Flora & Fauna Pt. 15

Story Info
Centaur and human girl fall for each other.
8.7k words
4.41
2k
2

Part 15 of the 16 part series

Updated 02/21/2024
Created 06/13/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

.

The bare bed is a surprise. Made, the pink sheets and fluffy duvet tucked in absurdly tight, but no outfit resting on top. I had expected Claudius to have a dress chosen for me like before. The tassel-ended ties are braided together and I freeze mid step in the doorway when I notice them.

"Quince! I can tell you've been in here!"

A disappointed sound coos from behind the drapes and the sprite appears with her limbs hanging heavily in a dramatic, pouting posture. "I wanted to surprise you."

"You mean jump out and scare me?"

The fluttering of her wings pauses, making her bob in the air, before she responds. "It's the same thing if you think about it."

The admission makes me laugh as I throw my backpack and coat on the carpeted floor. She flies closer and sits in the crook of my neck. Based on the seams around the bathroom door, it doesn't look like there is any light in Claude's bedroom.

"Any ideas on what he wanted me to wear?"

Her shoulders circled in a bright glow shrug at me. "The fancier the better is always a safe bet."

"Good point." I respond as I swing open the armoire doors and look through all my options.

Before I've even browsed half the dresses, his door slams open and closed on the other side of the bathroom. Quince and I flinch in unison before turning toward the connecting room. Claudius storms in, looking frazzled and sighing loudly as he pulls the top buttons of his shirt loose.

"Yes, yes. I know I'm late and I'll get something ready. You don't need to tell me."

"I wasn't going to say anything." I jump out of his way to let him skim through my wardrobe.

"That meeting was supposed to be done an hour ago. I don't know why my father has to say ten different goodbyes to every-"

"I know your preferences by now, you know? I could pick something appropriate myself if you want to wash up."

"Really?" He looks at me for the first time since he appeared. "Okay. Good. I'll meet you on my side in twenty?"

"Twenty. Got it."

He looks relieved and begins to turn away, then his gaze darts down to my hand. "Remember to put your ring back on."

"I will." My thumb rubs over the naked spot on my ring finger.

.

The fleece-lined, teal silk is chilled and heavy as I shuffle my body into the gown. The off-shoulder fit is similar enough to my new year's gown that I easily adjust most of it.

"Please don't braid them this time." I say over my shoulder as Quince flies back and forth, pulling the corseting ribbon tight along my back.

"I promised nothing." she sing-songs in my ear as she ties the ends in a bow.

As I turn in the vanity mirror to check her work, she flies to the drawers and works with all her might to pull one open. The necklace Claude gave me for solstice sits in a vibrant velvet setting inside. The sprite helps me clip the closure at the back of my neck as I pull open another drawer for matching earrings.

As Quince and I enter his bedroom, Claudius is frantically finishing buttoning the high collar of his white shirt. He gives us a curt nod as he dips his fingers into a tin of pomade and slicks his clean hair back again. I lean back against the wall, letting him fuss to whatever degree he feels is necessary. Quince glances from me to him, then leans against the wall beside as best as she can with the fluttering wings at her back.

He nods when he looks our way and takes in my chosen gown. "Hopefully this won't take too long. It will be a busy night but if we're lucky that means everyone will wear themselves out quickly and we won't be relied on for much of the conversation at the dinner table."

"Okay." I nod.

"And no alcohol."

"Ugh." I roll my eyes. "Dry parties are so lame."

"I meant no alcohol for you. Specifically you."

"What? Why not?"

"Because as far as my parents know, we are trying for a baby. And the next part of our story probably won't go over very well if they've seen you sipping scotch."

"Oh. That."

"And there's one other thing we have to discuss."

"No food or fun or breathing?" I ask as I watch him center the platinum ring on my finger.

"You don't know Marko tonight."

"Huh?"

"Some of the investors mentioned they may want to visit the gallery tonight after dinner. If that happens, you need to understand this: you and Marko have never met. You are not friends."

I can feel my expression fall as he goes on.

"Believe me, I know it's not comfortable, but he has a role to play in this too. And we both need to make it easier for him. And for me. Don't linger, don't be overly open with him. You are not friends tonight."

"Okay." A chill runs through me at the intensified roll I have to play. It's become almost easy in front of Claude and his parents. "I understand."

Quince flutters through the gap left in the bedroom door, halfway through pulling on her snowball coat. "Your father just arrived. I stayed by the carriage seams for the last block and Jacob mentioned wanting to buy something at the gallery for his fiancee."

Claudius sighs and looks down at me again. I nod assuredly and his hands release mine.

.

The rocking of the carriage smooshes my cheek where it rests against Claude's shoulder as we head for the gallery. He, his father, and the sprite dozing in my coat are the only others riding in the red velvet interior. They keep their voices low, at least one of them genuinely believing that I'm asleep. Tired isn't even the right word for what I am right now. Perhaps drained is more applicable. The guests of the evening are such loud peacocks that the last few hours have left me grumpy and wanting to be alone. Or, more preferably, spending time with Andrius. It's reminded me why I so quickly revelled in the frank authenticity of his company. The two voices pause as I feel the carriage take a long, looping turn.

"You know," Edward begins in a gruff but friendly whisper, "I'm really glad to see you two growing on each other."

Claudius shrugs and the movement lifts my face, then brings me down. "She has her moments."

The patriarch laughs quietly. "I know that your mother and I... Well, I put a lot of pressure on you about getting married these last few years. But I always wanted it for your own good."

"I know," he answers robotically.

"I mean it, Claude. I've always just wanted you to be happy."

Everywhere my body is touching his, I can feel him tense painfully at the words. I hold my breath, counting each beat of my heart while I await his response. "Really?"

"Of course. You're my son. I love you. And, look, I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you that I didn't play the field a little when I was young. I get that that lifestyle can feel fun and freeing but, after a while, it's nice to have someone to belong to. Someone to come home to, that knows you better than anyone else and accepts you, you know?"

Over my head, I can hear the gulp of Claudius swallowing and the eventual tense breath he releases. "Yeah. I understand what you mean. It... it is nice to have."

The sudden stop of the carriage makes me yelp and my eyes snap open as I slam my heels to the carpeted floor to avoid flying into the opposite side. Claudius puts his hands on my shoulders and helps me back onto my seat as his father steps out with a grumble about speaking to the driver.

Outside the carriage, the gulp of cold air I take in front of the gallery makes goosebumps rise all over my skin. The lined peacoat and elbow-length satin gloves underneath do little against the bitter cold. Against my squeezed upward cleavage, I feel Quince shivering inside the inner pocket of the coat. With a mischievous expression, she darts out wearing her snowball coat and disappears into the dark. Prophia is somehow so much warmer and easy to tolerate the winter in. Although, I think, maybe it's the knowledge that Andrius is never far that actually keeps me warm.

Bells jingle overhead as the door swings open. One of the investors, a loudmouth new money type, is already standing at one of the jewelry cases and pointing out pieces he wants to inspect closer. For a split second, I nearly break character and smile at Marko on the other side of the glass case. I reign in the expression in time and tighten my arm that's looped through Claudius' as he leads us around the showroom. My tongue swirls around in my mouth, trying to rinse away the inharmonious combination of flavors. I spent the dinner making a point to create odd pairings and asking for every possible sauce, topping, and spice. If I have to feign a few pregnancies, we might as well start now.

"Do you want to get something?" he asks as we stop in front of a case of bracelets embedded in dark velvet.

I hold out my left hand and tilt it, before bringing it to my throat to toy with the large diamond hanging from the icy snake chain. "If I wear any more jewelry, I'm afraid I'll topple over into the snow."

Claude smiles in the way that he does when I've played my part correctly. He spoke loudly enough that I could tell our words were meant to be heard, and I answered in much the same volume. The words have a deja vu to them, I must have spoken this way and meant it before, but it feels so painfully dull now. I want to slide a knife between the corseted ribbons of my dress and be free from it. I want to do something. My mind wanders to the workshop in Prophia. To the unfinished four-poster bed frames I was going to polish while Andrius began work on the matching nightstands. And the low-shelf that he perhaps didn't mean literally, but that I am committed to literally build. There is so much to do there. So much more to be than a tamed, docile bride.

As those men who were interested in buying collect their wrapped purchases, Marko slides out a tray and sets it on the top of a glass case for me to inspect. I glance up and my smile falters at the lack of recognition in his eyes. But the others are still here. One of the men comes to stand closer to me and comments on one of the ruby bracelets, though he's already holding a ribbon-topped purchase in one hand.

"I'm sorry to have missed your nuptials." Marko says with all the appropriate distance of an uninterested party.

"Nothing to apologize for. It was no more exciting than any other party in Leaven."

There's no change in his expression, and he walks away to speak to another buyer as soon as I finish answering him. Claude's fist gently taps the glass case twice as he comes to stop beside me. When I turn toward him, I notice over his shoulder that all but two of the men we arrived with have left. And those two are distracted. His silver eyes glance toward a doorway behind the display case and back at me. I follow him as he goes between the cases and we slip into the combination studio-living space. As soon as the door closes behind us, he turns to me and sighs in exhaustion.

"I meant to ask earlier, but we were running late, are you okay?"

"Am I doing this wrong?"

"What? I meant at home. You told me last time that things were weird between you and Andrius."

I gasp in realization. In the month I spent in Prophia, I had completely forgotten the tearful outburst I had in front of him.

"Fuck. Did you two break up?"

"No, no, no." I quickly assure him at the sight of his troubled expression. "Kind of the opposite?"

He tilts his head at me and waits.

"It turns out the weirdness was, well, he bought me a ring?

"You're engaged?" he breathes out in an unreadable tone.

It'd be nice if, when we're not performing, he was easier to decipher. His tone leaves me uncertain how to respond. Claudius suddenly steps forward and his arms go around my middle. The feeling of my feet leaving the floor as he lifts me in a spinning hug makes me squeak in surprise. When he releases me and I get a look at his face, he's smiling widely.

"Do you want to do something to celebrate?"

"Wait... really?!"

"I mean, we can't exactly string a banner on the carriage that says 'Happy Actual Engagement This Time', but we could do something fun."

"Could we invite Marko and Quince?"

"No. Or, well." He quickly thinks about it and amends. "Unless you want to do something here. It would be a little suspicious if the four of us were out for a fancy dinner together for no discernible reason."

"I vote to do something here."

"Okay. Once this is over, we'll hang back and check in with how Marko is feeling."

I sigh tiredly. "Is this night taking forever or does it just feel that way?"

"Both."

With that simple answer, he swings the door back open and I feel my role click back into place like a thorn-lined mask being laid over my face. I wonder if it feels this uncomfortable for Marko and Claudius. Maybe they're used to it. Or maybe they're just more naturally gifted at this than I am. Edward and the last remaining investor are speaking near the front door, the latter's arms full of several ribbon-topped boxes. Claudius pauses in walking towards them to cast a conspiratorial glance at me over his shoulder. I nod back and go to the glass display case that already has a tray sitting on top. Marko is standing on the opposite side as I bow my head and pretend to inspect the matching jewelry sets. When I glance up, he lets his own mask slip with a small smile and blows out a puff of air that flips one side of his hanging hair out of his face. I suck in my cheeks to not laugh in secret relief. Behind me, I hear the jingle of bells as the last investor leaves.

"Do you want to share a carriage back?" Edward is saying to his son.

Claudius hums to himself as if he's considering it. "I think Flora is still deciding on if she wants something for herself. Don't let us slow you down though. Head home. We'll figure it out."

"Ah, best to not rush her then."

I turn back to wave as he calls out a farewell. As soon as he's gone, Marko groans and stalks to the door while fishing a ring of keys from his pocket. With the door locked, he turns back to us and the mask falls away to shatter on the floor.

"Well, that was fucking Hellish."

"You made a lot of money tonight." Claudius notes.

"I more than earned it talking to those snobs. I swear, I don't know how you-"

"Flora's engaged."

I choke on my breath and look to see Marko making an identical expression.

"Really?"

"More like engaged to be engaged? We didn't set a date or anything like that."

Marko laughs and wraps one arm around my shoulders. "Kind of like us then."

I gasp and look from one to the other. "You two are engaged?"

Claudius rolls his eyes even as a smile tugs up on the corner of his lips. He unlocks the door with a key of his own long enough to open it for Quince to fly in, then relocks it behind her. "It's not that big of a deal. Technically, we've been engaged for....?"

"Five years, I think?" Marko finishes for him.

"Sounds about right. Anyway, Flora voted for the four of us to celebrate together. Are you awake enough for that?"

"I'm plenty awake as long as I don't have to deal with any more of those stuck-up rich boys."

"So I should leave?"

Marko huffs out a laugh and shoves a hand into Claude's hair, ruffling it loose. To my surprise, he doesn't bother fixing it. Quince drapes herself over my shoulder and shivers from the remnants of the outside cold. I pull off my gloves and rest my hands on her like a blanket. She arches forward to whisper a congratulations in my ear as her wings vibrate against my palms. The punch-colored hair feels like a dandelion puff when I press a careful kiss to the top of her head.

Claudius pulls out his wallet as he addresses the sprite. "Quince-"

Her tiny voice groans as loud as possible.

"I know, but it's not like we won't share with you." He takes her satchel and slides a few coins in snapping the metal closure shut again. "It's late so order whatever pre-made stuff they have left at Vacca's-"

"Whatever they have that leaves enough for a good tip for the delivery man." Marko interrupts.

Quince nods along as she resituates the snowball-coat and satchel on her back, then flies back out into the night.

.

There is no white showing anymore on the canvas. Even the half-realized ideas that were there when I visited the studio after the wedding have been all but completely covered by new ones. One corner is cut out, showing the wooden frame underneath. Whatever idea was there, I guess it won't be included in the next exhibition.

Before the burlap delivery bags have been unloaded on the center table of the combination studio-living space, Quince has wriggled backward into the swaddle I've formed out of a blanket. I twist the remaining two corners around my neck so I can carry her with me to the options. The freedom of wearing the long shirt Marko loaned me instead of the heavy gown I arrived in makes me huff out a relieved breath and roll my shoulders.

As I pluck a petit four topped with crown-shaped frosting art, Quince swings her hammock forward to reach for one of the two bottles of champagne. Marko laughs and snatches it out of her reach.

"So, are we going to see the ring or what?" he asks as he tears the foil off the top of the bottle.

"Oh, I didn't bring it with me. I was afraid of losing it on the way. It's gold with a heart-shaped diamond." I twist the platinum ring on my finger as I imagine the one from Andrius in its place.

Claudius fails to hide his laugh in a cough as he reaches into a box of mixed items and takes out a bite-sized wellington.

"Fuck you, Claude. You're just mad that someone bought me a better ring than this one." I hold up my left hand.

"That ring costs more than your life."

"And it's the most pretentious thing I've ever seen. I never knew a ring could look like it's shoved all the way up its own ass. I can tell Marko had nothing to do with this."

Marko laughs at both of us and breaks the corner off a cake square. Quince abandons the swaddle and drapes herself over around his neck like a vicious, grabby scarf. Her tiny hands reach out to take the bit he broke off for her. The points of her many teeth shine in the light as she tears apart the cake corner.

"Have you ever had someone request a ring design with an embedded stone? That they wore turned to the inside of their hand?"

Marko chews the remainder of the cake bite as he pops the cork off one of the champagne bottles. He looks up to us as he pours a bit of champagne into an espresso cup for Quince before pouring regular mugs for us. "No, I've never had anyone commission anything like that. Why?"

"Apparently it's a centaur thing." I shrug.

"Speaking of centaur things, when are you going to tell me anything about him? You know all about the man I'm seeing." He drops down into a chair on the opposite side of the table, the movement making the sprite laying on him bounce.

I blush as I take a mug. "You never asked before."

"I didn't want to upset you, since I'm sure you miss him when you're here. But now that I have an excuse to pry-"

"She has a thing for blonds." Claude interjects.

"Oh, and you don't?" I raise a brow at him.

"Point taken."

"He's really pretty." Quince coos in a dreamy tone as she flies to the tiny cup, the final word echoing off the ceramic walls as she leans into it. Her nose is wiggling from the bubbles when she remerges. "What was the sexy solstice gift anyway?"

Red heat flushes my cheeks so fast they may melt and drip into the champagne. I look down to hide my expression in the mug as I take a sip. "Nothing of note."

"Liar." Quince bares her sharp teeth and glares across the table.

"Leather is all I'll admit for free."

Marko raises one hand. "I am also curious now."

"Don't tell him." Claude whispers next to my ear.

"I'm not telling any of you!" I laugh nervously and bury my face in my hands.

"I'll get it out of her!" Quince guarantees Marko.

"Enough about me! What kind of rings do you have?"