"Well, that was...interesting," Maya said with a grin.

"I think I'll stick to coding," Jan confessed, cheeks flushing. "But hey, I can respect a good downward dog."

"Wanna grab a coffee?" Maya asked. "They do a decent latte around here, and commiseration always tastes better with caffeine."

Jan hesitated, then a smile spread across her face. New territory, be damned. "Absolutely," she said. "Lead the way."

The shared smile after class was like a jolt of electricity. Jan felt a flutter in her stomach that had nothing to do with the savasana pose. Maya, still warm and radiant from the practice, approached with a friendly eagerness that melted away Jan's residual awkwardness.

"So," Maya started, tucking a strand of dark hair behind her ear. "I might need a crash course in...well, not crashing during yoga."

"Welcome to the club," Jan laughed, the relief in her voice genuine. "You wouldn't believe the number of times I've accidentally headbutted the mat."

A camaraderie blossomed between them, a sense of being in this strange, bendy world together. Over their promised lattes, it turned out Maya worked in graphic design, giving her an appreciation for precise lines that didn't translate as well into Warrior One poses. Jan, ever the coder, found a strange kinship in trying to decipher the ancient language of her own body.

Coffee led to exchanging numbers, and Jan found herself with a burning question: how do you flirt over text when you can barely form coherent sentences in real life? After agonizing for a solid hour over what to send, she finally settled on a simple, "Guess I owe you a proper downward dog demonstration?"

The reply came almost instantly: "Only if I can return the favor with a downward-facing laptop ;)". Accompanying it was a playful winking emoji, and that was all the confirmation Jan needed. This was definitely going to be a more interesting practice than she bargained for.

As the next yoga class approached, Jan found herself both nervous and strangely excited. Yes, humiliation was still a distinct possibility, but there was a new thrill to it. She walked through the studio doors, Maya's smile a beacon among a sea of stretchy pants.

Their eyes met, and Jan knew then that whatever poses she mangled, however many times she toppled over, it was already worth it. Maya was more than just a pretty face or a killer spin-class partner -- there was a warmth there, a playful spark that had Jan stepping boldly off her familiar ground.

The instructor began their practice, her voice a soothing guide. This time, Jan's focus wasn't solely on the pose, but the woman a few mats away. Maya glanced back, another secret smile exchanged, and that was the fuel Jan needed. With each shaky breath, each clumsy attempt, she felt herself not just learning yoga, but learning a different language entirely. The language of shared vulnerability, playful smiles, and the quiet understanding that sometimes the bravest moves happen not just on the mat, but in the leap towards a connection.

Introductions over lattes flowed with unexpected ease. It wasn't just the shared experience of their yoga-shaped disasters, but a spark that Jan found herself fanning with every shared laugh. She was used to reading code, analyzing data patterns... yet here, it was Maya's expressions that held her rapt -- the quirk of a smile, the way her eyes seemed to linger a fraction too long over Jan's face.

Each tiny observation was like a line of code illuminating a hidden potential, a language of unspoken attraction. That flicker in Maya's eyes mirrored her own growing certainty. The unspoken crackled around them, a sweet tension that had Jan's logical brain short-circuiting slightly.

Jan, drawn by a force far more potent than algorithms, found herself playing a delicate game. Her fingers traced lazy circles around her coffee mug, and she casually licked her lips, a small gesture infused with both nerves and audacious intent. It was a test, a flare of nonverbal communication.

And Maya...Maya was clearly fluent in this language. The way she unconsciously mirrored the gesture, the subtle flush on her cheeks -- it was a symphony of 'yes' that swelled in the space between them.

"All this meditative breathing has me parched," Jan ventured, her voice pitched slightly lower, tinged with an edge of something almost playful. "How about a drink to... rehydrate?" She held Maya's gaze, a silent question suspended in the space between them.

Maya seemed to momentarily lose her usual athletic confidence, but her eyes held a hint of answering mischief. "I'm not sure my tree pose will improve after a cocktail," she teased, "but I'm always up for... experimentation."

There it was. Agreement woven into the shared joke, a coded invitation. Jan knew the protocol for this had nothing to do with tech manuals. She leaned in, their knees almost brushing under the tiny café table, and said, "I know a place with dim lighting and excellent whiskey. Lab work can wait till tomorrow."

Maya's smile was her final confirmation, as a spark ignited between them, a thrilling promise of a different kind of exploration. This, Jan knew, would be a code she was very eager to solve.

As they walked out of the coffee shop, the setting sun painted the world in hues of orange and pink, a breathtaking backdrop for the start of something new. In that moment, the awkward techie and the athletic photographer felt less like gym buddies and more like two souls ready to explore life's beauty, together, one sun salutation (or lack thereof) at a time.

Absolutely! Here's a revised version of the text focusing on a more natural tone, internal thoughts, and specific details:

Maya, her steps mirroring Jan's own hurried excitement, led the way. Their walk became a flurry of half-glances and quiet jokes, the only breaks the occasional nervous giggle or the scrape of their sneakers on the sidewalk. The late afternoon sun dipped low, stretching their shadows across the cracked pavement, turning the ordinary street into something out of a worn postcard.

As they got closer, a flicker of surprise ran through Jan. Was that it? Tucked between a bakery wafting with sweet cinnamon and a thrift shop crammed with faded dresses, a plain wooden door sat almost unnoticed. Above it, a gas lamp sputtered to life.

"Seriously?" Jan breathed, more to herself than Maya, a mix of amusement and disbelief in her voice.

Maya just grinned. "Yep. Welcome to The Blind Owl." If she noticed Jan's raised eyebrows, she didn't show it. Then again, Maya always had a flair for the unexpected -- heck, yoga class was never meant to lead to this.

Holding the door open, Jan bowed slightly. "After you," she said. A dumb, old-fashioned gesture, maybe, but the night felt like it deserved a little extra something.

The inside was a shock of dimness after the fading daylight. Warm light, the smell of old wood, and a quiet hum of voices washed over them. Jazz, not too loud, drifted from somewhere. Battered booths lined the walls, filled with people whispering or leaning in close to laugh. The place felt hidden, secret, and Jan's earlier amusement shifted into something heady and thrilling.

A man with a mustache so perfectly waxed it had to be ironic stood behind the bar. "New faces," he said, more of a statement than a question.

Jan shot Maya a look. So far, this evening was absolutely nothing like she expected, and her heart decided it liked that just fine.

"New indeed," Maya said. Her fingers brushed Jan's lightly as she gestured towards a booth in the back. "Table for two, please?"

The walk to their booth was short, but it felt like slow-motion. Was this a date? Were they flirting? Did it even matter? A heady rush filled Jan, a mix of nerves and plain old excitement. Maybe it wasn't about labels. Maybe it was about hidden doors on ordinary streets, quiet laughter, and Maya's hand warm against hers.

"Okay, gotta rip the bandaid off..." Jan took a slightly too-big sip of water. "You looked awesome in yoga. Like, seriously, how do you hold that warrior pose?" She immediately wanted to kick herself. Was that too weird?

Maya laughed, a surprised blush warming her cheeks. "It's called practice...and a lot of falling over. Seriously, yoga's basically my therapy right now."

Jan grinned, relieved Maya wasn't put off. "Same. But sometimes I think my downward dog looks more like... dying cockroach."

They both laughed, the shared joke breaking the last of the awkwardness. A waiter slid a gigantic leather menu onto the table -- did wine lists always have to be this intimidating? They decided to split a bottle, the description -- "bold, with a hint of spice" -- feeling like a good omen.

They ordered -- Jan went all-in with a cheese plate, Maya something light with too many sprouts. Typical. But those little differences were exciting, hinting at whole worlds yet to uncover. The food seemed almost like an afterthought. They were both too busy getting lost in a swirl of easy banter and shy smiles, wanting to linger in that sweet spot where flirting becomes... something deeper. There were stories beneath their stories, a hunger for real connection that went way beyond shared downward dog disasters. The night stretched out ahead of them, full and shimmery and a little bit scary, like looking out over an unfamiliar city from a rooftop.

The clock stopped mattering. Laughter bubbled up, nervous at first, then bolder, filling the gaps where words usually did their work. A quick glance across the table became a whole conversation, a giddy game of eye contact. The wine was good, but it wasn't doing all the heavy lifting -- something else was loosening their tongues, making them brave. It wasn't just the usual chatter about work or weekend plans. They were trading dreams, peeling back layers, finding little echoes of themselves in each other.

As the place emptied out, Jan felt it --that stupid, reckless surge she always got. Maya was... what? Intriguing was too weak a word. Clever, warm, and those eyes, damn, they didn't just look at you, they saw right through you. The unspoken thing between them, the maybe-this-could-be-something energy, was getting too loud to ignore.

She leaned in -- the table was small, it wasn't some grand gesture. Wine and Maya's own unique scent -- something earthy and sweet -- filled her head. Then, just the lightest touch of her lips to Maya's cheek. Not a kiss, exactly. More like a question whispered against skin: Can we do this? Is this real?

Jan jerked back instantly, feeling like her face was on fire. Classic Jan -- leap, then look, then die inside waiting for the fallout. She locked eyes with Maya, desperate for a clue. No anger. No pulling away. Just... shock, maybe? And dammit, was that hope?

The air crackled. That tiny, stolen kiss hung between them. Proof that this wasn't just drinks with a coworker, this was...something else. Skin flushed, smiles shaky, but underneath the embarrassment, something deeper sparked. This wasn't just okay, this was exciting as hell.

"Whoa, okay, how'd this happen so fast? Was it the way we both totally ate it in yoga? The dim lights and old-timey music here? Or... something else, something I can't put my finger on?" Inside, Jan's head was spinning. All that planning, all those worries about coming off the right way -- poof, gone. Suddenly, all that mattered was the way Maya's eyes lit up when she smiled.

She locked eyes with Maya, and a thousand questions buzzed between them. Finally, Jan managed, "Hey, can I tell you something? It's kinda...well, important." A nervous laugh almost escaped, but she swallowed it down. There was a flicker in her eyes, like she was asking for permission as much as anything else.

The question hung in the air, heavy as the smoky scent of the bar. Maya could practically feel Jan's heart pounding. Whatever it was, it was big. Big enough to either bring them closer, or maybe... change everything. This night had been way more than just drinks and fancy cocktails, and they both knew it.

Maya's heart was doing double-time. Jan just dropped a bomb, her words a jumble of need and fear... and something else, a flicker of something Maya swore she saw in herself, too. It'd be so easy to step back, say something safe like "Whoa, slow down." But Jan's hands, they were gripping hers so tight, like she was terrified Maya might vanish.

"Hey, it's okay," Maya blurted out, more to herself than anything. She squeezed back. "You're not...it's not like you're wrong. This--" Maya gestured helplessly at the space between them, "--this ain't normal, but in a good way? Like... damn, Jan, when you kissed me, it was like finding that missing puzzle piece. You get me?

They kinda just sat there for a second, y'know? Like that weird pause in a song right before the beat changes. Maya took this big gulp of air, and for a second, I thought she was gonna chicken out. But then she looks at me, all serious, and says, 'Jan, everybody's got something locked up inside. Sometimes the stuff we're most scared of... that's the stuff we wanna talk about the most. I wanna know what's in your head. I think... maybe I'm ready to hear it.'"

Her words felt like...I don't know, like a hug after you've been crying. I could see she meant it, that whatever I said wouldn't freak her out. My shoulders finally stopped feeling like they were gonna touch my ears. Still nervous, yeah, but there was this tiny light in my eyes now. Like maybe I could do this, actually let her in. Could've been the coolest moment of my life if the waiter hadn't barged over all, 'Sorry ladies, closing time!' Seriously, dude?

Just when I was finally getting up the guts to spill, the world goes and interrupts. Cruel, right? But I grabbed Maya's hand, squeezed tight. "C'mon," I whispered, kinda desperate, "My place is just down the street. We can talk there. No one to bother us." I saw the question in her eyes - was this too much, too soon?

My own hand was shaking against hers, a weird mix of fear and...excitement? Years of keeping everything bottled up, and now I almost couldn't wait to let it out. Crazy how just knowing Maya was there, ready to listen, made all the difference.

Jan looked at her, hope blazing in her eyes like it was holding a damn Olympic torch. Maya could practically see the plea -- come with me, somewhere we can just be ourselves. For a second, a flicker of doubt... what if they weren't on the same page? But then, she remembered that kiss, the way Jan looked at her like she was the only person in the room. It was more than a coffee date gone weird, it was a chance at... something real.

"Okay then," Maya grinned, matching Jan's bright smile. "Let's get out of this bar. Lead the way." They left, and the unspoken maybe we're in this together hung in the air between them. The night felt wide open now, and so was whatever this was between them.

Jan's walk was almost a bounce, even with the nerves buzzing under her skin. Maya trailed behind, just watching her for a second, a soft smile on her face. Damn, the woman was cute. The night was still new, and whatever tonight became, it wasn't something she'd have seen coming this morning. Each step felt charged with the possibility of... well, something. Their pulse quickened, mirroring the city's energy even on this quiet street.

Finally, Jan's apartment. Key fumbling a bit -- nerves -- then the door swung open. "Tada!" she said, voice kind of squeaky and adorable. With a little laugh, she grabbed Maya's hand and pulled her inside. The door clicked shut behind them and suddenly, it was just the two of them. Jan pressed back against the door, their bodies almost touching, and she was breathing a little too fast.

"This is insane," Jan blurted out, her voice a giddy mix of shock and excitement. "Like, have we actually been transported into an old-timey detective flick or something?" She gave Maya a wide-eyed look, the corner of her mouth twitching in a half-smile.

Maya chuckled, the sound low and warm. "Right? Kinda wish I'd brought a fedora." Her eyes flickered over Jan, landing somewhere soft near Jan's cheekbone. It made a little shiver run down Jan's spine, but not a nervous one.

This wasn't just about the secret anymore, the thing they were going to talk about. Well, it was, but there was more now. It was about...could it be...a connection? Someone who got it, who wanted more than just surface stuff. The idea was wild and hopeful, and just a little bit terrifying.

Maya's eyes held hers, and it was more than just a shared moment of laughter. It felt safe, warm. Like maybe those walls Jan had spent years building were a little bit crumbly. Like maybe she could try something new.

Her fingers twitched, then inched closer to Maya's on the table. She traced the faded wood grain slowly, each bump and groove under her fingertips a story she didn't have the words for yet. Like somehow just touching Maya might say the 'thank you' that felt stuck in her throat. Thank you for being here, for making this whole crazy thing possible.

"I... I have scars," she started, voice barely above a whisper. "From old fights." She swallowed, the words sticking. It felt like handing over her deepest secret, the part of her she always hid. A flicker of worry flashed across her eyes -- stupid to care so much. But with Maya...

"Would you...could I show you?" Her voice barely rose above a whisper. If Maya said no, if her face twisted in disgust, Jan wasn't sure what she'd do. But Maya was different...right?

Maya's kiss, light on her lips, was the answer. It tasted like relief and something warmer, something Jan didn't dare name yet. Her heart thrummed under Maya's touch when she whispered, "I'd be honored."

12