Flowers in the Park Ch. 02

Story Info
The beginnings of a special friendship.
2k words
4.6
4.9k
8

Part 2 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/20/2023
Created 02/13/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is part two, and it might be better to read part one ahead of this one. It's short, and you'll be glad you did!

As the trio of new friends made their way across the park, Alex processed all that had happened to that point. It had started off as another day of enduring a loneliness that was piercing her heart. But in the span of a few minutes, she'd met two new friends - both named Wesley Walker Watson, although the older of the two preferred to be called Wes. And now, they held hands as they walked to their respective cars, with Alex sandwiched between the two Wesleys, holding hands with both.

There was no talk between them as they walked, but occasionally the younger Wesley would pull on her arm as he chased after whatever imaginary creature he thought he had seen as they walked. On the other side, his dad seemed to be spending his walk time looking back and forth between his son and his new friend Alex. This scenario was totally unexpected by all of them - well at least the two that were older than three years old.

They reached he place where their cars were parked. The younger Wesley dropped Alex's hand and dutifully headed to the back door of his dad's car, on the side where he knew his car seat would be. Wes also dropped Alex's hand and started over to where his son was not-so-patiently waiting, while turning back to Alex, saying, "Can you wait a few minutes while I get him strapped into his seat?"

Alex smiled back and said, "Sure."

Wes opened the door for his son and helped him climb into his seat. Once Wesley was secured, his dad shut the door and turned to find that Alex had stepped closer to his car. Wes smiled and said, "Do you like hamburgers?"

Alex nodded and replied, "Yes, as long as they are from the Burger Shack. Shall we meet there after you take Wesley to his mom's house?"

"Perfect! I can see you have great taste in burger joints! It will take me about 45 minutes to get him dropped off and back. I'll see you at the Shack then - looking forward to it!"

Alex grinned and replied, "Me, too!"

She watched as Wes got into his car and drove off with his son. The 45 minutes before they would meet again gave her time to think through all that she'd just experienced. What had started off as another gloomy day had turned around in a direction she couldn't have predicted. She reminded herself that she needed to use her brain about this, because right now her heart was bursting at the possibility of having a new friend at a time when that was exactly what she needed.

Alex had time to stop at her apartment before meeting Wes at the Burger Shack. She thought about changing clothes but realized that nobody was ever looked down upon for wearing jeans and a loose-fitting t-shirt at a burger place. Showing up in the same clothes she had worn to the park would make it seem less like a date, and she figured Wes wouldn't have time to change clothes either. She looked in the mirror to check on her hair, running her brush through it a couple of times to straighten out some places where the breeze had altered it.

It would take her about ten minutes to get to the Burger Shack, so that meant she had another ten minutes to kill before she left. But there wasn't anything to do. Her apartment was always clean, so there was nothing to pick up and put in its place. She finally decided to go ahead and leave and wait for Wes at the Shack, guaranteeing she wouldn't be late.

Once arriving, she went inside and found a table for two in the corner of the cozy little restaurant. She looked at her watch and saw that it was still about ten minutes until Wes joined her. She looked over the menu and got refills on the glass of water that had been given to her as soon as she sat down. Then she waited some more, and some more after that.

Looking at her watch again, she discovered that Wes was now five minutes late, and doubt started to creep into Alex's mind. She chastised herself for getting her hopes up, for getting excited from just a simple handhold and a nice little afternoon with a handsome man and his cute and energetic three-year-old son. She should have known that the momentary respite from her despair and loneliness was just that - momentary, and not intended to repair her fragile mental state.

She waited ten more minutes, and each minute she sat there alone brought a little more darkness to her outlook. When she reached the twenty-minute mark, she stood up and started making her way to the door, stopping to offer to pay for her water, which was refused. She hung her head as she walked to her car. She chastised herself for allowing her hopes to be raised, since given her recent history, she felt guys just couldn't be trusted, and this was another example.

Her sad walk was interrupted by the squeal of tires on the asphalt street in front of the Burger Shack. Alex lifted her eyes in time to see Wes' car race into the parking lot, finding the first open space and slamming on the brakes to not run into the building. He got out of his car and raced around the front towards the door of the Shack. Before he got there, he saw her, standing next to her car. Wes ran straight to her, yelling out, "Alex, hold on!"

Alex wanted to enjoy the excitement she felt seeing him run towards her, but she guarded herself since he had been so late. "Alex, I'm so sorry! I was afraid you wouldn't still be here, and like an idiot, I didn't get your number before we left the park! Wesley's mom was late getting home, and I couldn't just leave him there by himself. I'm so glad I got back before you left!"

Alex let a shy smile escape her mouth. "Well...I was on my way home. I guess I didn't think about why you might have been late. With my luck lately, I had just chalked it up to another less than good experience. I'm sorry I was doubting you."

Wes laughed. "Well, what a way to start a friendship - both of us being sorry! Listen, if you will give me your number, I will never give you any reason to doubt me again. You don't deserve that, and it's just not my style. But let's do it now in case I get lost on the way to the restroom or something else stupid!"

Alex giggled as she pulled out her phone. The two quickly exchanged numbers, and then holding hands once again, headed inside the Burger Shack. The server that had just watched Alex leave now looked up to see that she was coming back in again, and this time not alone. She smiled at the couple and followed them straight over to the table to take their order.

As they waited for their food, Wes explained why he was late. "Once Janelle - that's Wesley's mother, by the way - once she finally got home, I had to stay there while Wesley spouted to his mom about meeting you and the fact that he'd given flowers to a beautiful woman because that's what his dad told him to do. So, I had to explain about our meeting and the fun we had. Wesley was quite taken with you, in his high-energy three-year-old way. I think if he didn't get to see you again, he might be upset."

Alex laughed. "Wait a minute - is that just you trying to use your adorable son to get me to go on a date with you? It seems like you might have already manipulated him a little bit before with the flower thing."

Wes appeared playfully shocked. "What? You think I'd use my son to meet a nice woman? Okay - maybe I might, but it's just because he's a lady killer and a pretty damn good wingman!"

Alex nodded her head. "I knew it! But I guess I can't say I'm upset with it. After all, I'm here with you now, aren't I?"

Wes blushed and replied, "I'll have to remember to let Wesley know that our team finally had a win. He'll be elated!"

The burgers and fries arrived, but neither seemed too interested in eating at that moment. Instead, they continued talking with each other, learning bits and pieces about each other's lives and interests and habits and jobs and all the other things friends share with each other. During their conversation, two hours flew by, and they were the last two customers to leave the Shack for the evening.

As they walked out to their cars, Wes took Alex's hand in his once again. He turned to face her, looking for the right words to say. "Alex, this has been my best day in a long time, and I don't want to mess this up. I did that once, and while I can't say I'm not unhappy about it because it gave me my son, I don't want to do that again."

He paused, and then looked down at his feet. "I guess what I'm saying is that I'm interested in becoming an even better friend with you, but I don't want to push it too hard. I kind of like the idea of seeing how this grows as we go forward. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but after doing it wrong the first time, I want to do this right. Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?"

Wes looked back up at Alex as she answered. "I do, and honestly after what I've been through, I don't think there's anything you could say that I wanted to hear more. I just ask that if at any point in time you don't see this working, please tell me. I don't think I could handle finding out the way I did with my last relationship."

Wes reached out and grabbed Alex's other hand as he looked into her eyes. "I hope we don't get to that point, but I promise you the last thing I want to do is hurt you. The way you reacted to Wesley's approach was great, and I know he's going to want to see you again. I certainly don't want to disappoint him - I'd never hear the end of it!"

They stood there looking at each other for a few seconds, and then Wes asked, "I'd like to see you again - what are your plans this weekend? I won't have Wesley, but maybe it's best to get to know him in little chunks instead of all at once."

Alex laughed. "Yes, I could see where that's not a bad idea. But unfortunately, I do have plans for this weekend. I'm going back to see my family as soon as school is out this Friday. But I wouldn't mind having another meal with you on Thursday, if you're available."

Wes smiled. "Thursday would be great! Shall we go for something a little bit classier than the Burger Shack? I'm a bit of a barbecue connoisseur, and if that's something you enjoy, I think I know a couple of places that should make you happy."

"I'd like that very much - it sounds perfect!"

He squeezed Alex's hands. "Do you mind if I text you this week to set up our evening? I don't want to appear overly aggressive."

Alex chuckled and said, "I think that would be fine. And I think I'd probably answer you back!"

"Then it's a deal - expect a text or two from me, because I don't want to leave you not knowing what's going on again."

With a quick hug, their evening was over. As Alex got back in her car, she smiled as she thought about her evening, and knew that the four days she had to wait to see Wes again was going to seem like weeks. But she felt it would be worth it, and for the first time in two months, she was going to bed that night in a good mood.