Fledgling Demigod Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Meaning?" another brunette woman asked.

"Meaning we'll go straight to the emperor's harem," Anna answered. "We'll travel by twos, minimum," she ordered. "No woman is to be alone in the city for any amount of time."

"Yes, sir," the women said and saluted.

"Very nice," Galen said to Anna. "I'll see you at the castle."

"You will?" the woman who said she wanted his child said.

"Can it, Brittany," another woman said. "He's too busy for you."

"That's not necessarily true," Galen said then blinked and Brittany's eyes filled with hope as she followed her troops to the city.

"Why the hell did I just say that?" he asked.

["You're welcome,"] Devi said in a sing-song tone in his head.

He facepalmed with his free hand as he said, "You're gonna be the death of me, woman. You're speaking for me, now?"

["Only if you try and do something I don't approve of,"] she said sweetly. ["And I don't approve of you turning down women offhandedly."]

"What the hell," he said and the duke whimpered again. "Let's go, yella," he told the man and started walking toward the duke's tent. "Let's hope your tent didn't burn down. I want to see what kinds of things a coward brings to war."

Priscilla landed next to him a moment later and nudged him with her snout, then nudged the duke, who cried out and pissed himself again. "Take him to the city," Galen ordered. "Have him locked in a cell wherever noble prisoners are normally kept then have Lucinda come join me at his tent. I assume you need a few hours to change back to human?" She nodded. "I might be asleep by then. I'll probably be asleep for a few days." She looked at him and growled slightly. "Don't worry. I'll be alright at least until Lucy and her guards get here. Send your matron, too, if she wants to come. She might find something useful in the mage's tents." She snorted. "Now, now," he said. "Don't be too hard on her. She thought she was doing what was best for her species is all. I'm confident she's seen the error of her ways and will at least attempt to start treating you differently." She growled something that sounded like a question and Galen got he impression she said 'truly'. "Yes," he replied. "Now go," he said holding the duke aloft. "And have someone tend to him so he doesn't die of his injuries quite yet." She roared and took off with the duke in her front paws.

["It's done, my love,"] Devi thought into his head. ["As soon as Lucinda gets here I need to let go."]

"Okay, my goddess," he said as he made his way to the duke's tent. It took a few minutes and when he arrived, he opened the flap and looked inside. It was quite lavish with a four poster bed and Armoire and even a bathtub. "Talk about eccentric," he mumbled as he entered and left the Drakken to guard the flap.

There was a rustling noise coming from the chest at the end of the bed. Galen immediately went on guard as he slowly approached the chest. "H-hello?" someone called from inside. "Is anyone there?" It was a woman's voice.

Galen flipped the straps on the chest and opened it. There was a girl inside. Galen looked confusedly at her for a moment. She was a pretty thing, with brown hair and eyes, perfectly sculpted eyebrows and a round face. She was wearing what appeared to be a nightgown that left little to the imagination. If not for a chest wrap and panties he'd have been able to see much more than she'd want him to. She was sitting with her knees to her chest and her feet crossed at the ankles. She had what looked like a dress next to her and hugged it to her chest to give herself some added measure of modesty.

"How... did you get in there?" he asked.

["Really?"] Devi said. ["That's your first question?"]

["It seemed relevant,"] he replied.

"My father locked me in here," the girl said.

"Your father?" Galen asked. "Duke Latham?"

"Yes," she replied looking annoyed and angry. "Who are you and where is the bastard so I can stick a knife in his gut."

Galen smiled softly. "I'm Galen Ford, King of Redd and acting Duke of Spellthorn," he replied. "As for your father, I'm afraid he's indisposed at the moment."

"Is he dead?" she asked excitedly as she moved forward in the box. "Did you kill him?"

"Uh, no," he replied. "Not yet, anyway. I need information from him first."

"I'll tell you anything you want to know if you get me out of this box, my lord" she replied. "I've been cooped up here for days!"

"Really?" Galen asked.

"Well, not concurrently," she replied. "He would let me out to eat and drink and relieve myself. He even had the audacity to watch!"

"Sounds like real piece of work," Galen replied. "What's your name, kid?"

"I'm not a kid," she huffed. "I just came of age this week."

"Oh, well that makes perfect sense then," Galen said sarcastically.

"What does, my lord?" she asked.

"Not familiar with sarcasm?" he asked. "Your name?" he prodded without giving her a chance to answer.

"Lady Hannah, my lord," she replied.

"Well, Lady Hannah," Galen said as he extended a hand to her. "Let's get you out of that box, then. My wife and her guards will be arriving shortly and she can take care of you from there. As soon as she gets here I'm going to pass out for a couple of days. And before you ask, yes, all the rumors you heard are most likely true. I made a decree allowing women more freedoms. Specifically the freedoms to choose what they want to do."

She took his hand and let him pull her to her feet. She was shaky as she stepped out and fell against him as she tripped. "I-I apologize, your highness," she said as she attempted to straighten. "Today has been the longest I've been in the chest without a break and I'm afraid my legs aren't up to the task of supporting me."

"Here," he said motioning to a chair. "Sit down for a minute."

"What I really need is to stretch my legs, my lord," she said. "Can we go outside? Maybe to the privy? I've not been all day."

Galen sighed and shook his head slightly. "I'm not sure you want to go out there," he said. "It's a slaughter."

"If it will get me to the privy faster, I'll close my eyes," she said. "I just really need to walk."

"Suit yourself," he said. "You know where it is, I assume?"

She nodded as he held her close to help her walk. When they got to the tent flap, she buried her face in his shoulder. "To the left forty paces then right twenty, my lord," she said into his shoulder.

"That's oddly specific," he said as he started out the door. The Drakken followed him closely, eyeing the young girl with suspicion.

"I've been cooped up in that chest all week, my lord," she said, stiffening slightly. "I've had little time to do anything but memorize mundane details."

"Touché," he replied. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

She sighed. "It's not your fault, my lord," she replied. "My bastard of a father just... never mind."

"So, why did he bring you here and not leave you at home with your mother?" Galen asked.

"My mother died when I was a child," she replied. "My father's other wives often ostracized us as my mother was not of noble birth. It didn't help that she was father's favorite."

"Ah, jealousy," Galen replied. "So your father brought you along to keep you from their wrath?"

"Partially," she replied. "Also to keep me hidden from the emperor until I could marry."

"Didn't the young man's family have everything arranged already?" Galen asked.

"No, my lord," she said and blushed. "Father only barely found someone willing to marry me a week before being called to lead the army here."

"Here we are," he said as they arrived at a small tent. The smell alone was enough to convince him this was the right place.

She kept her eyes closed as she reached for the tent flap. He gingerly took her hand in his and she started for a moment, but let him guide her hand to the flap. "Thank you, my lord," she said as she disappeared inside. He walked away a few paces to give her some privacy and a few moments later she called out to him. "I'm finished, my lord."

Walking back to the tent he put his hand inside and he felt her hand take his. Guiding her back outside and back to the duke's tent he continued their conversation. "So what happens if you go back without your father?" Galen asked.

"The emperor," she replied as color drained from her face.

"And your courtier?" he asked.

"If I may say so, my lord," she said into his shoulder. "you may be king, but you certainly don't act or talk like one."

"Well, let's just say I'm still learning," he replied with a chuckle.

"The correct term is suitor," she instructed him. "And he's most likely dead." She waved an arm around the area.

"He was with the duke's army?" Galen asked and she nodded into his shirt.

"I'm sorry," he replied with genuineness.

She shrugged her shoulders slightly. "I didn't know him that well," she replied. "He was an older man, though. Probably around ten years my senior."

"Well, I did take some prisoners," he replied. "He might be among them."

She suddenly looked up at him and her eyes showed her fear. "Please, no, my lord," she begged. "Don't make me marry him."

"Oh," Galen said, surprised. "Honey, you don't have to marry anyone you don't want to," he said as he patted her hand. "You're in Redd, now, and we do things a bit differently here."

She smiled at him gratefully before burying her face in his shoulder once more. "May I ask a question, my king?" she asked.

["Uh oh,"] Devi said with a chuckle.

["What, uh oh?"] he thought to her.

["I think you just sealed your fate with wife number nine or ten,"] she said as she giggled.

Galen groaned inwardly. "Certainly," he replied to Hannah cooly.

"Is it true you have the strength of a god?" she asked and tightened her hold on his arm.

"Honestly?" he asked. "Yes and no. When I'm directly threatened with harm, yes. During everyday activities, not so much."

"How it that possible?" she asked.

Galen opened the flap to the duke's tent and ushered her inside. Once inside she looked at him with awe and reverence as he struggled to come up with an answer. ["Well, miss goddess of mine? Any ideas?"] he thought to his goddess.

["Ooh, tell her you're an alien,"] she said, giggling.

["Ha ha,"] he thought dryly.

["What? It's partially true. Or how about you're a displaced demigod who is only in touch with his god when his life's in danger?"] she giggled.

["Come on,"] he thought to her. ["This is serious."]

["Oh, you're no fun,"] she replied. ["Just tell her the truth without specifically mentioning me."]

"My lord?" Hannah asked. "Are you alright?"

"What? Oh, yes," he stammered. "Sorry. Just having an argument with my annoying subconscious." He received a mental slap on the ass for that one. "The truth is I'm not entirely sure how that works. During battle or if my life is threatened, my body gets flooded with strength and speed. Other times I'm just a normal guy trying to survive in a cruel world."

"Hmm," she said, pondering his words. Then, realizing she was still in her underclothes, she blushed to her roots and quickly grabbed her discarded dress from the chest. Galen turned his back to give her privacy as she dressed. "So, it's true, then, that you killed King Jasper? That he kidnapped your wives and murdered them?"

Galen stiffened slightly. "And my unborn children," he whispered coldly.

He felt a delicate hand on his shoulder and turned to see the sympathy in her eyes. "I'm sorry for bringing it up," she apologized. "You must be devastated."

He nodded. "Haven't even had a chance to breathe, let alone grieve," he said. She cupped his cheek and smiled sadly at him. They heard the pounding of horses approaching and a moment later, Lucinda opened the flap and strode in like she owned place. Stopping when she saw Hannah, her hand instinctively went to her sword. Hannah ducked behind Galen as he held up a hand to stop his wife from drawing her blade. "Easy, beautiful," Galen said. "This is Duke Latham's daughter, Lady Hannah," he said as he moved to the side to introduce the young woman. "Hannah, this is my wife, Lady-"

"YOUR HIGHNESS!!" Hannah squeaked and fell to her knees in supplication.

"Lu... cin... da," Galen finished. He looked at his wife. "That's the third time today someone's recognized you, my love."

Lucinda groaned. "Get up, girl," she growled. "I'm no longer part of that life so please just treat me as you would any other king's wife."

Hannah got hesitantly to her feet. "But, your highness, you are the emperor's daughter," she said with her head still bowed.

"Not anymore," Lucinda said as Galen yawned.

"I gotta lie down," he said. "Will you make sure she's looked after, my love?"

She smiled curtly at him then kissed him. "Certainly, husband. Devi has already briefed me. Sleep, now, and I'll see you in a couple of days."

"I love you," he said as he lay down on the bed.

"Love you, too," she said but he didn't hear her as he was asleep before his head even hit the pillow.